Irontons Shaun Terry Committed to Notre Dame

artisgilmore
Varsity

Re: Irontons Shaun Terry Committed to Notre Dame

Post by artisgilmore »

Let’s see,committed to ND,must not be any good,Right?

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

artisgilmore wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:40 am
Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:15 am
RBH23 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:39 pm

True, but OSU wr recruiting has been ridiculous. They seem to land every 5-star available.
right, 5'9" 165lbs isn't on their radar
His size to me isn’t an issue.He might still be just 16,maybe just turned 17.Can’t tackle what you can’t touch. :)
How many elite D1 level talent defensive backs had he ran routes on so far?

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:26 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:15 am

right, 5'9" 165lbs isn't on their radar
His size to me isn’t an issue.He might still be just 16,maybe just turned 17.Can’t tackle what you can’t touch. :)
Probably as many as Randy Moss did during his high school days.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:13 pm
Moss was 6ft4 and ran a 4.25. Terry isn't that in his most wild fantasy lol

My question is valid. Everybody is prognosticating success on the field at ND. I'd like to know what the prognosticating is based on? How much defensive talent had he encountered where he had to rely on technique instead of just speed? Harvest Prep put clamps on him in the playoffs. How would he do against a talented dB like a Denzel Burke for example? This is the talent level he will have to compete against on the field not to mention the talent level he will be competing against in his position room. Same thing hurt Carrico. In seo d5 football his speed and size was enough to win about every play. But when he got to columbus he couldnt do that and he hadnt developed technique vs elite talent
Same way Terry wins every play vs Burg, Fairland, or Jackson. Won't be that way in South Bend. So , is there any film vs quality defensive backs? Or nah? He's gonna have to improve A TON as a route runner to succeed at this level cause his speed isn't overwhelming at that level like it is vs Fairland or wheelersburg

LetsRide
Waterboy

Post by LetsRide »

Wish you old timers could just congratulate the young man on his opportunity to continue playing football while also getting a high quality education and leave it at that.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

LetsRide wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:22 pm Wish you old timers could just congratulate the young man on his opportunity to continue playing football while also getting a high quality education and leave it at that.
Well said

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
buckeyes05
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyes05 »

Easy to look good against rock hill and other small fish…. Osu didn’t miss anything by not offering this kid.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Why is it so hard for some to say congrats to the kid and wish him the best?
I am betting on his worst day he is still better than all of you who are downing when it comes to football and probably at life too.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:49 pm

My question is valid. Everybody is prognosticating success on the field at ND. I'd like to know what the prognosticating is based on? How much defensive talent had he encountered where he had to rely on technique instead of just speed? Harvest Prep put clamps on him in the playoffs. How would he do against a talented dB like a Denzel Burke for example? This is the talent level he will have to compete against on the field not to mention the talent level he will be competing against in his position room. Same thing hurt Carrico. In seo d5 football his speed and size was enough to win about every play. But when he got to columbus he couldnt do that and he hadnt developed technique vs elite talent
Same way Terry wins every play vs Burg, Fairland, or Jackson. Won't be that way in South Bend. So , is there any film vs quality defensive backs? Or nah? He's gonna have to improve A TON as a route runner to succeed at this level cause his speed isn't overwhelming at that level like it is vs Fairland or wheelersburg
I brought up Moss to point out the stupidity of your argument. May shock you, but most top D1 athletes don’t cross paths with other top D1 talent. Why? Because very few high school players are of that caliber!

As for size, Jerry Rice was a whopping 6’2” and played high school ball in some tiny town in Mississippi. Although a different sport, Jason Williams, a 6’1” guard, played against inferior talent in WV yet still made it to the NBA.

I know it’s hard for you to wrap your mind around, but sometimes players from small towns do well at the next level. No guarantees, but at least this young man has a shot.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:05 pm
LetsRide wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:22 pm Wish you old timers could just congratulate the young man on his opportunity to continue playing football while also getting a high quality education and leave it at that.
Well said
Welcome to reality where he will be scrutinized for every single breath. You say ya wanna see these kids on the big stage but ya can't stomach everything that comes with it can ya?

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:18 pm Why is it so hard for some to say congrats to the kid and wish him the best?
I am betting on his worst day he is still better than all of you who are downing when it comes to football and probably at life too.
Probably or certainly? What metrics did you utilize to determine this probably? What is it based on?

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:09 pm

I brought up Moss to point out the stupidity of your argument. May shock you, but most top D1 athletes don’t cross paths with other top D1 talent. Why? Because very few high school players are of that caliber!

As for size, Jerry Rice was a whopping 6’2” and played high school ball in some tiny town in Mississippi. Although a different sport, Jason Williams, a 6’1” guard, played against inferior talent in WV yet still made it to the NBA.

I know it’s hard for you to wrap your mind around, but sometimes players from small towns do well at the next level. No guarantees, but at least this young man has a shot.

