Northwest possibly destroying their own program??

OVC
JV Team

Re: Northwest possibly destroying their own program??

Post by OVC »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:46 pm Honestly, just merge the SOC and OVC and split the groups into this geographically and athletically.

Football
SOVC I:
East
Eastern
Green
Manchester (FB only)
Notre Dame
South Gallia
Symmes Valley

SOVC II:
Chesapeake
Dawson-Bryant
Fairland
Rock Hill
South Point

SOVC III:
Minford
Northwest
Oak Hill
Portsmouth
Valley

SOVC IV:
Ironton
Gallia Academy
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

- Teams are only required to play their division opponents and 2 crossover games (excludes SOVC I, who has 6 division games total)

Olympic Sports
SOVC I
Central:
Clay (No FB)
East
New Boston (No FB)
Notre Dame

North:
Eastern Pike
Western Pike (No FB)
Northwest
Oak Hill

East:
Green
Ironton St. Joe (No FB)
South Gallia
Symmes Valley

- Plays their group twice and everyone else once for 14 conference games (can schedule additional games within SOVC I)
- Yes I just took the bottom 2 divisions of the SOC and merged/rearranged them geographically into 3 groups of 4

SOVC II (East):
Chesapeake
Dawson-Bryant
Fairland
Gallia Academy
Ironton
Rock Hill
South Point

SOVC II (West):
Minford
Portsmouth
South Webster
Valley
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

- Both groups play their own division twice (12 division games) and can schedule whoever they want from the other division
- Yes, I only took Portsmouth from the OVC and moved them into the top division of the SOC, but football drives the bus, and the SOC and OVC have had issues lately with football alignments so here's a format that should satisfy everyone while reducing travel in olympic sports
I like this set up: except in Football, put Symmes Valley in the II, Fairland and Portsmouth in the IV, and West in the III. The cross-over games would not be a problem considering a lot of OVC and SOC teams already play each other (Minford/RH, Valley/CG, etc).

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Volunteer wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:14 pm It makes little to no sense; initial push to invite a better program to join?

Why let them stay if they agree to play not to play, it doesn’t benefit them.

And with waverly leaving that would leave 2 openings
Waverly isn't leaving, FAC sent out invites and Waverly is a no go on that.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:12 pm What good will it do Wheelersburg to play Oak Hill and Northwest?
Because they're in their conference, every conference has a team or 2 that simply gets beat on don't they?? So let's not act like this is the only league where it happens. SVC, Westfall and Huntington has been the Oak Hill and Northwest of that conference yet they still play. South Point in OVC play has been terrible for quite sometime, River Valley in the TVC and the list goes on and on.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

GoIrish wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:48 pm Kudos to Oak Hill for sticking it out in the SOC2 despite facing adversity.

Hope Northwest can do the same. Otherwise.... what a shame.
We'll see how much longer OH is sticking it out they're trying to get out as well and even heard rumors they were trying to sign a non-conference team and trying to play a conference game. Northwest was happy when they were running out 40-50 players to play teams in SOC 1 walking out there with 20 guys, they don't want to pay to not play Burg, West and Minford and I'm sure Waverly is on that as well yet all those team with the exception of Waverly is the same size. Guess playing DVII schools fits into the administrations personality if that's the case, tuck tail and run, fork out all of that money for new facilities for 50 ppl to show up to a SOC1 game.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:31 am
GoIrish wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:48 pm Kudos to Oak Hill for sticking it out in the SOC2 despite facing adversity.

We'll see how much longer OH is sticking it out they're trying to get out as well and even heard rumors they were trying to sign a non-conference team and trying to play a conference game. Northwest was happy when they were running out 40-50 players to play teams in SOC 1 walking out there with 20 guys, they don't want to pay to not play Burg, West and Minford and I'm sure Waverly is on that as well yet all those team with the exception of Waverly is the same size. Guess playing DVII schools fits into the administrations personality if that's the case, tuck tail and run, fork out all of that money for new facilities for 50 ppl to show up to a SOC1 game.
OH not wanting to be in SOC 2 makes complete sense. They just don’t have the numbers, and watching them play the bigger schools is painful.

If Northwest stays in the SOC, they have to be in SOC 2 based on size.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

If Oak Hill wanted out of the SOC, the TVC would welcome them with open arms.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Northwest arbiterlive showing they have 5 non-conference games (including games with Vinton County in Week 7, and Manchester in week 8) scheduled for this coming season. West and Minford currently not showing up on their schedule, but Burg still is.

Oak Hill still showing all league games on their schedule on arbiterlive.*

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:38 pm Northwest arbiterlive showing they have 5 non-conference games (including games with Vinton County in Week 7, and Manchester in week 8) scheduled for this coming season. West and Minford currently not showing up on their schedule, but Burg still is.

Oak Hill still showing all league games on their schedule on arbiterlive.*

Sounds like it isn’t a rumor at this point. Northwest is dead set on not playing some of the SOC schools. What a shame

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
thirtyonetrap
Varsity

Post by thirtyonetrap »

RBH23 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:51 am

OH not wanting to be in SOC 2 makes complete sense. They just don’t have the numbers, and watching them play the bigger schools is painful.

I would enjoy seeing what you described as “painful.” I remember back in the SVAC days when those buttsuckers from OH would bring an army of players rolling in on three buses to play against the tiny schools that made up the rest of the league. You want to see painful you need to get your hands on some of those old game films. Downright U-G-L-Y and they ain’t got no alibi, they ugly, uh huh they ugly. 😂

Hurting the feelings of the nadless wonders who are afraid to comment before the games.
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

thirtyonetrap wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:39 pm

I would enjoy seeing what you described as “painful.” I remember back in the SVAC days when those buttsuckers from OH would bring an army of players rolling in on three buses to play against the tiny schools that made up the rest of the league. You want to see painful you need to get your hands on some of those old game films. Downright U-G-L-Y and they ain’t got no alibi, they ugly, uh huh they ugly. 😂
LOL!!

