NFL Free Agency

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: NFL Free Agency

Post by VetteMan »

I think that the Bengals are really banking big time on the notion that their #1 pick from the 2019 draft, Johna Williams out of Alabama will be able to recover from his knee injury. Coming out of the draft, he was rated as one of the best linemen in the entire draft. If I'm not mistaken he was hurt early on in training camp, and missed his entire rookie season. In some ways he and Burrow are kind of in the same situation, regardless of how highly that they are both rated, they both still have to go out and prove it on the field. Right now both the NFL and college football are both facing a lot of unknown's as far as what kind of seasons that either can look forward too.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

This is so important, you just know that the NFL would have to own this topic. ( It's okay to knock the you know what out of a player during the game, but after the game keep at least 6 foot away from each other.) The NFL is going to prohibit on field Jersey Exchange during the 2020 season. Per the NFL Network, teams will also be forbidden from postgame interactions within 6 feet of each other. 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman said this is a perfect example of the NFL thinking in a nutshell. We can engage in a full contact game, and do it safely, however it is deemed unsafe for them to exchange jerseys after the game. ( I would just about bet that Sherman will exchange regardless ) Texan's QB Deshaun Watson tweeted, that's darn Silly bro.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ex Michigan QB Shea Patterson has been waived by the Kansas City Chiefs right before pre season begins. He was signed to a free agent contract after this years NFL draft. I always felt just a little sorry for this kid, as he had such high expectations placed upon him from when he first came out of high school. He was a 5-star, maybe rated the top QB prospect coming out of high school. He signed with Ole Miss in the SEC, and played his 1st 2 yrs with the Rebels. He then transferred to Michigan, and played his final 2 seasons with the Maize @ Blue. It just seemed to me that regardless of how well he played, whether it was at Ole Miss or even at Michigan, that it just didn't quite live up to his billing or maybe the expectations that had been placed upon him. I guess maybe being a great QB in high school, sometimes doesn't always translate to the college game. ( Tate Martell )

