Morgan joining the Twin State League? Other expansion?

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Re: Morgan joining the Twin State League? Other expansion?

Post by Play60Football »

MoCoSportsGuy02 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:24 pm Morgan and Maysville are the only schools switching based on the 22-23, 23-24 numbers.

According to OHSAA Website..

Morgan had 214 boys and 201 girls for 415.
Maysville had 220 boys and 193 girls for 413.

The rest of the MVL for next year
Large School

Tri-Valley 334 boys and 349 girls for 683
Sheridan 267 boys and 267 girls for 534
John Glenn 276 boys and 257 girls for 533
Philo 258 boys and 195 girls for 453
River View 210 boys and 215 girls for 425
Morgan 415

(Enrollment spread from top to bottom of the division 268).

Small School

Maysville 413
New Lexington 203 boys and 199 girls for 402
Meadowbrook 192 boys and 184 girls for 376
Coshocton 174 boys and 184 girls for 358
West Muskingum 150 boys and 172 girls for 322'
Crooksville 117 boys and 114 girls for 221

(Enrollment spread from top to bottom of the division 192).
Philo's Male/Female discrepancy is crazy. While Sheridans is split evenly!

But the MVL has 2 giant outliers in my opinion. TV and Crooksville..... If those 2 were gone that would leave (Sheridan would probably be all for it!) the rest in the D4-D5 range. I believe TV was entertaining it with some possible leagues that were rumored to be staring up a few years ago.... Never materialized. I wonder with MV to the LCL if the LCL would try to poach TV.

MV, ZVille, TV, WM, LH, Granville is a pretty solid group.

General
Waterboy

Post by General »

Sheridan loves the competition and rivalry with Tri Valley…….would hate to see them leave. They are going nowhere. However, Crooksville should beg the TVC to take them.

TomcatFootball11
Freshman Team

Post by TomcatFootball11 »

General wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:50 am Sheridan loves the competition and rivalry with Tri Valley…….would hate to see them leave. They are going nowhere. However, Crooksville should beg the TVC to take them.
I don't think Crooksville in the TVC would be a bad thing. Most years you have a guaranteed victory over Belpre, and they beat Southern this last year. I think the only thing stopping them from going to the TVC is being a charter member of the MVL.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

TomcatFootball11 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:54 am
General wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:50 am Sheridan loves the competition and rivalry with Tri Valley…….would hate to see them leave. They are going nowhere. However, Crooksville should beg the TVC to take them.
I don't think Crooksville in the TVC would be a bad thing. Most years you have a guaranteed victory over Belpre, and they beat Southern this last year. I think the only thing stopping them from going to the TVC is being a charter member of the MVL.
Crooksville and Miller back to the TVC hocking would be nice now that South Gallia is gone.

TomcatFootball11
Freshman Team

Dundas wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:54 pm
Crooksville and Miller back to the TVC hocking would be nice now that South Gallia is gone.
Miller leaving was stupid. They don't compete all that better in the MSL than they did in the TVC. Miller coming back and Crooksville joining would help the conference, especially the Hocking.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

MoCoSportsGuy02 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:24 pm Morgan and Maysville are the only schools switching based on the 22-23, 23-24 numbers.

According to OHSAA Website..

Morgan had 214 boys and 201 girls for 415.
Maysville had 220 boys and 193 girls for 413.

The rest of the MVL for next year
Large School

Tri-Valley 334 boys and 349 girls for 683
Sheridan 267 boys and 267 girls for 534
John Glenn 276 boys and 257 girls for 533
Philo 258 boys and 195 girls for 453
River View 210 boys and 215 girls for 425
Morgan 415

(Enrollment spread from top to bottom of the division 268).

Small School

Maysville 413
New Lexington 203 boys and 199 girls for 402
Meadowbrook 192 boys and 184 girls for 376
Coshocton 174 boys and 184 girls for 358
West Muskingum 150 boys and 172 girls for 322'
Crooksville 117 boys and 114 girls for 221

(Enrollment spread from top to bottom of the division 192).
All of that is correct. They are the spring 2022 numbers and it was used to determine the divisions for 4 years starting in 2024. Only Maysville and Morgan are switching. Back in 2018, the spring numbers of combined boys and girls posted by OHSAA was used for the divisions from 2020 to 2024.

In the spring of 2026, those numbers will be used to determine the divisions for 2028-2032 and so on.

If you look at enrollment trends and numbers in lower grades (per ode website), about 8 of the schools are not moving divisions anytime in the foreseeable future. Tri-Valley, Sheridan, John Glenn and most likely Philo are big division schools for the next decade and likely beyond. Crooksville, West Muskingum, Coshocton, and most likely Meadowbrook are small schools for the next decade and likely beyond.

That leaves Maysville, Morgan, New Lex, and River View near the line that separates the divisions. Mostly likely Maysville will be back in the big school in 2028 and it is fairly likely that River View ends up in the small school in 2028 with smaller classes headed to high school in future years.

It's a coin flip in 2026 who is big school and who is small school between Morgan and New Lex.

