SEOPS Hippo

2023 Player Spotlight/Interview with Cole Davis from Sheridan High School

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name Cole Davis

School Sheridan High School

Class 2024/Junior

Positions played:
O-Line/Defensive Tackle / Kicker

What are your personal goals this season as well as goals you have set for your team?
Some personal goals I have for this season are to first of all get 1st team all MVL, 1st team All-Southeast District, and 1st team All Ohio, another personal goal is to be top 3, if not 1st on the team in tackles and gain 10+ sacks. Some goals I have set for my team include an undefeated regular season with an MVL championship, and eventually a State Championship, I also believe on defense we should be able to hold every team to 14 points or less. Lastly, I want to be in the record books at our school and I want everyone to know about the 2023 Sheridan Football team down the road

How long have you played football along with what keeps you playing?
I would say I have played football since I can remember, I started playing flag football in Kindergarten-3rd grade, and tackle from 4th grade until today, honestly, what keeps me playing is the experience of just playing the game with my friends and the constant drive and passion I have to keep getting better, but overall I keep playing because of my love and passion for the game itself.

What is your biggest strength along with your biggest weakness as a football player?
I would say my biggest strengths on the field are my IQ around the game and my ability to stun the offensive tackle in front of me and help myself and my teammates make a play. I would say my weaknesses are my pass rush game and sometimes my stretch run defense as we are taught to beat our tackle to the outside without giving up ground, so I have been and will continue to work hard and improve these skills heading into this season.

What have you been able to accomplish during the off-season to improve your game?
During this offseason I have been able to accomplish many things such as gaining roughly 15-20 pounds of muscle to improve my game, while still maintaining and improving my speed and agility, I have also been working on my pass rush a lot this offseason because I know it can be much better. And I have been competing a lot and will be competing a lot with other players at camps and things like that to strengthen my game.

Looking back at all of the road games you have played which stadium have you liked the best? Explain.
Out of all the road games I have played in my career I have to say that Tri-Valley’s stadium is the most electric I have played at, besides my own of course. The reason I say this is because when we played there this past season, it determined the MVL championship, and I remember walking out of the locker room and just standing in awe of all the fans there and how loud the stadium was, especially during the game. Their field is also just a classic and it truly was an indescribable feeling playing there, and we won the game to top it off so that makes it much better.

What were the high and low points of the 2022 season?
The high points of the season included beating Tri-Valley by one point to win the MVL championship at their home field, beating New Lex in the Perry County Super Bowl, beating Licking Valley in the first game of the year after my 4th down game-saving sack, also my first win as a defensive starter, being the first Sheridan team to host two home playoff games, and making it into the 3rd round of the playoffs after a 9-1 season. Some low points of the season included being taken out of the Maysville game because I gave up outside contain to the quarterback on pass plays a few times and got taken out for a drive or two, getting obliterated by the run game in the second half by Watkins Memorial and losing be 3 in a game we should have won, and losing to Bloom Carroll 17-7 to end our season was just a sour way to end it all, our offense did not play well at all.

How would your coaches and teammates describe you?
I feel like humbly my coaches and teammates would describe me as hardworking, intelligent, strong, and a leader by action in the weight room and on the field the coaches and some of my teammates have described my form as being perfect and that I’ve been pointed out in practice multiple times for doing something the right way. But I don’t want to sound arrogant about it that’s just how I believe how my coaches and teammates would describe me.

Do you feel that you and your teammates are role models for the younger kids who come and watch you play?
I do feel like my teammates and I are role models for the younger kids because I was in their shoes at one point thinking about how awesome it would be to play under the lights on a Friday night. My dad coaching the high school team for many years when I was growing up helped a lot because I could talk with the players and just grow my passion for the game through them. I also know we are role models for them because often at biddy league events like football and basketball camps, they will ask about us, and if they remember us they’ll be like “Oh you were the kid who had that amazing tackle last year against Tri-Valley or something like that. Being a role model for them is something I take pride in because it’s the next generation of high school athletes and you have to leave a good impression on them.