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:25 pm I probably should start a new or different Topic on this post, but since one of these guys had talked about possibly becoming a Free Agent at some point down the road, I'll just wing it here. I don't care how good of a player you are, if you are on an NFL roster, you have to be making a pretty good amount of money. These two clowns, DeAndre Baker of the New York Giants, and Quinton Dunbar of the Seatle Seahawks. while at a cookout party in Florida on May 13th, decided to commit a robbery by brandishing a gun and robbing the people of not only there money, but also there jewelry and watches and what ever else they could get. There was another guy with them, and as of right now there is an arrest warrant out for all 3 of them. I think the money and valuables all came to around 7000 dollars. They both are defensive backs in the NFL, or I probably should say "were" in the NFL. In college Baker played 4 years at University of Georgia, while Dunbar played at U. of Florida from 2011 to 2014. I'm sure that if there is any way that someone can blame Urban Meyer for Dunbar, they will do so. Dumb does not even describe these 2 guys.
A Search Warrant shows Cover-Up for DeAndre Baker and Quinton Dunbar in this Armed Robbery Case. A search warrant shows evidence that both players paid off their alleged victims of an armed robbery. The 2 players were issued arrest warrants on May 14th on 4 counts of armed robbery with a firearm, plus 4 counts of aggravated assault with a firearm. The search warrant was obtained by the Daily News as a matter of public record. It shows evidence and also shows a witness named Dominic Johnson oversee payoffs to the 4 victims on May 15th at the office of Michael Grieco, Dunbar's attorney. All 4 victims have provided sworn statements saying they were paid off to take back their initial testimonies against both players. The victims say they were paid a combined total of 55,000 dollars. To me if the Daily News had not secured the document as a matter of public record, this would have been swept under the rug, never to be talked about again. I also don't feel as if the 4 victims were victims at all, they were more than willing to take the 55,000 and go on their merry way. The bottom line in this whole situation being, that $$$ and sort of a shady lawyer, would have made this whole situation disappear.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I've already pretty much made shambles out of this Topic, by posting other things about the NFL, besides just free agents. The Arizona Cardinals confirmed this past Friday, that Team Owner Michael Bidwill recently tested positive for Covid-19. He was hospitalized as a precautionary measure, farther illustrating that the novel coronavirus spares no one. It is believed that the virus struck the 55 yr old Bidwill in the previous 3 weeks, when he had spent traveling on the East Coast. Earlier in the week, the team owner had developed a fever as well as headaches, prompting him to be tested. When he tested positive, he was admitted to a hospital in Rhode Island at the recommendation of his doctor. The team said his symptoms have subsided and that he is expected to be released from the hospital this weekend.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:40 am
VetteMan wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:25 pm I probably should start a new or different Topic on this post, but since one of these guys had talked about possibly becoming a Free Agent at some point down the road, I'll just wing it here. I don't care how good of a player you are, if you are on an NFL roster, you have to be making a pretty good amount of money. These two clowns, DeAndre Baker of the New York Giants, and Quinton Dunbar of the Seatle Seahawks. while at a cookout party in Florida on May 13th, decided to commit a robbery by brandishing a gun and robbing the people of not only there money, but also there jewelry and watches and what ever else they could get. There was another guy with them, and as of right now there is an arrest warrant out for all 3 of them. I think the money and valuables all came to around 7000 dollars. They both are defensive backs in the NFL, or I probably should say "were" in the NFL. In college Baker played 4 years at University of Georgia, while Dunbar played at U. of Florida from 2011 to 2014. I'm sure that if there is any way that someone can blame Urban Meyer for Dunbar, they will do so. Dumb does not even describe these 2 guys.
A Search Warrant shows Cover-Up for DeAndre Baker and Quinton Dunbar in this Armed Robbery Case. A search warrant shows evidence that both players paid off their alleged victims of an armed robbery. The 2 players were issued arrest warrants on May 14th on 4 counts of armed robbery with a firearm, plus 4 counts of aggravated assault with a firearm. The search warrant was obtained by the Daily News as a matter of public record. It shows evidence and also shows a witness named Dominic Johnson oversee payoffs to the 4 victims on May 15th at the office of Michael Grieco, Dunbar's attorney. All 4 victims have provided sworn statements saying they were paid off to take back their initial testimonies against both players. The victims say they were paid a combined total of 55,000 dollars. To me if the Daily News had not secured the document as a matter of public record, this would have been swept under the rug, never to be talked about again. I also don't feel as if the 4 victims were victims at all, they were more than willing to take the 55,000 and go on their merry way. The bottom line in this whole situation being, that $$$ and sort of a shady lawyer, would have made this whole situation disappear.
Well this story has taken another twist, and it's really getting a little hard to actually know who to believe. Lawyers for both players have now denied a report that the 2 players did actually pay off the victims, in the alleged armed robbery in May. Law enforcement, both local and federal were advised from day one and beyond that the alleged victims in this case were actively extorting the 2 players. The lawyer said that these victims fabricated a robbery story after waiting an hour to call the police, and then immediately began contacting the players demanding money. baker's lawyer said that they have been in contact with the federal and the local authorities from the start about the blackmail attempt. The lawyers also said that these victims are seasoned career criminals who have been arrested and/or convicted of crimes ranging from conspiracy to commit murder to human trafficking, to filing a false police report. ( Sounds like just the type of people that you want to hang out and party with ) Miramar Police detective Mark Moretti wrote in the search warrant about messages between Baker and Johnson that appear to corroborate the victims claims of a payoff. Johnson is telling Baker to come to Dunbar's Lawyer's office. Baker is saying that I'm in the City now getting Cash, how much do I bring ? I'm trying to get there as soon as possible. Stay tuned in, I'm interested to see if this ever reaches a conclusion ?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Wide Receiver Terrell Pryor has spoken to the New England Patriots about returning to the NFL. I can still play, says Pryor. I can still make plays and dominate, I know that. Pryor hasn't played in a regular season game since 2018. The Patriots are reportedly on his radar and have shown some level of interest in him. Pryor has spoken to 5 teams about playing football again. To me when Pryor first came into the league, his willingness to try to play a different position other than QB the first couple years, possibly cost him. He then finally did relent and play another position, and play it very well. I feel as if he overvalued himself when he was with the Browns, after having one very good year. I really hope that he gets another chance to prove himself in the league.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Dallas Cowboys have less than 24 hr to reach a long-term deal with QB Dak Prescott. The deadline to sign players under the franchise tag is July 15th, at 4:00 PM. Will that pressure help the Cowboys and their QB reach a long-term deal ? A few other players that signed their franchise tag and are waiting for a long-term deal besides Prescott, Titans RB Derrick Henry, Giants DT Leonard Williams, Chargers TE Hunter Henry, and Redskin G Brandon Scherff.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:16 pm The Dallas Cowboys have less than 24 hr to reach a long-term deal with QB Dak Prescott. The deadline to sign players under the franchise tag is July 15th, at 4:00 PM. Will that pressure help the Cowboys and their QB reach a long-term deal ? A few other players that signed their franchise tag and are waiting for a long-term deal besides Prescott, Titans RB Derrick Henry, Giants DT Leonard Williams, Chargers TE Hunter Henry, and Redskin G Brandon Scherff.
Well the deadline came and gone, and there was no long term deal reached. Dallas Cowboys star Dak Prescott signed his 34,409 million exclusive franchise tender 3 weeksw ago, in theory creating a path toward a long term deadline deal by Wednesday. But the " open-communication " path never cleared. There will be no long-term deal, with the Cowboys having offered 5 yr and about 35 million average per season ( totaling 175 million ) with at least 106 million in virtual guarantee. Prescot and his agent Todd France of CAA preferring a shorter-term arrangement.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Running Back Derrick Henry agreed to a contract extension that will keep him on the roster beyond just this season. The reported 4yr, 50 million dollar deal ( 25.5 million guaranteed ), negates the one year non-exclusive franchise tender that Henry had signed in April, which would have paid him 10278 million dollars for this season.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs and DT Chris Jones have agreed to a 4 year, 85 million dollar contract extension, with 60 million guaranteed. With Jones in the middle of Kansas City's defensive line, the Chiefs return 20 of their 22 Super l starters. The Chiefs also fully retained their 2019 coaching staff. 2021 will probably be the most interesting cap management year for the Chiefs.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Even though the Cincinnati Bengals didn't get an extension signed by 4 pm on Wednesday with wide receiver AJ Green, designated their franchise free-agent back in March, there are still hopes to strike a long-term deal after the season, and that he'll report with the rest of the vets to sign his one-year tender offer of 18 million. Although Green and the club now can't negotiate until after this season, and the fact that he hasn't played a full game since Oct 28,2018 because of foot and ankle injuries, the Bengals desire to keep him in the re-boot beyond Burrows rookie year remains intense. Green will turn 32 the last day of this month. Right now everyone is saying the right things, plus Green has been a great receiver throughout his career with the Bengals, but unless he can turn things around injury wise, I can't see the Bengals signing him to any kind of a contract extension, nor do I think that they should.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

