TO signs with the Bengals

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

TO signs with the Bengals

Post by dazed&confused »

T.O. picks the Bengals
Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2010 5:33 PM ET
Well, it's happened. Receiver Terrell Owens has agreed to terms with the Bengals.

Per a league source, Owens will receive a base salary of $2 million. He can earn up to another $2 million in incentives.

(We reported it first, scooping even the OCNN, which put the word out several minutes after us.)

The source says that the incentives are based on receptions, yards, and touchdowns.

Given that the Bengals didn't really have a need at the position and in light of the franchise's reputation for being extremely careful with money, it's a good deal for Owens. He gets more than twice the veteran minimum for a player of his experience, and though the specific triggers for the $2 million are not yet known, it's our understanding that if he performs like he did last year in Buffalo (55 catches, 829 yards, five touchdowns), he'll earn most of the money.

That said, the decision to tie that much money to performance could create friction, if Owens isn't on the field as much as he believes he needs to be. But the Bengals likely know this, and the decision potentially reflects a concession that Antonio Bryant isn't going to be what they thought he was going to be.

As Albert Breer of the Boston Globe points out via Twitter, T.O.'s regular season will begin for the second straight year with a trip to Foxborough to face the Patriots, employers of "the other 81." As PFT points out via PFT, Owens' preseason will begin for the second straight year with a trip to Canton to play in the Hall of Fame game, televised exclusively on NBC.

And Owens will face the Dallas Cowboys, the team that abruptly cut him after the 2008 season.

Suddenly, the first exhibition game of the year got a lot more interesting.

Can they introduce the starting offense by having them pour out of a clown car? :lol: :lol:

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Re: TO signs with the Bengals

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Good.

Despite what the article says, they do have a need at that position and they filled it witgh the best available option.
They are paying him with incentives, and making it so he is focused on producing on the field.

T.O. has never had off-the-field issues, like the players that people love to smear the Bengals rep with.
He's a hard nosed WR, and a big DIVA.

The team is better now than they were yesterday because of this move.

Go ahead, pummel me with your self righteous banter and how T.O. is a bad guy.
When the Bengals win, I'll laugh at you.
If he turns out bad, then what do I lose, it's not like we didn't already know that Mike Brown is an idiot.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Good.

Despite what the article says, they do have a need at that position and they filled it witgh the best available option.
They are paying him with incentives, and making it so he is focused on producing on the field.

T.O. has never had off-the-field issues, like the players that people love to smear the Bengals rep with.

If he turns out bad, then what do I lose, it's not like we didn't already know that Mike Brown is an idiot.

Spoken like a true fan of professional football in Ohio (other than the Buckeyes :lol: :lol: )

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

I agree, got him for a good price. bengal message boards love that he is on team .

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

At first I was at odds with this move but I am coming around to it, T.O. needed the Bengals as mush as the Bengals needed him. This is a signing to show the rest of our division and the AFC that the Bengals are legit. I mean who do you put your best corner on, if Chad gets doubled then you have T.O. on the other side. Also, T.O. gives us size on the outside that we missed last year with T.J. being gone. All in all the Bengals made themselves the team to beat in the North this year.

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

Watchin espn and mike and mike this morning, They both said this is a great move. They have the second best WR duo for passing yards in the nfl now. Only moss and holt have more. They are cheering in cinci right now. The passing game is back. Palmer now has tight ends and a good group or WR. Right before he sighed with bengals,the jets tried to get him.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

O My!!! Its show time or a big blow up!!! lol It will be fun to watch how this plays out?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

man, will somebody just shoot me now, i say by week 8 him , and ocho will be swinging at each other because one or the other is getting more passes. mikey strikes again.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

If you only laugh when the Bengals win, your Sundays have been a misery for many years. On the Mike Brown comment, never a more true comment has been made.

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

At least the bengals are trying to win. Had 2 years of good drafts. Teams only peak so often, than it goes away.
I see this team trying and I think thats great. After 10 wins last year I did alot of laughing. But they need to get to next step. 2010 year might be there only chance. Mike brown did good by letting his coaches run the team, It got better. GO BENGALS !!!!!!!!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

85inside wrote:If you only laugh when the Bengals win, your Sundays have been a misery for many years.

Duh, I've been a Bengals fan all my life!!!

That's stating the obvious!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

TO has to realize he has very few big pay days left. He is playing for a pay check.

How is Matt Jones doing? He was starting to come around as a receiver before his suspension. He is playing for his next contract and is up to him.

Maybe this will help improve the competition at WR but that has to mean that Palmer's arm is alright. Also he has to stay healthy to pass the ball more. This is going to be interesting how the coaches can manage the ego's.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

I'm not now and have never been a Bengals fan but this should be quite a fun "Circus" atmosphere down at Paul Brown this year................maybe they can bring the midgets and the fat ladies out and make it one big party :lol:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i agree fanosports. though i'm a diehard begals fan.

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

FANOSPORTS wrote:I'm not now and have never been a Bengals fan but this should be quite a fun "Circus" atmosphere down at Paul Brown this year................maybe they can bring the midgets and the fat ladies out and make it one big party :lol:
Or they just might win. espn said there all good moves and cinci will be the team to watch. We will wait to see it on the field.

reliob
Freshman Team

Post by reliob »

If the defense stays healthy and plays like they did last year,and the offense is any better than they were last year,then the bengals will win games. WHO-DEY!!!!!!!!

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

Unless Palmer returns to 05/06 form it really doesn't matter who they sign. It just seems like ever since the "hit" that knocked him out of the playoffs vs Pitt that he has struggled with confidence, delivery, and timing. I thought he was gonna be a top 5 qb the way he was playing before the injuries started but now i just don't know. If he can't get the ball to these guys then the O might become a distraction. If he can then it might be a real exciting season for all of you Bengal fans especially if that D plays like it did last season.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

As a Browns fan I think it was a good move for the Bengals. I was hoping it didnt happen.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Who Dey

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Can't wait for Sunday and to see at least one maybe two offensive series with the first team offense, lets see what we will have for this year against a pretty good defense.

Return to “Pro Sports”