Cavs need one more loss to set NBA record

gymrat88
JV Team

Cavs need one more loss to set NBA record

Post by gymrat88 »

The Cavaliers have lost 23 games in a row and if they lose today to Portland, they will sit alone in NBA history for most consecutive regular season losses.

The only departures from the Cavs this off-season (excluding James) were Shaq, Delonte West , and Z. They added Ramon Sessions, Ryan Hollins, Manny Harris, and Joey Graham. What's interesting is when you look at Shaq, West, and Z, none are making a major impact on their teams this year. And then when you look at who the Cavs added, you'll find that those 4 players combined average 30.4 ppg this year while Shaq, West, and Z average 21.3 ppg this year. The 4 cavs players points average out to 7.6 ppg,and the 3 former Cavs players average out to 7.1 ppg.

The fact that the Cavs have gone from having the best regular season record the past two years to having the worst regular season record this year is a testament to the greatness of LeBron James. NEVER IN NBA HISTORY has ONE PLAYER meant more to his team than LeBron did for Cleveland. He single-handedly took that franchise from worst to best, and now that he is gone, they are back to worst.

So many people thought that Cleveland wouldn't be that much worse off, they would still make the playoffs and be a .500 team. Cleveland's illustrious owner Dan Gilbert predicted an NBA championship would be won by the Cavs before it was won by Miami. Cavs fans said that since LeBron quit them, they would be better off without him. Yeah buddy, they are sure showing him now aren't they? Since the Heat embarrassed the Cavs on National television by 28 points, (in which the King had 38 points 8 rebounds and 5 assists) the Cavs are 1-31, after they started the year 7-11.

91blue14
SE

Re: Cavs need one more loss to set NBA record

Post by 91blue14 »

hard times for sure

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

If you took Gasol, Fisher, and Odom off of the Lakers, they would start and be a top 3 player on any other team in the NBA. Shaq, West, and Z left Cleveland and now they are lucky just to get in the game with the Heat and Celtics. Gasol, Fisher, and Odom are all far and away better players right now the Shaq, West, and Z.

gahs- take any good NBA team right now and compare it to the Cavs roster last year. Orlando for instance: Jameer Nelson > Mo Williams, Jason Richardson > Delonte West, Hedo T < LeBron James, Brandon Bass > Anderson Varejao, Dwight Howard > Ilgauskas.

You can blame the Cavs record this year on injury, or any other excuse you want, but you and every other Basketball fan should realize that that team was one man and always was about one man, and that man is LeBron James. He should be in the Hall of Fame simply based on that fact. I don't know of a player in NBA history as good as LeBron that played on a team that had players as bad as Cleveland had for his 7 years.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

The Cavs were completely built with LeBron being the center of attention but they did continue to win last year even when LeBron was out. To continue to say he should be in the Hall of Fame is a joke after just 7 years. Sometimes it is just a mix of players that come together when the pieces fit. Just like in football this year with New England Patriots by getting rid of Randy Moss and Laurence Maroney. Then added Danny Woodhead and bringing back Deon Branch. Woodhead was cut by the Jets and Branch did nothing since leaving the Pats. The Pats added players to a team with a great player on it. The Cavs did not add to their team because of the timing with LeBron's decision. LeBron wanted to leave the Cavs in a tough position to make himself look even better.

Rebels on 3
All State

Post by Rebels on 3 »

Im sorry but the Cavs would not win 60+ games if only Lebron left. They would win about 35 and would not have got close to the playoffs. Also its not like Kobe didnt have alot of help from his friends, ( Shaq, Fisher, Gasol, Odom, Bynum, Artest.) If you remember back when Shaq left and Fisher left and it was just Kobe the Lakers didnt even make the playoffs. So that should tell you right there that LeBron is better than Kobe, because at least LBJ made it to the playoffs with no help.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

gahs- Whether you have watched more Basketball than me or not makes absolutely no difference in debating about LeBron James. However if you would like me to congratulate you for your following of the game of Basketball over the span of multiple generations of Basketball players, then congratulations to you my friend. I never said that LeBron was the "greatest ever". He is not and is far from it. But with your obvious plethora of Basketball knowledge, you would think that one so knowledgable as yourself should be able to come up with someone who has guided a team as bad as Cleveland's to the extent that LeBron did, which so far you have either failed to do so or you are just avoiding the question.

