How "homegrown" is Wheelersburg football really?

Tri_State79
Varsity

Re: How "homegrown" is Wheelersburg football really?

Post by Tri_State79 »

efarns wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:25 pm As someone on the other side of the region, I don't understand why this keeps being a point of discussion. Wheelersburg clearly has strong programs, and if you think it's mainly because of some transfers, you don't understand how football teams win. They can augment an already strong program, but it's icing on the cake, not the main course. If neighboring programs were better, their players would stay. Your team isn't going to the playoffs because those three kids changed teams.
So the same would go for Ironton also correct?

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:10 pm
efarns wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:25 pm As someone on the other side of the region, I don't understand why this keeps being a point of discussion. Wheelersburg clearly has strong programs, and if you think it's mainly because of some transfers, you don't understand how football teams win. They can augment an already strong program, but it's icing on the cake, not the main course. If neighboring programs were better, their players would stay. Your team isn't going to the playoffs because those three kids changed teams.
No. See stats that I posted for details.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

I'm not sure what you mean. Ironton's program is better than 99% of the region. They also get transfers. That's athletes and families exercising the power of choice, and they choose Ironton. As much as I do appreciate loyalty to your hometown school, I can certainly understand wanting your child to learn what it means to succeed in a great program. Criticizing Ironton and Wheelersburg for transfers is a backhanded way of criticizing them for being really good.

Jawnjkang98
Waterboy

Post by Jawnjkang98 »

efarns wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:26 am
I'm not sure what you mean. Ironton's program is better than 99% of the region. They also get transfers. That's athletes and families exercising the power of choice, and they choose Ironton. As much as I do appreciate loyalty to your hometown school, I can certainly understand wanting your child to learn what it means to succeed in a great program. Criticizing Ironton and Wheelersburg for transfers is a backhanded way of criticizing them for being really good.
I agree 1000% why do so so many on here try to criticize Ironton for this?

Jawnjkang98
Waterboy

Post by Jawnjkang98 »

I don't really understand why so many wheelersburg fans on this site criticize Ironton for this so often if they both do it. Any idea?

Daman13
Waterboy

Post by Daman13 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:16 pm
Bfan99 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:52 pm Let’s be honest Burg is the best school in scioto county. A lot of families tend to send their kids to Burg even tho they graduated from a different HS in the county, the parents that I know that have kids in HS sports did not graduate from burg. They simply live in the burg district or commute their kid because it’s the best option for sports and academics
Burg has many generational kids; as much or more than other local schools.

Take example the current pitcher Heimbach. His dad and uncle are both Burg grads and his grandfather was a Burg principle.

Look at Burg’s softball and baseball team rosters. Many second+ generational kids: Lang, Skiver, Boggs, Eaton, Hutchinson, Howard, Heimbach…

Of course people move in and out of Burg like any community, but Burg has a lot of multi-generational kids hence why the culture remains the same.
Hutchinson ain't a generational talent for baseball football I will give it to him but not baseball

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

I agree 1000% I wonder why so many wheelersburg fans on seops criticize Ironton for it? So that means they are criticizing Ironton for being REALLY good then, correct?

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

The post above you from a burg fan says that Ironton has to be criticized for it but burg should be celebrated and praised for it. Is that how it works on here or in southeast ohio?

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:54 am

The post above you from a burg fan says that Ironton has to be criticized for it but burg should be celebrated and praised for it. Is that how it works on here or in southeast ohio?
Where did I say Burg should be celebrated and praised and IHS should be criticized? 🤦‍♂️

The difference between Burg and IHS in this matter? Burg’s program does not rely on high school transfers to be competitive. Their program is competitive regardless of transfers; have even won a state title with closed borders and zero transfers. If by chance they do get a transfer in like last year, it is the icing on top as described by the poster.

IHS’s program is different. It is very much dependent on high school transfers to be competitive. Without those, it is an above average OVC team but not a regional contender. And even with the influx of talent, IHS has not been able to win the state title since ‘89. These high school transfers for IHS are not the icing on the cake for IHS, they are the cake because without them, IHS program becomes uncompetitive in the region very quickly.

If Burg had the high school transfers IHS has received, Burg would definitely have another state title or two. And if the top small schools (Kirtland, ML, etc) had such talent, they would be downright scary.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:42 pm

Where did I say Burg should be celebrated and praised and IHS should be criticized? 🤦‍♂️

The difference between Burg and IHS in this matter? Burg’s program does not rely on high school transfers to be competitive. Their program is competitive regardless of transfers; have even won a state title with closed borders and zero transfers. If by chance they do get a transfer in like last year, it is the icing on top as described by the poster.

IHS’s program is different. It is very much dependent on high school transfers to be competitive. Without those, it is an above average OVC team but not a regional contender. And even with the influx of talent, IHS has not been able to win the state title since ‘89. These high school transfers for IHS are not the icing on the cake for IHS, they are the cake because without them, IHS program becomes uncompetitive in the region very quickly.

If Burg had the high school transfers IHS has received, Burg would definitely have another state title or two. And if the top small schools (Kirtland, ML, etc) had such talent, they would be downright scary.
Gettin out of their own region only 3 times in the last 30 years or so is competitive? Are you sure?

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:48 pm
RBH23 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:42 pm

Gettin out of their own region only 3 times in the last 30 years or so is competitive? Are you sure?
Yes. Very confident in that.

IHS coaches should be embarrassed for not winning a title with their recent talent.

