2023 Post-Season interview with head coach Danny Koska Alexander High School

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Post-Season interview with head coach Danny Koska Alexander High School

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name: Danny Koska

School: Alexander Local

Position: Head Coach

What were your main concerns entering the 2022 season?
Our depth as a team I knew we had great players at our starting positions, but the guys behind them were mostly freshmen. This makes it difficult when injuries start to add up, which they did, and we are forced to start a few freshmen.

After two A days were over, which player stuck out the most and why?
I would have to say Gibb Gambill surprised me the most because of his work ethic and leadership. I knew guys like Isaac Waller and Logan Jenkins would-be leaders, but it was nice to see a new starter like Gibb Gambill step up and take leadership on the offensive line.

Which team in the 2022 season was the toughest to prepare for?

Vinton County and Nelsonville-York set the standard for TVC play, so it’s always tough preparing for them. The TVC is always tough because you go from playing spread teams like Athens to ground-and-pound teams like Vinton County to Nelsonville-York, who can do both. There’s never an easy TVC matchup.

What were the high and low points of the season?
Starting the season 4-1 was huge for our program. That’s when everyone started to realize we were doing the right thing. The 1-4 finish after that was tough. The second half of the schedule showed us that we weren’t there yet.

Which win was the biggest last season?

Beating Athens was a big deal for us. They’re a great program that has a lot of tradition and success.

Which loss hurt the most?

Losing to South Point That’s a game we thought we could compete in, but they beat us in every phase of the game.

Do you think that online sales for tickets have affected attendance?
If you win, they will come.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams per region qualifying for the playoffs?

That’s a tough question. On one hand, it gives more teams a chance to play in a playoff game. On the other hand, it can create some big mismatches. As a coach, it’s a tough call because you want to look out for your players. As a player, I would want to play in a playoff game regardless of the matchup.

What did you learn most from last season that you will use to be a better coach in 2023?
I will do my best to ensure that everyone is prepared to play at the varsity level. When your numbers are limited, you have to get everyone varsity reps when you can because later in the season they might have to start.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Post-Season interview with head coach Danny Koska Alexander High School

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:45 pm Name: Danny Koska

School: Alexander Local

Position: Head Coach

What were your main concerns entering the 2022 season?
Our depth as a team I knew we had great players at our starting positions, but the guys behind them were mostly freshmen. This makes it difficult when injuries start to add up, which they did, and we are forced to start a few freshmen.

After two A days were over, which player stuck out the most and why?
I would have to say Gibb Gambill surprised me the most because of his work ethic and leadership. I knew guys like Isaac Waller and Logan Jenkins would-be leaders, but it was nice to see a new starter like Gibb Gambill step up and take leadership on the offensive line.

Which team in the 2022 season was the toughest to prepare for?

Vinton County and Nelsonville-York set the standard for TVC play, so it’s always tough preparing for them. The TVC is always tough because you go from playing spread teams like Athens to ground-and-pound teams like Vinton County to Nelsonville-York, who can do both. There’s never an easy TVC matchup.

What were the high and low points of the season?
Starting the season 4-1 was huge for our program. That’s when everyone started to realize we were doing the right thing. The 1-4 finish after that was tough. The second half of the schedule showed us that we weren’t there yet.

Which win was the biggest last season?

Beating Athens was a big deal for us. They’re a great program that has a lot of tradition and success.

Which loss hurt the most?

Losing to South Point That’s a game we thought we could compete in, but they beat us in every phase of the game.

Do you think that online sales for tickets have affected attendance?
If you win, they will come.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams per region qualifying for the playoffs?

That’s a tough question. On one hand, it gives more teams a chance to play in a playoff game. On the other hand, it can create some big mismatches. As a coach, it’s a tough call because you want to look out for your players. As a player, I would want to play in a playoff game regardless of the matchup.

What did you learn most from last season that you will use to be a better coach in 2023?
I will do my best to ensure that everyone is prepared to play at the varsity level. When your numbers are limited, you have to get everyone varsity reps when you can because later in the season they might have to start.
I noticed that Coach Koska said that beating Athens High School was their best win of the year. I'm sure that he was being very honest, because over the years Athens has pretty much owned Alexander, especially in football. He also didn't make any excuses when talking about getting beat by South Point. I know that you have been to Vinton County and watched a game, as you talked about being up on the roof. Maybe I have missed your post, but how often have you been to Jackson County, namely either Jackson, Oak Hill or Wellston? Good interview as always.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2023 Post-Season interview with head coach Danny Koska Alexander High School

Wellston once
Oak Hill zero
Jackson once
I have seen Oak Hill play
I have seen Jackson play but it was a road game at Logan
The game at Jackson was a neutral site playoff game

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:16 am Wellston once
Oak Hill zero
Jackson once
I have seen Oak Hill play
I have seen Jackson play but it was a road game at Logan
The game at Jackson was a neutral site playoff game
Thank you. You will have to come to Jackson sometime. They have one of the nicest football stadiums that you will find in the state of Ohio. Oak Hill has a very nice stadium, it just doesn't seat near as many people as some of your larger schools. Wellston has made a lot of improvements to their facility, it's just not a newer stadium.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Like I said I was at Jackson for a playoff game. I think it was Wheelersburg vs ??
I do want to see Jackson play there.

Return to “Football”