The BIG STAGE is KRYPTONITE for Fighting Tigers

Ronnie Raygun
Waterboy

Re: The BIG STAGE is KRYPTONITE for Fighting Tigers

Post by Ronnie Raygun »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:39 am You can twist the enrollment #’s all you want but with the number of transfers Ironton has they don’t have a D5 enrollment for Football (more like D3), and if they weren’t very creative in their use of apartments and housing their CB Numbers would represent that.

Fact is when Ironton plays teams of equal or better talent they loose and usually loose bad. Turnovers, penalties, and mistakes are examples of lack of discipline and coaching.
You don't make it to three state titles on just talent. It takes talent but it take many things, coaching included. If I remember correctly, the great Bob Lutz lost in 6 state titles and won only 2. You have to get there to be in a position to win it. Pendleton will win it someday.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Paulcrew wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:05 am Games are won and lost on the line of scrimmage. All the “big games” mentioned here, were lost on the line of scrimmage. Ironton may have had more talent in most of those games at “skilled” positions but not on the Line of scrimmage. If you go
back to I great Ironton teams of the past, 78, 81,82,88,89, etc.. they were great and very deep on both sides of the line of scrimmage.
Midland dominated up front. That’s why they won the game. IMO, Ironton was fortunate to score.
That being said, below Columbus, Irontons program is dominant. If the Fighting Tigers are ever going to win another State Title, they will need to get back to where the front 7 dominates the line of scrimmage.
True about the line of scrimmage. Burg 2017 team didn’t dominate on the OL, but their DL was a beast.

My question is why? It’s not as if SEO hasn’t produced talented linemen.

Ronnie Raygun
Waterboy

Post by Ronnie Raygun »

The only "kryptonite" for the Tigers Saturday night was the front seven of Midland. Them guys dominated the game. You can have the best skilled players in the world but when you get dominated at the line of scrimmage your toast in football.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:12 am
RBH23 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:45 am
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:13 pm

Thats fair but 2 things.

1. At some point Ironton has to win these big marquee matchups on big stages with big hype or the story becomes = Ironton folds when the lights are brightest.

2..prior to game our fanbase called it a win by a comfortable margin and said Ohio is superior. Then in postgame comments its all about " but look at midlands enrollment."

I just wanna know which narrative are we gonna be consistent with? Smh
Thinking IHS was going to walk over CM was silly. West Virginia football may not be at the same level of Ohio football, but WV does produce some really good/great athletes. Plus, CM is still a very large school with such athletes.

As for Ironton folding, they are still on path to play for and even win the region. But you are right that they need to play better to win the biggest games/state. Three fumbles against the best in Ohio D5 will turn into a blowout loss.
Lol.sidenote: my fam who live in Cleveland have ALWAYS told me that Ironton isn't really Ohio its really just Kentucky north and not to worry myself about things like seo football cause were not good at it. Lol. Azzholes lol

Before anyone asks they are St Eds alumn. Smh lol

Speaking of that.👀

A high school football team in Ohio has the biggest offensive line in the country and it’s not even close. St. Edward High School’s front five is made up of five giants. Almost to the point that it’s unfair.
https://brobible.com/sports/article/st- ... ht-weight/
LOL!! Heard the same when I lived in Canton.

In Cincy, we refer to Cleveland as “the mistake on the lake.” :)

Ronnie Raygun
Waterboy

Post by Ronnie Raygun »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:39 am You can twist the enrollment #’s all you want but with the number of transfers Ironton has they don’t have a D5 enrollment for Football (more like D3), and if they weren’t very creative in their use of apartments and housing their CB Numbers would represent that.

Fact is when Ironton plays teams of equal or better talent they loose and usually loose bad. Turnovers, penalties, and mistakes are examples of lack of discipline and coaching.
Bad coaches do not make it to 3 state championship appearances, and great talent alone won't get you there. If that were the case, Glenville would have been in the D1 state championship every year between 2000 and 2010

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:57 pm
Paulcrew wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:05 am Games are won and lost on the line of scrimmage. All the “big games” mentioned here, were lost on the line of scrimmage. Ironton may have had more talent in most of those games at “skilled” positions but not on the Line of scrimmage. If you go
back to I great Ironton teams of the past, 78, 81,82,88,89, etc.. they were great and very deep on both sides of the line of scrimmage.
Midland dominated up front. That’s why they won the game. IMO, Ironton was fortunate to score.
That being said, below Columbus, Irontons program is dominant. If the Fighting Tigers are ever going to win another State Title, they will need to get back to where the front 7 dominates the line of scrimmage.
True about the line of scrimmage. Burg 2017 team didn’t dominate on the OL, but their DL was a beast.

