August 18, 2023 Ironton 17 - 14 Wheelersburg

RBH23
S

Re: Wheelersburg @ Ironton Week 1

Post by RBH23 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:04 pm Congrats Tigers on the win!!

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy play by both teams Dumb penalties and big turnovers by both teams.

Don’t understand why Lattimore isn’t returning kicks or punts. He is a 4 year varsity starter and probably the fastest player on the team.

Also, not a fan of the wildcat Burg ran. Big turnover out of that. Two turnovers inside the 10 that could have led to at least a potential 6 points for Burg. They lost by 3!!

On a side note!! WTH Ironton was going on with no concession stands open up when the gates opened and then had no pizza being delivered until 6:45? Did someone forget that there was the chance for a pretty big crowd to be there! PPP on someone!!
Burg O play calling was just bad at times (put way too much on the young QB), and I thought Woodward really screwed up at the end with his use of timeouts and not going for it on 4th and 3 in the fourth quarter.

That said, as bad as Woodward was at the end, Pendleton said “hold my beer” and really went off the rails on the second to last IHS possession. How they failed to run out the clock while inside Burg’s 10, and eventually giving the ball back to Burg at the 30+ is unbelievable!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

RBH23 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:33 pm

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy play by both teams Dumb penalties and big turnovers by both teams.

Don’t understand why Lattimore isn’t returning kicks or punts. He is a 4 year varsity starter and probably the fastest player on the team.

Also, not a fan of the wildcat Burg ran. Big turnover out of that. Two turnovers inside the 10 that could have led to at least a potential 6 points for Burg. They lost by 3!!

On a side note!! WTH Ironton was going on with no concession stands open up when the gates opened and then had no pizza being delivered until 6:45? Did someone forget that there was the chance for a pretty big crowd to be there! PPP on someone!!
Burg O play calling was just bad at times (put way too much on the young QB), and I thought Woodward really screwed up at the end with his use of timeouts and not going for it on 4th and 3 in the fourth quarter.

That said, as bad as Woodward was at the end, Pendleton said “hold my beer” and really went off the rails on the second to last IHS possession. How they failed to run out the clock while inside Burg’s 10, and eventually giving the ball back to Burg at the 30+ is unbelievable!

I said the same thing on the 4th and 3. They basically ended up giving the ball to Ironton about 10 yards farther after bad punt. They only had 2 timeouts as well.

The Wildcat is not good at all. Just not a fan of it.

I think Pendleton wanted another score and it just about backfired on him.

Burg needs to get Lattimore more touches. He needs to be returning kicks and punts. To good of an athlete to not get the ball to him.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:54 pm
RBH23 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:33 pm

I said the same thing on the 4th and 3. They basically ended up giving the ball to Ironton about 10 yards farther after bad punt. They only had 2 timeouts as well.

The Wildcat is not good at all. Just not a fan of it.

I think Pendleton wanted another score and it just about backfired on him.

Burg needs to get Lattimore more touches. He needs to be returning kicks and punts. To good of an athlete to not get the ball to him.
Agree on Lattimore, and on Pendleton.

As for Wildcat, it has its place when close to the goal line, but definitely not from the 30. And definitely not having your Wildcat QB throwing the ball. 🤦‍♂️

Overall, I thought Burg D coaching was good; would say excellent but got off to a rough start. Fantastic adjustments.
Ironton D was really good except for the stupid penalties; same issues they have every year.
Neither O coach should be proud of their performance. I could have blindly pulled plays out of a hat and done as well.

Btw, McNicholas lost tonight. Them and Burg will be searching for their first win next week.

Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:06 pm Wow , it’s to the point that beating Wheelersburg is a disappointment? Replacing that many starters from a state runner up. Great win for Ironton.
Not a fan of either school and this is the beat thing I’ve read on this thread! EXACTLY these two teams are always a top 10-15 team in their division !

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

Ironton Dline was the difference in the game imo. Patterson put pressure on qb most of the night even with the double team. Also great sportsmanship with him and the burg Oline after the game. I seen them congratulating 64 right after the final horn went off. Overall looked like the first game of the year. Would love to see it again in the playoffs!!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Sloppy game for both offenses tonight. Ironton offense reminds me of Burg offense from last 2 years: limited passing attack, with lots of QB keepers. Burg offense definitely has a higher ceiling going forward.

Burg defense letdown early in game letting Ironton get outside for 2 touchdowns. They cleaned it up though and were dominant rest of game. Hutchinson and Brown were solid at LB.

Burg offense was pretty quiet most of night. Had to shuffle guys around OL due to injury, and held up decent. Started a soph at center and he played a clean game. Not sure what happened taking a timeout and then punting on 4th and 3 with five minutes left in game? Lattimore was big time though and soph receivers will get better each game.

