November 10, 2023 Ironton 14 - 20 Harvest Prep

Nurse45680
Waterboy

Re: Ironton v Harvest Prep

Post by Nurse45680 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:33 am No clue why people thought Ironton would be favored in this one. Coaching bites them in the butt again. Until he gives up the play calling, the playoff losses will continue
That same coach has taken Ironton to the State Championship game 4 out of the last 6 seasons. We've only had 2 years where we weren't the second best team in the entire state of Ohio since Pendleton's first season as head coach. I think he does a great job and Ironton's record supports my statement!

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

Howard Cosell wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:32 am
GoBigI wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:25 am
Baldeagle wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:45 am You guys should send Travis Pendlesin up to watch Eastern in playoff games. Maybe he could use a night watching a team with toughness for inspiration.
When Eastern (whoever that is) plays in 3 State Championships in 4 years, get back with me. Until then, I’ll search Google to see if I can figure out who they are.
Typical Ironton response. Still riding the coat tails of Lutz titles. You guys have been smart in avoiding playing us. Just get bareassed like everyone else.
CALPREPS.COM
Your source for high school football scores, standings & rankings

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2023] Ironton (OH) 52 (>99%), [2023] Eastern (Beaver, OH) 3 (<1%)

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2023] Ironton (OH) 42 (98%), [2023] Eastern (Reedsville, OH) 7 (2%)

Not sure which Eastern you’re talking about, and this was a down Ironton team, but it doesn’t look good for either Eastern.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

TigerBob wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:48 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:31 am
TigerBob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:45 pm Awesome site we have here attacking 17 and 18 year old kids.

Prep has too many athletes for Ironton. Power run game sounds awesome if it will work. It didn’t. Ironton lined up a ton under center and ran it right at Prep. It wasn’t working. The passing game wasn’t much better given Schreck was running for his life and nobody was open. The one offensive TD was a scramble drill, not a designed play.

Sometimes the better team makes a few more plays and wins. It doesn’t have to be the coach sucks, or this kid sucks, or anything like that. It’s just one team is better than the other.

I will say Wheelersburg seems like a bad matchup for what Prep wants to do. Feels like if Wheelersburg can get Prep to make one extra mistake they’ll take it.
I was not attacking #12, think he’s a great athlete. I just thought #11 made more sense as QB.

As for IHS being a power run team, after watching the Burg-IHS game, I thought this is where they would go with their O. IHS’s best drive in that game came early in the 3rd quarter when IHS just ran it down Burg’s throat. Drive only ended in 3pts but was the best drive the entire game.

What I’ve seen from Ironton since is an O that doesn’t have any identity. The play calling appears fragmented with little rhyme or reason (same problem Burg had earlier in the season); seemed like the OC was counting on big plays from Terry to score. I think IHS would have been better offensively if they focused on power run from the beginning of the season. Basically too late to change come playoff time.

As for the coaches, they obviously don’t suck. That’s an overstatement. But they have not addressed the problems that have haunted IHS for the past 4+ years. Too much dependence on talent making big plays, and not enough focus on improving the basics (turnovers, penalties, OL play, etc).

IHS has talent. When they line up on the field against other D5 schools, IHS always has more talent than the team on the other side. Coaching, especially on the O side, is holding the team back and needs to improve. Hence why many on here are frustrated.
You weren't the worst offender, but I think any adult anonymously saying things about a kid online is a bad look. If I'm a kid, and my team lost, and I felt like I played bad, I certainly wouldn't want to see someone online criticizing me. Do I think the kids are reading this stuff? I hope not, but it's out there for them. I just don't think it's helpful.

As far as Ironton's offensive identity, the criticisms are fair. A lot of people on this site, you included, oversimplify things a ton. Ironton and Wheelersburg should just do what Kirtland and Marion Local do is a common refrain. There are more than 700 schools who play football in Ohio. Somewhere around 2 do what Kirtland and Marion Local do.

Ironton's line all year just didn't perform against quality competition. The idea that Ironton could have or should have been a power run team is a bit far fetched. They didn't show that ability on a week to week, drive to drive basis all year. If they had gone power run, it's that much tougher to get Terry the number of touches that everyone feels he should get. Then people would complain about that.

