Re: September 29, 2023 Valley - Portsmouth West

Post by packers80 »

Senators

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
purplegold
Riding the Bench

Post by purplegold »

Love that the Indians got their first win of the season last week, but West will be too much. The offense is really struggling to find any consistency. Not sure what the answer is, but something needs fixed in that department. Have liked what I saw from the defense though.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

West is 39-12 all time vs Valley.
West is the real deal.
SOC2 will be decided week 10 unless Burg slips up and loses to a very good Waverly team.

It was very nice seeing Valley getting in the win column last week.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

Why did Valley and West quit playing in the early 2000's?

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

West has been outstanding this year. They, West Muskingum and Columbus Africentric have probably been the teams who have most exceeded expectations in R19.

A lot of West's improvement has been from guys going out and finding ways to make plays. Last year, and this isn't meant to offend anybody because West was good last year too, but I think guys kind of waited for Sissel to lead and make the plays, and then they would follow.

Him not being there has forced the guys returning this year to step up and make plays being leaders themselves this year, and as a result I actually think West is a more complete team than they were last year, especially on defense. I think the coaching staff has done a great job motivating the guys in this aspect. While Bishop and Parker have had massive years, it seems like it is a different guy every week that steps up and makes plays offensively and defensively when it is needed. They've even had injuries to a couple of key starters who would really make a difference and have rolled right along.

Senators will be a tough out for anybody. In future years, I'd really like to see West make a couple of adjustments to its nonconference schedule. I think Fairland and Hillsboro are good nonconference matchups, but adding Raceland back to the schedule and/or having Ironton on the schedule would be a great draw whether it was home or away. Really good support and a great future for this West program in place.

Valley did an outstanding job just finding a way to win. Interestingly enough, the game against Northwest was a lot like Waverly-West back in the middle of the month, where Valley struggled to move the ball like West did but just played tremendous defensively. Only differences are that West and Waverly have certainly proven to be more explosive offensively so you had the big play ability there.

Two of the bright young coaching minds in the game; this will be a fun matchup in future years I do believe.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Valley is playing hard....

5 mins left 2nd..

West 14
Valley 0

Indians had the ball inside the 20 came away empty.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Indians with a bit of a meltdown...a pick and PI and its 28-0 approaching half.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

I tuned in tonight and am glad I did. West has some returning play makers with experience, they are a few seconds from a perfect record. I really believe West has a couple of the best players in the league and coupled with the rest of the Siders they have a strong at the Gold Ball. Valley plays youth the numbers require it, I like the demeanor of the young men I watched tonight and I tip my hat to their effort they are stepping up and will be better for it.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: September 29, 2023 Valley 7 - 41 Portsmouth West

Post by mattash »

September 29, 2023 Valley 7 - 41 Portsmouth West

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Another good win. Don’t like to look ahead too much but between northwest and possibly not playing oak hill, on a collision course for another week 10 title showdown. 4 seconds away from a perfect record. This team is the real deal and has been wildly under talked about and slept on all while being defending champs.

Absolutely impressed with valleys efforts. McNeil runs very hard and I seen great effort across the board all night. As noted by another post, body language says a lot about the integrity of kids and I think the kids showed a lot of heart and guts tonight.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

SiderBlood wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:10 pm Another good win. Don’t like to look ahead too much but between northwest and possibly not playing oak hill, on a collision course for another week 10 title showdown. 4 seconds away from a perfect record. This team is the real deal and has been wildly under talked about and slept on all while being defending champs.

Absolutely impressed with valleys efforts. McNeil runs very hard and I seen great effort across the board all night. As noted by another post, body language says a lot about the integrity of kids and I think the kids showed a lot of heart and guts tonight.
Maybe you can confirm but I've heard rumors that West has found a replacement team for Oak Hill already

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:09 am
SiderBlood wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:10 pm Another good win. Don’t like to look ahead too much but between northwest and possibly not playing oak hill, on a collision course for another week 10 title showdown. 4 seconds away from a perfect record. This team is the real deal and has been wildly under talked about and slept on all while being defending champs.

Maybe you can confirm but I've heard rumors that West has found a replacement team for Oak Hill already
I have heard the same thing but no one can tell me who it is so I don’t know how true it is. I would rather play a tough team if possible the week before burg though.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

It is accurate that West does have a team lined up if Oak Hill were to cancel.

As to the specific team, I am not 100 percent certain on who it is, but I have a really good idea of who it will be if the cancellation does occur. The opponent I believe it will be is a nonconference opponent out of the area that West has played in the recent past.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

KCol wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:17 am It is accurate that West does have a team lined up if Oak Hill were to cancel.

As to the specific team, I am not 100 percent certain on who it is, but I have a really good idea of who it will be if the cancellation does occur. The opponent I believe it will be is a nonconference opponent out of the area that West has played in the recent past.
I would think it would almost be set, because I don't see how they could leave the other team in the dark for that long. So guessing they're headed to KY or WV then

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:10 pm
KCol wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:17 am It is accurate that West does have a team lined up if Oak Hill were to cancel.

I would think it would almost be set, because I don't see how they could leave the other team in the dark for that long. So guessing they're headed to KY or WV then
It’s a Southwestern Ohio school. They are in same predicament as West is.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

KCol wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:13 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:10 pm

It’s a Southwestern Ohio school. They are in same predicament as West is.
Gotcha ya, I never heard the team only they have it lined up. The OH game for West is at home so I don't see them playing it they said at the beginning of the season they wanted out and they didn't want to play this this or that team. Guessing only reason they played Waverly game was that it was at home and they were having a 150 year celebration going on with new uniforms paying respects to where OH as a village first started.

Return to “Football”