Do SEO kids have a hard time adjusting in D1 P5 locker rooms once they begin the collegiate journey?

BigSpoon
JV Team

Re: Do SEO kids have a hard time adjusting in D1 P5 locker rooms once they begin the collegiate journey?

Post by BigSpoon »

BigSpoon wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:54 am There is always someone bigger, stronger and faster, esp with the transfer portal. I think it hurt Reid when Al Washington left ohio state and they hired a new defensive coordinator. He is the one who recruited Reid. He’s still getting a free scholarship and doing what he loves. Reid could have went anywhere and he picked ohio state. What a dream come true for him.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Re: Do SEO kids have a hard time adjusting in D1 P5 locker rooms once they begin the collegiate journey?

Post by artisgilmore »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:05 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:19 pm
gobucs20 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:02 pm I think Reid has the ability to start at ohio state. The issue is you have to find a way to get noticed early in you're career or you get lost in the shuffle. Everyone at ohio state was a superstar at their respective high schools. In the current system ran by Jim Knowles they only play two linebackers and until recently he refused to substitute even in blowout situations. Even to the point that the two starters were so banged up they didn't participate in spring ball.
Yup. And therein is my intrigue. Reid is a great kid and a great athlete and student BUT he seems like he doesn't fit the culture. He's quiet. And polite and kinda I don't wanna say soft cause he's not.. but he doesn't have the same go get it mentality that the south Florida or Houston kids come in with for example. Those kids are DAWGS. Even McCord has that Philly edge in him.

Reid is sorta a gomer. Idk if he fits.
Those d1p5 locker rooms are made for DAWGS.

Mcord for example = philly breeds a different level of hunger and ambition that seo simply doesn't.

Is it a disadvantage?
You are comparing SEO to Miami, Houston, and Philly??

Let’s do the math on metro populations…
- Philadelphia: 6.2 million
- Houston: 7.1 million
- Miami: 6.0 million
- Ironton: 288,000

Those areas are over 20x larger than the Ironton metro area. They are going to produce better athletes, and a lot of them simply based on population. Using your words “more dawgs.”

Given the population of SEO, the area does an amazing job producing athletes. Plenty of “Dawgs” given how sparsely populated.

Btw, not getting on the field at OSU happens to really talented players and athletes all the time. Just ask Joe Burrow.
100% correct :)

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

gobucs20 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:02 pm I think Reid has the ability to start at ohio state. The issue is you have to find a way to get noticed early in you're career or you get lost in the shuffle. Everyone at ohio state was a superstar at their respective high schools. In the current system ran by Jim Knowles they only play two linebackers and until recently he refused to substitute even in blowout situations. Even to the point that the two starters were so banged up they didn't participate in spring ball.
Yup. And therein is my intrigue. Reid is a great kid and a great athlete and student BUT he seems like he doesn't fit the culture. He's quiet. And polite and kinda I don't wanna say soft cause he's not.. but he doesn't have the same go get it mentality that the south Florida or Houston kids come in with for example. Those kids are DAWGS. Even McCord has that Philly edge in him.

Mcord for example = philly breeds a different level of hunger and ambition that seo simply doesn't.

Is it a disadvantage?

Those areas are over 20x larger than the Ironton metro area. They are going to produce better athletes, and a lot of them simply based on population. Using your words “more dawgs.”

Given the population of SEO, the area does an amazing job producing athletes. Plenty of “Dawgs” given how sparsely populated.

Btw, not getting on the field at OSU happens to really talented players and athletes all the time. Just ask Joe Burrow.
It's not about population.
It's culture.

Mccords a good example. Philly kids have more of an edge than seo kids. So do south Florida kids. And Dallas kids. And Columbus kids. Etc etc. There's more of an edge and a killer instinct. The seo guys are sorta backward and shy and not soft.. but soft. It's not population. It's culture.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

artisgilmore wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:04 am

Is it a disadvantage?

Joe had ambition. Went to LSU. Joe also left behind the old seo ways and adapted to a new culture and mindset. Once he got to Baton Rouge the influence of bland seo was out the door forever let's be honest. ( and the food in Louisiana was also better lol )

Joe did it at this level.

However Joe is one guy.
Pleasant from Coal Grove is one guy.
Every once in a long while MAYBE for seo.
They are not built like those south Florida kids or Texas kids or Georgia kids on average. Not even built like the NE Ohio kids on average.

It's not population. It's culture.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Local athletes have a tough time adjusting to any level of college athletics. I think they vastly underestimate the amount of time and work that it takes to be a collegiate athlete

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:59 am

Is it a disadvantage?

