NBA

Omega
SEOPS H

NBA

Post by Omega »

I guess it is not unexpected

Last edited by Omega on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: NBA suspends its season

Post by VetteMan »

I wouldn't doubt that MLB will be next.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

NBA players heading to Orlando next week for the season restart, will not be allowed to travel with their team if they miss a coronavirus test in the lead-up to their departure. Teams will travel between July 7-9, with training camps set to run from July 9-29th. The regular season is set to resume on July 30th.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Sacramento Kings have reportedly closed their practice facility after a member of their traveling party tested positive for Covid-19 on Sunday. The news comes on the heels of the Milwaukee Bucks also choosing to shut down their practice facility earlier in the day on Sunday. The Denver Nuggets, Miami Heat, Los Angeles Clippers, Brooklyn Nets and the Phoenix Suns also shut down their practice facilities earlier in the week. The NBA is set to restart on July 30th with 22 Teams at the Walt Disney Resort in Orlando, though with the closing of nearly one third of the team facilities closing this week, it is certainly not a good sign.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Football next ?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Geronimo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:19 am Football next ?
Football and baseball likely be next on an all or none basis. Nascar and golf may not continue. As long as infections continue to pop up among athletes and sports staff, all seasons are in jeopardy given the current political environment. Honestly the world will continue without sports, but the games being played would help restore a sense of normalcy.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

How true !!!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Houston Rockets forward Thabo Sefolosha has joined a growing list of NBA players opting out of the NBA's restart last week, and the 14 year veteran explained his decision on Friday. Without mentioning a name, I know that some of my teammates had Covid-19, including one with whom I've been close enough with a few days in Houston.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

In a slightly different twist, the WNBA and the Women's National Basketball Player Association are calling for the league to remove Kelly Loeffler as co-owner of the Atlanta Dream. Loeffler, a junior U. S. Senatore from Georgia, has owned the Dream since 2011. She recently appeared on Fox News and another Network, and called Black Protesters in Atlanta, "Mob Rule". On Tuesday she stated her opposition to the WNBA's announcement that players will wear warmup shirts saying "Black Lives Matter", and "Say Her Name" this season. In a letter to WNBA commissioner Cathey Engelbert, she called for "less politics" in sports, and said the phrases on warmup jersey's should be replaced with American Flags on all apparel. The truth being that we need less, not more politics in sports.

Toz15
Waterboy

Post by Toz15 »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am In a slightly different twist, the WNBA and the Women's National Basketball Player Association are calling for the league to remove Kelly Loeffler as co-owner of the Atlanta Dream. Loeffler, a junior U. S. Senatore from Georgia, has owned the Dream since 2011. She recently appeared on Fox News and another Network, and called Black Protesters in Atlanta, "Mob Rule". On Tuesday she stated her opposition to the WNBA's announcement that players will wear warmup shirts saying "Black Lives Matter", and "Say Her Name" this season. In a letter to WNBA commissioner Cathey Engelbert, she called for "less politics" in sports, and said the phrases on warmup jersey's should be replaced with American Flags on all apparel. The truth being that we need less, not more politics in sports.
She's about to get "Sterling-d"

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The NBA has created a basketball bubble at ESPN's Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, but with the number of coronavirus cases growing rapidly, could the bubble burst ? Several NBA teams traveled to Florida on Tuesday and now NBA commissioner Adam Silver is expressing concern. In a virtual interview with Fortune Brainstorm Health, Silver said the NBA expects to see more positive Corid-19 cases as teams arrive at the NBA campus. Once teams do arrive on campus, all personnel will be terted and must quarantine for at least 2 days. Just my thoughts, but at this point in time, I don't think that the NBA could have picked a worse place or area to be going too.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

As of today it appears as if all 22 teams have arrived in Orlando, and after a couple days of having all of the players, coaches and staff retested, they will begin preparation to be able to restart the 2019-2020 season. I'm not sure how many, but their have been a few players that have decided not to return, and instead to opt out of returning. The 2019-2020 season comeback is contingent on an agreement with The Walt Disney Company to be able to use Walt Disney World Resort as a campus, and for all games, practices and housing for the remainder of the season.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