As far as "Kobe's level", here are their career numbers:

Kobe: 25.3ppg, 5.3rpg, 4.7apg
LeBron: 27.7ppg, 7.1 rpg, 7.0apg

For Kobe's first 8 seasons, he averaged: 21.6ppg, 4.25apg, and 5rpg. LeBron leads in all 3 categories for total career averages and first 8 season averages. Kobe would have an advantage because of the players he has had and his number of years in the league.

The most overrated idea in sports is that championships define great players. They do not. They define great teams.

Rebels on 3
All State

Post by Rebels on 3 »

gymrat88, GREAT POST!

eaglesorfalcons
Freshman Team

Post by eaglesorfalcons »

Didn't the cav's let big Z go half way through the season last year?

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Even with West, Big Z, and Shaq the Cavs would be below .500 with out question. That is a laugher! Those 3 would struggle to get big minutes even on this team. Heck West is the only one capable of playing more than 28 minutes per game without collapsing on the court but really would you want West on the court that much anyway. Andy's loss hurt them severely so that is a valid point.

Lebron has HOF potential and is on track but not there yet. But when he left the Cavs they instantly became a sub .500 team even with all those superstars mentioned above. Like rebels said maybe 35 wins and no playoffs but definitely under .500.

I am in total agreement that championships don't make a player great in any way shape or form. Great teams win championships. Kobe has been fortunate enough to have great coaching and great teammates, in years that one has been missing the Lakers have lossed even though Kobe has been the same man and player.

We will see how the future plays out but I would be amazed if any good FA comes to Cleveland after seeing Gilbert in action and we all know they have had the great fortune of making about 3 good draft picks in the last ____ years. At least 10 years and none under Gilbert. They are back to the team they were before Lebron (19 wins the year prior) and won't have the one and only player that made them a solid team ever again.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Who said the Cavs wouldn't break any records without Lebron?

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

The Cavs are in the record books.........losing to the Mavericks 99-96...........

Game recap and highlights

Rebels on 3
All State

Post by Rebels on 3 »

If you took Kobe off the Lakers now they would still be a playoff team.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

If they lose two more and make it 27, they will have the longest losing streak of all time in all major sports!

NFL is Tampa with 26 over 2 years
MLB is also 26
Hockey, I believe is 24.

So, how about it Cavs, why not go down as the worst team in the history of sports!
You're already in the worst city! :122246

Rebels on 3
All State

Post by Rebels on 3 »

I googled this article I think the web site is bleacherreport.com. This article was wrote before LBJ went to MIA. ENJOY.

There is no argument that between them, they represent the two elite competitors in the NBA. The only question is who is better. Allow me to make my case for why I believe LeBron James is the premiere basketball player on the planet.

6. The Attention Received By Their Pending Free Agency.

In the summer of 2004, Kobe Bryant was slated to become a free agent.

There was exactly one team, besides the Lakers, who showed interest. That was the Los Angeles Clippers. It should be mentioned that this was when the economy was healthy and booming. Perhaps you've heard that this coming summer, LeBron James' contract expires. Despite financial struggles, some franchises (New York, Chicago, New Jersey, LA Clippers) have dealt away a good quantity of their roster just for the chance to offer LeBron $125 million dollars.

A dozen other teams have made moves to clear enough salary for the same reason. Never before has so much wheeling and dealing taken place in an effort to attain the services of one player. Fans, analysts, and general managers have been talking about 'The LeBron Summer' for two calendar years.

5. LeBron is Already Shattering Kobe's Scoring Milestones

On March 4, 2003, Kobe Bryant became the youngest player in NBA history score 10,000 points. He was 24 years, 193 days old when he accomplished that feat. On February 27, 2008, LeBron James made that record his own. And he was 23 years, 59 days old. Kobe would then go on to become the youngest player to score 15,000 points. He was 27 years, 136 days at the time of completion. James seized that mark as well, doing so a full two years before Kobe did. LeBron was 25 years, 79 days old.