With the QB switch, I'll say the coaches are competitive people who want to win and see these kids every day. I don't know what went into the decision, but I bet it wasn't made lightly and it was the choice that gave the team the best chance to win in the eyes of the coaches. Not like Ironton was rolling offensively headed into Week 11, which wasn't on the QB, but certainly gives you some breathing room to make the change.

Ironton is certainly talented, but they didn't have a ton of seniors getting meaningful snaps. That's a big deal in high school football. Just the strength and physical development boys go through over the last few years meant that this team was always going to struggle to be as good as the last few years or the next few years.

All of this criticism and negativity amidst a season where Ironton goes 9-1, wins their league, and wins two playoff games. The type of season that would be the best in a generation at many schools is looked at as a major disappointment. And that's fair, given Ironton's stated goals and the mouth running of the vocal morons in the fan base.
Only 2 programs out of 700 focus on discipline and fundamentals?

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:31 am
TigerBob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:45 pm Awesome site we have here attacking 17 and 18 year old kids.

Prep has too many athletes for Ironton. Power run game sounds awesome if it will work. It didn’t. Ironton lined up a ton under center and ran it right at Prep. It wasn’t working. The passing game wasn’t much better given Schreck was running for his life and nobody was open. The one offensive TD was a scramble drill, not a designed play.

Sometimes the better team makes a few more plays and wins. It doesn’t have to be the coach sucks, or this kid sucks, or anything like that. It’s just one team is better than the other.

I will say Wheelersburg seems like a bad matchup for what Prep wants to do. Feels like if Wheelersburg can get Prep to make one extra mistake they’ll take it.
I was not attacking #12, think he’s a great athlete. I just thought #11 made more sense as QB.

As for IHS being a power run team, after watching the Burg-IHS game, I thought this is where they would go with their O. IHS’s best drive in that game came early in the 3rd quarter when IHS just ran it down Burg’s throat. Drive only ended in 3pts but was the best drive the entire game.

What I’ve seen from Ironton since is an O that doesn’t have any identity. The play calling appears fragmented with little rhyme or reason (same problem Burg had earlier in the season); seemed like the OC was counting on big plays from Terry to score. I think IHS would have been better offensively if they focused on power run from the beginning of the season. Basically too late to change come playoff time.

As for the coaches, they obviously don’t suck. That’s an overstatement. But they have not addressed the problems that have haunted IHS for the past 4+ years. Too much dependence on talent making big plays, and not enough focus on improving the basics (turnovers, penalties, OL play, etc).

IHS has talent. When they line up on the field against other D5 schools, IHS always has more talent than the team on the other side. Coaching, especially on the O side, is holding the team back and needs to improve. Hence why many on here are frustrated.
You weren't the worst offender, but I think any adult anonymously saying things about a kid online is a bad look. If I'm a kid, and my team lost, and I felt like I played bad, I certainly wouldn't want to see someone online criticizing me. Do I think the kids are reading this stuff? I hope not, but it's out there for them. I just don't think it's helpful.

As far as Ironton's offensive identity, the criticisms are fair. A lot of people on this site, you included, oversimplify things a ton. Ironton and Wheelersburg should just do what Kirtland and Marion Local do is a common refrain. There are more than 700 schools who play football in Ohio. Somewhere around 2 do what Kirtland and Marion Local do.

Ironton's line all year just didn't perform against quality competition. The idea that Ironton could have or should have been a power run team is a bit far fetched. They didn't show that ability on a week to week, drive to drive basis all year. If they had gone power run, it's that much tougher to get Terry the number of touches that everyone feels he should get. Then people would complain about that.

With the QB switch, I'll say the coaches are competitive people who want to win and see these kids every day. I don't know what went into the decision, but I bet it wasn't made lightly and it was the choice that gave the team the best chance to win in the eyes of the coaches. Not like Ironton was rolling offensively headed into Week 11, which wasn't on the QB, but certainly gives you some breathing room to make the change.

Ironton is certainly talented, but they didn't have a ton of seniors getting meaningful snaps. That's a big deal in high school football. Just the strength and physical development boys go through over the last few years meant that this team was always going to struggle to be as good as the last few years or the next few years.