Also, disturbing trend of 0 points in second half continues in recent losses for Burg (West, Harvest Prep twice, Ironton twice). Gotta fix this before playoffs.

Terry for Ironton was best player on field. Special player. Williams had a rough night, but will be fine going forward. Shreck showed he is QB1 for 2024 and will even push for reps this season as well. Offense feels limited overall though compared to last 2 seasons. What was Pendleton thinking not taking a knee late in game?!? Going for style points almost but him in arse.

Overall, both teams played below capabilities, but in Week 1, that’s not surprising. Hope they meet again in playoffs when they’ve cleaned up the penalties and turnovers. Congrats to Ironton and fully expect one of these teams to be Region 19 champ.*

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

Great win no matter how ugly the game was. I think both teams will have an outstanding year and tonight was a battle of the 2 best teams in southern Ohio. Burg needs to find a way to put the ball in lattimore hands more he was electric. I thought Rucker played well despite the INTs, he will only improve throughout the year. Burg was a lot better than expected. I heard before the game that Hart was battling an ankle injury and that’s why he had limited carries at RB. I think he will be irontons #1 RB followed by Williams and Copas. I noticed ironton only played certain kids 1 way like the Pittman kid, I thought he was an outstanding WR at Ashland? Why was he only playing LB? The D for Ironton was better than expected after replacing 7 seniors.The Dline, LBs and DBs all played well for Ironton. The last 3 min of the game was horrible managed by ironton. Why was the QB snapping the ball with over 10s on the clock? Ironton easily could have ran the clock down a lot more and not give the ball back to burg with over a min left. Moving forward both teams need to clean up the penalties especially Ironton, I understand it was a heated rivalry game but those penalties could have easily won the game for either team. Good luck to both teams moving forward and hopefully we see a rematch in the playoffs.

joeshmo
Waterboy

Post by joeshmo »

I was impressed with the Ironton coaching adjustments in the 2nd half. Burg had all the momentum going into the 2nd half and Burg never threatened offensively in the 2nd half.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Completely unbiased viewpoint….

I thought both teams flashed a ton of potential. I don’t think Ironton has the overall horses of their last few state championship game runs, but maybe they’ll prove me wrong. Terry is an absolute beast. I’m very confused what’s going on with the Pittman kid? He got a lot of hype and supposedly had an offer from UK…. but???

Burgs offense is going to be a serious problem as the season goes on. Lattimore was a big time move in for Burg, that kid can play and gives Rucker a tremendous target. The sophomore WR’s will continue to get better, Evans kid could be special also. Rucker made a couple silly passes in tight windows but that happens with young QBs. He’ll watch the film and learn from it.

I’d love to see these two teams meet again in the Regional. I will say, Ironton has more offensive question marks going forward than Burg does. Burg’s young QB is only going to get better and will begin featuring Lattimore even more. If I’m Ironton I’m happy with the win (obviously) but would focus on making the team more disciplined moving forward before it costs them a game.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
BigSpoon
JV Team

Post by BigSpoon »

I think they should move Terry to running back

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Ironton replaced 9 starters on D and 7 on Offense. Wheelersburg returned more starters than Ironton.

A lot of young uncharacteristic mistakes on a big stage. The game was very close to being busted open. Both coaching staffs will make necessary adjustments and I’m sure you will see a big improvement week 2.

Cruise
Waterboy

Post by Cruise »

Burg’s best player is a transfer. Go figure :lol:

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

XandOs wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:04 pm Ironton replaced 9 starters on D and 7 on Offense. Wheelersburg returned more starters than Ironton.

A lot of young uncharacteristic mistakes on a big stage. The game was very close to being busted open. Both coaching staffs will make necessary adjustments and I’m sure you will see a big improvement week 2.
Agree 💯, huge win for Ironton with all they lost. Pendleton does a great job reloading.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Lol the concessions was the only struggle. Awesome game

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Generally speaking: the game itself was a hard watch. Not many redeeming qualities.

Neither team looked like world beaters. Both sidelines [ coaching] looked like they were lost at times and both teams basically survived off the other teams mistakes GIVING them gifts rather than their execution creating opportunities.

As an Ironton fan these are my concerns and bright spots. [ BTW = i dont do feel good hallmark posts to stroke egos I state facts so get over it ]

1. And again. Offensive identity. The offensive playcalling the last 2 or 3 seasons look like throwing spaghetti at a wall to see what sticks. Still NO fundamental offensive identity that serves as that anchor/bread and butter you lean on as your foundation. The playcalling looks like a kid runnin through a customized playbook on madden and seeing what works.NO STABLE FOUNDATION. They are just callin plays and hoping to out athelete everybody. DEVELOP AN IDENTITY ALREADY!!! SMH

2. Last few seasons Ironton was most experienced and talented at the skills. This season its the opposite. The O and D line have the POTENTIAL to be very good and stabilize the team.

