LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Post-Season interview with DE/OT/TE Anthony Shields Columbus East

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name: Anthony Shields

School: Columbus East

Class: 2024

Positions played: DE/OT/TE

Can you tell the readers what it is like to play for Coach Bell?
Playing for Coach Bell is honestly great because he’ll hold you accountable when you're wrong and congratulate you when you succeed. I honestly couldn’t ask for a better coach.

What did you learn about yourself during the 2022 season that you will use this coming season to be a better player?

I will use my same mindset this season, which is always humble and hungry.

What are you going to miss most about the class of 2023?

I will miss the little things about the class of 2023, such as having those little fun moments in practice.

Who was the best player that the Columbus East Tigers faced last season?
The best player we faced last year would have to be Steubenville’s QB Phaeton Hill or #1 Davion Bahr from Cambridge; they were both good athletes who did decently against us.

Who was the best team that the East faced in 2022?

Steubenville was the best team we faced last year, with them being good competitors on both sides of the ball.

Entering the 2022 season, what goals did you set for yourself, and did you achieve those goals?
I personally set a goal for us to just take the season game by game and not overlook any team, no matter their record, and we did that. I honestly think that played a big part in our success this past season.

After the team completed all practices leading up to the first game of the season, what team goals were set for the team, and did the team achieve those goals?
Coach Bell created a goal to win the City League North, qualify for the OHSSA playoffs, and make a run in the state playoffs. This is now the standard at East, and we will not settle for anything less in this upcoming season or the many that follow.

What was it like not hosting and winning one playoff game, but two of them?
It felt great to host those two games because it was just so exciting to be playing on our own field in front of our city, plus the great energy they brought when they came to the games.

Just focusing on the road game, which stadium did you enjoy playing in the most? Explain.
I enjoyed playing at Afrocentric’s field because it was the first game of the season and we had all odds against us. It just felt great when our side got way louder than their side when we came out with the great win.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?
It's great to make it to the playoffs, but what you do once you get there is really what matters because it’s almost like your season restarts when playoff time comes.

Can you tell the readers which schools have contacted you as far as playing football at the next level?
I have talked to many coaches as far as playing on the next level, such as in Cincinnati, Maine, West Virginia, Pitt, Toledo, Ohio, Akron, and Kent State.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Post-Season interview with DE/OT/TE Anthony Shields Columbus East

Post by VetteMan »

Sounds as if Anthony must be pretty versatile as an athlete if he is able to play three different positions for his team. I'm not sure if the numbers situation is a problem with some of the City League schools, as it is certainly a problem which a lot of schools in SEO are now being faced with. He also must be a worthy prospect at this stage of his high school career as he seems to be getting plenty of attention from quite a few Colleges.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2023 Post-Season interview with DE/OT/TE Anthony Shields Columbus East

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I watched East four times last season and the kid has not come close to his potential though he is really good at this stage of his football career. As for numbers East was in the lower 20's as far as players go.

Return to “Football”