Quest For The Cup 09-10

Black Panther
SEO

Re: Quest For The Cup 09-10

Post by Black Panther »

Yeah maybe losing the first game is a good omen...In the 1991 cup run the Pens lost all four first games and won the cup... The Habs or Sharks better win it! I dont want philly or chi to be holding that cup! philly for obvious reasons and chi because of crybaby marion hossa...

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

I hope. The boys in orange ran all over and bullied the Habs like I thought the Caps would in round one we are to small up front and are hurting to much on D due to injuries ;-) Go Habs

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

There is only 1 good thing about hockey in Philly, that is the video tape of Kate Smith singing God Bless America before the game. After that, it isn't worth warm beer.

Pulling Halak will give him a spark. As D-5 said, we have seen this before.

LETS GO HABS!!! (anybody but the Flyers)

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Flyers 3 Habs 0 :( Orange crushed :122248

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

[quote="Mister B"]There is only 1 good thing about hockey in Philly, that is the video tape of Kate Smith singing God Bless America before the game. After that, it isn't worth warm beer. Pulling Halak will give him a spark. As D-5 said, we have seen this before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO3gPUn2 ... re=related (that is the video tape of Kate Smith singing God Bless America before the game)

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

You have got to love Kate Smith. She bought the rights to the song and made a good singing career even better. Philly fans may boo Santa but they love Kate. God bless her and RIP.

Hope the Habs get off the snide and win game 3.

LETS GO HABS!!!

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Habs 5 Flyers 1 :-D Go Habs

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

D-5 wrote:Habs 5 Flyers 1 :-D Go Habs

MOLSONS!!!

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Flyers 3 Habs 0 :(

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Ouch! It's looking more and more like cry baby marion and the clowns in orange in the finals.Oh well....

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I find it interesting that the whenever the Flyers ice the puck they almost always have a player that has a "skate issue" and they get a sub in for them. You are not allowed to ice the puck and sub unless the other team subs-out. Typical Philly hockey.

LETS GO HABS!!!

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Surging Flyers return to Stanley Cup Final Monday, 05.24.2010 / 10:10 PM Shawn P. Roarke -
Ending a 13-year drought, the Philadelphia Flyers booked passage to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 1997, taking a 4-2 decision from Montreal in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Final at Wachovia Center.

Now, the seventh-seeded Flyers travel to Chicago for Saturday's opening game of the 2010 Stanley Cup Final. The Blackhawks, the No. 2 seed in the West, made their date for the Final with a stunning sweep of the top-seeded San Jose Sharks, which ended with Sunday's 4-2 win in Game 4.

"It's been great so far," Flyers captain Mike Richards said in an on-ice interview immediately following the game. "Obviously the journey hasn't ended, hopefully we have a little of a Cinderella story at end. We have to prepare for Chicago now. It feels good."

Philadelphia ended a Cinderella ride by the Canadiens that had seen No. 8 Montreal upset both the East's top-seeded team, the Washington Capitals, and the defending Stanley Cup champion, the Pittsburgh Penguins.

But Montreal had no magic left in this round, shut out in 9 of the first 12 periods of this series to fall into a three-games-to-one hole that proved to be too much after rallies from 3-1 and 3-2 deficits in the previous two series.

"It's tough when you put things together and make things happen and end up coming up short," defenseman Hal Gill said.

Philadelphia used the workmanlike effort that has come to characterize this team to earn the Prince of Wales Trophy, as well as the right to chase its first title since the Broad Street Bullies claimed Lord Stanley's chalice in 1975.

It was a victory built on opportunistic offense, rock-solid defense and often brilliant goaltending by Michael Leighton. Just as importantly, it was built on the sweat of a penalty kill that turned the tide of the game and the sweat of all 20 players as they did everything necessary to outlast Montreal on Monday night.

Richards began Philadelphia's only comeback of the series when he tied the game at the 4:31 mark of the second period with his patented hustle.

Killing a penalty to Kimmo Timonen, Claude Giroux cleared the zone without intention. But Richards never gave up on the play as the puck skittered into the Montreal zone. Suddenly, he had a step on defenseman Roman Hamrlik for the puck, forcing goalie Jaroslav Halak to come charging out in a bold attempt to play the puck.

Amazingly, all three players arrived at the puck -- at the top of the right faceoff circle -- at the same time in a pretty violent pile-up. The puck, meanwhile careened on toward goal and somehow, Richards was the first one up off the deck, able to corral the puck and deposit in the vacated net.

It was Philadelphia's first shorthanded goal of the postseason.