Very valid question. I think the way their technique is taught and discipline. Watching Ironton or many other local area schools, we can say with certainty that the number 1 and number 2 penalties thrown in a game are: false starts and holding. Holding can be called quite a bit in any given game in any area. However, I think that it boils down to overall discipline. You watch the Coldwaters and Marion Locals and Kirtlands of the world and what’s the one thing that they never do or very rarely do? They don’t start in the hole (1st and 15, etc.) and you rarely see them make holding mistakes. Some athleticism plays into it but I am in agreement with why don’t we have the same balance as other areas because we do produce good linemen as an area. I don’t know if there’s one definite answer or solution for it other than proper technique and discipline.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

If you consider the big stage as being the state championship game you have a valid point. Look at all of the teams the Fighting Tigers beat to get to the championship game, do you consider those games as not being on the big stage? Sounds like it if you are considering the Cabel Midland game as being the “big stage” lol.

Calvin
Freshman Team

Post by Calvin »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:48 pm If you consider the big stage as being the state championship game you have a valid point. Look at all of the teams the Fighting Tigers beat to get to the championship game, do you consider those games as not being on the big stage? Sounds like it if you are considering the Cabel Midland game as being the “big stage” lol.
With doubters and detractors it’s only the “big stage” when they lose. That way they can always be “right” about them never winning the big games.

Celebrating wins over the most hated.
BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Calvin wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:27 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:48 pm If you consider the big stage as being the state championship game you have a valid point. Look at all of the teams the Fighting Tigers beat to get to the championship game, do you consider those games as not being on the big stage? Sounds like it if you are considering the Cabel Midland game as being the “big stage” lol.
With doubters and detractors it’s only the “big stage” when they lose. That way they can always be “right” about them never winning the big games.
I'm a lifelong Ironton supporter and I called the losses on the big stage losses on the big stage.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:02 pm

Thinking IHS was going to walk over CM was silly. West Virginia football may not be at the same level of Ohio football, but WV does produce some really good/great athletes. Plus, CM is still a very large school with such athletes.

As for Ironton folding, they are still on path to play for and even win the region. But you are right that they need to play better to win the biggest games/state. Three fumbles against the best in Ohio D5 will turn into a blowout loss.
Lol.sidenote: my fam who live in Cleveland have ALWAYS told me that Ironton isn't really Ohio its really just Kentucky north and not to worry myself about things like seo football cause were not good at it. Lol. Azzholes lol

Speaking of that.👀

A high school football team in Ohio has the biggest offensive line in the country and it’s not even close. St. Edward High School’s front five is made up of five giants. Almost to the point that it’s unfair.
LOL!! Heard the same when I lived in Canton.

In Cincy, we refer to Cleveland as “the mistake on the lake.” :)
Texts were insufferable this past sunday lol

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Vs Midland at Marshall Univ, a top 5 big school wv conf team loaded w D1 commits is the big stage.

A 1st or 2nd rnd playoff game vs Wellston. Not so much. School of the blind.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Honest opinion & this is gonna get a lil deep. NEO folks are "healthier" than SEO folks on average. More active lifestyles imo. Also more financial stability eg: being healthy is expensive. Look at a Ironton or burg crowd then go look at a say Moeller crowd? ( not neo but still a good example) Wanna guess which crowd is more overweight and disabled? Maybe its not ALL - But i dont think its a reach to suggest sociological "lifestylsle/condition" is at least a factor.
How much of a factor, hard to tell. But.. I think it IS a factor.

Unfortunately.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:45 pm

Honest opinion & this is gonna get a lil deep. NEO folks are "healthier" than SEO folks on average. More active lifestyles imo. Also more financial stability eg: being healthy is expensive. Look at a Ironton or burg crowd then go look at a say Moeller crowd? ( not neo but still a good example) Wanna guess which crowd is more overweight and disabled? Maybe its not ALL - But i dont think its a reach to suggest sociological "lifestylsle/condition" is at least a factor.
How much of a factor, hard to tell. But.. I think it IS a factor.

Unfortunately.
You could be right.

Kirtland’s median household income is over $90k. MAC area is blue collar but really good blue collar paying jobs. Liberty is just north of Columbus…

However, Germantown (VV) is kind of a dump. It’s economic situation is probably about the same as Burg and Ironton.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

I guess my question is why.. kids are going to
Ironton to play for a guy, who obviously can’t get the job done. I mean, don’t these kids parents read SEOPreps? Why in the world would these kids leave their home districts, that are obviously getting the job done, to play at Ironton?

Back to topic.. Ironton is not very athletic on the line of scrimmage. They can get away with that playing Burg and OVC teams. However, Kirtland is very athletic on the line of scrimmage. When/if Ironton ever focuses on getting more athletic up front, you may get the answer to
your question

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

Paulcrew wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:37 pm

Ironton to play for a guy, who obviously can’t get the job done. I mean, don’t these kids parents read SEOPreps? Why in the world would these kids leave their home districts, that are obviously getting the job done, to play at Ironton?

