Waterboy

Portsmouth 2023 what to expect?

Post by baseballfanatic76 »

hows it looking

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Re: Portsmouth 2023 what to expect?

Post by Bfan99 »

7-3 or 6-4. If Williams is the QB he’s really athletic and will always be a threat to run. Heiland is a really good WR and Boren is a monster at OL/DL.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

From reading other post & talking to a few other Trojan fans, I honestly could see this team anywhere from 5-5 to 9-1. Ironton is going to be a loss. Other than that, idk anyone on their schedule who I can honestly say will be better than them. Fairland lost quite a bit, got thumped by Portsmouth last year…it is at the Trailer Park though. At Gallia is tough, but that’s a team who Portsmouth had beat, and the worst officiated game I’ve ever seen last year. CG always gives Portsmouth trouble. West lost a lot, Valley is down & Greenup County I’m unsure of. RH, Peake & SP should be wins. Anyone in the know on if JoJo’s younger boy is playing? He should be a freshman. He’s a stud on the field.

baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

i am excited to watch williams run all over the field great kid and athlete

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Trojan passing game will likely take a step back this season, only because the last 2 QB's for the Trojans, Drew Roe and Tyler Duncan, had prolific careers and it will be very hard to post similar numbers in the air attack. The schedule is not a backbreaker as BuckeyeBlood has said. If the defense can get enough stops, PHS could challenge for the OVC title now that the Fighting Tigers are not competing in the conference any longer.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I have contacted three players from the team to try and get an interview with. I post this because I have been told that it would be good to see area kids interviewed. The problem with that when I do find them on Twitter, they seldom get back to me.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

I truly hope the Trojans continue to grow and continue being a successful force in SEO FB.

It was a treat to watch them a couple times last year & I was really impressed with development.

IDK if they lost anyone that may have opted to jump ship yo WB or IHS, but i truly hope not.

Best of Luck Trojans!!!

baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

losing pendleton is a tough loss for the trojans and receiving core will be hard to replace

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

baseballfanatic76 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:43 pm losing pendleton is a tough loss for the trojans and receiving core will be hard to replace
No doubt, losing him, Jayden Duncan and Nolan Heiland is rough. However the younger Heiland will be back he played a bit of RB & WR last year. As well as Nathaniel Berry. Some younger guys may need to step up though. The Brooks kid needs some touches, he’s a good athlete.

baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

I think again a 6-4 year or maybe 7-3 is realistic now obvious games can be won or lost no matter who you are playing but im excited

Think Williams will shock some people but definitely big shoes to fill from the previous gunslingers in rowe and duncan, but dont count this kid out best of luck portsmouth trojan football

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Can anyone confirm if JT William will indeed be the starting QB heading into the season?

baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

I would bet the house on it, him or little brother are both battling unless there is someone else that i havent been aware of. skill kids looked slim and grim as compared to past years but driving by i can see them working very hard and successful hopes are the expectation but it will be interesting to see things play out. Go Trojans

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Man I’m getting excited for football season. Summer weights/conditioning are underway. The Trojans have their first 7 on 7 against Piketon just about 4 weeks from now. Not sure how this version of the Trojans will be. I could see a mediocre season or a really good one. They lost a lot from last year. Basically all of their offense. QB Duncan WR Duncan WR Heiland WR Pendleton RB Hammond RB Truett.

I have no idea who will start at RB this season. Chase Heiland will return at WR, he even took a few carries last year. He’s a really explosive athlete. Nathaniel Berry will also return, and likely start at WR. Noah Livingston will return at TE as well. The one promising thing is that 3/5 OL will return. Add in maybe Runyon and Boren and your OL should be solid. I’m assuming JT Williams will be the starting QB. He deserves a shot, kid is an athlete and has a ton of heart. If he’s not the QB he will definitely have a role in the offense somewhere.

On the defensive side of the ball they lost a ton as well. LB’s Pendleton, Hammond, Truett, DB Heiland and DE I can’t remember his name all gone. Returning will be Chase Heiland at CB, JT Williams was at safety and is back. Defensive line will return Poxes, Cobb & Boren, as well as Runyon & Mckenzie who seen playing time. Livingston & Sanderlin at LB. Ethan Scott who saw a fair amount of time at safety and Kayleb Johnson who saw some time at DE also return. I think the defense has potential to be solid. I look for a big season out of Boren.