All of this criticism and negativity amidst a season where Ironton goes 9-1, wins their league, and wins two playoff games. The type of season that would be the best in a generation at many schools is looked at as a major disappointment. And that's fair, given Ironton's stated goals and the mouth running of the vocal morons in the fan base.
Pre season Tiger fans: best team we've had. Ovc farewell we are moving on to better competition. The only team we lost to was "d1" Cabell Midland. "Canton or bust."

Ironton fans post season: our team is very young this year. But we won the ovc. Only 2 programs outta 700 in Ohio focus on discipline and fundamentals.

That bluster every season never ends well. Smh. Same old hypocrisy and excuses and hallmark cards. Smh.

Tired of hearing it. Win or shut up.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:29 am
SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:29 am Friend of mine said that it got pretty sporty on the sideline after the game between Pendleton and some fans/parents. Said someone from Athens had to get between them and make the fans leave. What was that all about?
I wouldn't doubt this however I'll say that. Southeastohioians talk all this junk about their quaint tight knit communities and yet they are always the very first to talk down on their neighbor. So par for the course if true.

IF. Cause southernohio innuendo is about as dependable as a Jerrod Pendleton playbook.
Not sure about last night but Ironton has been playing 6 or 7 guys not from Ironton on defense and from what I was told there is beginning to be a pushback from the community that kids and grandkids who grew up dreaming and working to play at Ironton are watching dudes come in and take their time. I suspect it will get worse.

tigerpride
Waterboy

Post by tigerpride »

#12 is a great qb. He got put in situation where he didn’t get many reps as qb all season. Heaths head coach told him after game , he was one of best qb they have played.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:34 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:31 am I'm

Pre season Tiger fans: best team we've had. Ovc farewell we are moving on to better competition. The only team we lost to was "d1" Cabell Midland. "Canton or bust."

Ironton fans post season: our team is very young this year. But we won the ovc. Only 2 programs outta 700 in Ohio focus on discipline and fundamentals.

That bluster every season never ends well. Smh. Same old hypocrisy and excuses and hallmark cards. Smh.

I'm curious who did you hear say the Tigers were gonna go to Canton this year? I do not think I heard a single Ironton fan say anything like that. I do believe most of the fans expectations for this team were tempered. I, for one, would have been ecstatic if we could have won the regional championship this year but my head told me that we would very unlikely make that far. One could see that week 1 when we played against the Burg.

We were missing several elements that can make a great team. 1st of all was a bruising running back that could come up the middle and punish defenders. I do believe Zane Williams can be that kind of player but he's not ready yet as a sophomore.

Then again most of the time personally, I can care less about going up to Canton. Don't give me wrong it's nice to think you can win a state championships but it's something that doesn't happen very often. I think The Fighting Tigers can look at how many regional trophies they have won the last few years and should be very proud! So many local schools have never, ever won a regional title. I like to just go to football game and enjoy that game and not think about anything way off in the future. Sadly though, the competition is so poor in the OVC, it is often impossible to do that. I skipped more than a game

We are gonna lose a lot of good boys this year but the same time we have a lot of boys who are very talented and are still very young.

We could look back into the 60's. I'd have to look it up to be sure but I'm thinking we won a hair over 20 games total the whole decade

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

tigerpride wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:02 pm #12 is a great qb. He got put in situation where he didn’t get many reps as qb all season. Heaths head coach told him after game , he was one of best qb they have played.
I thought he done a great job as well. Everyone's acting like he never took a snap behind center until week 11 and that is not true. I also was blessed to have seen 11 back there and as a fan appreciated his effort and contributions!

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Nurse45680 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:16 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:33 am No clue why people thought Ironton would be favored in this one. Coaching bites them in the butt again. Until he gives up the play calling, the playoff losses will continue
That same coach has taken Ironton to the State Championship game 4 out of the last 6 seasons. We've only had 2 years where we weren't the second best team in the entire state of Ohio since Pendleton's first season as head coach. I think he does a great job and Ironton's record supports my statement!
And gets out coached every time they run up against a team to equal or greater talent. Talent takes them further than most, then they get out coached in scheme, technique, play concept & design.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

I would agree this team wasn’t near as talented as last years team, but if any other team in Southern Ohio had the talent on this team and went out in the 3rd round (would be 2nd before) then fans would be calling for their job. It blows my mind to read posts about not having this or that. They have a lineman committed to Eastern Michigan. A receiver with offers from most every Power 5 school east of the Mississippi. Numerous other guys who will play college ball and 60 kids on a roster. Heck most school’s don’t have 2 kids who are qualified to play varsity quarterback and fans are arguing who it should be. It’s crazy.