Back to topic.. Ironton is not very athletic on the line of scrimmage. They can get away with that playing Burg and OVC teams. However, Kirtland is very athletic on the line of scrimmage. When/if Ironton ever focuses on getting more athletic up front, you may get the answer to
your question
Lot of truth here and the health and standard of living theory. I don’t remember which but I recently read a post on here from a fan of a team that was struggling at the offensive line positions. He listed a bunch of 5-10 to 6 foot offensive linemen with weights north of 280. Some kids that size can move fairly well but it’s rare. I’d rather face an obese kid who will be gassed by the end of the first quarter and can barely move than a conditioned 6 foot kid that weighs 190-200 lbs and can move quickly in tight spaces. Kirtland only had one lineman north of 200 lbs the first time Ironton faced them. They’re conditioned, strong for their size and can go hard for four quarters and on defense they’re just quicker to the ball.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

your question
My “why” referred to all of SEO, not just Ironton. My question was not a dig at IHS.

So back to the question as to why Burg and IHS can’t compete against these schools…

Kirtland and the MAC schools are not pumping out a bunch of OL/DL college football scholarship kids. Also, Kirtland and ML had never won state titles until their current coaches took over. Coldwater has only won under two coaches. Coldwater and ML didn’t become powers until 2000, Kirtland in 2011.

So what magic elixir do these coaches from Coldwater, Kirtland and ML have that others do not? How do these coaches do so well along the lines even though they produce fewer college OL/DL athletes than IHS or Burg? And, more importantly, how did these coaches turn irrelevant programs into powerhouses?

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:58 pm

your question
My “why” referred to all of SEO, not just Ironton. My question was not a dig at IHS.

So back to the question as to why Burg and IHS can’t compete against these schools…

Kirtland and the MAC schools are not pumping out a bunch of OL/DL college football scholarship kids. Also, Kirtland and ML had never won state titles until their current coaches took over. Coldwater has only won under two coaches. Coldwater and ML didn’t become powers until 2000, Kirtland in 2011.

So what magic elixir do these coaches from Coldwater, Kirtland and ML have that others do not? How do these coaches do so well along the lines even though they produce fewer college OL/DL athletes than IHS or Burg? And, more importantly, how did these coaches turn irrelevant programs into powerhouses?
They create a system and have a template for success. I watched Marion Local and Coldwater in 2019 at Maria Stein. It’s very simple: 2 parent homes, low crime rates, low drug rates, and expectation. They are NOT hopeful to win a state championship. They expect it. When kids are up working at 4 A.M. on a farm, then weight lift, then go to school, there’s an expectation to perform well at a level of consistency that’s unparalleled in the United States. They’re also balanced from a spiritual standpoint. Every one of their athletes are in church on Sunday, too. It’s a community effort. The community supports them. Their split the pot that year was $9,500. The lady next to us said, “that’s the lowest it’s been in years.” When they come to the game to expect excellence in every facet, it’s no surprise to see why they are great. Marion Local had 90 boys in high school that year and 88 of them was on the football team. The other 2? They ran cross country and won state. 😳😳😳

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:13 pm

Thats fair but 2 things.

1. At some point Ironton has to win these big marquee matchups on big stages with big hype or the story becomes = Ironton folds when the lights are brightest.

2..prior to game our fanbase called it a win by a comfortable margin and said Ohio is superior. Then in postgame comments its all about " but look at midlands enrollment."

I just wanna know which narrative are we gonna be consistent with? Smh

Speaking of that.👀

They're sending the twins to the school in Columbus and the other tackle to THE University of Michigan. St. Ed would hang with any program in the country this year. Not saying they'd be favored, especially against the likes of Duncanville, St. John Bosco, IMG, Mater Dei; but they'd give those teams a lot of trouble just because of how big they are up front.

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:48 pm
RBH23 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:08 pm
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:42 pm

The reason Ironton lost to "D1" Midland is the same reasons Ironton lost to D5 Kirtland or D5 South Range. Midland didnt have a massive talent advantage. Midland outplayed Ironton. So did Kirtland twice. So.did South Range. Enrollment played very little role. Ironton lost em all for the same reasons..
Kirtland and South Range won because those teams were well coached, had excellent game plans, executed said game plans, and made no mistakes. While Ironton made lots of mistakes, and, in the case of Kirtland, didn’t seem to have any game plan. In these games, Ironton was by far the more talented team as well.

Midland, on the other hand, did not execute extremely well nor did they avoid making mistakes. They had the same number of penalties as Ironton (6 each) and the same number of lost fumbles (3 each). Midland just had more talent and depth to overcome their mistakes. If Kirtland coach was in leading Midland, this game would have been over by halftime.

Although I agree that IHS repeated many of the same mistakes, they actually lost for different reasons.

Ironton got beat because they got BULLIED at the line of scrimmage. Same way they got big boyed at the line of scrimmage vs Kirtland and South Range. ..

Bullied
You Say your a Ironton fan but it don't sound like it because you are always smack talking them like they are 2nd class citizens saying they can't beat this team or that team and saying that every school and person in northern Ohio is above or more superior than Ironton and all other Southeastern Ohio teams and the people from southern Ohio.

Go Ironton Fighting Tigers, GoTexas Longhorns
IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

Super trooper wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:35 am Everyone speaking facts and ironton people hate to hear it
Salty Much

Go Ironton Fighting Tigers, GoTexas Longhorns

Return to “Football”