Will need to find a new punter as Duncan is gone. However the kicking game should be fine with Roth coming back for his senior year I believe.

I don’t know much about any incoming freshmen that will be on the team, no idea if any are good enough to see varsity minutes. I know the JH last year was spread pretty thin. I know people have mentioned JoJo Parker’s son being quite the ball player, I have no info on if he’s playing or not, I’ve actually never seen him play myself. I have no info on if any kids moved in after last football season and will be on the team this year. A few kids I could see with playing time this season who played sparingly or on the JV last season are Colin Perry, Lelind Scurlock, Trevin Brooks & Nik Copley. I seen Gerald Cadogan is the new AD at SSU now. Not sure if or what capacity he will be with the Trojans this fall.

As far as the season it’s too early for me to make a prediction game by game. I’d like to look after the scrimmages and see who all came out, who’s in what position, depth all that good stuff. It’s never easy to replace guys, but replacing the majority of your offense, including QB is tough.

The schedule shapes up with
7v7 Piketon
7v7 @SP
Scrimmage vs. River Valley
Jamboree @ Waverly

Regular Season
-Valley, who I think won’t be great but I have no info on, I like their RB.
-@West who lost a lot, they shouldn’t be as good.
-Greenup Co KY I have absolutely no info on.
-@Rock Hill no info on, but this should be a win
-@Gallia lost some key guys, not much on them. Hard to win up there.
-Coal Grove I know they lost their RB not sure what else. Always play Portsmouth tough.
-Peake should be a win
-@Fairland they lost quite a bit, including the coach. Hard place to play. Hopefully no rain.
-SP were improved last season, not sure what they have coming back, but should be a win.
-@Ironton on a different level than Portsmouth right now.

Anyone have anything to add? Anyone I forgot to mention, maybe some freshmen who may see varsity time? Any kids that didn’t come out last season that plan to this season, any new move ins? What the weight room numbers have been like?

Who Dey!
baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

with the winning culture the new players that replace people play up to the winning expectation now and can match what was before them, im excited to see how things go and its football season. williams is who i have my eye on to replace duncan and be just fine

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Talked to a co worker who says JoJo Parkers son likely will not be on the team. I won’t go into details, I have no proof just word of mouth, but I have heard he has some off the field issues other than just grades. Next man up though. There are plenty of kids capable of toting the rock this fall for the Trojans.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:10 pm Talked to a co worker who says JoJo Parkers son likely will not be on the team. I won’t go into details, I have no proof just word of mouth, but I have heard he has some off the field issues other than just grades. Next man up though. There are plenty of kids capable of toting the rock this fall for the Trojans.
Not sure if you mentioned it in another thread or not but I believe someone else also said he wasn't going to be playing for them. Think they said he was sent to live with his mom to try and get things squared away.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

greygoose wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:57 pm
BuckeyeBlood wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:10 pm Talked to a co worker who says JoJo Parkers son likely will not be on the team. I won’t go into details, I have no proof just word of mouth, but I have heard he has some off the field issues other than just grades. Next man up though. There are plenty of kids capable of toting the rock this fall for the Trojans.
Not sure if you mentioned it in another thread or not but I believe someone else also said he wasn't going to be playing for them. Think they said he was sent to live with his mom to try and get things squared away.
This is what I heard was going on as well. Hopefully the young man will get himself straight and get back on the football field some day.

baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

Parker will not be playing football we need to focus on what we have and that is a pretty solid group i feel like, the run game should be good this year or am i wrong?

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

baseballfanatic76 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:36 pm Parker will not be playing football we need to focus on what we have and that is a pretty solid group i feel like, the run game should be good this year or am i wrong?
Hard not to be better than last seasons run game. Hammond ran hard but just could not get up the field. Truett should’ve started at RB all season. He wasn’t that fast, but very strong and aggressive. Who do you think will see time at RB?

baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

Very hard to predict im thinking either copley or heiland dont know if we will be throwing it around as much this year without the previous qbs so we need to find that gutsy RB and maybe heiland is that guy

Return to “Football”