Waterboy

OVC Outlook-Post Ironton

Post by Panther96 »

Thoughts

Paulcrew
JV Team

Re: OVC Outlook-Post Ironton

Post by Paulcrew »

I think they should still look to expand their conference. I think Symmes Valley, Oak Hill would be good additions

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

What I am hearing it could also be without Portsmouth.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

My prediction is Portsmouth leaves the OVC for the SOC.

OVC

Rock hill
Coal Grove
South Point
Chesapeake
Fairland
Oak Hill
Symmes Valley

SOC 2

Ironton would make sense but will never be voted into this league.

Gallia
Portsmouth
Wheelersburg
West
Waverly
Minford
Valley

SVC

Northwest

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

XandOs wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:30 am My prediction is Portsmouth leaves the OVC for the SOC.

OVC

Rock hill
Coal Grove
South Point
Chesapeake
Fairland
Oak Hill
Symmes Valley

SOC 2

Gallia
Portsmouth
Wheelersburg
West
Waverly
Minford
Valley

SVC

Northwest
The only thing is Valley is very close to D-7.
They really need to make a 3rd division in the SOC.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

Could be a toss up most years. If I were to guess, it would go something like this;

Fairland
Coal Grove
Portsmouth
Gallia
Rock Hill
Chesapeake
South Point.

I think we will see a rivalry between Coal Grove and Fairland over who takes over the top spot in 2024. Gallia Portsmouth could be in the mix. The bottom two spots are interchangeable.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

RollCoal wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:20 pm Could be a toss up most years. If I were to guess, it would go something like this;

Fairland
Coal Grove
Portsmouth
Gallia
Rock Hill
Chesapeake
South Point.

I think we will see a rivalry between Coal Grove and Fairland over who takes over the top spot in 2024. Gallia Portsmouth could be in the mix. The bottom two spots are interchangeable.
Feel like any of the top 4 are also interchangeable. Even on down years they likely don’t lose to the bottom 3 teams. Portsmouth & Fairland has developed into something similar to a rivalry. The 2 schools and fan bases do not like one another.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

XandOs wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:30 am My prediction is Portsmouth leaves the OVC for the SOC.

OVC

Rock hill
Coal Grove
South Point
Chesapeake
Fairland
Oak Hill
Symmes Valley

SOC 2

Gallia
Portsmouth
Wheelersburg
West
Waverly
Minford
Valley

SVC

Northwest
Can’t see northwest in the SVC that lone game to Williamsport to play Westfall during the week for other sports would be an issue as well as going an hour plus for each league game outside of Piketon

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Valley and northwest would make good OVC teams.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Team ovc
Freshman Team

Post by Team ovc »

RollCoal wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:20 pm Could be a toss up most years. If I were to guess, it would go something like this;

Fairland
Coal Grove
Portsmouth
Gallia
Rock Hill
Chesapeake
South Point.

I look for South Point to be very competitive the next couple years and Gallia still has some good young kids

on the black
Freshman Team

Post by on the black »

Word on the street is a few TVC schools are making contacts to put the SVAC back together. Oak Hill is in but won’t go without SV

LetsRide
Waterboy

Post by LetsRide »

on the black wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:11 pm Word on the street is a few TVC schools are making contacts to put the SVAC back together. Oak Hill is in but won’t go without SV
I heard oak hill was trying to duck out of most of their SOC games this year and schedule different opponents for those weeks..

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

What all does GA even return this year? I've been away from home for a bit.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I have heard for many years that Portsmouth will join the SOC, but it hasn't happened yet. I believe that PHS is very happy to be in the OVC which provides good competition and not a lot of travel with 5 of the conference schools in Lawrence County(not counting Ironton which has left for football). I personally want to stay in the OVC, and I haven't heard one of our fans complaining about being in the OVC. If there has been any vote to admit PHS to the SOC, all attempts to join have been shunned.

As far the 2023 season, Portsmouth will have to break in a new QB, possibly JT Williams, and replace several key WR's. The Trojans have been blessed the last 3 seasons with Drew Roe and Tyler Duncan playing QB. I just wonder if the Trojans will be able to have as prolific a passing game as those 2 showed during their careers. Having a good running game at some point has to be balanced with a good passing attack. Gives DC's more to consider.

Defensively, it's a yearly concern. Reality is though that the defense was good enough to win first round playoff games the last 2 seasons (Zane Trace and Union Local, both on the road). We got enough stops so that our offense could win the game.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

trojandave wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:52 am I have heard for many years that Portsmouth will join the SOC, but it hasn't happened yet. I believe that PHS is very happy to be in the OVC which provides good competition and not a lot of travel with 5 of the conference schools in Lawrence County(not counting Ironton which has left for football). I personally want to stay in the OVC, and I haven't heard one of our fans complaining about being in the OVC. If there has been any vote to admit PHS to the SOC, all attempts to join have been shunned.

As far the 2023 season, Portsmouth will have to break in a new QB, possibly JT Williams, and replace several key WR's. The Trojans have been blessed the last 3 seasons with Drew Roe and Tyler Duncan playing QB. I just wonder if the Trojans will be able to have as prolific a passing game as those 2 showed during their careers. Having a good running game at some point has to be balanced with a good passing attack. Gives DC's more to consider.

Defensively, it's a yearly concern. Reality is though that the defense was good enough to win first round playoff games the last 2 seasons (Zane Trace and Union Local, both on the road). We got enough stops so that our offense could win the game.
I actually think the defense will be the stronger unit of the 2. Return a lot on the defensive line. Boren, Poxes, Runyan & Cobb all return. Boren I think will be really good. Also returning will be JT Williams, Dylan Sanderlin, Noah Livingston, Chase Heiland who all started or played significant snaps last season. I feel okay about the defense, mainly stopping the run. This is with losing Hammond & Pendleton at LB.

Offense should be interesting. The OL will have Poxes, Sanderlin, McKenzie all returning. Add in possibly Boren, Runyan. JT Williams figures to be QB unless someone else steps up. Heiland & Nathaniel Berry at WR is solid. Have to find a running game. If the Parker kid is able to play then he seems like the ideal candidate.

Who Dey!
slayter
Riding the Bench

Post by slayter »

on the black wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:11 pm Word on the street is a few TVC schools are making contacts to put the SVAC back together. Oak Hill is in but won’t go without SV
I heard the same. Surprised the heck outta me when I heard that. Seems like a lot of travel, but some people really like nostalgia. If River Valley would join is the Hocking just gonna break away and reform under the SVAC name?

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Irrelevant

on the black
Freshman Team

Post by on the black »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:34 pm Irrelevant
Like you

BTWNTHE__