It looks as if the Boston Celtics will be in the market for a new assistant coach, as Kara Lawson has accepted the Head Coaching Job of the Lady Duke Blue Devils. Lawson has been one of only four female coaches in the NBA. She will succeed Joanne McCallie who just resigned last week. The 39 yr old Lawson is from Arlington, Virgina, and played for Pat Summit at Tenn, going to the Final 4 three times. She then played 13 years in the WNBA for Sacramento, Connecticut, and Washington. She also won a gold medal with Team USA at the Beiging Olympics in 2008.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The NBA is closing in on Chicago as the Bubble City for the Non-Playoff teams. Apparently the NBA is trying to sign off on the plan, which would allow the teams to hold mini training camps and games against other clubs. Wintrust Arena is under consideration for a possible venue, however, the details for the bubble city are still being worked on, and teams are hoping for a plan that would allow them to hold mini-camps in their local markets and scrimmage other clubs at regional sites. The Bulls, Timberwolves, Cavaliers, Hawks, Pistons, Knicks, Hornets, and the Warriors were not invited to Orlando since they were not in a position to qualify for the playoffs. The plan to assemble a second bubble city comes after team leaders look for a way to keep their players active, while waiting for next season to start. With 22 teams showing up in Orlando, and with as many players opting out and not going to show up, I will not be one bit surprised if this second bubble city ever gets off the ground. With the Covid-19 situation being what it is, and the fact that their season is already over with, what incentive would most of these players have to show up and practice against each other.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Houston Rockets guard Russell Westbrook announced on Monday that he has tested positive for Covid-19. Westbrook said he tested positive prior to the Rockets departure for Orlando on Thursday. I'm currently feeling well, quarantined and looking forward to rejoining my teammates when I'm cleared. Please take this virus seriously, Be safe. "Mask up". I'm not one bit surprised that he tested positive prior to departing from the Houston area, as it has been one of the hotter area's in the U.S.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Sacramento Kings player Richaun Holmes revealed Monday that he "briefly and accidentally", ( which means he got caught ) crossed the NBA campus line to pick up a food delivery. Under the NBA's rules of the restart, he now has to spend 10 days in quarantine. Holmes said Monday that he still had 8 days remaining. He said that he would like to apologize for his actions, and that he would look forward to rejoining his teammates for our playoff push.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:10 am Houston Rockets guard Russell Westbrook announced on Monday that he has tested positive for Covid-19. Westbrook said he tested positive prior to the Rockets departure for Orlando on Thursday. I'm currently feeling well, quarantined and looking forward to rejoining my teammates when I'm cleared. Please take this virus seriously, Be safe. "Mask up". I'm not one bit surprised that he tested positive prior to departing from the Houston area, as it has been one of the hotter area's in the U.S.
Officials in Houston, Texas have called for that City to lock back down, as area hospitals strain to accommodate patients sick with the coronavirus. And in Florida, more than "12,000 " new coronavirus cases were confirmed on Monday.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Just a slight bit of news about the WNBA, and the coronavirus. In releasing the results of the testing of a couple weeks ago, ( June 28-July 5th, the WNBA announced that 137 players were tested, and 7 players tested positive for coronavirus. Any player that tested positive, will remain in self-isolation until she satisfies public health protocols for discontinuing isolation, and has been cleared by a doctor. I repeat, these results were from a couple weeks ago.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:17 pm Just a slight bit of news about the WNBA, and the coronavirus. In releasing the results of the testing of a couple weeks ago, ( June 28-July 5th, the WNBA announced that 137 players were tested, and 7 players tested positive for coronavirus. Any player that tested positive, will remain in self-isolation until she satisfies public health protocols for discontinuing isolation, and has been cleared by a doctor. I repeat, these results were from a couple weeks ago.
I found this little bit of news about the WNBA pretty interesting. Washington Mystics All-Star and 2-time WNBA- MVP, Elene Delle Donne has opened up about her health condition in an interview just 2 days after " league doctors denied her request " to opt out of the 2020 season. Wednesday, Delle Donne revealed that she takes 64 pills per day to keep her Lyme disease under control. She has dealt with her condition for 12 yr, and noted that taking those pills helps keep her "healthy enough to do my job and earn the paycheck that supports my family.' She also said that doctors continue to disagree whether Lyme disease can be a chronic condition. She said that her personal Lyme doctor has stated that her condition leaves her at "high risk" to contract Covid-19, and recommended she sit out of the WNBA's shortened season. Delle Donne also said that she has submitted reports from her personal and team physicians to the WNBA's panel of doctors to determine if she could get a health exemption and still be paid while sitting out the season. I have no idea what will happen in her situation, but I will say from watching her play, that she is an outstanding player.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am In a slightly different twist, the WNBA and the Women's National Basketball Player Association are calling for the league to remove Kelly Loeffler as co-owner of the Atlanta Dream. Loeffler, a junior U. S. Senatore from Georgia, has owned the Dream since 2011. She recently appeared on Fox News and another Network, and called Black Protesters in Atlanta, "Mob Rule". On Tuesday she stated her opposition to the WNBA's announcement that players will wear warmup shirts saying "Black Lives Matter", and "Say Her Name" this season. In a letter to WNBA commissioner Cathey Engelbert, she called for "less politics" in sports, and said the phrases on warmup jersey's should be replaced with American Flags on all apparel. The truth being that we need less, not more politics in sports.
Just a little bit of a follow up to an earlier post: WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert has said that the league will not push co-owner Kelly Loeffler, a Junior U.S. Senator from Georgia, into selling her stake in the Atlanta Dream. Engelbert said the league is aware of other parties interested in potentially purchasing the franchise. To me this kind of sounds like if someone takes a stance, or makes a statement that some people don't agree with, the easy solution is to sort of go behind doors, and then more or less throw a hint that if you don't toe the line, we then may have no choice but to take action against you.

Return to “Pro Sports”