2023 Logan Chieftains

justlovefootball
Riding the Bench

Re: 2023 Logan Chieftains

Post by justlovefootball »

Yes. It's definitely still a few years away before the program sees a higher level of players coming through. The middle school program has been making some personnel changes. That should help as those years were typically where things fell apart .

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

cbolt wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:46 am I wish him well and hate to see coaches fired because it's not always on them. It's a hard, time-consuming job, but with the records of teams coming up, he'll be long gone by the time that team gets there. Reserves finished 3-5. Freshman 0-4 in a shortened season. 8th grade 1-7. 7th grade 0-7.
My class was 2-11 in two years of middle school football. Then went 31-4 in three years of Varsity football. So I've never relied too much on middle school results.

Injuries at the QB position REALLY hurt the high school program last year - left the JV with a first year football player (receiver) playing quarterback. The freshman class last year has never had much at QB and several of their best players were playing up a level most of the year.

At JV/Frosh level - if you don't have playmakers - it's REALLY hard to score points. The kids are too immature and inexperienced to consistently move down the field without penalties/mistakes.

Middle school program is in a huge transition. But there is a lot of talent in those two classes. I'm anxious to see what the 7th grade does in 8th grade. I think we'll see more results there this fall. Coach Sturgell is going to get these fixed down there. No doubt in my mind.

If we played the 2023 schedule for the next 4-5 years,I think we'd have a couple playoff teams. Going to be tough to go compete in the OCC but I think we're headed in the right direction.

justlovefootball
Riding the Bench

loganlocos wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:13 am
cbolt wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:46 am I wish him well and hate to see coaches fired because it's not always on them. It's a hard, time-consuming job, but with the records of teams coming up, he'll be long gone by the time that team gets there. Reserves finished 3-5. Freshman 0-4 in a shortened season. 8th grade 1-7. 7th grade 0-7.
My class was 2-11 in two years of middle school football. Then went 31-4 in three years of Varsity football. So I've never relied too much on middle school results.

Injuries at the QB position REALLY hurt the high school program last year - left the JV with a first year football player (receiver) playing quarterback. The freshman class last year has never had much at QB and several of their best players were playing up a level most of the year.

At JV/Frosh level - if you don't have playmakers - it's REALLY hard to score points. The kids are too immature and inexperienced to consistently move down the field without penalties/mistakes.

Middle school program is in a huge transition. But there is a lot of talent in those two classes. I'm anxious to see what the 7th grade does in 8th grade. I think we'll see more results there this fall. Coach Sturgell is going to get these fixed down there. No doubt in my mind.

If we played the 2023 schedule for the next 4-5 years,I think we'd have a couple playoff teams. Going to be tough to go compete in the OCC but I think we're headed in the right direction.
I agree with much of what you are saying. This year's 6th and 7th grade classes are 2 of the best football classes that have come through in a while. 8th grade has some good pieces as well. I think the 7th grade is just missing that person who can take it to the house on any given play, but they are very solid throughout. 6th grade has less depth, but more explosiveness. If all of them start throwing more we will see more success. I think these guys can compete with many OCC schools.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I also agree with much of that, locos, but back then it seemed like the cupboard was never bare from top to bottom. Classes were winning on a consistent basis. You might have had an outlier like you mention but the classes around them usually made up for it. Logan has been really bad from top to bottom for a while now. It didn't use to be like that. I sure hope they can get it turned around!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

cbolt wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:34 am I also agree with much of that, locos, but back then it seemed like the cupboard was never bare from top to bottom. Classes were winning on a consistent basis. You might have had an outlier like you mention but the classes around them usually made up for it. Logan has been really bad from top to bottom for a while now. It didn't use to be like that. I sure hope they can get it turned around!
Got to keep kids in the program first. I'm very optimistic that new leadership in the MS will help bridge the MS and HS programs together.

Logan was very lucky for many years - the Varsity staff didn't need to worry about what happened with the Tomahawks or even much of the MS program. Kids would work their way through the system, then by freshman year they get indoctrinated, and then the Varsity staff had material.

I think the current staff knows that it has to be more involved in development at all levels. We'll see if it makes a difference.

Now we're losing so many kids before HS. The Freshman program isn't having the same impact. And the classes are shrinking by 10th grade. Not only are they shrinking, but some of the better athletes are leaving the program.

I still thinking moving off the Hilltop has made the job harder. Football used to be THE "centerpiece" event for the city of Logan. It was big time every Friday night. I'm not sure kids see football the same today.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

justlovefootball wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:55 am
loganlocos wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:13 am

I agree with much of what you are saying. This year's 6th and 7th grade classes are 2 of the best football classes that have come through in a while. 8th grade has some good pieces as well. I think the 7th grade is just missing that person who can take it to the house on any given play, but they are very solid throughout. 6th grade has less depth, but more explosiveness. If all of them start throwing more we will see more success. I think these guys can compete with many OCC schools.
I've heard great things about those classes. Hopefully the development train gets back on track and we'll get to watch them star on Friday nights!

justlovefootball
Riding the Bench

The players are absolutely there. Can we keep them and keep developing them? Can't wait to see this fall!

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

the new league Logan is in.

whom is all in it

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
justlovefootball
Riding the Bench

I think Pickerington Central, Newark, Reynoldsburg, Lancaster, Teays Valley

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

justlovefootball wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:30 pm I think Pickerington Central, Newark, Reynoldsburg, Lancaster, Teays Valley
Yikes.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:56 pm
justlovefootball wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:30 pm I think Pickerington Central, Newark, Reynoldsburg, Lancaster, Teays Valley
Yikes.
Big boy football

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Groveport is also in there.

justlovefootball
Riding the Bench

I forgot them yes. Gonna be tough games week in week out. I truly think next year's 7/8 can compete when they are upper classmen in high school.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Got a buddy that lives in Reynoldsburg. He says they've been producing some big, fast, strong, and heavy load running backs here lately. :shock: Go get-um Eddy. Stop them. :)

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Logan
Canal Winchester
Groveport additionally

Logan plays Pick Central in their opening OCC football game in 2024.

Live Like A Champion!
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

:cry:
Ironmen98 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:08 am
Yikes.
Big boy football
Logan is going to struggle in this league. This is a very odd fit.

Harvey Wells
Waterboy

Post by Harvey Wells »

EasternDspy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:53 pm :cry:

Yikes.
Big boy football
Logan to the TSL? I have to believe if the tsl was forming before Logan decided to go to the OCC, they would’ve been on board.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Harvey Wells wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:10 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:53 pm :cry:

Big boy football
Logan to the TSL? I have to believe if the tsl was forming before Logan decided to go to the OCC, they would’ve been on board.
What teams could they beat in the TSL?

justlovefootball
Riding the Bench

All of them in a few years.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Who all is in the TSL??

AT THE RESERVATION