2023 Post-Season interview with Thomas Worthington Head Coach Michael Picetti

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Post-Season interview with Thomas Worthington Head Coach Michael Picetti

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Michael Picetti

School: Thomas Worthington High School

Position: Head Coach

Heading into the 2022 season, what were your biggest concerns?
We put a ton of work into the off-season and didn't have much success during my first two seasons. We were just hoping that the seniors would be the leaders we needed to take the next step.

After all the practices leading up to the first game of the season, which player or players stuck out the most? Explain.
Last year was the first off-season we had in three years that COVID didn't affect. We knew that Joey Zalewski and Will Cooper had made some great strides. Francis Brew and Connor Smith were ready to have a big year as well.

What will you remember most about the class of 2023?

They believed in what we were doing and pushed one another to be successful. Their leadership was instrumental in having the successful season that we did.

What were the high and low points of the season?
The high points of the season were beating our rivals and winning our sixth game for the first time since 1999.

Which team in 2022 was the toughest to prepare for? Why?
I believe the hardest team that we had to prepare for was Hilliard Darby. They run the triple option, and it's not an offense we see very often. It is hard to replicate in practice.

What is the best part of coaching football at Thomas Worthington?
The community and the players. They were so hungry to be successful that they were all in from day one.

I am going to put you on the spot with this question. Of the five losses the Cardinals had in 2002, which team was the best? Explain?

I believe the best team, top to bottom, we played last season was Olentangy-Berlin. They were extremely well-coached and didn't make any mistakes.

Looking back at the 2022 season, which road stadium had the best overall atmosphere?
The best road atmosphere was at Worthington Kilbourne. Two rivals playing the Wo Town Showdown

Can you tell us which seniors from last season will be moving on to play college ball and list the colleges too?
Joey Zalewski and Will Cooper, Tiffin University; Simon Smith and Chris Neal, Capitol University; Fede Becerra, Denison University
Last edited by LICKING COUNTY FAN on Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Post-Season interview with Thomas Worthington Head Coach Michael Picetti

Post by VetteMan »

I would say that it cannot be an easy job when you are like Coach Picetti in trying revive a program such as TW. When he speaks about getting their 6th win since 1999, I would say that is not an easy job in having to go against your Hilliard's, Dublin's, Olentangy's and Worthington Kilbourne just to name a few of the other Division-1 Schools in the area. No disrespect meant at all, but some of these other schools just might be known as being a little better when it comes to High School football in the past few years.

Return to “Football”