It's not about population.
It's culture.

Mccords a good example. Philly kids have more of an edge than seo kids. So do south Florida kids. And Dallas kids. And Columbus kids. Etc etc. There's more of an edge and a killer instinct. The seo guys are sorta backward and shy and not soft.. but soft. It's not population. It's culture.
It most certainly is about population. Not everyone that comes out of these cities have an edge and killer instinct; I know this from experience. But given the numbers, the odds of producing those with an edge and killer instinct are far higher.

Culture does matter, but not when comparing large cities to Ironton metro area. Just not a fair comparison.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:04 pm

Joe had ambition. Went to LSU. Joe also left behind the old seo ways and adapted to a new culture and mindset. Once he got to Baton Rouge the influence of bland seo was out the door forever let's be honest. ( and the food in Louisiana was also better lol )

However Joe is one guy.
They are not built like those south Florida kids or Texas kids or Georgia kids on average. Not even built like the NE Ohio kids on average.

If Joe stayed at OSU, he’s not in the NFL today. Was that because he didn’t have the edge and killer instinct? No. It just wasn’t the right fit, so he moved on and found the opportunity for him.

Has nothing to do with LSU having an NFL mindset that is lacking at OSU.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

I think a lot has to do with this. And I’m not trying to knock anyone or any schools from our area. Most of SEO schools do well in our area of the state when the level of competition, skill levels of players, etc isn’t as high as say the northern half of the state. Playing against quality opponents either makes you strive to improve or you chalk it up as not being good enough, etc. Again, not dogging anyone or any schools. But in order to be the best, you have to beat the best.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:48 pm

However Joe is one guy.

If Joe stayed at OSU, he’s not in the NFL today. Was that because he didn’t have the edge and killer instinct? No. It just wasn’t the right fit, so he moved on and found the opportunity for him.

No that's not what I'm saying either. I think the seo kids by and large are somewhat disconnected from what the d1p5 lifestyle and demands entail, and I think kids from these other areas I mentioned are already numerous steps ahead for a multitude of reasons. Just in culture, approach, and preparation. The instinct required to acclimate to d1p5 is more familiar for them because they are much more familiar to what is required.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

RollCoal wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:46 am I think a lot has to do with this. And I’m not trying to knock anyone or any schools from our area. Most of SEO schools do well in our area of the state when the level of competition, skill levels of players, etc isn’t as high as say the northern half of the state. Playing against quality opponents either makes you strive to improve or you chalk it up as not being good enough, etc. Again, not dogging anyone or any schools. But in order to be the best, you have to beat the best.
Well said. You kinda made my point better than I did. I just don't think the seo kids are familiar at all whereas the south Florida kids play with and against d1p5 level talent routinely all season, every season, for example.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

A big part of being noticed is being unapologetically aggressive in promoting yourself. You gotta be a go getter. Can't be shy.. I don't think seo kids on average are conditioned to do that in d1p5 position rooms in the same way a kid from say south Florida or Texas is because the seo kid isn't familiar with being in a position room with that level of comp. It takes a cutthroat gene to be noticed. Can't be a nice guy. Gotta be a DAWG.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:36 pm

However Joe is one guy.

No that's not what I'm saying either. I think the seo kids by and large are somewhat disconnected from what the d1p5 lifestyle and demands entail, and I think kids from these other areas I mentioned are already numerous steps ahead for a multitude of reasons. Just in culture, approach, and preparation. The instinct required to acclimate to d1p5 is more familiar for them because they are much more familiar to what is required.
This applies to all rural and small town areas throughout the country since most don’t produce any d1p5 athletes. The MAC teams and Kirtland players must have zero edge and killer instinct.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:21 pm

This applies to all rural and small town areas throughout the country since most don’t produce any d1p5 athletes. The MAC teams and Kirtland players must have zero edge and killer instinct.
No it's not fair to say they or anybody has none. That was never asserted at all. On anyone. You taking it a Lil too personal I guess. You could say the Mac schools seem to consistently have more edge and instinct than the seo kids and that's a practical and mostly true statement. Just like I can say and when those Mac kids get to college, the south Florida kids have more edge than they do.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:16 pm

No it's not fair to say they or anybody has none. That was never asserted at all. On anyone. You taking it a Lil too personal I guess. You could say the Mac schools seem to consistently have more edge and instinct than the seo kids and that's a practical and mostly true statement. Just like I can say and when those Mac kids get to college, the south Florida kids have more edge than they do.
I'm not slighting anyone. I'm wondering out loud, what gaps are the most pronounced for the seo kids when they do enter a D1P5 program. Do the seo kids have any advantages as well? How does it process for them vs these other kids?

