DV R19

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Re: DV R19

Post by CrackBack46 »

Close but I’ll take Ironton on Defensive Line considering they have a kid going to play d1 football there. He’s an absolute game changer at that position. No one close in the area.
wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:02 am I can only comment on what I have seen personally in the region and I think, Prep, Ironton, or Burg are the clear favorites but I have Burg slightly favored. Here's how I rank each team's positions, first through third. Honestly, all three have good players in these positions so these are who I think might be a touch better, based on depth or just how I think they look.

Offensive Line - Burg 1, Ironton 2, Prep 3 (Based on size and depth)
Defensive Line - Burg 1, Prep 2, Ironton 3 (Based on size and depth)
Offensive Running Back - Prep 1, Ironton 2, Burg 3 (prep is pretty much a running team)
Offensive QB - Ironton 1, Burg 2, Prep 3 (Ironton QB more seasoned, Burg QB getting there, Prep not good in this)
Wide Receivers - Ironton 1, Burg 2, Prep 3 (Burg has more depth but Ironton's #4 and #12 are very good in their offense)
Special Teams - Burg 1, Ironton 2, Prep 3 (Ironton has #4 consistent threat, even with Burg's soph having to kick, he can still kick 40yds. Prep not good)
LineBacker - Burg 1, Ironton 2, Prep 3 (Prep linebackers are really good, but I'll give the nod to Burg and Ironton because they play the position better)
Defensive Backfield - Ironton 1, Burg 2, Prep 3 (Strength of Ironton, is fast and tackles well in the open, burg and Prep are close because they have athletes back there)

Total ranking score (low score wins)

Burg 12
Ironton 15
Prep 21

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

CrackBack46 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:33 pm Close but I’ll take Ironton on Defensive Line considering they have a kid going to play d1 football there. He’s an absolute game changer at that position. No one close in the area.
wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:02 am I can only comment on what I have seen personally in the region and I think, Prep, Ironton, or Burg are the clear favorites but I have Burg slightly favored. Here's how I rank each team's positions, first through third. Honestly, all three have good players in these positions so these are who I think might be a touch better, based on depth or just how I think they look.

Offensive Running Back - Prep 1, Ironton 2, Burg 3 (prep is pretty much a running team)
Offensive QB - Ironton 1, Burg 2, Prep 3 (Ironton QB more seasoned, Burg QB getting there, Prep not good in this)
Wide Receivers - Ironton 1, Burg 2, Prep 3 (Burg has more depth but Ironton's #4 and #12 are very good in their offense)
Special Teams - Burg 1, Ironton 2, Prep 3 (Ironton has #4 consistent threat, even with Burg's soph having to kick, he can still kick 40yds. Prep not good)
LineBacker - Burg 1, Ironton 2, Prep 3 (Prep linebackers are really good, but I'll give the nod to Burg and Ironton because they play the position better)
Defensive Backfield - Ironton 1, Burg 2, Prep 3 (Strength of Ironton, is fast and tackles well in the open, burg and Prep are close because they have athletes back there)

Burg 12
Ironton 15
Prep 21
He is pretty good but he has to flip and play o line too. I took that into consideration. I’m sure they try to rest him when they can but that’s probably very little because there’s no one behind him. Burg rotates about 7 to 8 d lineman who are pretty good at the position

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

He does play both ways…
But either way we are blessed with some good football in our Region. Can’t wait to watch all these young men compete.

wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:38 pm
CrackBack46 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:33 pm Close but I’ll take Ironton on Defensive Line considering they have a kid going to play d1 football there. He’s an absolute game changer at that position. No one close in the area.

Burg 12
Ironton 15
Prep 21
He is pretty good but he has to flip and play o line too. I took that into consideration. I’m sure they try to rest him when they can but that’s probably very little because there’s no one behind him. Burg rotates about 7 to 8 d lineman who are pretty good at the position

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:56 pm
GoBigI wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:03 pm

