SEOPS

Re: Pre-Super Bowl NFL Champions

Post by Dundas »

Amen!

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

I'm a Brownie too and it seems (and always has) obvious to me. Anyone with half a brain can see this and have to agree but I am sure some won't agree with it just for the sake of argument or to make their teams dismal performances seem justified. Sports existed prior to the age of marketing and big business and in my opinion, sports were alot more pure and had to be much more fun to follow back then.

However, I am not, and I am sure no Browns fan is either, happy with the past few DECADES of hard luck and even more consistantly bad teams. Tides will change and things will come around in Cleveland, question is how much longer will it take????

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Actually, using your logic, Cleveland is an expansion team as well. the Browns franchise, that moved to Baltimore, has won a SuperBowl.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Oh my God, thanks 85 for opening that can of worms.

Hey, if anybody found that dead horse, I'd like to kick the crap out of it some more!!!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Well La-Di-Frickin-Da!

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

gahs4ever wrote:RE: Expansion teams

If you go to the Pro Football HOF in Canton, up on the second floor there is a room with mini histories of every NFL franchise. If you look at the Cleveland Browns display it says 1946-95, 99-present. Conversely the Balitomore Ravens display says 1996-present. Point? Modell did not take the history of his franchise with him in the move. In that regard the Ravens are the expansion franchise.

In Cleveland, every year they bring back the stars of the past from those still living of the Paul Brown years to players like the Pruitts, Sipe, Kosar, Warfield, right up to the present. In Baltimore, the former Colts stars like Unitas have no history or identity with the Ravens. They played for the Colts and the Colts are in Indy. Former Colts players have no ties or identity with Indy.

And as for the dead horse, you can give yourself a good swift kick. You get all defensive when Browns fans dont appreciate the Bengals, but when was the last time you or any of your Bengal fans gave one ounce of respect for the Browns? Quid pro quo.

I used to root for both the Bengals and the Browns and in fact have been to more games in Cincy than Cleveland. I also used to go to Bengals training camp every year when they were in Wilmington. It wasnt until I had to put up with ignorant Bengals fans at work and on here that they wouldnt stand for anyone rooting for both teams. You had to pick a side (hatfields and McCoys) and I stayed with the team of my youth. And even though they've broken my heart every year for 46 years, I dont regret the choice one bit.

I will be buried wearing my Browns colors and with my memorabilia. More than half of the Bengals fans now carrying on were in hibernation before Marvin Lewis hit town. Now everyone is a died in the wool Bengals fan. I call those people front runners and bandwagon jumpers onners. Ive stayed the course through every frustrating season.
So what gives you the right to call bengal fans bandwagon jumpers. You dont know that i put bengal banners on my deck EVERY YEAR. I have bengals plates on my car that stays every year. My golf cart at the river doesnt hide its orange color and stripes. My black truck with its orange and black B doesnt come off. And yet i dont see any browns stuff for quite a few years. I would say it works both ways. browns lose, you see less. bengals lose you see less. But they are still fans just because they dont wear there colors all the time.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

I started watching NFL football with interest when I was in 3rd grade, that was the season before Boomer and Ickey took the
Bengals to the super bowl.

I was a Reds fan already, and logically I decided I was going to be a Bengal fan because they were in the same city.
I knew nothing of their history, nothing of their roster, and nothing of their potential for the next 2-3 years.

I made the decision blind based on my love for the city of Cincy and the Reds, and I have never went back on it.

Superbowl my second year as a fan, tough loss. the decade of the 90's, yep that sucked, Sam the Man reminding people the aren't from Cleveland...Awesome!

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:I started watching NFL football with interest when I was in 3rd grade, that was the season before Boomer and Ickey took the
Bengals to the super bowl.

I was a Reds fan already, and logically I decided I was going to be a Bengal fan because they were in the same city.
I knew nothing of their history, nothing of their roster, and nothing of their potential for the next 2-3 years.

I made the decision blind based on my love for the city of Cincy and the Reds, and I have never went back on it.