NFL just don't see how its going to work ?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Well Free Agency in the NFL began on time, and seemed to be moving along pretty smoothly. plus the NFL draft was held in late April, and even though circumstances were quite different, it moved along successfully. The NFL's calender has not been altered by the Covid-19 crisis. Training camps are currently slated to open on 7-28-2020, but that could be delayed if a camp is unable to open in certain states. 72 NFL players have tested positive for Covid-19 after the latest round of testing. Roughly 2800 players were tested, and the positive samples equate to a 2.5% positive test rate. The NFL is the latest league to do a survey of Covid-19 tests on every team. In comparison MLB received 66 positive tests in it's latest round of testing on 7-10-2020, with 1.8% of samples returning positive.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

A few players that played for the Bengals in 2019, and then were resigned to one-year contracts for 2020. I think that their were 7 players that actually were free-agents, that the Bengals decided to resign. CB-Tony Brown, TE- Cethan Carter, CB- Greg Mabin, CB- Torry McTyer, G- Alex Redmond, DT- Josh Tupou, S- Brandon Wilson, These next 8 players were brought in as free-agents and signed, CB- Mackensie Alexander, S-Vonn Bell, Linebacker- Josh Bynes, DT- DJ Reader, CB- Leshaun Sims, G- Xavier Su'a Filo, WR- Mike Thomas, and CB- Trae Waynes.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

It finally appears as if the 10 year career of Antonio Brown has come to an end. The former All-Pro wide receiver announced Monday that he would be retiring from the NFL. He said at this point the risk is greater than the reward. Thank you everyone who has been a part of this journey. I sincerely thank you for everything, Life goes on 84. Brown said he will not be playing for the current NFL owners, saying they can cancel deals and do whatever they want. The New England Patriots won their grievance against Brown, saving 4 million they would have had to pay. During his nine seasons with the Steelers, Brown recorded 11,207 yards and 74 touchdowns. He was a 7-time Pro Bowler and a 5-time All-Pro. Brown hasn't played since week 1 of 2019 and is currently under investigation for sexual assault toward his former trainer Britney Taylor. Brown was mentioned to be a target for teams such as the Ravens and the Seahawks, but neither team tried to negotiate a deal. When he was with the Steelers at one point, I thought that he was one of the top 3 receivers in the NFL.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

AB ! You had it so good in the steel city ! And was to dumb to realize it !

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Geronimo wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:42 am AB ! You had it so good in the steel city ! And was to dumb to realize it !
If he wasn't happy playing for the Steelers, who have always been known for going over and beyond in how they treated and took care of their players, then he wasn't going to play very long for any other NFL team. You could see in his statement yesterday, the bitterness in losing out on the 4 million to the Patriots, ( of course anyone would be unhappy about that ) by making reference to the fact that he couldn't play for NFL owners today, that they just did what they wanted to do. He then half way acted as if he wanted to thank everyone for there support over his 10 yr career. He had that support when he was with the Steelers, not only the fans but his teammates as well. He just seemed to start spiraling out of control, even in his last year or so with the Steelers. He's facing a lot of legal problems right now. I can very well see why no NFL team would want anything to do with him, even though he would probably still be very productive. I probably shouldn't say this, but I wonder if he may have fell and hit his head when he was on " Dancing with the Stars."

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

He went way out of control ! Know NFL team would put up with that not even the Browns !

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Geronimo wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:44 pm He went way out of control ! Know NFL team would put up with that not even the Browns !
I agree with you completely. Everyone is given a little bit of leeway from time to time, but with some of the things that he was doing and saying, it was only going to be a matter of time until he lost a lot of respect from some of his teammates, his coaches, and as well a lot of his fans. I'm not sure if $$$ and sometimes the sense of entitlement would be one of the main factors in his situation. What's sad now in going forward, is not the fact of what a great football player that he was, but how bad that he screwed things up.

Return to “Pro Sports”