Burg 12
Ironton 15
Prep 21
Ironton beat Burg game 1 but we know how that goes. Burg builds steam as the year progresses and Ironton doesn’t. This Ironton team reminds me of the 2021 Ironton team that Burg beat in the playoffs. They’re not near the level of 2022 or 2019. Burg will be a problem for Ironton if they meet again. That said, I see Prep at #3 a lot in your analysis. From what I’ve seen of both teams, Prep beats Burg 9 out of 10 times if they play this year.
If prep was a team that was more fundamental in all phases, they would be probably one of the top teams in the state in all divisions. It’s no secret they’ve recruited and loaded up on talent. Look at their CB. But They have a long way to go. Right now they rely heavily on their talent.
I agree that Prep relies heavily on talent as their coaching is sub-par. However, Prep has more talent than Burg or Ironton this year across the board. I don’t think Prep or Burg have anyone like Terry or Patterson at Ironton, but you need superior play from 9 others on each side of the ball. Prep will give you superior play with superior talent despite lackluster coaching. Last year’s Ironton team had too many weapons on both sides of the ball for Prep. Ironton nor Burg possess those weapons this year.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

TigerBob wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:03 pm Prep covering Perkins in man with no safety help repeatedly on 3rd and long was some wild stuff.
I wondered the entire game if the coach had it out for his own db…just let him keep getting burnt repeatedly…baffling

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Burg isn’t as good as the two top teams but definitely got the best draw. Ironton vs Harvest Prep should be a battle

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Irontons struggles the last 3 weeks are not nuanced issues.

They are fundamental issues that have carried over and remained with them throughout a 10 week regular season. ..

So in weeks 11, 12, 13, all these fundamental issues will.just be suddenly gone?

If the solutions were that seemless why was no correction implemented sometime during the first 10 weeks?

Thereddragin
Riding the Bench

Post by Thereddragin »

I believe Burg and Barnesville will be playing rd 3... I'm giving the edge to Burg, but don't sleep on Barnesville... much better team than last year... and I cannot stand Barnesville...

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Thereddragin wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:52 pm I believe Burg and Barnesville will be playing rd 3... I'm giving the edge to Burg, but don't sleep on Barnesville... much better team than last year... and I cannot stand Barnesville...
I thought they were coached well last year but they have not played a strong enough schedule.

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:37 pm Irontons struggles the last 3 weeks are not nuanced issues.

They are fundamental issues that have carried over and remained with them throughout a 10 week regular season. ..

So in weeks 11, 12, 13, all these fundamental issues will.just be suddenly gone?

If the solutions were that seemless why was no correction implemented sometime during the first 10 weeks?
I think you are on to something here, and it is something everyone tends to forget (I'm not just speaking about Ironton) - Teams have weaknesses - and that's okay - but to think that those weaknesses will mysteriously be coached up and done away with is a far fetched idea. I believe that teams can definitely improve, but for the most part - who you are week 10 is who you are in the playoffs.The only caveat I would put with this though, would be that we are dealing with 15-19 year old kids. Any given night you could get a different performance, based on emotions, social stuff, family stuff, etc.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

DcP3407 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:39 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:37 pm Irontons struggles the last 3 weeks are not nuanced issues.

I think you are on to something here, and it is something everyone tends to forget (I'm not just speaking about Ironton) - Teams have weaknesses - and that's okay - but to think that those weaknesses will mysteriously be coached up and done away with is a far fetched idea. I believe that teams can definitely improve, but for the most part - who you are week 10 is who you are in the playoffs.The only caveat I would put with this though, would be that we are dealing with 15-19 year old kids. Any given night you could get a different performance, based on emotions, social stuff, family stuff, etc.
Yup. Irontons issues are not anomalies. They are fundamental and have been consistent issues all season.
Poor ball exchange
No continuity at Center
Offensive line has poor run blocking
Offense cannot sustain long drives without self sabotaging and are forced to rely on the big plays which do not often occur vs the more stringent competition.
Defense can't get off the field on 3rd downs.
Defense is soft in the middle and gets gashed vs the run.
Defensive secondary loses their coverages and gives up Big plays to lesser competition.
Offensive playcalling is erratic and their is no rhythm or fluidity.