4. The Notion That Kobe is a Better Scorer is a Myth

Kobe Bryant is the holder of two NBA scoring titles. He led the league in 2005-06 and 2006-07. LeBron James has won the NBA scoring title only once, in 2007-08. However LeBron James career scoring average is an extravagant 27.8, while Kobe boasts a career scoring average of 25.3. Obviously both are top-notch, but the statistics support the argument that LeBron James scores more.

While we're on the subject, LeBron James also scores his points more efficiently. James' career field goal percentage is 47.5, in contrast to Kobe's career percentage of 45.5.

3. LeBron James is Younger and Already Has More MVP Trophies

As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow morning, LeBron James is going to hoist the Maurice Podoloff MVP trophy. Kobe Bryant has one Most Valuable Player Award to his merit in 14 years of NBA service. LeBron just completed his 7th season and already has two. Not a lot for Kobe Bryant supporter's to argue here....

2. If Kobe and LeBron Switched Teams...

With February's addition of Antawn Jamison to the Cavaliers and the off-season trade for Shaq, LeBron's supporting cast is starting to resemble what Kobe's has been like for a healthy portion of his career.

For years, LeBron James has turned a conglomerate of lesser players into winners, as evidence by his career winning percentage of .644%. On the other hand, Kobe Bryant once had a season in his prime (2004-05) where he didn't make the playoffs, just one year after reaching the NBA Finals. This is purely speculation, but could you imagine what LeBron James would be capable of if he played alongside Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom and Ron Artest? I think 70 wins would be a reasonable proposition every season. The Lakers mustered only 57 wins in 2009-10.

Imagining Kobe Bryant on the Cavaliers is an interesting prospect. There would be question marks immediately about whether Kobe could even get along with his teammates. Everyone is familiar with he and Shaq's checkered history. The Cavs would clearly still be a playoff team, but I don't think they'd have won 66 games last year or 61 games this season, as they did with LeBron running the show.

1. LeBron James Makes His Teammates Better. Kobe Does Not.

In 2007, LeBron James carried Sasha Pavlovic, Drew Gooden, Zydrunas Ilgauskas & Larry Hughes all the way to the NBA Finals. LeBron's gaudy 7.0 assists per game average for his career speaks directly to his ability to not only get his (lesser) teammates involved, but to make them better as well. Players such as Donyell Marshall, Drew Gooden, Sasha Pavlovic, Larry Hughes & Damon Jones would go on to other teams and not thrive as they did when they played with James.

Name me one player that LeBron James couldn't play with. His game is so multi-dimensional that if he played with another scorer (think Dwyane Wade or Kevin Durant), he could be the facilitator. If he played with an elite point guard (think Jason Kidd or Steve Nash), he could be the dominant scoring threat. LeBron would make the necessary adjustments. Kobe Bryant wouldn't. Imagine how Kobe Bryant would fare alongside Dwyane Wade. (Hint: Not well.) Bryant's history indicates that he doesn't get along well with players who would rival his scoring. (J.R. Rider, Glen Rice, Shaq)

Conversely, Kobe Bryant was never able to win a single series without the aid of an elite big man playing alongside him. From 2004 when Shaq left until 2007 when Pau was acquired, the Kobe led Lakers missed the playoffs entirely in 2004-05. Then in 2005-06, the Lakers lost to the Suns despite being up 3-1. And in 2006-07, LA again lost to the Suns in the first round. In his defense, Kobe's career assists is a solid 4.7 per game.

Two additional side notes: I can't recall LeBron James ever publicly berating a teammate, especially on national television. Can't say the same for the Black Mamba. When Kobe gets frustrated, he will throw a teammate under the bus like no other. Pau Gasol was quoted as saying, "I think the ball has got to move more."

I wonder who that's referring to.

I recognize that Kobe Bryant is a once in a generation talent. His work ethic is among the best the NBA has ever seen. His résumé is among the most pristine of anyone to ever lace them up. He is one of the best scorers to ever play, and has 4 NBA Championships. But LeBron James may go down as the single greatest to ever play.

