LEWIS DEFENDS BENSON

ace63
SE

LEWIS DEFENDS BENSON

Post by ace63 »

Posted 10 hours ago

aaUpdated: 8 p.m.

Lewis
Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis on Tuesday defended two of his players charged recently in bar fights, saying that running back Cedric Benson and wide receiver Maurice Purify were jumped.

In an interview with Bengals.com and The Cincinnati Enquirer previewing next week’s opening of training camp, Lewis was clearly upset at the circumstances of Benson's case. He was hot that he was even asked if he thought Benson would be suspended by the NFL.

“I don’t even know why we bring that up,” Lewis said. “To me, it’s unbelievable. It wouldn’t be brought up in 31 other cites in the country I don’t think.”

Lewis also gave no indication the club is interested in free-agent wide receiver Terrell Owens.

“I don’t want to speak (about Terrell). We’ve been down that road,” Lewis said. “I don’t have a concern that we need to add anybody (at receiver).”

Asked if he thinks Benson is going to be suspended for any games following an assault charge, Lewis left no doubt where he stands. The league said Tuesday it is still investigating the incident that occured in a Texas bar in late May.

“The truth about Cedric is that he got sucker-punched in a bar. Cedric got attacked in a bar,” Lewis said. “Only because it was Cedric Benson does it become news. I think that’s something you have to understand. Same thing with Purify. A guy swung at Purify.

“Every one of these situations needs to be dealt with individually. Until all the facts are on the table can any judgments be made on that. They have to constantly be able to walk away. When two guys didn’t walk away totally, this is what happens. And they‘re not necessarily in the wrong, but they‘re a little bit wrong in my standards for not walking away totally. But they were not the initiator in any of these cases.”

85inside
S

Re: LEWIS DEFENDS BENSON

Post by 85inside »

If these were "allegations" they would certainly be suspended by the Commish. However, since it really happened and it's the Bengals and they are expected to behave this way, they will not be suspended.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

who has been peein in your cheerios the last couple of month's 85.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Sorry Bait, but I divorced the Bengals three years ago. I waited for Mike Brown to die or sell the franchise, but he didnt do either. He made a mockery of what his dad built. The Bengals are useless thugs.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

gahs4ever wrote:Sounds pretty simple to me. If Benson is charged, he should at least be suspended (given his history). If no charges are filed or he is not convicted, I dont know how the union would stand for disciplining an unconvicted player.
As far as Owens goes...one can only hope he signs with Cincy. He is on the downside of a productive career when he shut his big fat mouth; which wasnt often. The man has played for some winning NFL programs (SF, Phila, Dallas to name a few) and his antics never made his talent worth putting up with. He is a cancer who never grew up and has worn out his welcome every single place he's gone.

I doubt that Belichick could do anything with him, and he did a great job with another talented troublemaker named Moss. Owens and Chad Johnson on the same team......calling Dr Phil!

There is something to be said for chemistry and people like Owens like to blow up the labs.

The "union" had no trouble with Roethlisberger getting suspended. He was not charged with a crime.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

haters, sorry they swept you all last year.lol.

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:haters, sorry they swept you all last year.lol.

And the jealousy continues.

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

Its almost that time of the year again, bengals will be playing aug 8th in canton. That is real soon.
I go to some athens games, Is gallia on schedule this year ???? I would have to give the edge to bengals ,when they play browns. Bengals had a good running game. The passing game is changing this year. Will be using TE more.
I see your feeling alot better, Lets hope you stay that way.
The defense was ranked 4th last year. I would probley bet lunch.
Last edited by ace63 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

ace63 wrote:Its almost that time of the year again, bengals will be playing aug 8th in canton. That is real soon.
I go to some athens games, Is gallia on schedule this year ???? I would have to give the edge to bengals ,when they play browns. Bengals had a good running game. The passing game is changing this year. Will be using TE more.
I see your feeling alot better, Lets hope you stay that way.
The defense was ranked 4th last year. I would probley bet lunch.

And we might have to take Your tiger bait too.

Return to “Pro Sports”