cbolt
SEOP

Re: Cleveland Indians To Consider Name Change

Post by cbolt »

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Thank you cbolt, That's very interesting to read.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

In order to host a team meeting in an area large enough for players to social distance, the Indians will be taking over the Home Plate Club at Progressive Field over the next few days to have a few conversations, including a discussion about race and diversity issues, Within that, the Tribe is ready to have an open dialogue about it's nickname. If it goes the way we hope, it wouldn't just be a onetime meeting. The Cleveland organization "made a statement" over two weeks ago, saying it was committed to determining the best path forward in regards to it's team name, Indians. Over the past week, Tribe players have been vocal in supporting whatever decision brings the most happiness and peace in the community. Manager Terry Francona also said that he doubted that anyone cared more about his players and his community than what he did.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Tito supported the name change but I wonder if he really supported it or was just cowed under by all the political correctness going on right now ? Either you are with them or you are ostracized like Drew Brees. I'll probably have to remove my avatar before long. :roll:
I know John Redcorn would be honored to see it. :lol:

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

cbolt wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:44 am Tito supported the name change but I wonder if he really supported it or was just cowed under by all the political correctness going on right now ? Either you are with them or you are ostracized like Drew Brees. I'll probably have to remove my avatar before long. :roll:
I know John Redcorn would be honored to see it. :lol:
I agree about Tito maybe cowering down a little to the change, he as well as a lot of others just might give an opinion which at the time, could also be looked at as being in his best interest. Is that the same as straddling the fence, and then jumping off on the right side ? Lol

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I be willing to bet money he didn't like it vetteman. He is old school to begin with plus he has roots in Cleveland with his dad playing for the Indians during his career.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:32 pm In order to host a team meeting in an area large enough for players to social distance, the Indians will be taking over the Home Plate Club at Progressive Field over the next few days to have a few conversations, including a discussion about race and diversity issues, Within that, the Tribe is ready to have an open dialogue about it's nickname. If it goes the way we hope, it wouldn't just be a onetime meeting. The Cleveland organization "made a statement" over two weeks ago, saying it was committed to determining the best path forward in regards to it's team name, Indians. Over the past week, Tribe players have been vocal in supporting whatever decision brings the most happiness and peace in the community. Manager Terry Francona also said that he doubted that anyone cared more about his players and his community than what he did.
I even made a big "boo-boo" in this post by referring to Tito as Terry. I had forgotten about his dad playing for the Indians. Did his dad also play or maybe even manage for the Baltimore franchise ? I remember Terry was a pretty good ballplayer, Did Tito even play in the Major league's ? I know that you know a lot more about both of them than what I do.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Tito never coached as far as I know, vetteman. He played for Baltimore his first year then played for numerous other teams. He played for the Indians from 59-64 the longest stint he had for any team. I used to watch Drennan Live until my stupid TV provider took Sports Time Ohio off and I not seen it since. They had wealth of knowledge on there about the Indians and the Francona's. They call Terry "Tito" because of his old man, who he dearly loved.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

cbolt wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:00 pm Tito never coached as far as I know, vetteman. He played for Baltimore his first year then played for numerous other teams. He played for the Indians from 59-64 the longest stint he had for any team. I used to watch Drennan Live until my stupid TV provider took Sports Time Ohio off and I not seen it since. They had wealth of knowledge on there about the Indians and the Francona's. They call Terry "Tito" because of his old man, who he dearly loved.
Thank you for the Information, I was really just guessing, which was very obvious. Lol

