Fans Complaining About Transfers

RBH23
S

Fans Complaining About Transfers

Post by RBH23 »

For those who claim that only SEO fans complain about transfers. Even at programs such as Massillon and McKinley the fans debate it.

https://yappi.com/forum/index.php?threa ... 47/page-15

Bunker Hill
Freshman Team

Re: Fans Complaining About Transfers

Post by Bunker Hill »

Read about what is going on at Garaway , their QB who is from the Dalton School District. One person mentioned there are seven players on the Garaway team from the Tusky Valley District .

ValleyStrong
Freshman Team

Post by ValleyStrong »

Ohio needs to go back to open enrollment period... like it or not transfers are going to happen. Allowing it to happen without penalty is what is best for the student athlete and the next stage of progression. Kids that would be benched by transfers then would transfer themselves to other schools, and that helps balance other programs. Eventually kids figure out hey this school or that school would benefit from me, and riding the pine at the home school is not providing what I want.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Stay and play where you live or transfer and set out a full year all sports. Easy.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

bfry wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:41 pm Stay and play where you live or transfer and set out a full year all sports. Easy.
I like that!

Didn’t that use to be the rule?

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

That’s basically the rule now. You get the first half instead of nothing. Don’t see a ton of kids utilizing that one. It’s typically a move.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:50 pm That’s basically the rule now. You get the first half instead of nothing. Don’t see a ton of kids utilizing that one. It’s typically a move.
Yeah, a “move” And I don’t think it should matter anyway. Regardless of address, sit out a year.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:50 pm That’s basically the rule now. You get the first half instead of nothing. Don’t see a ton of kids utilizing that one. It’s typically a move.
Didn’t Perkins move to Ironton? Don’t recall him sitting out games. Same with Felder?

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

bfry wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:52 pm
Yeah, a “move” And I don’t think it should matter anyway. Regardless of address, sit out a year.
That would never fly. Kid moves from Cleveland to Cincinnati and they have to sit out? OK to move in 8th, but in 9th you sit out a year?

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:01 pm
Didn’t Perkins move to Ironton? Don’t recall him sitting out games. Same with Felder?
Yes their families moved and lived in Ironton. Otherwise they sit.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:09 pm
That would never fly. Kid moves from Cleveland to Cincinnati and they have to sit out? OK to move in 8th, but in 9th you sit out a year?
Old men trying to restrict kids potential based on archaic rules in a sport governed by a body that gets payed off the kids commitment and hard work. It's not 1980 anymore. That family structure and dynamic has changed. Moves are common. Transfers are common. Recruiting is common. Life changes so things change. That's life. Adapt.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

I didn’t think I was that old.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Gotcha. Misread your initial post.

So even if no move, the player still gets half a year? Unless a move is involved, the player should be ineligible for one year.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

1.50 mile rule.
2.Yes

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

I honestly could care less. I just don’t want a WV scenario. Either there are rules, or there aren’t.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:16 pm

Gotcha. Misread your initial post.

So even if no move, the player still gets half a year? Unless a move is involved, the player should be ineligible for one year.
I’m saying if you changed the rule from what it is now to a full year, it would change very little. People aren’t sitting out the 2nd half now when they move, they wouldn’t sit out the full year either.

ValleyStrong
Freshman Team

Post by ValleyStrong »

There is and has always been loopholes in the transfer or move rules. Ohio is behind all southern states in athlete development for 2 old reasons, and 1 new.
1. Southern states recruit beginning in Jr. High
2. Ohio is one of the states that does not have spring football.
NIL has now made HS football a job to get paid at the next level. Open enrollment is the only solution. It is a business and the kids are trying to develop and build a resume. How can you fault the kid or parent for trying to improve the odds for their job. Should you only work in a certain radius of where you live? Or take a lower wage since you do not? These are young adults not little kids who are trying for a future beyond their hometown.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

ValleyStrong wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:36 pm There is and has always been loopholes in the transfer or move rules. Ohio is behind all southern states in athlete development for 2 old reasons, and 1 new.
1. Southern states recruit beginning in Jr. High
2. Ohio is one of the states that does not have spring football.
NIL has now made HS football a job to get paid at the next level. Open enrollment is the only solution. It is a business and the kids are trying to develop and build a resume. How can you fault the kid or parent for trying to improve the odds for their job. Should you only work in a certain radius of where you live? Or take a lower wage since you do not? These are young adults not little kids who are trying for a future beyond their hometown.

Spot on.

It's not 1973 anymore anyways. Things change.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

bfry wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:00 pm I honestly could care less. I just don’t want a WV scenario. Either there are rules, or there aren’t.
They're just old archaic rules now. Above is correct. This is a business opportunity now that kids are preparing for just like any other field or occupation. Things change. Gotta accept this is 2023 sports and not 1983 sports.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Furthermore if there is a potential for NIL money for high school athletes that also should NOT be restricted or prohibited. Same reasons.

Return to “Football”