Post by mattash »

thoughts?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Wk4 Belpre - Waterford

Post by EasternDspy »

Waterford kind of shocked me in its win over Shenandoah.

muskiefan11
JV Team

Post by muskiefan11 »

Waterford huge

Muskie740
Waterboy

Post by Muskie740 »

Change at qb helped the offense. Looked like Shenandoah lost at least 1 Maybe 2 O lineman in the second half. Waterford took advantage of that.

EasternDspy wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:07 pm Waterford kind of shocked me in its win over Shenandoah.

Buckeye2021
Freshman Team

Post by Buckeye2021 »

Muskie740 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:18 pm Change at qb helped the offense. Looked like Shenandoah lost at least 1 Maybe 2 O lineman in the second half. Waterford took advantage of that.

EasternDspy wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:07 pm Waterford kind of shocked me in its win over Shenandoah.
The freshman jones at quarterback now?

Muskie740
Waterboy

Post by Muskie740 »

Finished the Shenandoah game there. Idk about the future
Buckeye2021 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:34 pm
Muskie740 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:18 pm Change at qb helped the offense. Looked like Shenandoah lost at least 1 Maybe 2 O lineman in the second half. Waterford took advantage of that.

The freshman jones at quarterback now?

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

According to my records, Waterford leads the overall series 9-8 vs Belpre

These are non-conference games

1997 Belpre 41-14
1998 Belpre 38-14
1999 Belpre 35-7
2000 Belpre 23-6

Belpre goes to TVC Hocking - these are conference games

2010 Waterford 49-20
2011 Waterford 46-7
2012 Belpre 27-0
2013 Belpre 19-0
2014 Belpre 28-8
2015 Belpre 53-32
2016 Waterford 68-0
2017 Waterford 44-3
2018 Waterford 24-17
2019 Waterford 26-16
2020 Waterford 42-7
2021 Waterford 55-8
2022 Waterford 47-0
Last edited by BJCassady on Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

We face another tough team this week. We continue to improve but not much shows for it on the scoreboard.

As we get more experience and confidence this will turn around but it will take time. Coaches and players are doing a great job.

As far as I know, this game will be at Belpre on Friday night as the new sod has taken root from the track replacement project. All that remains is for the new track to be striped. Hopefully, that will be done by Friday night but that shouldn't have an affect on where the game is played.

Hopefully, we are back to full strength this Friday.

Good luck and good health to both teams.

As always...

LETS GO EAGLES!

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

The game has been moved to Parkersburg High School, again.

Somebody needs to get their act together on getting our field in shape for games, football and soccer.

Embarrassing.

Willisstarchersdad
Waterboy

Post by Willisstarchersdad »

A bit off topic, but there is far more going on in Belpre than the field. I am sick for our seniors (of which I have 2). BELPRE WILL NEVER WIN A GAME. COACHING HAS GONE FROM BAD TO WORSE. My son was replaced at QB and moved to the offensive line (willis has scored the only points for Belpre last year and so far this year). However theor coach on hos infinite wisdom and his woeful losing record as a coach, replaced willis with a player THAT HAS MORE INTERCEPTIONS THAN COMPLETED PASSES. (and that's literal). Willis a senior moved from the most critical position on the field to obscurity and it given to an underclassmen who cries alone in the locker room after games because he is not mature enough TO BE A VARSITY QB.!!! Where did they find this coach? He needs to be fired immediately while the season is salvageable. Our kids deserve better. So now kids are talking mass exodus because this brilliant coach ( that refused to even shake hands with the warren coach after the game) said any player who lobbies for willis to play QB should just quit. So I know of 7 who are contemplating this. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!!! SOMEONE ENLIGHTEN ME PLEASE.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

About the game. Regardless of where it is played, Waterford wins by a comfortable margin. Not from Belpre, but just a HS football fan. I've watched all this drama over the last three years with the school board, superintendent, Athletic Directors, and the former regime charged with leading the football program and this is just a sad state of affairs. Based on the two prior posts above, it doesn't sound like anything is improving. Yea, I know, the last one is a daddy post, and you've got to take those with a grain of salt. I guess all I can say is that this ongoing pattern of failure is the result of many, but ultimately, it falls to the decision makers who seem to be making things worse, instead of better.

