Northwest possibly destroying their own program??

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: Northwest possibly destroying their own program??

Post by BigBlueNation »

RBH23 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:35 pm
jujubean wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:28 pm Can't believe this is even being considered. How can Northwest justify even remotely contemplating forfeiting games? There is a lot more at stake than just "what is best for Northwest".
How would this effect playoff points? Do you get a win for forfeiting? What if you can't get a replacement team?

I believe Oak Hill and Valley both field smaller rosters than Northwest, what of them. If Northwest is allowed (fine or no fine) to skip out on games then we shouldn't count any leagues against Wheelersburg, Minford, Waverly or West. How is this right to Valley and Oak Hill?
Personally (if this article is true), Northwest just needs to leave the SOC in all sports, if for nothing else but the integrity of our league.
I can’t imagine that the kids are happy about this. Actually, it’s probably humiliating for them.
I wouldn't think they would be. But who knows.
I'm not around the program much anymore.

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

Kudos to Oak Hill for sticking it out in the SOC2 despite facing adversity.

Hope Northwest can do the same. Otherwise.... what a shame.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

fbnut wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:58 pm
GoBucks1047 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:04 am
wobycat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:48 am

I don't think people realize the dwindling school population in our area.

The only reason burg is maintaining is due to open enrollment. Wheelersburg without open enrollment would be a d6 school easy. Even Ironton would flirt with it.

There is a reason multiple schools are searching for a 3rd SOC division. It happened in basketball, it probably needs to happen in football.
If what is happening to NW is true, I wonder if the SOC could get Ironton to join SOC II for Football only and split up SOC II into 2 subgroups, especially if they aren't able to add the teams needed for 3 divisions.

Minford
Northwest
Oak Hill
Valley

Ironton
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

You play everyone in your group + 2 crossover games alternating every season for 5 conference games. It'd give Burg and Ironton the 5 non-conference games to schedule up as big as desired. Northwest and Oak Hill avoid some of the heavy weights and be able to schedule down non-conference. Of course if teams desire to maintain rivalries annually, they can maintain them with 1-2 of their non-conference slots. I think Burg and West would both still desire to maintain Valley and Minford in the years they miss because gate and could be separated in a way that only 1 non-conference slot is used annually.
Would rather add Portsmouth. Way to much open recruiting going on at ironton to reward them with an invitation to the SOC
I could be wrong but, I don’t think Ironton is looking for an invitation.

Hate to see Northwest football falling apart though.

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

BigBlueNation, I hope not. I know how rumors go - so I hope this is all it is. I understand wanting to have opponents that you're competitive with, but NW moving back to SOC2 was known years ago. It's not right for NW kids to hear this, but also, it's not fair to Minford, WB, and West. I'm sure most schedules are complete.

Volunteer
Riding the Bench

Post by Volunteer »

Northwest has been asked to leave the SOC in football, if they wish to remain they must pay each of the schools to remain but cannot play them.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Volunteer wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:27 pm Northwest has been asked to leave the SOC in football, if they wish to remain they must pay each of the schools to remain but cannot play them.
Why are they being asked to leave the SOC in football?

Also, why would they stay in the SOC if they cannot play any of the teams, and must also pay said teams?

This seems very messed up.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Hate it for the Northwest kids, but if they forfeit any league games due to competitive issues, it’s time for them to find another conference or go independent in football.

Northwest will have similar roster numbers as Minford, Valley, Oak Hill, and West. With running clock rules in place and most coaches knowing to sub out starters in 2nd half of blowouts, no reason for them to resort to forfeiting games. At that point, Northwest’s issues would be affecting other league schools, so time for SOC leadership to step up and find a solution.*

Volunteer
Riding the Bench

Post by Volunteer »

It makes little to no sense; initial push to invite a better program to join?

Why let them stay if they agree to play not to play, it doesn’t benefit them.

And with waverly leaving that would leave 2 openings

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Volunteer wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:14 pm It makes little to no sense; initial push to invite a better program to join?

Didn’t know about Waverly. When are they leaving?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Volunteer wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:14 pm It makes little to no sense; initial push to invite a better program to join?

I’ll believe it when I see it regarding Waverly. They been talking about leaving for years, but ain’t got nowhere to go.*

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

The SOC needs a middle division in football but where they put some of the schools in the middle division for basketball is causing some to question if the conferences word is worth anything when it is to a new school to come in. One school might be willing to move to the SOC but can they trust the conference to not put them up against the 3 W which in that case they are better where they are so why move to the SOC? Northwest and Oak Hill can not compete with 3 Ws and possibly neither can Valley most years. River Valley could be the school to make it happen for a middle division for football but can they trust the SOC? Take a look at the schools in the middle division for the sports outside of football, looks like a group put the school they do not want travel too together so they would not have go there every year.