As with every other year, when Ironton plays a team where coaching becomes a priority and the talent is close, they loose.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:52 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:29 am
SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:29 am Friend of mine said that it got pretty sporty on the sideline after the game between Pendleton and some fans/parents. Said someone from Athens had to get between them and make the fans leave. What was that all about?
I wouldn't doubt this however I'll say that. Southeastohioians talk all this junk about their quaint tight knit communities and yet they are always the very first to talk down on their neighbor. So par for the course if true.

IF. Cause southernohio innuendo is about as dependable as a Jerrod Pendleton playbook.
Not sure about last night but Ironton has been playing 6 or 7 guys not from Ironton on defense and from what I was told there is beginning to be a pushback from the community that kids and grandkids who grew up dreaming and working to play at Ironton are watching dudes come in and take their time. I suspect it will get worse.
It's that why 12 got qb1 week 11? I didn't hear a word mentioned on here about #11 being injured until POST GAME and even more peculiar IF that's the case and the kid had a shoulder injury and couldn't throw then WHY did Irontons OC draw up a pitch from 12 to 11 and 11 throw a pass? Doesn't make sense. And yesterday the word on here is "its #12's team for rest of season this season and all of next season" hinting that no qb competition will be tolerated for the rest of 12's Ironton campaign. And 12 is the grandson of Ironton legacy correct? Just strange. Smh

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:30 pm I would agree this team wasn’t near as talented as last years team, but if any other team in Southern Ohio had the talent on this team and went out in the 3rd round (would be 2nd before) then fans would be calling for their job. It blows my mind to read posts about not having this or that. They have a lineman committed to Eastern Michigan. A receiver with offers from most every Power 5 school east of the Mississippi. Numerous other guys who will play college ball and 60 kids on a roster. Heck most school’s don’t have 2 kids who are qualified to play varsity quarterback and fans are arguing who it should be. It’s crazy.

As with every other year, when Ironton plays a team where coaching becomes a priority and the talent is close, they loose.
Maybe the talent level isn’t as great as some think. You ever thought maybe the College stuff wouldn’t happen if Pendleton wasn’t pushing them so hard with his connections. Just an observation that many have said. Pendleton and staff haven’t had a Jermon Jackson or Walt Delong or anyone like that yet.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:30 pm I would agree this team wasn’t near as talented as last years team, but if any other team in Southern Ohio had the talent on this team and went out in the 3rd round (would be 2nd before) then fans would be calling for their job. It blows my mind to read posts about not having this or that. They have a lineman committed to Eastern Michigan. A receiver with offers from most every Power 5 school east of the Mississippi. Numerous other guys who will play college ball and 60 kids on a roster. Heck most school’s don’t have 2 kids who are qualified to play varsity quarterback and fans are arguing who it should be. It’s crazy.

I love my Tigers but our fan base back in seo can not stomach accountability whatsoever. So much bravado every year but as soon as we fall short you better write nothing but hallmark cards or they will divert the convo from football to self righteous pleas of "Attacking kids and trashing coaches." Even though we as Ironton fans talk that same talk about the ovc every season.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

XandOs wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:37 pm

Maybe the talent level isn’t as great as some think. You ever thought maybe the College stuff wouldn’t happen if Pendleton wasn’t pushing them so hard with his connections. Just an observation that many have said. Pendleton and staff haven’t had a Jermon Jackson or Walt Delong or anyone like that yet.
I think there's some truth to that.

Hence: you didn't see Terry rip off the same ridiculous runs vs those prep kids as he did vs Fairland did ya?

When he gets to college ya think he's gonna do it vs IMG or Mater Dei kids?

Ask Carrico.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

tigerpride wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:02 pm #12 is a great qb. He got put in situation where he didn’t get many reps as qb all season. Heaths head coach told him after game , he was one of best qb they have played.
12 is a great athlete.