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

Is there anymore rumblings that some of the TVC Hocking teams would leave? Southern and Eastern?
Crooksville in the Hocking would make sense. I doubt Miller will be back..... But what about Nelsonville moving to the Hocking?

Nelsonville, Belpre, Crooksville, Trimble, Waterford, Eastern, Southern would be a group of similar size and culture

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If NY went to the Hocking, I would see Athens going to the TSL.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
1gcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by 1gcfan »

It has been said the MVL will not change the current lineup until 2028 and that is why a few applicants were turned away. A smart move would be to waive that rule and replace Crooksville with Cambridge. Crooksville could pair up with Miller and Zanesville Rosecrans in the Mid-State Small Division. I doubt this happens until Cville finally gets tired of being being beaten down year after year.

MVL 1938 Charter Members:
New Concord
Philo
New Lexington
Caldwell
Crooksville
McConnelsville
Glouster

Tri-Valley and Sheridan moving on to the LCL may happen before Crooksville leaves.

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

1gcfan wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:56 pm It has been said the MVL will not change the current lineup until 2028 and that is why a few applicants were turned away. A smart move would be to waive that rule and replace Crooksville with Cambridge. Crooksville could pair up with Miller and Zanesville Rosecrans in the Mid-State Small Division. I doubt this happens until Cville finally gets tired of being being beaten down year after year.

MVL 1938 Charter Members:
New Concord
Philo
New Lexington
Caldwell
Crooksville
McConnelsville
Glouster

Tri-Valley and Sheridan moving on to the LCL may happen before Crooksville leaves.
I actually heard a rumor this weekend at a wedding that certain schools in the MVL are not happy with the football crossover situation. Now it appeared they could be not happy about it but the MVL was probably now going to do anything about it. I would have to assume that would be Morgan or Crooksville

Yes I'm aware that it's pretty depressing a few dudes talk hs football at a wedding but OSU didn't kick off until 7:30 so we had to fill the time!

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Teams would rather stay at the bottom and get heads kicked in than go to a conference where they’d be competitive.

1gcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by 1gcfan »

I heard that Nw Lex is not happy about the crossovers as well. They would rather not play Tri-Valley every year. I am sure it could be arranged and Tri-Valley would be free to play another Central District team.

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

1gcfan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:07 pm I heard that Nw Lex is not happy about the crossovers as well. They would rather not play Tri-Valley every year. I am sure it could be arranged and Tri-Valley would be free to play another Central District team.
There seems to be some big contention in MVL Football. Small schools don't want to play crossover games and big schools the issue.

Buck Nut
Freshman Team

Post by Buck Nut »

Play60Football wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:28 am

Is there anymore rumblings that some of the TVC Hocking teams would leave? Southern and Eastern?
Crooksville in the Hocking would make sense. I doubt Miller will be back..... But what about Nelsonville moving to the Hocking?

Nelsonville, Belpre, Crooksville, Trimble, Waterford, Eastern, Southern would be a group of similar size and culture
NY is not moving to the hocking. If it would ever happen for some reason it would be in every sport except football. Would like to see Trimble move up to give the Ohio an even number and then the game could be moved back to week 5, where it was for years.

Go Bucks!!
1gcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by 1gcfan »

I don't disagree about Cville to the TVC but you have a century of tradition of basically playing schools east of them, not south. The only exception on a regular basis was Glouster when they were in the MVL. Hard for a community to accept new rivals. The MVL has always been in the Zanesville media market and yes their games in all sports are still covered by the Zanesville paper. Miller is seldom covered.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Jim Rockwell is likely rolling over in his grave that New Lex does not want to play Tri-Valley and Sheridan.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Anyone from Crooksville who votes to join the TVC Hocking should be required to ride the bus to Belpre, Eastern, and Southern for all basketball, softball, and baseball games. :)
Ditto to VC, RV, and Meigs if they join the Ohio.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

fortdawg wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:15 am Anyone from Crooksville who votes to join the TVC Hocking should be required to ride the bus to Belpre, Eastern, and Southern for all basketball, softball, and baseball games. :)
Ditto to VC, RV, and Meigs if they join the Ohio.
same drive they have now to Coshocton and River View

TomcatFootball11
Freshman Team

Buck Nut wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:01 pm
Play60Football wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:28 am

NY is not moving to the hocking. If it would ever happen for some reason it would be in every sport except football. Would like to see Trimble move up to give the Ohio an even number and then the game could be moved back to week 5, where it was for years.
I think Trimble/NY needs to be a week 10 game imo. I'd love for a 9-0 NY vs a 9-0 Trimble game. At the same time, I so get Athens and NY playing week 10. Just my two cents.

1gcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by 1gcfan »

teach1coach2 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:09 pm Jim Rockwell is likely rolling over in his grave that New Lex does not want to play Tri-Valley and Sheridan.
Rock would find a way to beat TV and Sheridan but not on a regular basis. Numbers don't lie. I loved the guy even though he once gave me a "F" in Phys Ed. To be fair he gave me an "A" the next six weeks. Apparently, I followed his recommendations!

Return to “Football”