Rio Grande Bringing Back Football

Lonesome Polecat
Freshman Team

Re: Rio Grande Bringing Back Football

Post by Lonesome Polecat »

Rio could have had it all.....

......if they had gone with sprint football.

Seats in butts and no recruiting wars with in state schools. Everyone has those undersized players that are often the best football players on their high school teams. Cornering the market on the whole state of Ohio would have given them an enormous advantage over other schools with these programs in other states.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Hocking College added football sometime in the last decade. I initially thought it would be a great avenue for local football players to continue playing. Turns out, even community colleges recruit nationwide and very few players have actually come from the local area. They played their home games at Nelsonville-York's Boston Field, but have recently built an on-campus facility.

quizcap11
Waterboy

Post by quizcap11 »

madpolecat wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:18 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:57 pm Going for a high school coach isn’t going to accomplish anything. Coaching a homogenous group of high schoolers that you’ll have consistent upflow with from a JR high isn’t transferable to maintaining a program of adults (of various ages and backgrounds) — a program that you have to tie together, or else there’s upheaval in the locker room with adult personalities, with the added complications that the players can easily leave on their own (and they will) along with the resource exhaustion that comes with recruiting.

I don’t see SE Ohio being a fruitful area to emphasize recruiting in Rio’s case. There may be, what, 200 football-playing seniors annually across the region? That’s not a sizable number to concentrate recruiting towards when…

1) roughly half of those kids are going to be either in the trades, enlisting, intend on getting a degree through the OU system, or are going to bigger schools for undergrad;

2) there’s going to be overlap with the ‘I want to play X sport in college’ demographic in which those seniors are intending to play basketball or baseball instead somewhere in college;

3a) the marketplace of sub-FBS opportunities doesn’t bode well for Rio in recruiting whatever remaining percentage of kids want to keep playing football in college (20%? So, 40 kids in the region annually?) The abundance of D2 and D3’s in this state already is a challenge for RG. Those programs are more established and are in more geographically compact conferences. 3b) The NCAC and OAC schools are going to have generally more tools of persuasion (location; facilities; fraternities and network) than Rio for that pool of kids.

Adding football is going to be expensive. It’s bold, ambitious but very risky for a school like RG. The crucial part within getting the coach right is the coach has to be able to recruit, and retain, a roster of adults that otherwise wouldn’t be going to Rio. That’s going to require experience. Get the hire wrong and get someone who is inexperienced with the mores of small college football, and you have a disaster on your hands.
YES!!!

Rio will not be building a meaninful football program from just parts in SEO Ohio. Not that there aren't some good pieces here... there just aren't enough.

Look at URG hoops or track... see how many of those athletes come from with 50 miles.
Stupid take. 90% of their track roster is from Ohio. I’d say 80% within 50 miles.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

quizcap11 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:33 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:57 pm Going for a high school coach isn’t going to accomplish anything. Coaching a homogenous group of high schoolers that you’ll have consistent upflow with from a JR high isn’t transferable to maintaining a program of adults (of various ages and backgrounds) — a program that you have to tie together, or else there’s upheaval in the locker room with adult personalities, with the added complications that the players can easily leave on their own (and they will) along with the resource exhaustion that comes with recruiting.

I don’t see SE Ohio being a fruitful area to emphasize recruiting in Rio’s case. There may be, what, 200 football-playing seniors annually across the region? That’s not a sizable number to concentrate recruiting towards when…

1) roughly half of those kids are going to be either in the trades, enlisting, intend on getting a degree through the OU system, or are going to bigger schools for undergrad;

2) there’s going to be overlap with the ‘I want to play X sport in college’ demographic in which those seniors are intending to play basketball or baseball instead somewhere in college;

3a) the marketplace of sub-FBS opportunities doesn’t bode well for Rio in recruiting whatever remaining percentage of kids want to keep playing football in college (20%? So, 40 kids in the region annually?) The abundance of D2 and D3’s in this state already is a challenge for RG. Those programs are more established and are in more geographically compact conferences. 3b) The NCAC and OAC schools are going to have generally more tools of persuasion (location; facilities; fraternities and network) than Rio for that pool of kids.