Is there a coach or athlete that you look up to as a role model, and why?
Besides my parents, there are many coaches I look up to as a role models such as my Defensive line Coach Nick Bendle who I credit for teaching me the majority of my game, and our head coach Paul Culver III who you interviewed who I believe is the best coach in the country because of the standards he holds us to and is constantly pushing us and is just overall a great guy and an awesome coach, his father Paul Culver Jr., who our field is named after and who holds just about every coaching record at Sheridan, turned this program from nothing into a winning football team and is again a guy who everyone respected, but feared on the football field in a good way, he just had that look in his eye all the time. An athlete I looked up to when I was younger was a player on the 2008-2010 Sheridan Football team named Troy Sweeney who was a linebacker and running back who went on to play at Otterbein University and me and my family would go watch him and he was my favorite player and we would always get pictures it was so fun I respected him so much. I also look up to CJ Stroud from Ohio State because I love the way he carries himself on and off the field, as he always blocks out the outside noise and just focuses on what he can control and always goes out and puts on a show, he is a very faithful and respectable person as well.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?
I feel that 16 teams making the playoffs is too much because I have seen 1-9 teams making the playoffs, so if you’re not completely terrible you will make the playoffs. At the same time, it makes your journey to the state championship much harder as you have to play a lot more games, I feel like anywhere from 8-12 teams is the perfect amount, because I would do anything for a longer season but with 16 it’s just a bit too much, because at Sheridan, the standard is always great, deep playoff run climber teams so we shouldn’t have to worry about being around the 16 seed.

Have you heard from any college coaches? If yes, can you name one or two of the schools?
I have heard from multiple college coaches reaching out about junior days and camps in the summer and their overall interest, I’ll name the first two junior days I attended this year, and those schools are Denison University and Case Western Reserve University, both of which are academically great schools, have very good football programs, amazing coaching staff, and a beautiful campus, and I believe both have a lot of interest in myself as a student-athlete. But no matter what, the student part always comes first.

What is one food you enjoy that most others do not?
I would say one food I enjoy that most others don’t is mint chocolate chip ice cream, because it is the best ice cream there is, my dad and sister hate it, and a lot of people I talk to say it’s like eating toothpaste even though it’s completely different from it, and I love mint foods in general, which many do not for some reason.

What is your favorite book?
My favorite book would have to be one by Mike Lupica, this is a tough decision but I really like The Underdogs, and one called The Big Game by Tim Green, these are my favorites because they are sports books and they involve a great plot and story that I can usually never find in others books, or at least quite like these. Plus I always love a story about an underdog.

What toppings go on your pizza?
The toppings that would go on my pizza would be pepperoni, onions, green peppers, mushrooms, ham, sausage, bacon, pork, and beef, I always love to load up my pizza with a lot of meats and the onions and green peppers are a classic staple, I’m a big meat lovers pizza kind of guy.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Player Spotlight/Interview with Cole Davis from Sheridan High School

Post by VetteMan »

To me this is a perfect example of why you should continue to do these Player Spotlight/Interviews. Cole was a good example of a kid that enjoyed being interviewed. He was very through and honest with his answers as well. He set individual goals for himself in the upcoming season, as well as team goals. He also plays for a very well respected program in Sheridan High School, which by the way plays in a very tough conference as well. Good interview.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I do plan on doing them and as I said I am trying to get more of the SEOP area players to do these. This week of the six I have contacted only one has gotten back to me and he is in the process of doing the interview.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:18 pm I do plan on doing them and as I said I am trying to get more of the SEOP area players to do these. This week of the six I have contacted only one has gotten back to me and he is in the process of doing the interview.
I am just surprised that the kids in particular would not love to be interviewed. You don't tell them how to answer or what to say or how much to say. Regardless, I can see no problem with it at all.

Return to “Football”