New week 1 Rivals

Rolltanks
All Conference

New week 1 Rivals

Post by Rolltanks »

Imo Unioto vs Vinton county is becoming a really good week one game.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Re: New week 1 Rivals

Post by SiderBlood »

West vs Fairland

West dominated this one for 20 years, but the last several have been barn burners. Fairland just seems to have our number but they have all been coin flips

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Gallia needs to drop Meigs and get a school like Chillicothe or Waverly to open the season. Meigs just doesn't beat a Gallia team with a pulse, ever. It took the two worst GA teams ever (both of which would've gone 0-10 if not for Warren and South Point) and two pretty good Meigs teams to get their only win streak over GA that I can remember.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Barnesville @ Fort Frye going to be really good.

tigercat74
Riding the Bench

Post by tigercat74 »

I know why they quit playing but I always enjoyed when Waverly played Piketon. As a Waverly grad, I loved holding it over my cousin who went to Piketon. :lol:

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

tigercat74 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:41 am I know why they quit playing but I always enjoyed when Waverly played Piketon. As a Waverly grad, I loved holding it over my cousin who went to Piketon. :lol:

Same thing here!! It’s a darn shame it isn’t played week 1 anymore, if there were a way to make it week 10 that’d be phenomenal. Regardless hope it comes back sooner than later!

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Post by YouCantBeSerious »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:12 pm
tigercat74 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:41 am I know why they quit playing but I always enjoyed when Waverly played Piketon. As a Waverly grad, I loved holding it over my cousin who went to Piketon. :lol:

Same thing here!! It’s a darn shame it isn’t played week 1 anymore, if there were a way to make it week 10 that’d be phenomenal. Regardless hope it comes back sooner than later!
I believe they need to bring it back. I understand why they stopped as it seemed the programs were going in different directions and it wasn’t beneficial for either. But I think it would be a good time to bring it back. It was such a huge event for the county and gave the kids a huge crowd to play for. Not to mention a hefty gate and concession profit for both schools. I know Waverly is trying to play some bigger schools non conference wise to help them with the playoffs, but I think bringing this rivalry back would be a great thing for both teams. Having a heated rival to look forward to beating every year makes being a competitor so much more fun. But not sure it will happen, at least for awhile. I have heard maybe some coaches don’t want it back due to the relationship they share with the opposing schools coaches, think they share ideas and workouts at times. IMO tho I think this game and rivalry is bigger than that and should be added to the schedules again.

CuckooNest
Riding the Bench

Post by CuckooNest »

Minford and Piketon had a good one going for a while. Wouldn’t mind seeing that one come back.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Marietta vs Morgan is back on the schedule for week 1 this season. The two were traditional week 1 opponents/rivals for a while, but haven't played in a couple seasons. Was pretty one sided in favor of Marietta towards the end, but Morgan's program is in a much better place now. Glad to have them back on the schedule. The 2016 game up in McConnelsville is still one of the wildest football games I have ever watched.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

EasternDspy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:05 am Barnesville @ Fort Frye going to be really good.
Hopefully this is a long term series. Two of the best small school programs in eastern Ohio.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Rolltanks wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:07 pm Imo Unioto vs Vinton county is becoming a really good week one game.
Absolute agree. There have been some great games the last few years. Hopefully this rivalry continues for years to come.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

YouCantBeSerious wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:30 pm
Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:12 pm

I believe they need to bring it back. I understand why they stopped as it seemed the programs were going in different directions and it wasn’t beneficial for either. But I think it would be a good time to bring it back. It was such a huge event for the county and gave the kids a huge crowd to play for. Not to mention a hefty gate and concession profit for both schools. I know Waverly is trying to play some bigger schools non conference wise to help them with the playoffs, but I think bringing this rivalry back would be a great thing for both teams. Having a heated rival to look forward to beating every year makes being a competitor so much more fun. But not sure it will happen, at least for awhile. I have heard maybe some coaches don’t want it back due to the relationship they share with the opposing schools coaches, think they share ideas and workouts at times. IMO tho I think this game and rivalry is bigger than that and should be added to the schedules again.
Well said post. The environment at these games each year was great. Hopefully they do end up playing again sooner rather than later

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

pioneer19 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:47 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:05 am Barnesville @ Fort Frye going to be really good.
Hopefully this is a long term series. Two of the best small school programs in eastern Ohio.
Coach Huck is 6-0 vs Barnesville

Billy Brave
Freshman Team

Post by Billy Brave »

Interesting

HighLightReel
Freshman Team

Post by HighLightReel »

Piketon vs Waverly was a great one IMO. Huge gate for both schools. Wish they would bring it back.

Unioto vs Vinton County is becoming a solid week 1 match up.

Return to “Football”