Adding football is going to be expensive. It’s bold, ambitious but very risky for a school like RG. The crucial part within getting the coach right is the coach has to be able to recruit, and retain, a roster of adults that otherwise wouldn’t be going to Rio. That’s going to require experience. Get the hire wrong and get someone who is inexperienced with the mores of small college football, and you have a disaster on your hands.
YES!!!

Rio will not be building a meaninful football program from just parts in SEO Ohio. Not that there aren't some good pieces here... there just aren't enough.

Look at URG hoops or track... see how many of those athletes come from with 50 miles.
Stupid take. 90% of their track roster is from Ohio. I’d say 80% within 50 miles.
I will happily admit when and where I am wrong... when I was closer to Rio (grad school, teaching Comp), the track program certainly had some regional standouts (Robert, Perry), but the team wasn't nearly as local as it has become. And good for the Red Storm.

I see that the men finished second in the conference, and Paxton was named CoY.

Righteous!

I got bored and looked up the track rosters... about 50% of the program (15/29 men and 8/16 women) does come from just around 50 miles from Rio.

Again... Righteous!!!

Men's Basketball, as it played this past season, had three SEOhio kids out of a 17-man roster. (They have as many Australian players as they do SEOhio kids on the roster)

All that said, I still think that the football recruiting and roster will look more like basketball than the way the track roster looks.

Women's Volleyball is about 25% local (within 50 miles). If Rio carries that percentage (or even 1/3) of local kids over to football, that's still 25-33 kids... which sounds like a lot of kids, but they'll want 100 on the roster, and they'll have to go elsewhere to get them.

quizcap11
Waterboy

Post by quizcap11 »

madpolecat wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:39 pm

YES!!!

I will happily admit when and where I am wrong... when I was closer to Rio (grad school, teaching Comp), the track program certainly had some regional standouts (Robert, Perry), but the team wasn't nearly as local as it has become. And good for the Red Storm.

Righteous!

I got bored and looked up the track rosters... about 50% of the program (15/29 men and 8/16 women) does come from just around 50 miles from Rio.

Again... Righteous!!!

Men's Basketball, as it played this past season, had three SEOhio kids out of a 17-man roster. (They have as many Australian players as they do SEOhio kids on the roster)

All that said, I still think that the football recruiting and roster will look more like basketball than the way the track roster looks.

Women's Volleyball is about 25% local (within 50 miles). If Rio carries that percentage (or even 1/3) of local kids over to football, that's still 25-33 kids... which sounds like a lot of kids, but they'll want 100 on the roster, and they'll have to go elsewhere to get them.
Not sure why anyone would wanna run for that A-Hole however. If you’re good in southern Ohio, go to Shawnee.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

quizcap11 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:54 pm

Righteous!

Again... Righteous!!!

Not sure why anyone would wanna run for that A-Hole however. If you’re good in southern Ohio, go to Shawnee.
That’s an odd take.

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:16 pm
quizcap11 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:54 pm

Righteous!

Again... Righteous!!!

That’s an odd take.
Run for who? Coach Willie is gone, new coach isn't from here and his name is Paxton, and doing good things for the track team. Seen Shawnee compete, they are just mediocre.

slayter
Riding the Bench

Post by slayter »

Could honestly see a lot of young boys getting a chance to wear the pants and impress some guys. If they catch the right eye, could end up going to OU or even OSU, where the flags fly higher and there is a chance to slide into something they never would’ve got a chance to do!!! Good for RIO. Once RIO, always RIO.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

slayter wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:47 pm Could honestly see a lot of young boys getting a chance to wear the pants and impress some guys. If they catch the right eye, could end up going to OU or even OSU, where the flags fly higher and there is a chance to slide into something they never would’ve got a chance to do!!! Good for RIO. Once RIO, always RIO.

There will not be one kid that plays for Rio that could possibly play at Ohio State! #Truth

Return to “Football”