How "homegrown" is Wheelersburg football really?

Tri_State79
Varsity

How "homegrown" is Wheelersburg football really?

Post by Tri_State79 »

Hmmm?

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: How "homegrown" is Wheelersburg football really?

Post by wobycat »

Homegrown to me is any student that either started in that school or entered the school prior to junior high.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:12 pmHmmm?
Well let’s look at the stats:

- Burg currently has zero high school transfers on their team and only one on the team last year.

- Burg won the 1989 state title with zero transfers and all kids being homegrown. Also, Burg had closed borders during those years.

Now let’s look at the CB numbers for the upcoming season and compare Burg against the local teams on their schedule:
- Burg: 13
- IHS: 23
- West: 12
- Waverly: 9
- Oak Hill: 18
- Lucasville: 18
- Northwest: 4
- Minford: 10

So looking at all of these stats, clearly IHS benefits the most from high school recruits that move into the district and those that transfer into IHS from border schools.

As for the other SOC schools, Burg is middle of the pack with CB.

So to answer your question, Burg players are very much homegrown.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

Let’s be honest Burg is the best school in scioto county. A lot of families tend to send their kids to Burg even tho they graduated from a different HS in the county, the parents that I know that have kids in HS sports did not graduate from burg. They simply live in the burg district or commute their kid because it’s the best option for sports and academics

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Bfan99 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:52 pm Let’s be honest Burg is the best school in scioto county. A lot of families tend to send their kids to Burg even tho they graduated from a different HS in the county, the parents that I know that have kids in HS sports did not graduate from burg. They simply live in the burg district or commute their kid because it’s the best option for sports and academics
Burg has many generational kids; as much or more than other local schools.

Take example the current pitcher Heimbach. His dad and uncle are both Burg grads and his grandfather was a Burg principle.

Look at Burg’s softball and baseball team rosters. Many second+ generational kids: Lang, Skiver, Boggs, Eaton, Hutchinson, Howard, Heimbach…

Of course people move in and out of Burg like any community, but Burg has a lot of multi-generational kids hence why the culture remains the same.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

In past years, haven't the burg & Ironton been neck-and-neck with their CB numbers ? I believe they have (I could be wrong).
I see how you guys are defining "homegrown". But, how many kids do you have that actually reside in other nearby districts ? I'm not sure they can be called "homegrown".
*To be honest, I don't really know exactly how they get the CB numbers.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

LockHerUp wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:42 am In past years, haven't the burg & Ironton been neck-and-neck with their CB numbers ? I believe they have (I could be wrong).
I see how you guys are defining "homegrown". But, how many kids do you have that actually reside in other nearby districts ? I'm not sure they can be called "homegrown".
*To be honest, I don't really know exactly how they get the CB numbers.
Burg’s number fluctuates like everyone else’s. So let’s look at where we are today:
Now let’s look at the CB numbers for the upcoming season and compare Burg against the local teams on their schedule:
- Burg: 13
- IHS: 23
- West: 12
- Waverly: 9
- Oak Hill: 18
- Lucasville: 18
- Northwest: 4
- Minford: 10

Start with the SOC. No one questions OH and Lucasville about their numbers even though they have the highest in the conference. Burg is close to West and Minford, yet no one is questioning them either. Plus, these numbers don’t include kids who change high schools and move into the district which Burg currently has zero.

Now let’s compare Ironton. CB doesn’t tell the story with regards to IHS since many of their “transfers” move into the district and don’t count against their CB; IHS’s top transfers were considered “homegrown” looking at just CB.

So take Ironton’s CB and add at least 7 kids who have moved into the district, and that puts Ironton’s number around 30 not “homegrown”. Assuming 70 players on next year’s team, that equates to over 40% of Ironton’s roster is not “homegrown.”

Do the same with Burg assuming around 70 players, and the percentage comes out to around 19%. This is not only substantially lower than Ironton, it is also much lower than West, Minford, Waverly, Lucasville, and Oak Hill’s numbers (as a percent).

So to put this question to rest, Burg has one of the most “homegrown” teams in the entire area.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Let it be known everyone: if you add a bunch of transfers for Ironton, and none for Wheelersburg, then the numbers are much different. Thanks for the math.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 pm Let it be known everyone: if you add a bunch of transfers for Ironton, and none for Wheelersburg, then the numbers are much different. Thanks for the math.
That because IHS typically has many transfers that move in just for football. I low balled it with 7 on the team for any given year, but since that seemed to offend you, let’s pretend IHS has zero kids that have moved in to play football. Let’s pretend Perkins, Keyes, Felder, Copas, Thacker, Pittman, Washington, and any other move-ins I did not list had never occurred:

- IHS roster of “non-homegrown” = 23/70 = 33%

So again, IHS percentage of “non-homegrown” only using CB is still very high compared to Wheelersburg.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Who gives a poop!