Albundy33
Riding the Bench

Post by Albundy33 »

What will happen with their non league schedule most those teams won’t be happy either
If you don’t want to compete drop the sport save everyone the embarrassment

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:57 pm The SOC needs a middle division in football but where they put some of the schools in the middle division for basketball is causing some to question if the conferences word is worth anything when it is to a new school to come in. One school might be willing to move to the SOC but can they trust the conference to not put them up against the 3 W which in that case they are better where they are so why move to the SOC? Northwest and Oak Hill can not compete with 3 Ws and possibly neither can Valley most years. River Valley could be the school to make it happen for a middle division for football but can they trust the SOC? Take a look at the schools in the middle division for the sports outside of football, looks like a group put the school they do not want travel too together so they would not have go there every year.
Guarantee it was the Clay AD He did not want his teams going to SG. SG should be in the small division at a competitive standpoint. Notre Dame should be in the middle. It’s not about school size as much as it is competive wise. ND girls should not be small division. Dumb decision.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

What good will it do Wheelersburg to play Oak Hill and Northwest?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

How many players have they lost via transfers?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:18 pm How many players have they lost via transfers?
Just a few that I now of right now.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Thanks.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Honestly, just merge the SOC and OVC and split the groups into this geographically and athletically.

Football
SOVC I:
East
Eastern
Green
Manchester (FB only)
Notre Dame
South Gallia
Symmes Valley

SOVC II:
Chesapeake
Dawson-Bryant
Fairland
Rock Hill
South Point

SOVC III:
Minford
Northwest
Oak Hill
Portsmouth
Valley

SOVC IV:
Ironton
Gallia Academy
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

- Teams are only required to play their division opponents and 2 crossover games (excludes SOVC I, who has 6 division games total)

Olympic Sports
SOVC I
Central:
Clay (No FB)
East
New Boston (No FB)
Notre Dame

North:
Eastern Pike
Western Pike (No FB)
Northwest
Oak Hill

East:
Green
Ironton St. Joe (No FB)
South Gallia
Symmes Valley

- Plays their group twice and everyone else once for 14 conference games (can schedule additional games within SOVC I)
- Yes I just took the bottom 2 divisions of the SOC and merged/rearranged them geographically into 3 groups of 4

SOVC II (East):
Chesapeake
Dawson-Bryant
Fairland
Gallia Academy
Ironton
Rock Hill
South Point

SOVC II (West):
Minford
Portsmouth
South Webster
Valley
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

- Both groups play their own division twice (12 division games) and can schedule whoever they want from the other division
- Yes, I only took Portsmouth from the OVC and moved them into the top division of the SOC, but football drives the bus, and the SOC and OVC have had issues lately with football alignments so here's a format that should satisfy everyone while reducing travel in olympic sports

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:46 pm Honestly, just merge the SOC and OVC and split the groups into this geographically and athletically.

Football
SOVC I:
East
Eastern
Green
Manchester (FB only)
Notre Dame
South Gallia
Symmes Valley

SOVC II:
Chesapeake
Dawson-Bryant
Fairland
Rock Hill
South Point

SOVC III:
Minford
Northwest
Oak Hill
Portsmouth
Valley

SOVC IV:
Ironton
Gallia Academy
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

- Teams are only required to play their division opponents and 2 crossover games (excludes SOVC I, who has 6 division games total)

Olympic Sports
SOVC I
Central:
Clay (No FB)
East
New Boston (No FB)
Notre Dame

North:
Eastern Pike
Western Pike (No FB)
Northwest
Oak Hill

East:
Green
Ironton St. Joe (No FB)
South Gallia
Symmes Valley

- Plays their group twice and everyone else once for 14 conference games (can schedule additional games within SOVC I)
- Yes I just took the bottom 2 divisions of the SOC and merged/rearranged them geographically into 3 groups of 4

SOVC II (East):
Chesapeake
Dawson-Bryant
Fairland
Gallia Academy
Ironton
Rock Hill
South Point

SOVC II (West):
Minford
Portsmouth
South Webster
Valley
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

- Both groups play their own division twice (12 division games) and can schedule whoever they want from the other division
- Yes, I only took Portsmouth from the OVC and moved them into the top division of the SOC, but football drives the bus, and the SOC and OVC have had issues lately with football alignments so here's a format that should satisfy everyone while reducing travel in olympic sports
OVC fixed their problem by letting Ironton go independent for football. Doubt they have much interest in any merger with SOC now.*

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Waverly isn’t going anywhere anytime soon all this talk of them going to the FAC isn’t going to happen. It is funny that in that article Waverly isn’t mentioned with the others leads me to believe this is a rather large rumor and possibly nothing serious

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion

Return to “Football”