3. Discipline. = THERE ISN'T ANY AT ALL WHATSOEVER. NONE. I have been around TONS of big city programs that had TONS of "edge" "grit" "swag" whatever ya wanna call it - that was STILL VERY DISCIPLINED. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FORSAKE being disciplined to play with an inspired chip on ya shoulder. You can be BOTH. ABSOLUTELY ZERO EXCUSE for the extra curricular bull 💩! Its time to deactivate the twitters until the discipline returns. Ironton LOOKS great at self promotion and HALF AZZ at fundamentals and POISE. ( SUBSTANCE) - this isnt a random occurence either. It is CHRONIC AND ONGOING. FCKN FIX IT!

4. WILLIAMS IS RB1 clearly but if he fumbles a cpl times u dont go away from him for THE REST OF THE ENTIRE GAME & destroy his confidence. For a few series sure. But he shoulda got touches in 2nd half to help restore some confidence instead of runnin the darn QB in the ground. 👈 if that continues ya gonna have an injured qb1 and qb2 by mid season . Hart showed he runs hard and he has the physical tools. His vision will improve with more reps. Goin fwd Williams and.Hart should be the two backs we use in the run game.

5. Passing game isnt what QB1 needs. Instead of looking for big bombs downfield QB1 needs quick short and intermediate passes that get Terry and Shrek in space WHILE also helping to develop qb1's confidence. = again playcalling was TRASH.

6. Defense did ok but Burg being feckless offensively helped that cause tremendously. Lotsa missed tackles. Lotsa not wrapping up. Lots of lost composure. Again lots of work needs to be done.

I dont have much to say about burg because if you have the kinda showing we had last night you should NOT have ANYTHING to say about ANYONE but yourself! Close ya mouths, turn off ya twitter alerts and GET TO WORK.

All that said... another win vs a top 10 region 19 opponent and another win vs burg. Ugly but humbling. Lots of teachable moments. Coaching is gonna have to earn their supper this season. 💯

.... NOW HIT MY THEME MUSIC 🎵🎵
Attachments
Screenshot_20230819_140226.jpg
Last edited by BTWNTHE__ on Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Cruise wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:08 pm Burg’s best player is a transfer. Go figure :lol:
A recruit

Wonder what homegrown burg kid lost their spot to a trojan recruit? 😉

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

I agree with letting Terry and Shrek in space, underneath routes and slants and let them utilize their speed, they are some quick dudes

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

osu 77 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:08 pm
gobucs20 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:03 pm Don't think I've ever seen a more undisciplined performance than Ironton’s tonight. Coaches should be embarrassed.
Embarrassed that they won really!
Yes . When your team committed that many penalties and not to mention turns over the ball you should be embarrassed. Try that in the playoffs against a disciplined team and you will go home with a loss.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

gobucs20 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:42 pm
osu 77 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:08 pm
gobucs20 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:03 pm Don't think I've ever seen a more undisciplined performance than Ironton’s tonight. Coaches should be embarrassed.
Embarrassed that they won really!
Yes . When your team committed that many penalties and not to mention turns over the ball you should be embarrassed. Try that in the playoffs against a disciplined team and you will go home with a loss.

Burg had 4 interceptions and penalties of their own.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:22 am Completely unbiased viewpoint….

I thought both teams flashed a ton of potential. I don’t think Ironton has the overall horses of their last few state championship game runs, but maybe they’ll prove me wrong. Terry is an absolute beast. I’m very confused what’s going on with the Pittman kid? He got a lot of hype and supposedly had an offer from UK…. but???

Burgs offense is going to be a serious problem as the season goes on. Lattimore was a big time move in for Burg, that kid can play and gives Rucker a tremendous target. The sophomore WR’s will continue to get better, Evans kid could be special also. Rucker made a couple silly passes in tight windows but that happens with young QBs. He’ll watch the film and learn from it.

I’d love to see these two teams meet again in the Regional. I will say, Ironton has more offensive question marks going forward than Burg does. Burg’s young QB is only going to get better and will begin featuring Lattimore even more. If I’m Ironton I’m happy with the win (obviously) but would focus on making the team more disciplined moving forward before it costs them a game.
This is a good take. Ironton has a good team but their depth is an issue. Once burg figures out how they are going to run the ball, everything else will open up. Both these teams are very good.

Return to “Football”