Fairlands Cunningham stepping down as head coach

Jason Vorhees
S

Re: Fairlands Cunningham stepping down as head coach

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Coach Cunningham was 46-38 while at Fairland, including a 5-4 record in the playoffs. Fairland also beat Ironton at Ironton in 2017. That was a Lawrence County first since 1966.

nctabulator
Riding the Bench

Post by nctabulator »

Coach Cunningham is the new Head Coach at Murray (KY).

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I hope he has a great career at Murray.
They were 6-6 last season.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Fairland fans said he lost control of the team. Good luck

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

FHS accepted his coaching resignation but gave him a one year contract as Vice principle is what I hear. Why renew him if hes leaving town? Ive also heard players were tired of some of the “ coaching” and his retaliatory actions toward some kids over his supposed off field activities. If you know you know. It may be best he leaves. This has been brewing for a while at FHS. Good luck to FHS and coach Cunningham. .

Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

Ump wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:07 pm FHS accepted his coaching resignation but gave him a one year contract as Vice principle is what I hear. Why renew him if hes leaving town? Ive also heard players were tired of some of the “ coaching” and his retaliatory actions toward some kids over his supposed off field activities. If you know you know. It may be best he leaves. This has been brewing for a while at FHS. Good luck to FHS and coach Cunningham. .
You’ve heard right. He’s definitely wore out his welcome in Proctorville.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

The in vogue thing in basketball seems to be to seek out the oldest coach possible and he also has to be a screaming maniac that really knows how to scream at and spit on the players. He must be one who makes a habit of throwing a tirade on the sidelines as well. Will that trend carry over to football and specifically at Fairland? If so I know a guy. 😂

Lonesome Polecat
Freshman Team

Post by Lonesome Polecat »

I know a guy

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

I heard Michael Jackson is taking over the program . He apparently wasnt given the job , hes just "filling in " , whatever that means . Fairland parting ways with Melvin was probably the best thing that could have happened .

Panther96
Waterboy

Post by Panther96 »

I guess Fairland is ready to get back to being mediocre. Running the most consistent coach they have had out of town and believing it’s a good thing.

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

The powers that be have contacted me about this job. If I can get enough of my old coaching cronies from Gallia county together, I may just take a crack at it. I will also need a fresh supply of green polyester coaching shorts for my guys. We didnt wear that nasty green at Southwestern back in the day. Can anyone help here?

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Jonjon wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:28 pm
Ump wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:07 pm FHS accepted his coaching resignation but gave him a one year contract as Vice principle is what I hear. Why renew him if hes leaving town? Ive also heard players were tired of some of the “ coaching” and his retaliatory actions toward some kids over his supposed off field activities. If you know you know. It may be best he leaves. This has been brewing for a while at FHS. Good luck to FHS and coach Cunningham. .
I will say this these kids are soft!

Donnie Hagglethorpe
Freshman Team

Post by Donnie Hagglethorpe »

osu 77 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:12 am
Fairland used to be known for toughness in it's athletes. Apparently mommy doesnt understand collision sports.

thirtyonetrap
Varsity

Post by thirtyonetrap »

Donnie Hagglethorpe wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:25 am

Fairland used to be known for toughness in it's athletes. Apparently mommy doesnt understand collision sports.
It sounds like Fairland is a great candidate for daddy ball. Most daddy’s these days are soft and serve as a whipping boy for mommy. Daddy’s couldn’t cut it in high school football and were most likely glorified managers who carried the water and served as blocking and tackling dummies. End, guard and tackle were the positions they played if you know how that story goes. So let a couple of daddy’s take over for a year or two and you people will long for the previous coach and pray for a new one like him.

Hurting the feelings of the nadless wonders who are afraid to comment before the games.
84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

thirtyonetrap wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:47 am

It sounds like Fairland is a great candidate for daddy ball. Most daddy’s these days are soft and serve as a whipping boy for mommy. Daddy’s couldn’t cut it in high school football and were most likely glorified managers who carried the water and served as blocking and tackling dummies. End, guard and tackle were the positions they played if you know how that story goes. So let a couple of daddy’s take over for a year or two and you people will long for the previous coach and pray for a new one like him.
Im pretty sure they wont . It has nothing to do with the toughness of the kids . Theres a lot going on over there , the issues with Melvin were more than just football , remember , he was at another school before Fairland and was asked to leave . You probably wouldnt want your kids playing for him either . He did get the team going in the right direction but the camels back was finally broken this past year .

Panther96
Waterboy

Post by Panther96 »

84Dragon wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:21 pm

Im pretty sure they wont . It has nothing to do with the toughness of the kids . Theres a lot going on over there , the issues with Melvin were more than just football , remember , he was at another school before Fairland and was asked to leave . You probably wouldnt want your kids playing for him either . He did get the team going in the right direction but the camels back was finally broken this past year .
So why would Fairland hire him in the first place? I think thirty one trap is right. Daddy ball at its finest down in Proctorville.

thirtyonetrap
Varsity

Post by thirtyonetrap »

84Dragon wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:21 pm

Let the daddies clean up the mess and get a chance to relive their childhood through their sons.

Hurting the feelings of the nadless wonders who are afraid to comment before the games.
Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

Say daddy ball all you want, but you have multiple fairland people telling you he’s wore out his welcome. You probably don’t know about his off the field antics. Proctorville does. The man was thrown out of his own hometown school. He should’ve never been hired in the first place. It was definitely time for him to go.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

I don’t know what he did or didn’t do off the field but he was the first coach in Fairland football history to win a playoff game. He was also the first coach to beat Ironton in 60 years at another Lawrence County school, and the school district trusted him enough to coach for 8 years. He must’ve been doing something right.

hearmeout
Waterboy

Post by hearmeout »

I have been a part of the Fairland community for a decent amount of time. You can take my word for it or you don't have to, either way. Fairland's success as of lately has had two big factors in my opinion, the players and the coaches. When Cunningham first became head coach of Fairland he went 0-10 and had some really rough early seasons, this was partly from the fact Fairland just did not have players. Thankfully in recent years, the players from Fairland have been very good, and have had a great work ethic (also the reason they have been amazing with powerlifting). Along with this the coaches besides Cunningham have been coaching the kids ever since they were little, which means they understand one another and have had great chemistry. While Cunningham was smart in bringing these coaches in to help him, he was put in a situation to where while it was rough starting out, the team would be very good in a few years which is exactly what happened. However, the reason Cunningham came to Fairland in the first place was because he left his previous school due to really bad circumstances, while after learning this information I believe he never should have been hired in the first place, everyone thought the off the field issues would not be a problem. However multiple issues occurred while Cunningham was at Fairland, with one of them resulting in him treating some players much differently even though they were not involved, with last year and this offseason being the result of those issues as some coaches quit, and half the team refusing to play for Cunningham this year. With half the team wanting to leave, the community's patience wearing thin, and the potential of a bad season, I feel that Cunningham decided it would be best to leave. However this is probably the best for both sides as both Cunningham and Fairland now get a fresh start.
Last edited by hearmeout on Tue May 09, 2023 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Football”