Seems like the board and administration can screw up a free lunch. Hope that the voters in Belpre school district make their displeasure felt at the ballot box. That is the quickest way to drive change. Saddest thing is that the kids over the last four or five years are the ones who have paid the steepest price for this mess.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Buckeye2021
Freshman Team

Post by Buckeye2021 »

Steely Dan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:28 am About the game. Regardless of where it is played, Waterford wins by a comfortable margin. Not from Belpre, but just a HS football fan. I've watched all this drama over the last three years with the school board, superintendent, Athletic Directors, and the former regime charged with leading the football program and this is just a sad state of affairs. Based on the two prior posts above, it doesn't sound like anything is improving. Yea, I know, the last one is a daddy post, and you've got to take those with a grain of salt. I guess all I can say is that this ongoing pattern of failure is the result of many, but ultimately, it falls to the decision makers who seem to be making things worse, instead of better.

Seems like the board and administration can screw up a free lunch. Hope that the voters in Belpre school district make their displeasure felt at the ballot box. That is the quickest way to drive change. Saddest thing is that the kids over the last four or five years are the ones who have paid the steepest price for this mess.
Not sure what happened with devol as coach but the 2 years he was there belpre was competitive and seemed headed on the right path Did he retire I think he might be on caldwells staff

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Well about the previous post. A senior who should be a TEAM leader on a team that must start from scratch, after last two years. Would step up and be the guy a leader, set an example for rest and go to staff and say, where do you need me coach. And offer to do what is needed for his team. The QB or RB is only as good as their line (not an obscure position) the basis of every play. Belpre is fighting injury, vast inexperience, and needs help to have any chance at any success. So that being said, let the coaches, who are with the team everyday and have a much better view of what needs addressed and WHO can best be moved where ever to shore up team, do their job. Or they can put a freshman at 140ish or less on line. And fans can watch their team put up 50 yards or less rushing and be on the wrong side of 66, 60 and 58 points. Belpre opponents d-line is often in the backfield before the play can develop and Number 1or 7 are running for their life. Now this is an observation, not a condemnation. A observation from someone who has no dog in the fight. No children, grandchild or relative on the team. Been around and involved with football for many decades. Seen average players rise above and become intrigal parts of their TEAM. Players who had great athletic ability, But their ego got in the way and never panned out on the field, because they cared more about individual than TEAM. Even played with some me, me, me players. So, just a word from an football fan, let the coaches coach, and encourage your own athlete to learn valuable life lesson. You are in life going to do what is best sometimes for the group as a whole. Putting yourself in a different role for the benefit of all. Sure this will get a lot of hate from some, but others may agree. Agree or don't, your choice. Wish the Belpre coaches and players all the best tonight and the rest of the season, build for the future.

Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

Post by Notsofastmyfriend »

Willisstarchersdad wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:08 am A bit off topic, but there is far more going on in Belpre than the field. I am sick for our seniors (of which I have 2). BELPRE WILL NEVER WIN A GAME. COACHING HAS GONE FROM BAD TO WORSE. My son was replaced at QB and moved to the offensive line (willis has scored the only points for Belpre last year and so far this year). However theor coach on hos infinite wisdom and his woeful losing record as a coach, replaced willis with a player THAT HAS MORE INTERCEPTIONS THAN COMPLETED PASSES. (and that's literal). Willis a senior moved from the most critical position on the field to obscurity and it given to an underclassmen who cries alone in the locker room after games because he is not mature enough TO BE A VARSITY QB.!!! Where did they find this coach? He needs to be fired immediately while the season is salvageable. Our kids deserve better. So now kids are talking mass exodus because this brilliant coach ( that refused to even shake hands with the warren coach after the game) said any player who lobbies for willis to play QB should just quit. So I know of 7 who are contemplating this. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!!! SOMEONE ENLIGHTEN ME PLEASE.
Not sure what games you have watched recently but from my observations, the QB position doesn’t really matter when the receivers can’t catch and the line doesn’t block. To say the coaching has gone from bad to worse, you obviously don’t know the game very well. The coach Belpre had the previous 2 years put the program behind 3 years by not developing the program. The new coach has at least got kids to try football and give them a chance of building something down the road. Starting football for the first time at the high school level isn’t how programs succeed. Belpre has been put in that position by the previous coach. It’s not rocket science. It’s unfortunate your son is a senior and has been asked to help his team at a position he or you don’t seem to agree with. But at this point, I would think he’d want to do whatever it takes to score more than 6 points a year and not give up 50+ a game.

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

I can certainly understand any frustrations coming from a player or parent, especially one who is a senior and this is the last shot at playing HS football.

Over the past 2 seasons I publicly supported our FB coaches even though it was evident from almost day one that the wrong person, coach Bell, had been hired as head coach. Nothing personal but the experience needed was woefully lacking to be a head coach and it showed.