What is the disparity in talent and ability between a 3, 4, or 5 star recruit from SEO and a recruit also rated 3 4 or 5, from Dallas Texas? ( for example) How does that play out in a position room?

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:21 pm

I'm not slighting anyone. I'm wondering out loud, what gaps are the most pronounced for the seo kids when they do enter a D1P5 program. Do the seo kids have any advantages as well? How does it process for them vs these other kids?

What is the disparity in talent and ability between a 3, 4, or 5 star recruit from SEO and a recruit also rated 3 4 or 5, from Dallas Texas? ( for example) How does that play out in a position room?
Not taking it personal. Just think comparing SEO to big cities is an unfair comparison. Just basic statistics dictate the bigger cities will produce far more successful college athletes. Simply numbers.

SEO just doesn’t produce as many 3-5 star athletes as Houston does for example. So Houston produces far more players that succeed, and far more that fail. We notice the ones from SEO that don’t succeed since so few even make it to a p5 school. And the reason? Population.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:11 pm

Not taking it personal. Just think comparing SEO to big cities is an unfair comparison. Just basic statistics dictate the bigger cities will produce far more successful college athletes. Simply numbers.

SEO just doesn’t produce as many 3-5 star athletes as Houston does for example. So Houston produces far more players that succeed, and far more that fail. We notice the ones from SEO that don’t succeed since so few even make it to a p5 school. And the reason? Population.
I think we're working from the same logic. Those Texas kids for example are in a much deeper talent pool so they are more familiar with competing at that level for a position.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:38 pm

I think we're working from the same logic. Those Texas kids for example are in a much deeper talent pool so they are more familiar with competing at that level for a position.
The talent pool is way deeper. Why? Simply more kids.

Playing against that competition is part of it, but it’s mostly about numbers. Plenty of kids in SEO have done well in major p5 football. Also, the SEO area is simply not a big football area. More success in baseball over the decades.

But what’s killing the area in general is population decline, especially Portsmouth. Hard to imagine, but the Portsmouth area put out a disproportionate number of great athletes in the late 60’s early/mid 70’s: Chuck Ealey, Al Oliver, Don Gullet, Larry Hisle, Gene Tenace. Hard to fathom that four MLB players in the 70’s were from the Portsmouth area. Doesn’t include Johnnie Lemaster who was born in Portsmouth and played during the 70’s as well.

RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RJShifko »

This is a great question and a fair question. I was fortunate I was recruited and played college football. I did not play D1 unfortunately but over the seasons that I did play in college I think the adjustment from being one of the best in the area to being just a guy was a mental transition way more than physical. I feel that kids from SEO the majority worked hard and earned the opportunity to play. We had competed against kids from all over the state and of course at the college level many kids over the county it wasn’t the competition or the speed to me it was all mental. I felt the ability to work hard and compete was never a disadvantage from being from SEO being surrounded by other athletes with similar ability and skill set and it’s not just our working them is a different animal. The fact that everyone is good at that level and being mentally ready every day for your moment to change the course of your career was way harder

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

RBH23 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:49 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:38 pm

The talent pool is way deeper. Why? Simply more kids.

Playing against that competition is part of it, but it’s mostly about numbers. Plenty of kids in SEO have done well in major p5 football. Also, the SEO area is simply not a big football area. More success in baseball over the decades.

But what’s killing the area in general is population decline, especially Portsmouth. Hard to imagine, but the Portsmouth area put out a disproportionate number of great athletes in the late 60’s early/mid 70’s: Chuck Ealey, Al Oliver, Don Gullet, Larry Hisle, Gene Tenace. Hard to fathom that four MLB players in the 70’s were from the Portsmouth area. Doesn’t include Johnnie Lemaster who was born in Portsmouth and played during the 70’s as well.
Yes. Population decline is the #1 issue. I foresee programs having to take a similar approach per Ironton via the transfers to stay competitive as time goes by and the pop continues to gradually decline.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

However Joe is one guy.

You seriously don’t think population matters? All you want to do is throw up a victim’s mentality! As for Joe, being from SEO had nothing to do with him not playing at OSU, it was timing and circumstances you can’t control, maybe much like Reid? But to blame where a kid is from? Please. Numbers always tell a story, and when you have more people to choose from, you will find more DI athletes.

Return to “Football”