2023 Interview with West Catholic Prep (Pa) Head Coach Donald Richardson

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Interview with West Catholic Prep (Pa) Head Coach Donald Richardson

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name Donald Richardson

School West Catholic Prep

Position Head Coach

Can you give us a brief history of your coaching career? Where you have coached and the position you have held at each stop
Mastbaum AVTS 01-04, DC and LB coach
Haverford School 05-22, DB. WR, LB, ST coordinator

What are your biggest concerns heading into the 2023 season?
Team Focus

Who was the best player you have ever coached against, and what team did he play for?
Campbell Brothers at Chestnut Hill Academy.

What did you learn about yourself during the 2022 season that you can use to be a better coach this season?
That I was undervalued and I need to take my shot and not wait for it to come.

Which team in 2022 was the toughest to prepare for? Why?
None. Our toughest opponent was ourselves.

Coming off back-to-back 4–8 seasons, what has to change to improve on that record?
We need to become better at doing the little things it takes to win.

What are your goals for the 2023 season?
To right the ship and push our vision for the program.

Looking back from day one as a coach up to the present, what have been the lows and highs of your coaching career?
The highs have been winning of course but the real victory is seeing the young men you coached grow up to be fathers and professionals. The lows are when a former player losses his life for whatever reason. That’s tough.

What are your thoughts on girls playing on the boys' football team?
It’s a tough game but women are tough.

Do you think a championship game between the Philadelphia City Champion and the Pittsburgh City Champion should be scheduled?
Yes, two major cities of the state would be very interesting if it could happen.

Can you tell us which seniors from last season will be moving on to play college ball and list the colleges too?
Jayzen Flint, D1. We have some others that are starting to get looks: Nebiy Kassahun, Jayvon Story, Amair Smith, and Semaj Williams. Owen Suah, Kahir Thompson, and Kal-El Durham.

Can you share with us what sports you played and where you played them?
I played football at Mastbaum AVTS in Philadelphia and at Bloomsburg University.

Where is the best spot in your neck of the woods to grab a bite?
To have options go to the Reading Terminal.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Interview with West Catholic Prep (Pa) Head Coach Donald Richardson

Post by VetteMan »

Was 2023 Coach Richardsons first year as the Head Coach at West Catholic Prep? Not quite sure what to make of the statement of being undervalued while an assistant coach at Haverford School. I think I'll just leave that alone. If his team finished with a 4-8 record last season, he still has quite a few players that seem to be garnering interest to compete at the next level. Good interview.

Return to “Football”