Vinton County 2024

The County Resident
Riding the Bench

Re: Vinton County 2024

Post by The County Resident »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:09 am Lets hire someone who will stay and build for the long term......Make it a career not a job...
Who’s your suggestion then? Somebody internal I assume. Games? Phillips? Mendes? Garth Fry? Long? Hire?

Games should be the front runner. Phillips would be a good hire too. My son told me has heard Fry is going to apply. Could be interesting. Long is interesting. Seems to know ball, but he’s young. I don’t know Mendes, but he seems like a loved coach by the kids, but like Long, he’s young. Hire has been there for a long time, but I don’t know if he’s the HC type.

Jackson Football
Freshman Team

Post by Jackson Football »

Dundas wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:33 am
Jackson Football wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:50 am When does the Vinton County and Jackson series resume ?
Unsure. I know they were in talks of 2025. We also reached out to Warren for a series. With TJ leaving, that could change things though.
Hope it’s soon. You all been flapping your guns wanting to play Jackson.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Jackson Football wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:06 pm
Jackson Football wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:50 am When does the Vinton County and Jackson series resume ?
Unsure. I know they were in talks of 2025. We also reached out to Warren for a series. With TJ leaving, that could change things though.
I don’t flap my guns. That just sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The County Resident wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:24 pm
vcgrad wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:09 am Lets hire someone who will stay and build for the long term......Make it a career not a job...
Who’s your suggestion then? Somebody internal I assume. Games? Phillips? Mendes? Garth Fry? Long? Hire?

Games should be the front runner. Phillips would be a good hire too. My son told me has heard Fry is going to apply. Could be interesting. Long is interesting. Seems to know ball, but he’s young. I don’t know Mendes, but he seems like a loved coach by the kids, but like Long, he’s young. Hire has been there for a long time, but I don’t know if he’s the HC type.
Phillips, Games, Fry, from VC are interested (per sources). An Athens assistant is also rumored to be looking into the job.

Jackson Football
Freshman Team

Post by Jackson Football »

Dundas wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:42 pm

Phillips, Games, Fry, from VC are interested (per sources). An Athens assistant is also rumored to be looking into the job.
Just make sure whoever gets it schedules Jackson.

The County Resident
Riding the Bench

Post by The County Resident »

Jackson Football wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:06 pm
I haven’t heard a single word from anybody wanting to play Jackson. VC’s best team in twenty years gets beat by double digits against Jackson. They’re just two different levels of programs.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

You can only get better by playing better teams-- Lets play Jackson --instead of Trimble.

coachK
JV Team

Post by coachK »

V. C. Needs to stick with the Athens game. Play in a league with much smaller schools, then get smashed in playoffs, if those smaller schools get you enough points to get in.

GrumpyPundit
Riding the Bench

Post by GrumpyPundit »

vcgrad wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:26 am You can only get better by playing better teams-- Lets play Jackson --instead of Trimble.
I think Jackson’s varsity schedule is full through 2027. But they should absolutely play JV or JH against each other. Big gates, and VC could see his close they are to getting where jackson is without worrying about playoff points or losing a good non league game.

GrumpyPundit
Riding the Bench

Post by GrumpyPundit »

Has anyone reached out to Dugan from Oak Hill? He has a good run and isn’t coaching now.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

GrumpyPundit wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:03 pm
The County Resident wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:24 pm Who’s your suggestion then? Somebody internal I assume. Games? Phillips? Mendes? Garth Fry? Long? Hire?

Has anyone reached out to Dugan from Oak Hill? He has a good run and isn’t coaching now.
Talked to Dugan a couple weeks ago... he seemed to be enjoying being out for a bit

Sideline Sammy
Waterboy

Post by Sideline Sammy »

Have heard Paul Carver is interested. He would be a good fit to keep the kids excited and interested.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

This is the list of applicants that I have confirmed. Im sure there are more that I’m unaware of.

Shane Wellman (2015 VC HC)
Greg Phillips (DC last season and many years as a HC)
Garth Fry (Assistant coach at VC)
John Bowser (Assistant at multiple high schools and D3 College)

Rumored to have applied,

Rusty Richards
Jason Snider
Rod Bentley

Albundy33
Freshman Team

Post by Albundy33 »

Dundas who’s your front runner
Are there any dark horses

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Albundy33 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:34 pm Dundas who’s your front runner
I’d imagine Phillips would be the favorite as he was on staff last year and has head coaching experience. My dark horse would be Rod Bentley. He is a great leader and he also has twin boys that were in our program before he left a few years ago that would make a colossal impact on every sport they took part in.

Albundy33
Freshman Team

Post by Albundy33 »

Did games put in

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Albundy33 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:08 pm Did games put in
I’m told no.

Albundy33
Freshman Team

Post by Albundy33 »

Wow I figured he would be a shoe in from what I was told

VC94
Riding the Bench

Post by VC94 »

Dundas wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:41 pm
I’d imagine Phillips would be the favorite as he was on staff last year and has head coaching experience. My dark horse would be Rod Bentley. He is a great leader and he also has twin boys that were in our program before he left a few years ago that would make a colossal impact on every sport they took part in.
Only Dundas, who never plays a down in his life would think Bentley would be a good fit. The guy coached girls basketball, his daughters, the best classes that ever come thru VC. Therevhe h
Would be a good fit for the football job? Oh My

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC94 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:27 pm
Dundas wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:41 pm
Only Dundas, who never plays a down in his life would think Bentley would be a good fit. The guy coached girls basketball, his daughters, the best classes that ever come thru VC. Therevhe h
Would be a good fit for the football job? Oh My
Good to see you back VC94.

Return to “Football”