2023 Interview with new Marion Franklin Head Coach Cameron Fullen

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Interview with new Marion Franklin Head Coach Cameron Fullen

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name: Cameron Fullen

School: Marion Franklin

Position: Head Coach

Can you give the readers a little background on your coaching career? Where have you coached, and what positions have you held at each stop?
I started my career at Briggs High School for two seasons, where I was the defensive lineman and running backs coach. After that, I spent a season at Independence High School, where I coached the D line and the O line. I was also the JV head coach. I spent a full season and a COVID season at Otterbein University after that before finally landing in Knoxville with the University of Tennessee last season.

Looking at your non-league schedule on paper will be very challenging. The Red Devils dropped both non-league games to start 2022. How important will it be to get off to a better start this season?
It will be crucial to start off our season on the winning side. The season ended last season on the losing side, so we have to shift the momentum back to being in our favor. If we can kick the season off correctly, I think we will have a good shot at running the table and winning the city, but we have to start 3-0.

In watching Marion-Franklin last season, I was impressed by Tito Glass. How important will he be this season on both sides of the ball?
Tito is a big part of the team, not only from an athletic standpoint but in terms of leadership as well. His energy is fed by it, and it needs to be correctly followed. He is the heart of the offense, and if the heart isn’t taken care of, then the offense dies.

What changes will have to be made as far as getting Marion-Franklin over the hump to not just be a Columbus City League contender but the team to beat?
The biggest change we have made is stressing academic importance. If we can increase the numbers, then we can take some of the load off players like Tito so that when the game comes down to the final plays, he will be fully ready to go. We have also increased the intensity in the weight room. Being from Tennessee and being a strength coach, and having a full-time strength coach at the school in Coach Leeper, has already created an atmosphere that is next level.

What are your thoughts on so many City League games being played on Thursday nights and then on Saturdays?
I’m not a huge fan of Saturday games, but Thursday games don’t bother me. Either way, we will be ready to work on any day of the week that we are scheduled to. Being a former college coach, I am actually used to Saturdays being game days, so it’s not a big adjustment for me.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams in each region making the state playoffs?
16-team playoffs make it more competitive. I wish we had it when I was in high school, but I think it gives those teams on the fence the opportunity to start 0-0 and create magic moments. Having 2-3 teams all ranked 8-2 at the end and only one making it was heartbreaking. I went through it my senior year at Hamilton.

Do you think online ticket sales have hurt or helped game attendance? Explain.
I think it hurts because not everyone is big on tech, and it does slow things down when it comes to attendance. Having to ensure your phone is charged and scrolling down looking for ticket emails can be the worst sometimes.

Coach Bell over at East has been able to schedule other city league teams from around the state. Once you get settled in, will we get to see Marion-Franklin do the same?
Firstly, congrats to coaches Bell and East. I spent most of my high school career at East, and it’s about time we made the school proud again. I do plan to get other cities public teams scheduled. Understanding that we have the same kids, resources, facilities, and opportunities makes it important to have these matchups. Not only could it increase recruitment for public schools if we built healthy neighborhoods, but it could also increase revenue for the inner city.

What can you do to get the numbers up at Marion-Franklin as far as the football teams go?
I plan to change the identity of the program. We are going to do a few things this year to attract more players, such as bring in guest speakers, change the look of the program, including uniforms, do heavy in-school recruiting of players from current players, fix eligibility across the board to get more kids eligible and find more ways to not only make football challenging but fun and rewarding.

In watching a lot of Columbus City League games, one thing I have noticed is that the kicking game seems to be lacking in all aspects. What will you do to improve this part of the game at Marion-Franklin?
I’m bringing in a volunteer kicking coach who will work on just kicking. Setting goals to hit a certain number of field goals before leaving the field We will host tryouts for the kicking position with current members and other students in the building so we can identify our guy early and get him as much coaching as we can before we start the season.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Interview with new Marion Franklin Head Coach Cameron Fullen

Post by VetteMan »

I'm sure that Coach Fullen certainly has the right idea in trying to get more kids interested in wanting to play. It kind of goes hand in hand, you start winning, it then starts being easier as kids then want to be a part of the team. When that happens, before you know it you will start getting more parents involved, as well as other fans wanting to support the team. Good interview as usual.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

He is a man with a good plan. I think it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I am rooting for him to do big things.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:01 pm He is a man with a good plan. I think it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I am rooting for him to do big things.
I just read a few days ago on Eleven Warriors where former Ohio State QB Stanley Jackson has been hired as the new Head Football Coach at Westerville North. Also 3 or 4 former Ohio State players have apparently agreed to come on board as assistant coaches with him. Westerville North has not had the success that they would like to have had in the past few seasons, so no doubt he probably has a tough job ahead.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I plan on covering the Westerville North/South game this season.

Return to “Football”