August 25, 2023 Zane Trace 28 - 42 Waverly

smurray
SEOPS HO

August 25, 2023 Zane Trace 28 - 42 Waverly

Post by smurray »

Waverly with a heartbreaker against Miami Trace last night, going for 2 to win it with .26 left. The catch was made in the endzone but ruled incomplete when the ball came loose as he hit the ground.
Zane Trace losing last night to a very good Logan Elm squad last night.

Waverly couldn't get the running game going but threw it 46 times for 366 yards and 4 TD's with 0 interceptions.
It sounds like ZT had difficulty defending the pass against Logan Elm.

Waverly needs to figure out how to get the running game going as they had a total 17 Net yards rushing.

Thoughts on this one as the Tigers head to Kinnikinnick?

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Re: Week 2: Waverly (0-1) at Zane Trace (0-1)

Post by Tigernation2021 »

It was a tough loss against Miami Trace as there were times we just didn't capitalize in certain situations. One thing that came out of that game was these kids fought from start to finish, down 2 scores 2 different times in the game and heading into the 4th and to have a shot to win it at the end showed a lot of guts. We couldn't run the ball but offensively we kept clawing to keep it close with the passing game, defensively we gave up 200 yards rushing but again there were times when the defense stepped up to make a play to keep the game within striking distance. With all of that being said we've got to get better along the line of scrimmage in HS you're simply not going to win very many games rushing for 17 yards.

ZT with a new coach took on a tough Logan Elm squad and they're tough up front but struggled in the passing game on both sides of the ball. I look for ZT to try and be dominate the LOS in a big way in this way. If we can get ahead of them and force them into passing situations, it's going to benefit us in a big way as ZT simply wasn't very good airing it out against Logan Elm.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

A winnable game for the tigers. If the passing attack is like it was against Miami Trace I can see an opportunity to win. Forcing turnovers and getting up by a possession or two making them try to throw would be ideal. Gotta figure out the rushing attack Hurd is a monster

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

Post by GeneralCarpenter »

Waverly by 10+

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:52 am It was a tough loss against Miami Trace as there were times we just didn't capitalize in certain situations. One thing that came out of that game was these kids fought from start to finish, down 2 scores 2 different times in the game and heading into the 4th and to have a shot to win it at the end showed a lot of guts. We couldn't run the ball but offensively we kept clawing to keep it close with the passing game, defensively we gave up 200 yards rushing but again there were times when the defense stepped up to make a play to keep the game within striking distance. With all of that being said we've got to get better along the line of scrimmage in HS you're simply not going to win very many games rushing for 17 yards.

ZT with a new coach took on a tough Logan Elm squad and they're tough up front but struggled in the passing game on both sides of the ball. I look for ZT to try and be dominate the LOS in a big way in this way. If we can get ahead of them and force them into passing situations, it's going to benefit us in a big way as ZT simply wasn't very good airing it out against Logan Elm.
Logan Elm is OK. Not that good.
Zane Trace is running the spread. Not usual in those neck of the woods.
Kind of like a fish out of water.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

petesweaty wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:54 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:52 am It was a tough loss against Miami Trace as there were times we just didn't capitalize in certain situations. One thing that came out of that game was these kids fought from start to finish, down 2 scores 2 different times in the game and heading into the 4th and to have a shot to win it at the end showed a lot of guts. We couldn't run the ball but offensively we kept clawing to keep it close with the passing game, defensively we gave up 200 yards rushing but again there were times when the defense stepped up to make a play to keep the game within striking distance. With all of that being said we've got to get better along the line of scrimmage in HS you're simply not going to win very many games rushing for 17 yards.

Guess that remains to be seen, they went 8-2 last season and just beat the team picked to win the SVC by 16 think until I see different I’ll give them more respect then just OK. ZT is running spread formations they are not running the spread only 13 passing attempts in a game where they were down all night. They’re still a running team the new coach is a running coach he just does it from more spread formations.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:08 pm
petesweaty wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:54 pm

Guess that remains to be seen, they went 8-2 last season and just beat the team picked to win the SVC by 16 think until I see different I’ll give them more respect then just OK. ZT is running spread formations they are not running the spread only 13 passing attempts in a game where they were down all night. They’re still a running team the new coach is a running coach he just does it from more spread formations.
Again, Logan Elm is just OK.
Again, Zane Trace when successful is power football.
Last edited by petesweaty on Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Zt 35
Waverly 28

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

Not sure this game is gonna be close at all…just thinking Waverly by a bunch. Hoping I am wrong.

LegalizeSteroids
Waterboy

Post by LegalizeSteroids »

I don’t think this game is very close. Waverly being waverly has way more strength and speed on the outside. Zane Trace is missing a huge piece of their line with nobody to replace him. Therefore they can’t run the ball effectively and senior QB Carter Langley is forced to rush his passes. Defensively the Pioneers had some big time kickoff coverage issues which let Logan Elm command the field. This allowed senior QB Aaron Walters to toy the Zane Trace DBs all night. Hoping for a good game but Waverly is just too much. Never the less great for Zane Trace a relatively young team defensively to be playing good competition to help the team later down the road before entering SVC play.