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

osu 77 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:57 am Who gives a poop!
Obviously the Ironton fan who started this post.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:17 am
TigerBob wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 pm Let it be known everyone: if you add a bunch of transfers for Ironton, and none for Wheelersburg, then the numbers are much different. Thanks for the math.
That because IHS typically has many transfers that move in just for football. I low balled it with 7 on the team for any given year, but since that seemed to offend you, let’s pretend IHS has zero kids that have moved in to play football. Let’s pretend Perkins, Keyes, Felder, Copas, Thacker, Pittman, Washington, and any other move-ins I did not list had never occurred:

So again, IHS percentage of “non-homegrown” only using CB is still very high compared to Wheelersburg.
I thought wheelersburg was a top elite academic school in Ohio? Did the burg fans on seops exaggerate that too? Lmao

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/c ... ld-report/

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:51 pm

I thought wheelersburg was a top elite academic school in Ohio? Did the burg fans on seops exaggerate that too? Lmao

Nope. Here’s the site where you can search any high school in the state and see its ranking.

Burg is 5 stars according to the state of Ohio, but kudos to you for stepping up over and over again despite always being wrong.

https://reportcard.education.ohio.gov/

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:08 pm

Nope. Here’s the site where you can search any high school in the state and see its ranking.

Burg is 5 stars according to the state of Ohio, but kudos to you for stepping up over and over again despite always being wrong.

Ehh. Idk. I'm reluctant. lol

Idk lol. I have seen this fanbase sell a lotta wolf tickets sir. Respectfully. If it's softball... I'm in. Take my money. Lol. Anything else? Ehh idk.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

Lets me ask ya something. If these burg kids have better academics than the Ironton kids, & better community, and better coaching and better home lives and literally a larger enrollment and more people moving into whatever they call that area now ( houses being built I read on this site ) Then why is Ironton pretty much outperforming Burg head to head AND overall pretty much consistently every year & fckn historically in this sport? Why? Lol

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:35 pm

Idk lol. I have seen this fanbase sell a lotta wolf tickets sir. Respectfully. If it's softball... I'm in. Take my money. Lol. Anything else? Ehh idk.
Don’t blame you for not checking out the site. The IHS academic report card is downright ugly!

Btw, applying your criteria for Burg to IHS, you obviously haven’t celebrated any Ironton accomplishments since 1989. That’s rough!

So how many Ironton “wolf tickets” have you bought over the past 35 years?

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

I guess I feel like lil sister can scream at the top of her lungs until she turns blue. She can wear her pirate hat and shake her jugs. Lmao. But she is still going to ALWAYS be lil sis.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:47 pm
Tri_State79 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:35 pm

Don’t blame you for not checking out the site. The IHS academic report card is downright ugly!

Btw, applying your criteria for Burg to IHS, you obviously haven’t celebrated any Ironton accomplishments since 1989. That’s rough!

So how many Ironton “wolf tickets” have you bought over the past 35 years?
Do ya ever get the feeling that lil break Ironton took during the vass years where burg got the local spotlight for the 1st time ever warped the fanbase? It was a good & SHORT run. Can't take that away. But it has sorta messed the burg fan base up a little on...ykno... who is who. Feel me? Lol
Last edited by Tri_State79 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 pm I guess I feel like lil sister can scream at the top of her lungs until she turns blue. She can wear her pirate hat and shake her jugs. Lmao. But she is still going to ALWAYS be lil sis.
Except lil sis has the hardware and the academic achievements. Big sis is accomplishing nothing. Just all talk as usual.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:52 pm
Tri_State79 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 pm I guess I feel like lil sister can scream at the top of her lungs until she turns blue. She can wear her pirate hat and shake her jugs. Lmao. But she is still going to ALWAYS be lil sis.
Except lil sis has the hardware and the academic achievements. Big sis is accomplishing nothing. Just all talk as usual.
Last time I checked lil sis was CHALK for Ironton & Jackson & Prep. Straight chalk. Lol All the achieving is done? Bored? Wanna try losing for a lil bit? I can't tell.

Return to “Football”