August 18, 2023 Marietta 18 - 21 Fort Frye

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

August 18, 2023 Marietta 18 - 21 Fort Frye

Post by EasternDspy »

Cadets need to replace a ton of production. What’s going on at Marietta ?

Skyrocket
Riding the Bench

Re: WK 1: Fort Frye @ Marietta

Post by Skyrocket »

Forte Frye gets the win.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Right out of the gate this should show if Fort Frye can still beat some of the big boys. Don't think Marietta is one of the best but far from the worst. If Marietta puts some big numbers up it will surlily show Fort Frye is hurting to a point. If not, it means the machine had its oil changed and coming out of the garage.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

Well if Marietta cannot compete with Williamstown anymore, why would it be any different against a better program in Fort Frye ? This would have been unthinkable 40 years ago but here we are. Rooting hard for my Tigers but not too optimistic.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Marietta has a couple of nice athletes coming back and some decent size on the line. They will be improved, but to be fair, it would be almost impossible not to be given last season's disaster (inexperience and tons of injuries). As for this game, it will be a good opener for Fort Frye. The Tigers have some players that will challenge the Cadets, but I don't think we really are much of a threat to win the game. Obviously I hope I am wrong, but our programs are just in much different places.

Tigers scrimmage Philo on Saturday and Cambridge next week. Hopefully will know a little more following those.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye returns some key players

Qb/ CB JR Clayton Miller
All State OT/DE Graham Baker
Rb / S Sr Bryndan Riddle
C/N Sr Morgan Smith
LB Sr Keegan Strode
Wr SO Tyce Beardsley
P - Clay Gruey
LB/ G Blake Wheeler
LB/ TE / Qb Sabo Huck
Olb - Maddox Huck
G/ C Jr Braxton Ross
OT/ DE - Trevon Nicholson

Key injury

Dakota Snodgrass top Cb and Wr tore his acl in basketball

Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

Post by Notsofastmyfriend »

EasternDspy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:47 pm Fort Frye returns some key players

Qb/ CB JR Clayton Miller
Rb / S Sr Bryndan Riddle
C/N Sr Morgan Smith
LB Sr Keegan Strode
Wr SO Tyce Beardsley
P - Clay Gruey
LB/ G Blake Wheeler
LB/ TE / Qb Sabo Huck
Olb - Maddox Huck
G/ C Jr Braxton Ross

Key injury

How many of these players are out for game one? Heard some of them might be?

MOVSPORTS
Waterboy

Post by MOVSPORTS »

Marietta should be much improved this season but I don’t think that means a victory week 1 vs the cadets.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:44 pm

Qb/ CB JR Clayton Miller
Rb / S Sr Bryndan Riddle
C/N Sr Morgan Smith
LB Sr Keegan Strode
Wr SO Tyce Beardsley
P - Clay Gruey
LB/ G Blake Wheeler
LB/ TE / Qb Sabo Huck
Olb - Maddox Huck
G/ C Jr Braxton Ross

Key injury

No idea

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Qb/ CB JR Clayton Miller
Rb / S Sr Bryndan Riddle
C/N Sr Morgan Smith
LB Sr Keegan Strode
Wr SO Tyce Beardsley
P - Clay Gruey
LB/ G Blake Wheeler
LB/ TE / Qb Sabo Huck
Olb - Maddox Huck
G/ C Jr Braxton Ross

Key injury

Will Riddle be their featured back or will we see someone else step up like Powell last year?

Go Blue
Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

Post by Notsofastmyfriend »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:07 pm
Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:44 pm

Qb/ CB JR Clayton Miller
Rb / S Sr Bryndan Riddle
C/N Sr Morgan Smith
LB Sr Keegan Strode
Wr SO Tyce Beardsley
P - Clay Gruey
LB/ G Blake Wheeler
LB/ TE / Qb Sabo Huck
Olb - Maddox Huck
G/ C Jr Braxton Ross

Key injury

No idea
Haha. You know everything about Fort Frye. Guess we’ll have to wait until the game to see. I have a hard time believing you don’t know.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Whs95fan wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:27 pm

Qb/ CB JR Clayton Miller
Rb / S Sr Bryndan Riddle
C/N Sr Morgan Smith
LB Sr Keegan Strode
Wr SO Tyce Beardsley
P - Clay Gruey
LB/ G Blake Wheeler
LB/ TE / Qb Sabo Huck
Olb - Maddox Huck
G/ C Jr Braxton Ross

Key injury

Will Riddle be their featured back or will we see someone else step up like Powell last year?

Riddle will have a shot to have a big year. Other backs to watch Ross Schulthies , Ayden Holman , Coen Holman and Mathias Kesselring.

3rd Knuckle
Waterboy

Post by 3rd Knuckle »

:
Cowboy22 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:53 am I was told eight starters have to sit out the first game because of vaping or tobacco usage. I don't know which eight they are
That could be an interesting development!