Again, Moss was 6ft4 and ran a 4.2. Terry ain't nor will ever be that my guy. And Carrico coulda used a year against better talent at a prep school before he headed up to join the LB room in Columbus cause he lacked technique and that is where kids find their edge against equal or superior size and/or athleticism. The d5 seo kids that have d1 physical attributes run all over the majority of seo d5 kids cause the majority of seo d5 ohio kids are just kids who like to play a sport, instead of being athletes. A ND or Ohio State or Bama position room is all elite athletes and now a days many of those kids get personal trainers etc etc etc. I think you older seo guys are kinda outta touch with the sport in its modern form. And a skill position kid now isn't gonna be given 3 years to develop. It's plug and play or hit the portal or become the next Tate Martell.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

buckeyes05 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:10 pm Easy to look good against rock hill and other small fish…. Osu didn’t miss anything by not offering this kid.
One name comes to mind: Jeremiah Smith. Kid is a FREAK who played against superior talent his.entire career. This past summer he matched the record for the nfl combine broad jump as an 18 yr old kid. Smith ALSO worked with a personal trainer throughout his high school career in addition to everything else. THAT is an example of a REAL D1 product. Most of these old decrepit seo birds just wanna get on here and write hallmark card lymrics instead of having actual convo with critical analysis because of their sentimental connection to the seo mud puddle. Buncha fluff.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

You do not have to write odes to the greatness to these kids to be considered supportive lol.

A wise man once said ya REAL supporters are honest enough to share the truth with you no matter how much it hurts.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:30 am You do not have to write odes to the greatness to these kids to be considered supportive lol.

A wise man once said ya REAL supporters are honest enough to share the truth with you no matter how much it hurts.
I am happy for the young man. He has a great opportunity at an incredible school. Take advantage of this educational opportunity because it will last far longer than football.

It’s not the IHS players with whom I have an issue, it is talentless hacks like yourself who never accomplished anything in athletics or academics yet get on here and insult these young men while trying to pretend they are noble for “telling the truth.”

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Here’s what the Irish breakdown thinks of him.

SHAUN TERRY, WIDE RECEIVER

Hometown/High School: Ironton, Ohio/Ironton
Height/Weight: 5-10, 170

IB Grade: 3.5 (Top 350 caliber prospect)
Upside Grade: 4.0

Analysis: Notre Dame wants more dynamic after the catch players on the roster, and Terry is one of the best on the Irish board at doing just that. He averaged over 19 yards per touch on offense as a junior, with Terry showing himself to be an impact weapon in the screen game, quick game and as a runner. Terry also took five punts back for touchdowns this past season, and his ability as a return man adds to his value in the class. Terry shows impressive quickness and vision as a runner, and although he lacks ideal top end speed, he shows enough of a burst and second level acceleration to rip off a lot of big runs. He catches the ball well and has a lot of potential as a route runner with more coaching. Despite being on the smaller side, Terry is a tough player with exceptional balance, which allows him to play bigger than he is once he gets the football. He's a bit of a niche player than he is a strong all-around player at this point, but he's very, very good at the niche game he possesses.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:21 am

Again, Moss was 6ft4 and ran a 4.2. Terry ain't nor will ever be that my guy. And Carrico coulda used a year against better talent at a prep school before he headed up to join the LB room in Columbus cause he lacked technique and that is where kids find their edge against equal or superior size and/or athleticism. The d5 seo kids that have d1 physical attributes run all over the majority of seo d5 kids cause the majority of seo d5 ohio kids are just kids who like to play a sport, instead of being athletes. A ND or Ohio State or Bama position room is all elite athletes and now a days many of those kids get personal trainers etc etc etc. I think you older seo guys are kinda outta touch with the sport in its modern form. And a skill position kid now isn't gonna be given 3 years to develop. It's plug and play or hit the portal or become the next Tate Martell.
I like how you simply dismissed Jerry Rice. He wasn’t particularly tall and ran a 4.7! Yet look at what he accomplished in the NFL despite not playing against top talent in his younger days.

Also, you think you are truly smarter than the recruiters from these top schools that offered Terry? You think ND isn’t aware of his strengths and weaknesses? That they don’t know how to evaluate talent and success at the college level?

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Congrats to this young man. While not a ND fan, I wish him the best.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Wish Shaun the best, great opportunity at a great school. Metrics can never measure the heart of a player. I'm quite sure that if ND didn't think he could help their program, they wouldn't have offered him.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:21 am
Tri_State79 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:21 am

I like how you simply dismissed Jerry Rice. He wasn’t particularly tall and ran a 4.7! Yet look at what he accomplished in the NFL despite not playing against top talent in his younger days.

Also, you think you are truly smarter than the recruiters from these top schools that offered Terry? You think ND isn’t aware of his strengths and weaknesses? That they don’t know how to evaluate talent and success at the college level?
Here let me address it. He was Jerry Rice. One in a milly not a look if he can do it so can you moment. Lighting In a bottle.

Return to “Football”