2023 Interview with Toronto High School Head Coach Josh Franke

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Interview with Toronto High School Head Coach Josh Franke

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name: Josh Franke

School: Toronto High School

Position: Head Coach

Can you give us a summary of your coaching career? Where all you have coached, including the position you held at each stop.
I started my career as a wide receivers coach at Central Crossing High School in Grove City, Ohio, in 2010. I took my first head coaching position in 2011 at Middlesex High School in Saluda, Va, for two seasons. My family and I moved back to Ohio in 2013 to be the head coach at Edgewood High School in Ashtabula for two seasons. I then spent three seasons (2015–2017) at Newton Falls High School in Newton Falls, Ohio. For the past five seasons, I’ve spent my time as the head coach at Toronto, my alma mater.

Toronto started out 4-0 last season, ending the season with a record of 6-5. What will it take to not only start off red hot again but to keep it going all season long?
Last season, we started 4-0 because our guys were focused on having a great season. They were very dedicated throughout the entire off-season, having 6 a.m. lifting sessions three times a week starting in January, and that work ethic allowed them to hit the ground running. However, in Week 4 against Buckeye Local, our senior star running back Zane Kinsey got injured in the first quarter. The team was able to face adversity and get us out of that game with a win, but he was just the first of several injuries that would plague us. Our first loss came to Oak Glenn in week five. It was a combination of trying to game plan without having Zane at tailback, and I think we got caught looking ahead to an undefeated rival Edison team that was coming to town the next week. We suffered several injuries, and by the time we played against undefeated Barnesville in Week 7, we were dressing 19 kids and starting five freshmen. Not ideal against a really talented opponent. However, we saw a lot of our young guys grow up and learn a lot, allowing us to finish the regular season on a positive note.

So, in order for us to have a similar start, we need to have another dedicated offseason preparing for a similar start. In order to continue our early success, we need to stay healthy, and that’s always key for smaller schools like us.

Of the six wins, which one sticks out the most? Explain.
Of the wins we had, which one stuck out the most? Honestly, the one we won 54-0 but had to forfeit It was our Week 10 game against Steubenville Catholic Central, and our guys were firing on all cylinders. The team came out extremely motivated, and it just seemed to be a night where everything was working. We were up 42-0 at halftime. Came out at halftime and took the opening kickoff back. Then he had a pick for the following possession. At that point, we played our reserves for the rest of the game. However, that’s only one reason that game sticks out. An additional reason is forfeiture, for several reasons. I learned a lot from that game. In the end, I blame myself. One of our players was ineligible at the end of the grading period in the spring, making him ineligible for the first nine weeks of the fall. Instead of quitting the team, he came to every practice and every event; he did it the right way. He got all his grades up and passed the first nine weeks, and as a reward, we decided to get him some playing time during the week 10 game against our rival. The grading period ended the day of that game. However, there’s a rule that states a player may not play until 3 days after the end of the grading period. Meaning he was ineligible that night. The opposing team turned us away, resulting in a forfeiture. Ultimately, I take responsibility for that; I should have known the rules and looked into them more thoroughly. But that game left a little bit of a sour taste in our team’s mouth, and it’s been a motivating factor this offseason.

Of the five losses, which one hurt the most? Explain.

Out of our losses, the one that stung the most was our playoff game against Lucas. Despite being the larger seed, there was really no way we had a chance to win. After jumping out to an early lead on the second play from scrimmage, we battled all night long. At one point, we were down by two scores. After scoring in the fourth, we had a fourth and goal stop, then drove it 99 yards with about 90 seconds left in regulation. Being down by two, we had to go for it. We called a designed run to our sophomore 6’3" 215lbs Qb who runs like a tank. Unfortunately, he was stopped short. We kicked an onside kick, recovered it, but then, after a short deliberation, the officials ruled the man who recovered the kick had a foot out of bounds, resulting in a Lucas possession. Lucas scored a late breakaway touchdown after morale was down. That loss stung; we felt we had momentum and could have won that game. Obviously, I questioned the two-point play call. Our senior tailback Zane was having an incredible night; he had 150+ rushing yards, and our quarterback wasn’t having the best night on the ground. That 2-point play should have gone to Zane. I should have depended on our senior leader, who was having a great night, to tie that game.

What will you most remember about the class of 2023?
What I’ll remember most about the 2023 class is that it was just two seniors, but two really good seniors. Zane Kinsey and Max Silverthorn (OT) are both Division II recruits and did a great job leading us to a winning season, which isn’t always easy with such a young team, but they really rose to the challenge.

Looking ahead to this season, what goals have you laid out for the team?
Looking forward to this season, our guys have been the ones to set their own goals, and, like most other years, we’re not afraid to talk about those goals and remind the team of them. We have almost the entire team coming back, so they’ve set some high goals. They’d like to win the OVAC, be a top-four seed in the playoffs, and win the region.

What did you learn about yourself during the 2022 season that you can use to make you a better coach?
I learned a couple of different things from last season. First, that depth is a big deal; sometimes you’re literally one play away from having the next man come in and having your season depend on them doing well. I need to make sure that the next man up, regardless of position, needs to be ready to step in and be a starter. When you need someone to make a play, rely on your absolute best player and leader to make that play. Finally, never underestimate what your opponent is willing to do to win, and be prepared for that. Your team can never be too prepared.

Do you think online ticket sales have hurt or helped attendance?
Honestly, after COVID, we went back to regular ticket sales and tried to stay away from online ticket sales. However, we’ve had to go to opposing teams because of strictly online sales, and although this is an inconvenience, I don’t believe it’s affected attendance.

What are your feelings about 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?
I’m not a big fan of the 16-team playoff format. In the past, being one of the eight teams to make the playoffs was an honor and privilege. Sixteen teams have taken away from that. The OHSAA has really profited from the expansion, and, for that reason, I don’t see it going away, despite a lot of the first-round games not being very competitive.

What is the best part of coaching high school football?
The best part of coaching high school football is the kids. Being able to help a kid maximize his potential, take him from the kid he is as a freshman, and help mold him into a great player but also a young man of good character... Knowing you were a part of that... That’s a special feeling. Then, having all those young men represent your entire community on a Friday night or through other acts of service and community events—these are things that make high school football special that college and pro football don’t have. Small-town high school football is special; it means a lot to a lot of people, and I’m proud, honored, and privileged to get to experience that at my alma mater and hometown.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Interview with Toronto High School Head Coach Josh Franke

Post by VetteMan »

I can see that numbers are not only a problem down here in SEO. If you are only dressing 19 players, you have very little depth at all. An injury to one or two key players can completely turn your season upside down. It seems as if Coach Franke has had a lot of coaching experience before landing back at his alma mater. Coach Franke would probably be considered as a perfect interview, as he gave very good detailed and thoughtful answers to your questions. Good interview.

Return to “Football”