August 19, 2023 Gallia Academy 39 - 0 Meigs

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Re: Meigs @ Gallia Academy 8.19.23

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Thegreenwave wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:57 pm I think its time for Gallia to start looking for better nonconfrence games. That D1 offense of Meigs has only scored 1 touchdown in 2 years
He's just sandbagging for conference play. Trust him guys. He was D1. He knows. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:57 am
BlizzardMan wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:10 am
Dundas wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:24 am

Gallia to the TVC? Meigs, Wellston, VC, NY would all be big gates for Gallia.

That'd probably be much better than the OVC.
I've said for years that the TVC would be a better fit for GA than playing in a Lawrence county league which has your shortest travel time at a little less than an hour by bus. Meanwhile, TVC-Ohio would have a 15 minute trip to RV, 30-40 minutes to Meigs, VC, and Wellston, an hour or so to Athens, Alex, and maybe an hour 15 to NY. Bigger schools on average too. Keep Point Pleasant on the schedule, maybe see if Minford or Waverly will be up for a home and home. Can't see Jackson and GA playing again anytime soon for one reason or another, despite it being a great gate and usually a pretty competitive game. Maybe Marietta or Chillicothe or keep the series with Fairland going.
I'm still all in with the OVC. I agree the travel and roads would be slightly better in the TVC. However, that is pretty much where the benefits end. The OVC is a better athletic conference in almost every aspect. There is no other league in Gallia's immediate area that will better prepare them for the grind of the OHSAA football and basketball playoffs. What I still would like to see is the OVC expand by targeting River Valley and Oak Hill to split the league. I'm not a fan of all the mandatory games with the Rock Hills and Chesapeakes. Those are games where Gallia could pick up a Meigs, Athens, and Wellston for gate purposes. Jackson and Point Pleasant are two other games that I feel should be on the schedule every year.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Vegeta wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:37 pm

I've said for years that the TVC would be a better fit for GA than playing in a Lawrence county league which has your shortest travel time at a little less than an hour by bus. Meanwhile, TVC-Ohio would have a 15 minute trip to RV, 30-40 minutes to Meigs, VC, and Wellston, an hour or so to Athens, Alex, and maybe an hour 15 to NY. Bigger schools on average too. Keep Point Pleasant on the schedule, maybe see if Minford or Waverly will be up for a home and home. Can't see Jackson and GA playing again anytime soon for one reason or another, despite it being a great gate and usually a pretty competitive game. Maybe Marietta or Chillicothe or keep the series with Fairland going.
I'm still all in with the OVC. I agree the travel and roads would be slightly better in the TVC. However, that is pretty much where the benefits end. The OVC is a better athletic conference in almost every aspect. There is no other league in Gallia's immediate area that will better prepare them for the grind of the OHSAA football and basketball playoffs. What I still would like to see is the OVC expand by targeting River Valley and Oak Hill to split the league. I'm not a fan of all the mandatory games with the Rock Hills and Chesapeakes. Those are games where Gallia could pick up a Meigs, Athens, and Wellston for gate purposes. Jackson and Point Pleasant are two other games that I feel should be on the schedule every year.
Don't care one way or the other but using the better league prepares them for the grind of the playoffs is WAY over used. Only a few teams in our area could say or need that and Gallia definitely isn't one of them.

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

Bird Dog wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:07 pm

Don't care one way or the other but using the better league prepares them for the grind of the playoffs is WAY over used. Only a few teams in our area could say or need that and Gallia definitely isn't one of them.
So you are saying Gallia shouldn't aspire? If league titles are the only goal, then Yes, they should join the TVC immediately.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

They can aspire all they want, but if you have a great team, you have a great team no matter the league.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Vegeta wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:15 pm

So you are saying Gallia shouldn't aspire? If league titles are the only goal, then Yes, they should join the TVC immediately.
Better GA teams from years gone by played in a significantly tougher conference and did it ever lead them to a regional title or state title? To my knowledge, no, it didn't.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

I can also assure you, Oak Hill wants no part of the OVC with the way their program is right now. River Valley definitely doesn't want back in the OVC either after leaving the OVC, for one, and dropping GA a couple years later. Only way I could see RV leaving for the OVC is if it's a direct swap with GA. And even that, I don't see happening.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Cypress wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:33 am
grayjonathan42 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:57 am Anyone know the reason for the ejection I was at the game but never saw anything that sparked ejection I could of missed the act or view been blocked I just was curious what they ejected the player for
Threw a punch to the head.
does he set out for 1 or 2 games

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:04 pm

Better GA teams from years gone by played in a significantly tougher conference and did it ever lead them to a regional title or state title? To my knowledge, no, it didn't.
I am very aware of GAHS history in the SEOAL and postseason play. If it were still an option in 2023, I'd be all for getting the old gang back together. However, with declining enrollment numbers and demographics, trips to Marietta and Logan are no longer practical. The OVC is the best option based on competition. Yes, joining the TVC would be slightly better on travel, but nevertheless, a step in the wrong direction. Ironton, Portsmouth, Fairland>>>>>Athens, Vinton County, Nelsonville-York. Will playing the OVC schools eventually lead to a regional title in football?? Who Knows, but I like the idea of the kids playing some of the best competition the southeast corner of the state has to offer as opposed to just winning a TVC title. Not to mention, the TVC had their chance to add Gallia Academy when the SEOAL was going under. They voted them down.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vegeta wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:35 pm