It isn't because LeBron jumps higher, dunks harder, blocks more shots, or whips prettier passes (although he does all those things better than Kobe), it's because LeBron James doesn't have any notable weaknesses.

Ideally his jump shot, particularly his three, could improve. But the guy is the complete package. He always makes the right play. He isn't a ball-hog. He's an outstanding teammate. He can score. He can rebound. He can assist. He can defend (and actually does, unlike Kobe who takes the easiest assignment on defense routinely. If you don't believe me, watch the playoffs and tell me how often he guards Kevin Durant, or Brandon Roy, or LeBron James, etc.). He can legitimately play anywhere from the point guard to the power forward on the court. He's a leader. He's single handedly changed the culture in Cleveland. He wins. And this season, after he claims his first NBA Championship, LeBron haters won't be able to point to the one thing Kobe has on him at this point.

Pundits have contrasted Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan, and I think that is fair in a lot of respects. I believe that LeBron embodies elements of Michael, Magic and Bird. It's like Jay-Z once famously rapped, "If you haven't heard, I'm Michael Magic and Bird, all rolled in one...".

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

LeBron is a very good scorer but IMO that is not what seperates him from Kobe. What seperates them is assists, rebounds, steals, blocks, and stats that are not listed such as changing shots and strategies of opposing teams. When you watch the Lakers play next time, pay attention to how much Kobe gets double and triple teamed. It doesn't happen often. When LeBron was at Cleveland, he would get double, triple, sometimes quadruple teamed because the other team knew that he was the only one that would hurt them.

If you honestly believe that this off-season was a well concieved plan years in the making for Bosh/Wade/James to end up in Miami, then that is basically the equivalent of saying that President Bush planned Hurricane Katrina: it is absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure that they thought it would be cool, and I'm sure they joked around about it. But I guarantee you that it was never a well thought out plan. And once again, if James really did run the franchise, then why is that LeBron's fault and not the management's fault?

Rebels on 3- Very good article.

gahs- I don't totally disagree with you on this topic. I agree about the narcissim of athletes today. Unfortunately, it is a reflection of our flashy society. It is what it is, and as sports fans we just have to accept it and expect it.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

gymrat, your first paragraph is spot on but if you have to point that out you are wasting your breath and if those facts aren't obvious by watching games and seeing first hand the difference then you are wasting your time telling someone to look for it.

The second paragraph is just as obvious to most but some still think DWade and Lebron are the owners of the teams and just do what they want which is not the case as you stated. They even said they joked about it but never thought it could becaome a reality. Who would have thought it a reality but who would have thought Gasol would be traded to Lakers for a peanut and half a beer and who would have thought the Celts could end up with the roster they have or the Magic could get theirs. The topper will be if Anthony ends up a Laker and yet the talk will still be of a Heat all-star team. Lebron could start for that Laker team, Wade would too but his minutes would reduce greatly and Bosh would struggle to see the court.

Nonetheless the Cavs suck just like they did before they got a good player

Rebels on 3
All State

Post by Rebels on 3 »

The Cavs lose again. They are one away from tying the longest losing streak off all time in any sport (NBA,MLB,NFL,NHL).

ZacBrownBand
Varsity

Post by ZacBrownBand »

They seem like they always come so close but can't ever get those few points
I am and always will be a fan of the cavs but it's just getting embarrassing to be one right now

Rebels on 3
All State

Post by Rebels on 3 »

I hope Dan Gilbert is happy. Like he said the Cavs are better off without LBJ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I have watch NBA basketball from the time they started putting it on TV. James is far better than 90% [if not more]of the players that have played the game.If James played in the 60s and 70s [he wouldn't be the player he is to day] he would be a Baylor or Robinson. Back in those days they played the game of BASKETBALL that is why no other country could beat us--but then players started playing too much above the rim and other countries stayed playing BASKETBAll and started beating us. Over the last few years we are getting back to BASKETBAll when playing other countries.

Return to “Pro Sports”