2023 New Head Coach Nicholas Bandstra from Bradford High School

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 New Head Coach Nicholas Bandstra from Bradford High School

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Nicholas Bandstra

School - Bradford HS

Position: Head Football Coach

Can you give us a brief history of your coaching career? Where you have coached and the position you have held at each stop

12 YEARS OF COACHING WITH 2 YEARS OF HC EXPERIENCE
2 YEARS NORTHWESTERN HS - HFC
3 YEARS FAIRBORN HSIRSTC 2 YEARS CO-DC 1 YEAR
2 YEARS ELGIN HS-DDC
1 YEAR FAIRFIELD CHRISTIAN ACADEMY - ASST.
1 YEAR LAKEWOOD HS-FFROSH HC
2 YEARS GRANVILLE MIDDLE SCHOOL - ASST.

After last season, what do you think is the best way to get the numbers up at Bradford?

MY FOCUS SINCE GETTING HIRED IN MARCH IS TO BRING ENERGY, ACCOUNTABILITY, AND RELATIONSHIPS TO BRADFORD. It will also greatly help that I will be teaching in the building next year, as they have not had a football coach in the building in over 10 years.

Sticking with the number issue, after last season, do you think the OHSAA should consider co-ops like states like Pennsylvania and New York do?

At the moment, personally, no. I THINK 8-MAN FOOTBALL IS A BETTER ROUTE FOR OUR STATE.

What are you looking forward to the most this season?

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING TO KNOW THE STUDENT-ATHLETES AND WATCHING THEM GROW OVER THE COURSE OF THE NEXT YEAR. We've got to focus on getting better, brick by brick.

Looking back from day one as a coach up to the present, what have been the low and high points of your coaching career?

HIGH POINTS ARE WATCHING THE STUDENTS GRADUATE AND THE STUDENTS WHO HAVE ENLISTED IN THE MILITARY AFTER HIGH SCHOOL. LOW POINTS RECENTLY IS THAT I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF GOOD COACHES LEAVE OUR PROFESSION. WE HAVE LOST SOME REALLY GOOD COACHES OF THE PAST COUPLE YEARS

Would Bradford consider some of the club teams while they are building their program back up? Teams from the Southern Ohio Independent League would be a good fit right now.

IT IS ALL ABOUT FIT AND WHAT IS BEST FOR OUR STUDENTS, SO THEY HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE

Who is the best player you have played against or coached against, and what team did he play for?

THIS IS ALWAYS AN INTERESTING QUESTION. You see it a lot on Twitter. I DON'T KNOW IF HE IS THE BEST PLAYER, BUT THE KID THAT STANDS OUT TO ME IN MY MIND IS THE FORMER TIPP KICKER BEN SAULS. I have never seen someone change field position and affect playcalling like Ben Sauls. I watched him kick a 70-yard punt and hit a 50-yard field goal after a 45-minute thunderstorm delay with no warm-up that would have been good from 60 yards in the same game. He is the best kicker and punter I have ever seen in person.

What are your thoughts on girls playing on the football team?

IF THEY WANT TO PLAY AND WORK HARD, THEN I AM FOR IT, JUST LIKE ANYONE ELSE.

What are your feelings about 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?

It is what it is. I PERSONALLY WOULD HAVE PREFERRED 12 LIKE OUR ASSOCIATION VOTED ON AND SUPPORTED OR JUST LET EVERYONE IN LIKE THE COVID YEAR.

Do you think online ticket sales have hurt or helped attendance?

I DO NOT HAVE DATA TO BACK THIS UP, BUT I THINK IT HURTS ATTENDANCE, ESPECIALLY IN MORE RURAL COMMUNITIES. Online or digital sales only hinder or dissuade people who are not good with technology or who do not have the means. I ALSO WATCHED A SCHOOL THIS YEAR LOSE ALL CONNECTION WITH HOME TOWN TICKETING AND HAD NO CASH TO SELL TICKETS AND HAD TO LET PEOPLE IN FOR FREE, COSTING THE SCHOOL SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS. YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO DO BOTH CASH AND ONLINE.

What is the best part of coaching high school football?

WATCHING THE STUDENT-ATHLETES GROW AND SEEING THEM COME BACK AFTER THEY GRADUATE.

Where is the best spot in town to grab a bite?

TO BE DETERMINED, STILL WORKING MY WAY AROUND THE TOWN.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 New Head Coach Nicholas Bandstra from Bradford High School

Post by VetteMan »

It seems as if Coach Bandstra has and is going to have the same problems that so many other small schools are experiencing now days when it comes to High School football. There are quite a few States that have gone the route of 8-Man football, and I'm not sure that can even solve some of the problems involved with the limited number of kids that are wanting to play. Even if you go to Club or 8-Man football, how far is a school willing to travel to make that feasible? Maybe playing each other more than once a season might be a solution? It's a problem no doubt that a lot of schools are facing right now. Good interview.

Return to “Football”