2023 Post-Season interview with Columbus East Head Coach Mike Bell

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Post-Season interview with Columbus East Head Coach Mike Bell

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

This is one of those interviews that means a lot to me personally because Coach Bell and a lot of his players have gone out of their way to allow me to interview than and when I take in one of their games they welcome me as if I belong. So coach Bell thank you once again.

Name Mike Bell

School East High School

Position Head Football Coach

Heading into the 2022 season, what was the biggest obstacle the East Tigers faced?
Numbers, were a huge obstacle all year. Managing practice as well as games for the long haul.

What goals had you set for the team, and did they achieve them?
Well first we don’t set goals we set standards then we work towards those standards daily. Our standard every year is 1. Win the City North
2. Qualify for the state playoffs 3. Compete for a state championship, I can say we chased the standard pretty well last year.

How huge was it for East to not only get its first-ever home playoff game but to win it?
Cultural Changing! However, what it meant to the community and the city league was more monumental and historical.

Staying with the playoff theme I was there for both of the home playoff games as well as two regular season games (all wins). The crowd was big for the first playoff game, but for the second home playoff game, the crowd was the biggest of the four. Were you happy and a little shocked that it was as large as it was?

No, because we were the only city team left and no matter how hard we compete during the season at the end of the day we are going to support each other. So the city came out that night and represented strong.

What was the highest and lowest point of the season?

The highest point was the Cambridge win. The lowest point was Beechcroft week. We lost a classmate on Monday and it was just not a good time for the whole school.

The Tigers had several standout players during the 2022 season. Which one player shocked you the most with their play?

Honestly, we had several players step up this year. However, the player that shocked me the most was QB1 Wayne Lindsay. Some of the plays he made with his feet this year really shocked me.

Other than the loss in the third round of the playoffs, what will you remember most about that game?

It was a huge stage and we were there. It gave us motivation to continue to elevate our program. Playing Big Red gave me a clear picture to where we stood right now as a program and what it takes to build a perineal powerhouse program.

What did you learn most about your players during the 2022 season?

They were Resilient and they played for each other.

How hard was it on the team and staff having to play so many non-Friday regular season games?

Not that hard the short week of preparation always plays a role but to be honest I didn’t mind having an opportunity to watch some other programs play on Friday Nights lol

Can you tell the readers which players from the 2022 season will be heading to college to play football along with the schools they will be attending?

Well out of 11 seniors I have 7 going to play football, 1 attending school for Academics, 1 US Marines, 1 CDL Driving School, and 1 undecided.

Football

CJ Swanson- Notre Dame College
Wayne Lindsay - Ohio Dominican University
Junior Breaston - Capital University
Julian Albano- Capital University
Sam Terry Jr- Defiance College
Alain Georges- Ohio Wesleyan University
Solomon Vaughn- Juco (Undecided)

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Post-Season interview with Columbus East Head Coach Mike Bell

Post by VetteMan »

I know that there are some smaller schools that do not have their own football field, therefore usually sharing the football facility with another school. I know down in this area that for a number of years that Portsmouth Notre Dame would play their home games on Saturday, sharing Spartan Stadium with the Portsmouth Trojans. After the Trojans built their new school and new stadium, I think that Notre Dame now plays their home games still at Spartan Stadium, but probably on Friday nights. Do all of the City League schools not have their own football facility, or is there a particulier reason as to why they play a lot of their games on Thursday nights? I think we discussed this on an earlier interview, but I'm not sure. Coach Bell seemed to indicate that numbers were a concern of his with his own team, which seems to be a common situation with a lot of schools, not just your smaller schools. Regardless, he must have some pretty good athletes on that East team if that many are moving on to play at the next level. Good interview as always.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

All of the city schools here in Columbus do have their own field. I have been told in confidence by some coaches as to why they believe the city has had so many non-Friday games. The official reason according to the OHSAA is the lack of officials. However, if you were to look at all of the schools in the Columbus area that does not make a lot of sense.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:15 pm All of the city schools here in Columbus do have their own field. I have been told in confidence by some coaches as to why they believe the city has had so many non-Friday games. The official reason according to the OHSAA is the lack of officials. However, if you were to look at all of the schools in the Columbus area that does not make a lot of sense.
I remember now you mentioning the official reason being the lack of officials.

Return to “Football”