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:17 am
TigerBob wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 pm Let it be known everyone: if you add a bunch of transfers for Ironton, and none for Wheelersburg, then the numbers are much different. Thanks for the math.
That because IHS typically has many transfers that move in just for football. I low balled it with 7 on the team for any given year, but since that seemed to offend you, let’s pretend IHS has zero kids that have moved in to play football. Let’s pretend Perkins, Keyes, Felder, Copas, Thacker, Pittman, Washington, and any other move-ins I did not list had never occurred:

- IHS roster of “non-homegrown” = 23/70 = 33%

So again, IHS percentage of “non-homegrown” only using CB is still very high compared to Wheelersburg.
Man you are awful sore over Transfers ain't you that's all you talk about who cares who gets Transfers every school I don't care who you are gets Transfers. nobody cares I'm pretty sure everyone is tired of hearing about it. it's the same old excuse people have used for the last 40 or 50 years you are beating a dead horse so just drop it that's not even a good argument or excuse anymore sounds to me like you and whoever is trying to sart a argument. People Don't want to get on here and argue about Transfers they want to talk Football and positive and Productive things.

Go Ironton Fighting Tigers, GoTexas Longhorns
IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

RBH23 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:52 pm
Tri_State79 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 pm I guess I feel like lil sister can scream at the top of her lungs until she turns blue. She can wear her pirate hat and shake her jugs. Lmao. But she is still going to ALWAYS be lil sis.
Except lil sis has the hardware and the academic achievements. Big sis is accomplishing nothing. Just all talk as usual.
Who Cares

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

I really Hope Ironton and Wheelersburg Quit Playing soon Because all You see when You get on this Site is a Bunch Grown Men acting Like Crybabies over a Kids game I think that there is a lot more Important things to worry about in this world than High School Football.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:38 pm
TigerBob wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 pm Let it be known everyone: if you add a bunch of transfers for Ironton, and none for Wheelersburg, then the numbers are much different. Thanks for the math.
That because IHS typically has many transfers that move in just for football. I low balled it with 7 on the team for any given year, but since that seemed to offend you, let’s pretend IHS has zero kids that have moved in to play football. Let’s pretend Perkins, Keyes, Felder, Copas, Thacker, Pittman, Washington, and any other move-ins I did not list had never occurred:

So again, IHS percentage of “non-homegrown” only using CB is still very high compared to Wheelersburg.
Man you are awful sore over Transfers ain't you that's all you talk about who cares who gets Transfers every school I don't care who you are gets Transfers. nobody cares I'm pretty sure everyone is tired of hearing about it. it's the same old excuse people have used for the last 40 or 50 years you are beating a dead horse so just drop it that's not even a good argument or excuse anymore sounds to me like you and whoever is trying to sart a argument. People Don't want to get on here and argue about Transfers they want to talk Football and positive and Productive things.
Wait a second, I didn’t start this thread. Someone from Ironton did. So maybe you want to lecture that person.

All I did was bring data to the debate. Sorry that the numbers upset you.

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

RBH23 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:45 pm

Wait a second, I didn’t start this thread. Someone from Ironton did. So maybe you want to lecture that person.

Numbers don't upset me I don't care about numbers. I just don't care who has what numbers and I don't care who's homegrown all I care about is the kids have fun and results. I have also seen where people trash Ironton and the School on here alot and it's not right and if somebody says something back everybody gets butt hurt and starts crying about Transfers who cares people need to stop trying to prove something on the Internet and let the players settle it on the field.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:55 pm

Numbers don't upset me I don't care about numbers. I just don't care who has what numbers and I don't care who's homegrown all I care about is the kids have fun and results. I have also seen where people trash Ironton and the School on here alot and it's not right and if somebody says something back everybody gets butt hurt and starts crying about Transfers who cares people need to stop trying to prove something on the Internet and let the players settle it on the field.
Again, I didn’t start this thread. A person from Ironton did!!

This is a chronic problem with some Ironton posters. They toss an insult at another school (such as this thread), but then get upset when said posters defend their school.

If you want to read nice things about Ironton, a thread created by an Ironton fan to insult Burg is probably not the best place.

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

RBH23 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:24 pm
IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:55 pm

Again, I didn’t start this thread. A person from Ironton did!!

This is a chronic problem with some Ironton posters. They toss an insult at another school (such as this thread), but then get upset when said posters defend their school.

If you want to read nice things about Ironton, a thread created by an Ironton fan to insult Burg is probably not the best place.

You cant post anything on here good about Ironton because you get your head tore off if you do. That's why a lot of Ironton Posters left this site because of the BS people Say to them about Ironton. Plus Ironton fans can Never say anything because that crap. That Junk is what has just about got me to where I hate football and I pretty much dread Football Season every year.
Last edited by IrontonTigers#1 on Sun May 05, 2024 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Tri_State79 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:51 am

I agree 1000% I wonder why so many wheelersburg fans on seops criticize Ironton for it? So that means they are criticizing Ironton for being REALLY good then, correct?
Do you care what Wheelersburg fans think about your team? You don't answer to them. They don't answer to you.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

efarns wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:48 pm
Tri_State79 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:51 am

Do you care what Wheelersburg fans think about your team? You don't answer to them. They don't answer to you.
That’s a great point. However many seem to care greatly. So much so that they come onto a thread insulting Burg to complain about the insults directed at Ironton. 🤦‍♂️

Return to “Football”