I support our coach Welsh and his staff for this main reason.... this year is the first season since 2020 that our boys have gotten any type of quality coaching. This means that this years seniors basically came into this season as sophomores, experience and coaching wise. NOT THE PLAYERS FAULT! Adult leadership let the boys down thus turning this program into a dumpster fire. I will there every Friday to root Belpre on in hopes that all the hard work that everyone has put in and will continue to put in will pay off on the scoreboard and with a win or 2 this year. Yes, I believe that is possible.

The cold fact is that sometimes due to injuries etc players are moved from 1 position to an other for the overall betterment of the team.

Hopefully, Belpre will be at home next week so the seniors can get at least 2 home games in this year. The folks at Parkersburg are good hosts but nobody wants to play their entire season, especially their senior season, on the road.

I hope that our AD and head coach will be working on a schedule for next year that is more suited to rebuilding the program. At last count we had 15 players on the jr high squad. This is a start as jr high football for Belpre has been an off and on thing for several seasons. JR high football is our feeder system to a successful program turn around. It will take a couple of years to get there.

As always...

LETS GO EAGLES!

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

According to my records, here is the complete list of our head football coaches records etc thru last season by chronological order.

Name Years W L T PCT.
Paul Wiley 1950 1 4 3 1 .571
Al Lilley 1951-60 10 48 37 6 .565
Ralph Holder 1961-94 34 217 113 10 .665
Ken Cox 1995-99 5 16 34 0 .320
Jon Bolen 2000-03 4 22 18 0 .550
Bill Cieslewski 2004-06 3 10 20 0 .333
Curt Shriver 2007-09 3 10 21 0 .323
Greg Adams 2010-17 8 34 48 0 .415
Mike DeVol 2018-19 2 11 9 0 .550
Lance Binegar 2020 1 3 5 0 .375
Jimmie Bell 2021-22 2 2 17 0 .105

I didn't come out spaced the way I typed it, sorry.

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

Buckeye2021 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:53 am
Steely Dan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:28 am About the game. Regardless of where it is played, Waterford wins by a comfortable margin. Not from Belpre, but just a HS football fan. I've watched all this drama over the last three years with the school board, superintendent, Athletic Directors, and the former regime charged with leading the football program and this is just a sad state of affairs. Based on the two prior posts above, it doesn't sound like anything is improving. Yea, I know, the last one is a daddy post, and you've got to take those with a grain of salt. I guess all I can say is that this ongoing pattern of failure is the result of many, but ultimately, it falls to the decision makers who seem to be making things worse, instead of better.

Not sure what happened with devol as coach but the 2 years he was there belpre was competitive and seemed headed on the right path Did he retire I think he might be on caldwells staff
It was reported in the newspaper at the time that DeVol stepped down prior to the season due to health reasons.

Yes, he is listed this season an an asst coach for his old school Caldwell.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Waterford 26/00

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
mattash
Site Admin

Re: September 8, 2023 Belpre 6 - 47 Waterford

Post by mattash »

September 8, 2023 Belpre 6 - 47 Waterford

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
BJCassady
Freshman Team

Re: September 8, 2023 Belpre 6 - 47 Waterford

Post by BJCassady »

We played much better in the 1st half than in the 2nd.
A few of the boys were playing different positions from where they started the year at and I thought they played good and it helped us to be a better team.

2 boys, Bass, who started at TE/WR was moved to interior offensive lineman and he was a big plus in his new position. Starcher, who was QB, RB etc also started at offensive line and played well there but in the 2nd quarter he was moved to RB, due to an injury maybe don't know, but he ran hard as the RB. I'm sure there were some other moves but even though we struggled at times in the 1st half I thought we looked good on the offensive side of the ball. On defensive side, we play hard but lack of good solid coaching the past 2 years has hurt us. All we can do is work hard at improving ourselves game by game and the boys are doing that very thing.

So happy to see them score late in the 4th. Yes, it was against Waterforfds 3rd string but this is where we are at right now but getting better. The scoring play was a thing of beauty to watch, nice moving pocket, QB rolled to his left and delivered a slightly high throw to the receiver on a slat in route who made a jumping catch. Everything worked and really, our play execution is what holds us back on both sides of the ball.

We are slowly getting better.

Congrats to our players on a hard fought game.

Another tough game next week vs Caldwell. Build on our successes.

As always...

LETS GO EAGLES!

Return to “Football”