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Post by YouCantBeSerious »

LegalizeSteroids wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:37 pm I don’t think this game is very close. Waverly being waverly has way more strength and speed on the outside. Zane Trace is missing a huge piece of their line with nobody to replace him. Therefore they can’t run the ball effectively and senior QB Carter Langley is forced to rush his passes. Defensively the Pioneers had some big time kickoff coverage issues which let Logan Elm command the field. This allowed senior QB Aaron Walters to toy the Zane Trace DBs all night. Hoping for a good game but Waverly is just too much. Never the less great for Zane Trace a relatively young team defensively to be playing good competition to help the team later down the road before entering SVC play.
I think you are maybe giving a little too much credit to Waverly. I don’t believe Waverly has way more strength than ZT, well even if they do Waverly as a whole is not super physical. They have a few guys here and there who are, but across the board they lack physicality, at least so far in this short season. Waverly HAS to dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball if they want to win, I think ZT’s dline could give Waverly fits. Waverly struggled terribly in the run game last week, and it was not due to bad running back play.. And if the line doesn’t give Kelly time, it could be a long night. I heard LE’s QB was decently mobile and Kelly so far hasn’t shown that yet. ZT’s QB is a monster running the ball and could have his way if Waverly doesn’t wrap up, which has shown to be a weakness at times. Waverly has to commit to stopping the run and beg ZT to throw the ball, they should just play man with maybe one safety all night until ZT proves otherwise. I think this could be anyone’s game.

allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Post by allaboutsports »

I look for Waverly to bounce back in a big way. Hurd will redeem himself this week. He will catch the ball and will run the ball well.
Its all going to come down to if Waverly can tackle anyone and if they can block anyone.
Waverly 28-14

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

ZT goes to 1-1

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Tigernation2021
Varsity

LegalizeSteroids wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:37 pm I don’t think this game is very close. Waverly being waverly has way more strength and speed on the outside. Zane Trace is missing a huge piece of their line with nobody to replace him. Therefore they can’t run the ball effectively and senior QB Carter Langley is forced to rush his passes. Defensively the Pioneers had some big time kickoff coverage issues which let Logan Elm command the field. This allowed senior QB Aaron Walters to toy the Zane Trace DBs all night. Hoping for a good game but Waverly is just too much. Never the less great for Zane Trace a relatively young team defensively to be playing good competition to help the team later down the road before entering SVC play.
Not sure where you're getting your information but Waverly doesn't have the size along the LOS this season. Even with ZT missing a guy it's going to take a lot for Waverly to walk out of this one with the W. Waverly was unable to apply any pressure to the Miami Trace QB last week and while we gave up 200 yards rushing there were times we stood up to the run and other times we were getting it ran right down our throat. ZT has a major size advantage up front and hopefully the line can hold up well enough to get the running game going and give the QB time to throw. This one will be close and can go either way.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

ZT gets it done at home I think, close though.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

This should be a great game. I'm going with the SVC in this matchup.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Good measuring stick game for both teams. Waverly will want to avoid and 0-2 I’d they want any hope at hosting in their tough region

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
LegalizeSteroids
Waterboy

Post by LegalizeSteroids »

I just believe that Waverly being a bigger school has more man power. Logan Elm was physical but it just seems like both of these teams have the same exact problems. I feel that if Kelly sits in the pocket with time then it will be a long day for Zane Trace as the corners were beat all night this past Friday. Zane Trace has some struggles bringing guys down when everyone thought the play was over already. Should be a good one from what I’m hearing.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

I follow basketball much closer then football so I don't catch a lot of the Tigers football games but based on the radio it sounded like last game they had several opportunities to make a big play and fell a little bit short. Dropped passes early, etc. ZT I really believe is outgunned here, unless Waverly has turnovers I don't see them losing. Also, I know in the past Waverly wouldn't let freshman play up but didn't know if there was an exception with a good group of younger kids coming through if they would allow freshman to play? It makes sense to not get your talented young kids hurt but just was curious if I show up tomorrow night who will be on the field.

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Post by YouCantBeSerious »

bobcats94 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:15 am I follow basketball much closer then football so I don't catch a lot of the Tigers football games but based on the radio it sounded like last game they had several opportunities to make a big play and fell a little bit short. Dropped passes early, etc. ZT I really believe is outgunned here, unless Waverly has turnovers I don't see them losing. Also, I know in the past Waverly wouldn't let freshman play up but didn't know if there was an exception with a good group of younger kids coming through if they would allow freshman to play? It makes sense to not get your talented young kids hurt but just was curious if I show up tomorrow night who will be on the field.
So far there is only one freshman who plays consistently and that is Kader at guard. Others may sprinkle in on special teams or a play here or two, but that’s about it. The freshman class does a have a few nice pieces to look forwards to as time goes on, maybe even the makings of the next great QB to come thru Waverly….

But I don’t think Waverly had a rule where they won’t play freshman, but they will only play them if they truly think they are ready and don’t have a ton of other options at that position it seems like.

Return to “Football”