"I was just watching him to see if he came out," Richards said during the first intermission. "He did and I just tried to poke it by him. I don't know what happened with it, but the puck ended up back on my stick and I was able to put it in. I think we came out a little tentative, maybe a little bit nervous.

That goal from Richards, his sixth of the postseason, erased the momentum Montreal had gained when Brian Gionta scored in the game's opening minute.

Flyer defenseman Chris Pronger made an ill-conceived clearing pass that was intercepted by Hamrlik in the neutral zone. He turned it the other way with a quick pass to Scott Gomez at the blue line. Gomez, delaying, found Gionta with a step on defenseman Matt Carle and back-checking forward Blair Betts. Gionta then went five-hole against Michael Leighton, who had three shutouts in his past four games, and gave Montreal a 1-0 lead on just its second shot, 59 seconds into Game 5.

The Canadiens, who were 5-0 in elimination games this season, held on for the rest of the period; but succumbed to the Flyers non-stop pressure in the second period.

Third-liner Aaron Asham, perhaps the unlikeliest candidate, gave Philadelphia its first lead of the night when Montreal's Andrei Kostitsyn made a terrible turnover by not clearing the zone. Carle kept the puck in and then calmly found Asham on the left doorstep of Halak's crease. Despite having just two goals this postseason, Asham showed a goal-scorer's skill and patience by roofing one over a helpless Halak.

"I only have one move," Asham said.

Asham's goal was started by the brave play of Ian Laperriere, who blocked a PK Subban shot to start action in the other direction. Laperriere, you might remember, blocked a Paul Martin shot with his face in the first round, resulting in a brain contusion and close to 70 stitches. He just returned to the lineup in Game 4 of this series, yet was willing to once again put his body in harm's way for the good of his team.

Richards was then the driving force behind Montreal's third goal, just 84 seconds after Asham scored.

Jeff Carter, also back from injury, started and finished the sequence. He began with a nifty pass to an on-rushing Timonen, who found Richards camped behind the goal line to the right of Halak's net. Timonen dished the puck and drove the net, backing Gill into Halak's line of vision just as Richards passed to Carter for a devastating one-timer.

And just like that, the impossible-to-kill Canadiens were dead. Gomez would bring them to within a goal 6:53 into the third, but Carter added the empty-net goal with 22.1 seconds remaining.

"It's pretty special," Pronger said. "We're four wins away from what our goal was when we set out, so we'll soak this one in tonight and start preparing (for Chicago) tomorrow. It's been quite a ride so far."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a good run for The Habs :-D Can't wait for next season Go Habs

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Congrats on the great run D5! Next year will be interesting..

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I hate the Flyers, dislike the Blackhawks except for their white jerseys. Philly and Chicago fans are a strange bunch. I won't be going out of my way to watch this series. I will be in Chicago week after next so I guess I will pull for the Hawks. Every sport in Chicago takes a backseat to the Cubs and Bears, in that order even when these 2 stink, like most years.

Neither team brings much to the table in my opinion. I will give Philly some credit for the fact their coach was the captain of the USA Olympic hockey team in 1996.

If you had to pick a team for team of the year, the Habs get my vote. Beat Washington and Pittsburgh while they were the 8 seed. Very good Cup run.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS
2010 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS :aaaaa108

rivercat
Freshman Team

Post by rivercat »

rivercat wrote:Wonder what kind of confidence and energy (or lack of) the Olympic players will bring back to their respective teams? Will Ovechkin be affected by his poor performance? How fired up will Sid and the Canadien boys be if they come back to win the gold? Should make for an interesting couple of weeks after the break.

Give the cup to...Chicago.

Wow, mark the date 2/26/10, finally got one right! I think I'll play the lottery this week.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Jun 18 G Jaroslav Halak was traded to St. Louis for two prospects because the Canadiens still consider Carey Price their goalie of the future. Yes, Halak is only 25, and, yes, he played exceptionally well in the Stanley Cup playoffs while Price has been a disappointment. But Price is only 22 and is still considered quite a prospect himself. Both goaltenders were eligible to become restricted free agents on July 1, and the Canadiens couldn't afford them both. The prospects the Canadiens got -- forwards Lars Eller and Ian Schultz -- both were upper-echelon draft picks. Eller was the 13th pick in the first round in 2007, and Schultz was taken in the third round in 2008. :?:

rivercat
Freshman Team

Post by rivercat »

I watched it as well.I also thought it was interesting that in all of his infinate wisdom, Doug McLean said he thought Kyle Turris should have been the number 1 pick over Kane.

Return to “Pro Sports”