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye scrimmaged a big Harrison Central team today.

Each team ran total of 20 plays.

Harrison scored twice on long passes.

Fort did well vs the run.

On offense Fort was trying some different things but did not score.

Then they went to down and distance.

Clayton Miller had a nice int on defense.

HC had 3 drives did not score.

Fort Frye started to run the ball really well at the end. Keegan Strode ended the varsity scrimmage with a 12 yard Td Run.

2-1 was the final.

Learning experience. Fort had a few guys out who could not hit because they didn’t have enough practices in.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Marietta scrimmaged Philo on Saturday at Don Drumm. If I had to say someone "won" the scrimmage, it would be Philo, but it was fairly even IMO. I think both teams scored 1 TD each in 10-10's, and both teams scored in Down&Distance (Philo may have scored twice in D&D). Philo is a pretty decent team.

Marietta's defense gave up some big plays defensively, but definitely looked improved and made some plays behind the line of scrimmage. Some missed tackles and things to clean up on but not terrible. There are some good looking kids size-wise on the DL who are fairly athletic.

Offensively, Marietta's passing game definitely improved as the scrimmage went on. They should actually be able to throw the ball this year and the QB made good decisions even though he struggled with accuracy early. Run game also struggled at times, sometimes because linemen missed blocks and other times because RB's missed open holes/made the wrong cuts.

Overall, Marietta has a lot of players back who gained experience last year because they played so many young guys due to injuries. They have about 5 good athletes (their best RB did not play on Saturday) who can make plays and some size upfront. If their passing game continues to take steps forward after the promise it showed Saturday I think it can compliment the Wing-T run game nicely and they should be able to move the ball and score some points. There is some decent talent on this team.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

boss8 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:51 am Marietta scrimmaged Philo on Saturday at Don Drumm. If I had to say someone "won" the scrimmage, it would be Philo, but it was fairly even IMO. I think both teams scored 1 TD each in 10-10's, and both teams scored in Down&Distance (Philo may have scored twice in D&D). Philo is a pretty decent team.

Marietta's defense gave up some big plays defensively, but definitely looked improved and made some plays behind the line of scrimmage. Some missed tackles and things to clean up on but not terrible. There are some good looking kids size-wise on the DL who are fairly athletic.

Offensively, Marietta's passing game definitely improved as the scrimmage went on. They should actually be able to throw the ball this year and the QB made good decisions even though he struggled with accuracy early. Run game also struggled at times, sometimes because linemen missed blocks and other times because RB's missed open holes/made the wrong cuts.

Overall, Marietta has a lot of players back who gained experience last year because they played so many young guys due to injuries. They have about 5 good athletes (their best RB did not play on Saturday) who can make plays and some size upfront. If their passing game continues to take steps forward after the promise it showed Saturday I think it can compliment the Wing-T run game nicely and they should be able to move the ball and score some points. There is some decent talent on this team.
I like to hear this. Looking forward to a good Week 10 game this year. Would be great for both schools to play a meaningful Week 10 rivalry game.

thirtyonetrap
Varsity

Post by thirtyonetrap »

Fort will win this one. It could be closer than expected but they still come out on top.

Hurting the feelings of the nadless wonders who are afraid to comment before the games.
pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

boss8 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:51 am Marietta scrimmaged Philo on Saturday at Don Drumm. If I had to say someone "won" the scrimmage, it would be Philo, but it was fairly even IMO. I think both teams scored 1 TD each in 10-10's, and both teams scored in Down&Distance (Philo may have scored twice in D&D). Philo is a pretty decent team.

Appreciate the rundown, boss. I know it was just a scrimmage, but love to hear the passing game looks improved. That will be huge for the offense this year imo. Year 2 running the wing-T will hopefully be better.

MariettaFan7
Waterboy

Post by MariettaFan7 »

Good summary of the game. Much improved Marietta team - you can tell from their level of play coach Schob and his staff have been working on some culture things. 100% accurate that the offense just has a few things to clean up - you can tell it was a first scrimmage, but all things that appear they can fix. Doesn't appear at all to be an effort thing. In the wing-t if you can throw it 6-8 times, your QB could easily be 5-6 with over 100 yards passing because of the run setting up the pass. The key will be to keep that energy going forward and when adversity hits, have your culture ready - looks like they are well on their way for this.

MariettaFan7
Waterboy

Post by MariettaFan7 »

Wildcatone wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:54 pm Well if Marietta cannot compete with Williamstown anymore, why would it be any different against a better program in Fort Frye ? This would have been unthinkable 40 years ago but here we are. Rooting hard for my Tigers but not too optimistic.
To be fair - Marietta is about nearly 400 kids enrollment wise down then they were 30-40 years ago. So in reality they are closer in size to the local schools now than that of the bigger schools they used to play. You are correct, playing FF 40 years ago was unthinkable but only because of the size difference between the schools.

Return to “Football”