These issues didn't miraculously vanish because of a week 11 practice week. They've stayed with Ironton for 10 consecutive weeks.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

This region is I-towns to lose. Even if they continue to do the same things execution-wise and in the mental and disciplinary aspects of football, it's there's to lose. They have too much talent.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

IHS still has a lot of talented players. The favorite to win the region even with their issues.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:09 pm

IHS still has a lot of talented players. The favorite to win the region even with their issues.
HP is the favorite

Burg grad 85
Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Likely but that's because the region is weaker top to bottom than a couple of the other d5 regions in my opinion.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:31 pm

Likely but that's because the region is weaker top to bottom than a couple of the other d5 regions in my opinion.
True. I highly doubt the D5 state champ is coming out of region 19.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:20 pm

Here's how I grade out Ironton. What if they were in region 18 right now? Or region 17? I've observed a team rn that isn't as dominant as they look on paper. Fundamental issues haven't progressed like you expect them to. They showed gradual improvement early in the season but since then they have gradually regressed into where they have been the past month. The team is not as fluid or confident as the last few seasons nor are they as far along and prepared in my opinion based on the product they have put on the field. I have I think fair concern for how deep my Tigers can advance right now.

They do have the talent if they do the right things. But there's just no consistent indication of a high probability of Ironton correcting issues in one week they haven't been able to correct in 10 weeks. Respectfully, I have them listed, much like I have Burg listed right now. Big question marks. In my opinion both are similarly unproven this season.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:03 pm

Here's how I grade out Ironton. What if they were in region 18 right now? Or region 17? I've observed a team rn that isn't as dominant as they look on paper. Fundamental issues haven't progressed like you expect them to. They showed gradual improvement early in the season but since then they have gradually regressed into where they have been the past month. The team is not as fluid or confident as the last few seasons nor are they as far along and prepared in my opinion based on the product they have put on the field. I have I think fair concern for how deep my Tigers can advance right now.

They do have the talent if they do the right things. But there's just no consistent indication of a high probability of Ironton correcting issues in one week they haven't been able to correct in 10 weeks. Respectfully, I have them listed, much like I have Burg listed right now. Big question marks. In my opinion both are similarly unproven this season.

Part of the reason for the lack of offensive fluidity or consistency or any rhythm is playcalling. The other is discipline. Both need to improve. Ironton leans a bit too much on athleticism because it drives their success locally however when we go North, we get out techniqued and outskilled and the discipline and emphasis on technique beats Irontons more isolated emphasis on athleticism. So there's also some changes in philosophy that need to probably happen as this current staff becomes more experienced.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:12 pm

Part of the reason for the lack of offensive fluidity or consistency or any rhythm is playcalling. The other is discipline. Both need to improve. Ironton leans a bit too much on athleticism because it drives their success locally however when we go North, we get out techniqued and outskilled and the discipline and emphasis on technique beats Irontons more isolated emphasis on athleticism. So there's also some changes in philosophy that need to probably happen as this current staff becomes more experienced.
Harvest Prep is loaded with athletes.
Marion Local is the superior program.

Philosophy. They out play you.

Ironton does a great job of preparing physically and developing the best athletes in their division. But the reason they fall just shy of a State title is philosophy. The culture developed is one where we now expect to lose against northeast Ohio. Ironton gets beat and not just beat but HUMBLED by Kirtland and South Range because Ironton got out skilled and out techniqued. Those teams had better discipline. Those kids had better exceution as a team. And they limited their mistakes and didn't rely on plays to win. They relied on how they executed the plays they like for themselves in order to win. They were more deliberate on the field. More physical. And more confident. They didn't rely on having the fastest guy but more on being the more fundamentally sound and disciplined and confident team that day.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:23 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:12 pm

Harvest Prep is loaded with athletes.
Marion Local is the superior program.

Philosophy. They out play you.

Ironton does a great job of preparing physically and developing the best athletes in their division. But the reason they fall just shy of a State title is philosophy. The culture developed is one where we now expect to lose against northeast Ohio. Ironton gets beat and not just beat but HUMBLED by Kirtland and South Range because Ironton got out skilled and out techniqued. Those teams had better discipline. Those kids had better exceution as a team. And they limited their mistakes and didn't rely on plays to win. They relied on how they executed the plays they like for themselves in order to win. They were more deliberate on the field. More physical. And more confident. They didn't rely on having the fastest guy but more on being the more fundamentally sound and disciplined and confident team that day.
And not so ironically what are Irontons struggles the past 3 weeks may as well say month. ..

Technique. Fundamentals. Discipline. is what it basically all falls back to. And how I view it is this. The last couple years Ironton had these issues but they were able to do more despite them because of how talented they were.

This season they are not as talented or as experienced BUT these issues are as pronounced as they have been the last 3 seasons this late into a season.

And that's where they are until we see what product takes the field tomm night.

Return to “Football”