12 ain't no qb. Smh

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

kantucky wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:03 pm

I'm curious who did you hear say the Tigers were gonna go to Canton this year? I do not think I heard a single Ironton fan say anything like that. I do believe most of the fans expectations for this team were tempered. I, for one, would have been ecstatic if we could have won the regional championship this year but my head told me that we would very unlikely make that far. One could see that week 1 when we played against the Burg.

We were missing several elements that can make a great team. 1st of all was a bruising running back that could come up the middle and punish defenders. I do believe Zane Williams can be that kind of player but he's not ready yet as a sophomore.

Then again most of the time personally, I can care less about going up to Canton. Don't give me wrong it's nice to think you can win a state championships but it's something that doesn't happen very often. I think The Fighting Tigers can look at how many regional trophies they have won the last few years and should be very proud! So many local schools have never, ever won a regional title. I like to just go to football game and enjoy that game and not think about anything way off in the future. Sadly though, the competition is so poor in the OVC, it is often impossible to do that. I skipped more than a game

We are gonna lose a lot of good boys this year but the same time we have a lot of boys who are very talented and are still very young.

We could look back into the 60's. I'd have to look it up to be sure but I'm thinking we won a hair over 20 games total the whole decade
Not all Ironton fans were drinking the kool-aid going into this year, but some most certainly were downing it by the gallon!

Ohiobuckeye2 specifically stated that the OL and run game would be better, that IHS would win region and possibly state of healthy, and that this was the best team Pendleton has had at Ironton.

He and I went back and forth on this. Given what IHS lost form the ‘22 team, improvement in ‘23 seemed unlikely.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:12 pm

Not all Ironton fans were drinking the kool-aid going into this year, but some most certainly were downing it by the gallon!

Ohiobuckeye2 specifically stated that the OL and run game would be better, that IHS would win region and possibly state of healthy, and that this was the best team Pendleton has had at Ironton.

He and I went back and forth on this. Given what IHS lost form the ‘22 team, improvement in ‘23 seemed unlikely.
Imo the publicly stated goal by Ironton football is "the road to canton." And its promoted all season. ..

So, like it or love it, THAT is the standard you are graded out on and if That standard is too hot for Ironton fans maybe you should tell your social media team to ssssshhhh

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:12 pm

Here is what I said last year. I’ll stand by it.

Given they lost 4 D1 scholarship players, the most productive QB in school history, a handful more that will play next level (Barnes, Felder, Young) an a three year starter on both sides of the ball (Wilson), it’s hard to say that two move ins make up for all that.

The 2023 team could be really good, and certainly won’t lack for depth. But they are a long way from eclipsing the 2022 team just yet.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

So you’re implying that Power 5 Schools are offering and giving scholarships to Ironton players based upon the word of Pendleton versus doing their own evaluations? I find that hard to believe

What I would believe is players like the 2 kids from Ashland and others haven’t helped themselves from a scholarship standpoint by attending Ironton. That and the fact that no guys have yet to pan out in college will eventually cause coaches to discredit the word of the Ironton coaches.

Even worse will be when the football crazy town of Ironton sours to the way the team is ran and totally turns on the coaches and the transfers stop coming.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:38 pm

So you’re implying that Power 5 Schools are offering and giving scholarships to Ironton players based upon the word of Pendleton versus doing their own evaluations? I find that hard to believe

What I would believe is players like the 2 kids from Ashland and others haven’t helped themselves from a scholarship standpoint by attending Ironton. That and the fact that no guys have yet to pan out in college will eventually cause coaches to discredit the word of the Ironton coaches.

Even worse will be when the football crazy town of Ironton sours to the way the team is ran and totally turns on the coaches and the transfers stop coming.

Sounds like you just answered the question you were implying. I think Ironton is in good shape. 11-2 is worst season they’ve had and that is a disappointment. Oh and right now. Match resume for resume at this point in career . Pendleton is ahead of Coach Lutz and Woodward and many other coaches on the Mt. Rushmore of coaches in Southern Ohio. Lutz didn’t win first title til year 7. Guess what? 2024 is year 7 for Pendleton. Let’s hope the stars align in 2024

Return to “Football”