2023 Interview with the living legend six time state champion former Head Coach Chuck Smith

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Interview with the living legend six time state champion former Head Coach Chuck Smith

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Before you all read this I want to say without David Buchanan this interview would have not taken place, so I want you all to know how much I appreciate Dave for this. And Dave, I know you will read this thank you.

Can you give the readers a brief history of the head coaching jobs you have had?
1987, Allen County 1 Year
1988, Campbellsville, 4 years
1992, Boyle County, 19 years

What was your career record as a head coach?
235 - 68 24 years

How many state titles did you and your team win? Could you take the time to list them? I know the list is long.
6 times: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2017, and Runner Up 2 times: 2004 and 2019.

How hard is it to leave one job and take another?
Extremely difficult. You invest so much into making the program the best it can be, and when your kids buy into your plan and you leave, it is very emotional. Leaving a job is a necessary part of the job; all of mine were for personal reasons; my wife needed a job closer to where the family needed to be, and, of course, the UK opportunity.

If possible, can you give the readers a few of the best players you have coached?
All of them, every last one! If they stay and endure the challenge we put them through to change and build a winning culture that makes them special and unmatched, everyone is special and the best in my eyes!

Who are some of the best players you have coached against?
There are too many to list, but here are a few that come to mind.
All the Lec Cath QBs: Ryan Neff, and Beau Allen, to name a few
Several Danville football players There are far too many to name from the early 1990s to the early 2000s.
Wandale Robinson at Western Hills
The 2001 Hopkinsville team was unbelievable—maybe the best team we ever faced.
2003 Paducah Tilghman's team was outstanding—Hunter Cantwell at RB, Casey Kidd at WR—and possibly the second-best team we've ever faced. The 2019 Johnson Central team is dominant, particularly at quarterback.

What offense was the toughest for you to prepare for?
Those who have a variety of options available to them.
Those with the best players, without a doubt!

Are there one or two losses that still eat at you?
Yes, the two-state championships I lost—those are the only games I remember! I replay them all the time in my head; I use them as motivation!

With so many wins and state championships, is there any win that sticks out?
Probably the first state championship because it validated to the kids, the community, and the administration that what we had been preaching and working towards would pay off!

What do you miss most about being a head coach?

The coaches' office! That's one of the reasons David and I started our podcast, "The Coach's Office: Behind the Scenes."

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Interview with the living legend six time state champion former Head Coach Chuck Smith

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:07 pm Before you all read this I want to say without David Buchanan this interview would have not taken place, so I want you all to know how much I appreciate Dave for this. And Dave, I know you will read this thank you.

Can you give the readers a brief history of the head coaching jobs you have had?
1987, Allen County 1 Year
1988, Campbellsville, 4 years
1992, Boyle County, 19 years

What was your career record as a head coach?
235 - 68 24 years

How many state titles did you and your team win? Could you take the time to list them? I know the list is long.
6 times: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2017, and Runner Up 2 times: 2004 and 2019.

How hard is it to leave one job and take another?
Extremely difficult. You invest so much into making the program the best it can be, and when your kids buy into your plan and you leave, it is very emotional. Leaving a job is a necessary part of the job; all of mine were for personal reasons; my wife needed a job closer to where the family needed to be, and, of course, the UK opportunity.

If possible, can you give the readers a few of the best players you have coached?
All of them, every last one! If they stay and endure the challenge we put them through to change and build a winning culture that makes them special and unmatched, everyone is special and the best in my eyes!

Who are some of the best players you have coached against?
There are too many to list, but here are a few that come to mind.
All the Lec Cath QBs: Ryan Neff, and Beau Allen, to name a few
Several Danville football players There are far too many to name from the early 1990s to the early 2000s.
Wandale Robinson at Western Hills
The 2001 Hopkinsville team was unbelievable—maybe the best team we ever faced.
2003 Paducah Tilghman's team was outstanding—Hunter Cantwell at RB, Casey Kidd at WR—and possibly the second-best team we've ever faced. The 2019 Johnson Central team is dominant, particularly at quarterback.

What offense was the toughest for you to prepare for?
Those who have a variety of options available to them.
Those with the best players, without a doubt!

Are there one or two losses that still eat at you?
Yes, the two-state championships I lost—those are the only games I remember! I replay them all the time in my head; I use them as motivation!

With so many wins and state championships, is there any win that sticks out?
Probably the first state championship because it validated to the kids, the community, and the administration that what we had been preaching and working towards would pay off!

What do you miss most about being a head coach?

The coaches' office! That's one of the reasons David and I started our podcast, "The Coach's Office: Behind the Scenes."
I know that you have a lot of respect for Coach Smith. Just by some of his answers, he seems like a standup guy that will give you an honest answer regardless of the question. Compiled an outstanding won/loss record in his 24 year high school coaching career. A very good answer when talking about who were some of the best players that had ever played for him. Very good interview.

Lets Go Big Moe!
Riding the Bench

Re: 2023 Interview with the living legend six time state champion former Head Coach Chuck Smith

Post by Lets Go Big Moe! »

This guy sounds first class. How old is he and does anyone think he would consider coaching again?

LET'S GO BIG MOE! #CRUSADERPRIDE!513-791-1680

Return to “Football”