I am very aware of GAHS history in the SEOAL and postseason play. If it were still an option in 2023, I'd be all for getting the old gang back together. However, with declining enrollment numbers and demographics, trips to Marietta and Logan are no longer practical. The OVC is the best option based on competition. Yes, joining the TVC would be slightly better on travel, but nevertheless, a step in the wrong direction. Ironton, Portsmouth, Fairland>>>>>Athens, Vinton County, Nelsonville-York. Will playing the OVC schools eventually lead to a regional title in football?? Who Knows, but I like the idea of the kids playing some of the best competition the southeast corner of the state has to offer as opposed to just winning a TVC title. Not to mention, the TVC had their chance to add Gallia Academy when the SEOAL was going under. They voted them down.
To be fair, the SEOAL deal was for all the schools as a block. If each one petitioned on their own, Gallia would have had a realistic shot to join the TVC. I also feel like good teams will go just as far in the postseason regardless of who they play during the season. Look at Burrow and Athens. If Athens never left the SEOAL, one, would they have had the same pool of kids playing on that team and two, would it have made a difference in terms of competition level of regular season games? I don’t think so.

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

Burrow is an anomaly and a special situation. Athens and southeastern Ohio in general will probably never see an athlete like him again.

Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

Dundas wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:06 pm

To be fair, the SEOAL deal was for all the schools as a block. If each one petitioned on their own, Gallia would have had a realistic shot to join the TVC. I also feel like good teams will go just as far in the postseason regardless of who they play during the season. Look at Burrow and Athens. If Athens never left the SEOAL, one, would they have had the same pool of kids playing on that team and two, would it have made a difference in terms of competition level of regular season games? I don’t think so.
I’m sure you think that is the case about GA being able to get a “realistic shot” at getting into the TVC individually but it just isn’t the case. Other than Athens and NY the TVC Ohio schools were totally against it including VC. Most of the Hocking schools were as well. I was in those meetings so I’m not speaking on second or third hand knowledge.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

The Old SEOAL 👍😎💪

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Attack wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:04 pm
Dundas wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:06 pm

I’m sure you think that is the case about GA being able to get a “realistic shot” at getting into the TVC individually but it just isn’t the case. Other than Athens and NY the TVC Ohio schools were totally against it including VC. Most of the Hocking schools were as well. I was in those meetings so I’m not speaking on second or third hand knowledge.
That may be the case in 2017 but the TVC has seen a decrease in schools over the last few years. VC has gotten back to a more competitive program as well since the early 2010’s and also have new administrators. I think VC would be a yes vote at the moment.

As far as Gallia playing in a tougher conference. Wouldn’t the Blue Devils be better off playing in the TVC and winning 8 to 10 games a year and hosting two playoff games as opposed to playing tougher competition and winning 7 games and traveling to St. Clairsville or Sheridan? I think the obvious choice is the TVC for a better shot at hosting and more gate money for every sport. It just seems like a win win. Same for Oak Hill.

Thegreenwave
Riding the Bench

Post by Thegreenwave »

What happen to all the Meigs posters?

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Thegreenwave wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:50 pm What happen to all the Meigs posters?
I wanna know where they went too. Seems like GA could've beat them by 80.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

itsme wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:15 pm
grayjonathan42 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:57 am Anyone know the reason for the ejection I was at the game but never saw anything that sparked ejection I could of missed the act or view been blocked I just was curious what they ejected the player for
I saw Meigs player push Gallia player. Gallia player pushed back, got the flag, ejection. Personal foul? Probably. Ejection worthy? Nope.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Baldeagle wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:18 am
Thegreenwave wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:57 pm I think its time for Gallia to start looking for better nonconfrence games. That D1 offense of Meigs has only scored 1 touchdown in 2 years
I have a plan. GA dumps Meigs. Eastern dumps RV. GA nuts up and plays Eastern (and finds out). Meigs plays RV twice so that they can share in the joy of scoring points.
What kind of sauce are you on, baldeagle?

Cypress
Riding the Bench

Post by Cypress »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:10 pm
itsme wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:15 pm

I saw Meigs player push Gallia player. Gallia player pushed back, got the flag, ejection. Personal foul? Probably. Ejection worthy? Nope.
Well you can go to Tony Hawk's FB page and watch the Livestream at the 20:30 mark. Meigs player was engaged pushing Gallia player back all while live, then the whistle blows, Meigs player disengages and the Gallia player throws a right hook to the head clearly after the whistle. So believe whatever you want but a punch is more than likely going to get you ejected.
Is it worthy of another games suspension, I don't believe so. Wasn't like a fight or anything it was just a frustration swing and the body language of the Gallia player appeared to regret it immediately after it happened.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

I understand, only stating what I saw.

Return to “Football”