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Indians will use this final week of Summer Camp to determine who will make up their 30-man roster. After two weeks of the regular season, Cleveland will trim it's roster to 28 players, before reaching it's normal size of 26 players on Day 29. With just seven days before the Indians host the at Progressive Field for their first of 60 games. Lets take a look at who could fill all 30 spots on July 24th. Catcher (2), Roberto Perez, Sandy Leon, First base (1), Carlos Santana, Second base (1), Cesar Hernandez, Shortstop (1), Francisco Lindor, Third base (1), Jose Ramirez, Utility (2), Mike Freeman, Christian Arroyo, Outfield (7), Oscar Mercado, Franmil Reyes, Domingo Santana, Tyler Naquin, Jorden Luplow, Bradley Zimmer, Jake Bauers, Starting pitchers, (6), Shane Bieber, Mike Clevinger, Carlos Carrasco, Aaron Civak, Zach Plesac, Adam Plutko, Relievers (9), Brad Hand, Nick Wittgren, Oliver Perez, Adam Cimber, James Karinchak, James Hoyt, Hutter Wood, Phil Maton, and Cam Hill.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Cleveland Indians starting rotation is set. Cleveland Manager Terry Francone said he talked to Adam Plutko and informed him that he would begin the season in the bullpen, leaving Aaron Civale and Zach Plesac to serve as the 4th and 5th starters respectively. Shane Bieber will get the ball on Opening Day, Mike Clevinger will take the rubber on Saturday, and Carlos Carrasco will follow on Sunday.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Indians have high hopes for outfielder Daniel Johnson, their #13 prospect according to MLB Pipeline, but his time to get to the big leagues has not come just yet. Manager Terry Francone informed Johnson, reliever David Hernandez and catcher Beau Taylor that they will not be making the Opening Day roster. Johnson and Hernandez will be moving over to the Lake County camp, while Taylor will remain in Cleveland until the beginning of the regular season, to add some depth in practice and intersquad games.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Well after the first two games, I guess that they are still the Indians until we hear otherwise. When one Ace leaves, no doubt everyone wonders if someone will be able to replace him ? After the Indians traded their top starter, 2-time Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber, to the Texas Rangers in Dec, a lot of people were wondering if Shane Bieber would be that player that would step up. Even though it's only his 1st start of the season, if his performance is an indication of what might be still to come, then I think that he maybe has answered that question. Not only did he cruise through 6 inn of 4-hit baseball, but he compiled 14 strikeouts in a dominating performance.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:37 pm The Indians have high hopes for outfielder Daniel Johnson, their #13 prospect according to MLB Pipeline, but his time to get to the big leagues has not come just yet. Manager Terry Francone informed Johnson, reliever David Hernandez and catcher Beau Taylor that they will not be making the Opening Day roster. Johnson and Hernandez will be moving over to the Lake County camp, while Taylor will remain in Cleveland until the beginning of the regular season, to add some depth in practice and intersquad games.
After all the injuries Tyler Naquin has had over the past few years, the Indians OF is hopeful of being able to avoid some of the injuries once again. The Indians have recalled OF Daniel Johnson from it's alternate training site in Lake County, Ohio, to give the team some extra OF depth while Naquin recovers from a hairline fracture in his toe.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

MLB seems as if they are always either changing or implementing new rules every so often, well this one will certainly get you to sit up and take notice. If it has been in effect before, then I apologize for not knowing about it. A new rule in 2020, each team begins every frame in " extra innings " with a runner on second base, If that runner scores, it is an unearned run, but the pitcher receives the loss if his team can not respond. That is what happened to the Indians rookie reliever James Karinchak on Saturday.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

A statement from the Cleveland Indians organization: The Cleveland Indians are launching options for the fans to either receive a Flexible Bonus Credit or Refund for all home games through the 2020 season due to Covid-19 pandemic. Fans with impacted games will be receiving email communication from the Indians to explain the next steps. The Indians have also announced that fans will not be permitted to attend games at Progressive Field to start the season. The club will continue to work with local health and government officials to monitor the possibility of fans returning to Progressive Field during the 2020 season.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Even when Carlos Carrasco made his emotional return to the mound as a reliever last Sept after having to step away from the game for three months to battle leukemia, he knew that his first start would be even sweeter. It had been 423 days since Carrasco last toed the rubber in a Major League game as a starter, but the 33yr old could not have looked more at home. In 6 plus stellar frames, the righty allowed 2 runs on 5 hits with 1 walk and 10 strikeouts, leading the Indians, with the help of 2 Jose Ramirez HR's to a 9-2 victory over the Royals on Sunday.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:38 pm MLB seems as if they are always either changing or implementing new rules every so often, well this one will certainly get you to sit up and take notice. If it has been in effect before, then I apologize for not knowing about it. A new rule in 2020, each team begins every frame in " extra innings " with a runner on second base, If that runner scores, it is an unearned run, but the pitcher receives the loss if his team can not respond. That is what happened to the Indians rookie reliever James Karinchak on Saturday.
Indians Pitcher Mike Clevinger is not a fan of the new temporary rule in 2020, whereas at the start of every extra inn a runner will be placed on 2nd base to start an inn. Major League baseball is and has been to time consuming for a long long time, so I guess any thing that can help shorten the game could not be a bad thing. I do agree that "bunting" and "sac fly's" will now become more the norm, especially in extra inn from now on. Also, teams that have that "one" player, that they feel 95% of the time, can execute and get that bunt down, might just try to save that player until extra inn.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Yesterday the Indians designated pitcher James Hoyt for assignment to there alternative training camp. The 33yr old seemingly had a chance to earn a spot in the Indians bullpen, but for now will have to wait his chance. Being not able to earn a spot on the opening day roster, he's now been removed from the 40 man roster as well.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Sometimes it might be easy to forget the highlight reel plays, that center fielder Oscar Mercado made for the Indians in his rookie year last season. Well last night in the 2nd game of a double-header against the Chicago White Sox, the Tribe had a two-run lead in the top of the 8th inn with the White Sox having a runner at 1st base, Chicago's Zack Collins laced a drive toward left centerfield, that appeared to be a sure double at least off the wall, but a leaping catch by Mercado as he crashed into the wall most certainly probably allowed the Indians to escape the inn in route to a 5-3 victory. Cleveland Manager Terry Francona said, Oscar's play no doubt was the game saver right there.

Return to “Pro Sports”