Well, things have obviously changed. They couldn’t have filled the short bus with last year’s numbers.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:46 pm Honestly, just merge the SOC and OVC and split the groups into this geographically and athletically.

Football
SOVC I:
East
Eastern
Green
Manchester (FB only)
Notre Dame
South Gallia
Symmes Valley

SOVC II:
Chesapeake
Dawson-Bryant
Fairland
Rock Hill
South Point

SOVC III:
Minford
Northwest
Oak Hill
Portsmouth
Valley

SOVC IV:
Ironton
Gallia Academy
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

- Teams are only required to play their division opponents and 2 crossover games (excludes SOVC I, who has 6 division games total)

Olympic Sports
SOVC I
Central:
Clay (No FB)
East
New Boston (No FB)
Notre Dame

North:
Eastern Pike
Western Pike (No FB)
Northwest
Oak Hill

East:
Green
Ironton St. Joe (No FB)
South Gallia
Symmes Valley

- Plays their group twice and everyone else once for 14 conference games (can schedule additional games within SOVC I)
- Yes I just took the bottom 2 divisions of the SOC and merged/rearranged them geographically into 3 groups of 4

SOVC II (East):
Chesapeake
Dawson-Bryant
Fairland
Gallia Academy
Ironton
Rock Hill
South Point

SOVC II (West):
Minford
Portsmouth
South Webster
Valley
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

- Both groups play their own division twice (12 division games) and can schedule whoever they want from the other division
- Yes, I only took Portsmouth from the OVC and moved them into the top division of the SOC, but football drives the bus, and the SOC and OVC have had issues lately with football alignments so here's a format that should satisfy everyone while reducing travel in olympic sports

This is by far the best merger I seen

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Take out Manchester though

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

mattash wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:57 pm Take out Manchester though
I thought about it, but since they're actually joining as a football only member in SOC I, and there are 15 FB teams from the SOC II and OVC schools, having 7 SOC I schools could help with late season scheduling as I'm sure some schools might schedule down (thinking NW, OH, maybe Valley, maybe some of the OVC schools.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Dundas wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:25 am

If Oak Hill wanted out of the SOC, the TVC would welcome them with open arms.
Always thought that would be a perfect location for them, no idea if they've ever contacted TVC officials or not.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Yeah it makes sense now, however when they were in SOC1 play they were just like Northwest out there actually a lot worse. If you go back and look at their time in SOC1 play is was complete domination especially with the overall scoring for and against totally lopsided. They had 40 plus kids while they were destroying the DVII schools during which time they were DV as well. So it's the same case only Northwest seen what happened to OH and doesn't want that to happen, I personally totally understand it's why many have said OVC and SOC should combine and split into divisions.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

It does hurt when you lose a couple of studs from Northwest that transfer to Ironton. It’s hard to compete and I understand

Tigernation2021
Varsity

irontonwizard wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:24 pm It does hurt when you lose a couple of studs from Northwest that transfer to Ironton. It’s hard to compete and I understand
Well, the latest one was advised by some college coaches that he needed to make a move from Northwest in order to get more exposure and play against better competition. Also the couple "studs" the one was what a freshman don't think that hurt them much, but they didn't bring in a SOC1 title either.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:04 pm
irontonwizard wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:24 pm It does hurt when you lose a couple of studs from Northwest that transfer to Ironton. It’s hard to compete and I understand
Well, the latest one was advised by some college coaches that he needed to make a move from Northwest in order to get more exposure and play against better competition. Also the couple "studs" the one was what a freshman don't think that hurt them much, but they didn't bring in a SOC1 title either.
Okay, what colleges said that? Just curious.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

This is such BS. Portsmouth football sent two lineman to major college ball in 2009 (FSU and PSU). Sciotoville had an OL that received around 30 offers (including SEC schools) and ended up at WVU. Pendleton himself played for West and ended up having a nice college career at MSU. Holden from Burg was getting noticed by college football programs even though he had zero intention of playing college football!

Hell, the most successful college recruit in recent years from SOC/OVC played at Minford. Cain Madden was 2nd team all-American one year and eventually ended up starting at ND.

None of the schools listed above played serious high school competition.

My point? If a player has the talent, they are going to get noticed. Camps, social media, etc…. It’s not hard to get discovered nowadays.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

RBH23 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:07 pm
This is such BS. Portsmouth football sent two lineman to major college ball in 2009 (FSU and PSU). Sciotoville had an OL that received around 30 offers (including SEC schools) and ended up at WVU. Pendleton himself played for West and ended up having a nice college career at MSU. Holden from Burg was getting noticed by college football programs even though he had zero intention of playing college football!

Hell, the most successful college recruit in recent years from SOC/OVC played at Minford. Cain Madden was 2nd team all-American one year and eventually ended up starting at ND.

None of the schools listed above played serious high school competition.

My point? If a player has the talent, they are going to get noticed. Camps, social media, etc…. It’s not hard to get discovered nowadays.

You’re 100% right you don’t have to move to play against big time competition, plenty of successful names. If this is the case why do these big prep high schools like IMG Mater Dei and such exist? Truthfully do you think Perkins gets the looks he had at Valley to go to Cincinnati if he stayed there and not went to Ironton, bc I don’t think so. It helped him

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion

Return to “Football”