Superbowl my second year as a fan, tough loss. the decade of the 90's, yep that sucked, Sam the Man reminding people the aren't from Cleveland...Awesome!
Just about the same, reds fan and decided to be a bengals fans , because all the browns fans were loud and rude.
I didnt want to be one of them. But I am from ohio . reds,bengals,ohio state.

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

reliob
Freshman Team

Post by reliob »

I was a Bengals and Browns fan until i went to work in chillicothe,and all the browns fans told me i had to choose,because i couldnt be a Cleveland fan if i liked the Bengals.So being the nice guy i am i chose the Bengals over the browns ,because i didnt think i could be a big enough a_ _hole to be a Browns fan.LOL

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

It's not that we don't like your posts gahs, they're usually informative, very well thought out, and
make great points.

It's just that, if you take away all the posts you've ever made about the Browns and how they ARE NFL champions,
and references to the late 50's and early 60's. Then you'd lose half your post count.

We get the point, the horse is dead, and the Browns will never again rise to the level that they once were.
To their credit though, no team will ever rise to the level that the Browns once were (pre-super bowl).

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Bengals fans acknowledge the Browns history, but we're* not Browns fans.

Since we're* not Browns fans, their history doesn't mean crap to us.

*For purposes of this post "we're" should be read as "Bengals Fans"

reliob
Freshman Team

Post by reliob »

Gahs4ever i always read your posts ,and agree with what you are saying more times than not. If you keep posting on this thread that is subject to change.LOL

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

So how does it feel getting your Browns thread highjacked.

Seems that Browns fans and Steelers fans do it all the time to the Bengals threads.

What's good for the goose...

The General
All State

Post by The General »

The Cleveland Browns and the Cincinnati Reds are Ohio sports. The college Buckeyes are are way more hype than the the truth and the Bengals allowed The Bumbler and Wyche to ruin any chance for goodwill in this state. A"true" Ohioan loves the Reds,Browns,and Grandmas apple pie and not necessarily in any order.

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

Well, has someone told the farmer he has a dead horse, AND that someone is kicking it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

I am a Bengals fan foremost, but I like to see the Browns do well. I don't really consider them a rival since we've never been in contention at the same time. I will root for the Browns if they're on but I don't buy jersey's or make it a point to catch every game like I do with the Bengals.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

The General wrote:The Cleveland Browns and the Cincinnati Reds are Ohio sports. The college Buckeyes are are way more hype than the the truth and the Bengals allowed The Bumbler and Wyche to ruin any chance for goodwill in this state. A"true" Ohioan loves the Reds,Browns,and Grandmas apple pie and not necessarily in any order.
My sentiments also: Reds(first baseball team), Browns(first Ohio football team), period. As far as the Buckeyes I know they are overhyped just about every year and I guess they'll just keep scheduling the Kent States and Ohio U's of the world outside the little nine and the big 2 until they can win another "major" bowl game. They'd better hurry up though because Nebraska is coming soon. ;-)

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Before I rooted for ANY team, I loved the Browns. It has been a tough relationship to maintain and I don't have the same puppy-love affection I used to ever since Modell highjacked the original team but it is time to stop living in the past. For God's sake, let's win a Super Bowl. Oh, and about those brown pants..... :evil: :evil: :evil:

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
The General wrote:The Cleveland Browns and the Cincinnati Reds are Ohio sports. The college Buckeyes are are way more hype than the the truth and the Bengals allowed The Bumbler and Wyche to ruin any chance for goodwill in this state. A"true" Ohioan loves the Reds,Browns,and Grandmas apple pie and not necessarily in any order.
My sentiments also: Reds(first baseball team), Browns(first Ohio football team), period. As far as the Buckeyes I know they are overhyped just about every year and I guess they'll just keep scheduling the Kent States and Ohio U's of the world outside the little nine and the big 2 until they can win another "major" bowl game. They'd better hurry up though because Nebraska is coming soon. ;-)
You are wrong about browns first football team. Bengals had a team in 1936. I will post .

Return to “Pro Sports”