OHSAA

Dundas
SEOPS

OHSAA

Post by Dundas »

Does anyone know how much the OHSAA has to spend each year for all sports? I hear a lot of people complaining about football playoff ticket costs this year. Do the people complaining know how much the OHSAA spends on all sports? I’m just curious. If the OHSAA were taking too much off the top, wouldn’t the schools drop playing under the OHSAA banner? If the schools don’t drop from the OHSAA, there’s really no reason for anyone to complain. If you don’t like the cost of playoff tickets, reach out to your school and demand they leave the blanket of the OHSAA.

I saw the Vinton County crowd at Gallia this past Friday. They sold out the visitor bleachers and then some. This is the POOREST county in the state of Ohio. I’m not sure what the excuse is for poor attendance when the county that is the least populated and poorest can fill a large visitor section at Galla in week 11. I don’t think they took food stamps at the gate. Maybe every other community should look inward at the problem of low attendance.

enigmaax
All State

Re: OHSAA

Post by enigmaax »

Dundas wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:08 pm Does anyone know how much the OHSAA has to spend each year for all sports? I hear a lot of people complaining about football playoff ticket costs this year. Do the people complaining know how much the OHSAA spends on all sports? I’m just curious. If the OHSAA were taking too much off the top, wouldn’t the schools drop playing under the OHSAA banner? If the schools don’t drop from the OHSAA, there’s really no reason for anyone to complain. If you don’t like the cost of playoff tickets, reach out to your school and demand they leave the blanket of the OHSAA.

I saw the Vinton County crowd at Gallia this past Friday. They sold out the visitor bleachers and then some. This is the POOREST county in the state of Ohio. I’m not sure what the excuse is for poor attendance when the county that is the least populated and poorest can fill a large visitor section at Galla in week 11. I don’t think they took food stamps at the gate. Maybe every other community should look inward at the problem of low attendance.
It is public information but no one will look it up. Or they’ll look it up and immediately say how easy it would be to cut out this or that or reduce someone’s salary, completely oblivious to any potential impacts their “solutions” would actually have.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Post by justpassinthru »

Dundas wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:08 pm Does anyone know how much the OHSAA has to spend each year for all sports? I hear a lot of people complaining about football playoff ticket costs this year. Do the people complaining know how much the OHSAA spends on all sports? I’m just curious. If the OHSAA were taking too much off the top, wouldn’t the schools drop playing under the OHSAA banner? If the schools don’t drop from the OHSAA, there’s really no reason for anyone to complain. If you don’t like the cost of playoff tickets, reach out to your school and demand they leave the blanket of the OHSAA.

Maybe it was well attended because - remind me again how often VC gets into football playoffs?

I can see other schools not attend playoff games early especially if they are in the playoffs year in and year out.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

It was weird going to watch Wheelersburg and Fort Frye last year only bring mom and dad. They used to bring a big fanbase. Ironton had a good crowd in Cincinnati

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

justpassinthru wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:12 am

Maybe it was well attended because - remind me again how often VC gets into football playoffs?

I can see other schools not attend playoff games early especially if they are in the playoffs year in and year out.
This is the 4th year in a row. You’d think that would be long enough for the community to stop caring about the playoffs and start to abandon the program like other communities in seo. My point is you can’t blame it all on money when the poorest county in the state manages to save enough food stamps to fill the bleachers in week 11 year after year. Same goes for the Convocation center. We’ve been there more than almost any other school in seo over the last 20 years and I don’t see a drop in attendance or lack of interest in the case of your argument.

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

Would say that broadcasting the games would be a big reason why local support is down. You can save $30 and watch it at home.

coachK
JV Team

Post by coachK »

Most counties have several schools not 1.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

coachK wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:09 pm

Most counties have several schools not 1.
Most counties have more than 13k people. Actually, they all do.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Vinton County fans love their sports more than everyone else.

Noted.

Fatdog
Riding the Bench

Post by Fatdog »

You either want to pay the money to watch your team or you don’t, whether it’s right or wrong its your choice.

justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Post by justpassinthru »

Dundas wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:19 pm

This is the 4th year in a row. You’d think that would be long enough for the community to stop caring about the playoffs and start to abandon the program like other communities in seo. My point is you can’t blame it all on money when the poorest county in the state manages to save enough food stamps to fill the bleachers in week 11 year after year. Same goes for the Convocation center. We’ve been there more than almost any other school in seo over the last 20 years and I don’t see a drop in attendance or lack of interest in the case of your argument.
So if it has been since the expansion that VC has made playoffs I think my point was made. The adults attending these games might not have ever seen one or their grandkids are playing. Lets face it there is not much to do in McArthur so why not spend you $10 and go to a game.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

justpassinthru wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:40 pm
Dundas wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:19 pm

So if it has been since the expansion that VC has made playoffs I think my point was made. The adults attending these games might not have ever seen one or their grandkids are playing. Lets face it there is not much to do in McArthur so why not spend you $10 and go to a game.
I think it’s $15. But again, that’s been the biggest issue for everyone on this site.

SPelf
Freshman Team

Post by SPelf »

Ironmen44 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:35 pm Would say that broadcasting the games would be a big reason why local support is down. You can save $30 and watch it at home.
THIS!!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Ironmen44 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:35 pm Would say that broadcasting the games would be a big reason why local support is down. You can save $30 and watch it at home.
This is definitely the reason attendance is down at the games. Wheelersburg shows all of there home games on Youtube. It seems like there were a lot of empty seats even in the reserve section this year and those seats were already paid for so the schools lost out on concessions and split the pot from those people.

Same reason with playoff games having bad attendance. Most of them are streamed and if it's in a location people don't want to drive to, they will just watch it at home. I know if the Burg-Barnesville game would have been at Nelsonville, I can guarantee you well over 100 Burg fans would not have went. They just wouldn't have wanted to make that drive. With the game being at Hamilton township, I look for both schools to bring a huge crowd. OHSAA actually did something smart with this game.

Return to “Football”