Cleveland Indians To Consider Name Change

Omega
SEOPS H

Cleveland Indians To Consider Name Change

Post by Omega »

In the current trend to achieve "wokeness", the Cleveland Indians announced they would condider changing the name of their mascot. Excerpt from The Hill:

The Cleveland Indians said Friday it will consider changing its name amid civil unrest over systemic racism and police brutality.

“We are committed to making a positive impact in our community and embrace our responsibility to advance social justice and equality,” the team said in a statement Friday. “Our organization fully recognizes our team name is among the most visible ways in which we connect with the community.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/50583 ... ame-change

This comes on top of FedEx, corporate sponsor of the Washington Redslins, pushing hard for dropping the mascot:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/b ... story.html

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Geronimo
SEOP

Re: Cleveland Indians To Consider Name Change

Post by Geronimo »

JMO That's not racism !

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

As of today I guess I can still call them the Cleveland Indians, tomorrow who knows ? This name change comes up every few years, to me it's starting to get a little old. The Indians are inching closer to having all 58 of the players on their 60 man pool back on the field. On Wednesday manager Terry Francona said that outfielder Delino Deshields latest Covid-19 test came back negative, and is expected to travel to Cleveland on Wednesday. He'll have to go through another round of testing once he arrives, but if he tests negatively again, he'll be able to join his team in camp. Deshields had tested positive for the coronavirus prior to the start of camp, and had remained in Arizona until the negative result.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

When we spoke two years ago, baseball exec Mike Veeck said he was pleased, and thought his father Bill, the late Cleveland Indians owner would also be proud that the teams controversial "Chief Waho's" logo would be going away. Veeck also said then, about the NFL Washington Redskins franchise in clinging to it's nickname, that it was time for a change, and that he couldn't get the historic meaning argument, adding, what's wromg with correcting a bad idea /

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

To makes matter worse I even heard someone say they might call them the Cleveland Buckeyes. Of all the names that's all they can come up with? Columbus probably wouldn't let them have that name anyway. For gawd sakes they tried to own the word THE last year.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

9.5 INCHES wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:03 pm To makes matter worse I even heard someone say they might call them the Cleveland Buckeyes. Of all the names that's all they can come up with? Columbus probably wouldn't let them have that name anyway. For gawd sakes they tried to own the word THE last year.
As much as I hate to admit it, I will have to agree with you. The Cleveland Buckeyes just doesn't do it for me either. I never did understand the dispute over trying to claim the word, The last year. I think they even lost that case in court. You can bet that $$ had something to do with it though. They should just have a week-end contest, and let the Fans vote and come up with a nickname.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I agree with both of you. It don't sound right to begin with and it's a double whammy trying to use that name. Not only Columbus would raise a stink over it but the Cleveland Buckeyes are an old Negro League team, so you know the blacks are going have a problem too in todays cancel everything from history society.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

cbolt wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:43 pm I agree with both of you. It don't sound right to begin with and it's a double whammy trying to use that name. Not only Columbus would raise a stink over it but the Cleveland Buckeyes are an old Negro League team, so you know the blacks are going have a problem too in todays cancel everything from history society.
Thanks for the Information, I had no idea that there had ever been a Cleveland Buckeye baseball team before. Maybe we could just do away with all the professional teams having mascots or nicknames altogether ? That probably wouldn't go over very well in New York though, better strike that idea. Lol

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:37 pm
9.5 INCHES wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:03 pm To makes matter worse I even heard someone say they might call them the Cleveland Buckeyes. Of all the names that's all they can come up with? Columbus probably wouldn't let them have that name anyway. For gawd sakes they tried to own the word THE last year.
As much as I hate to admit it, I will have to agree with you. The Cleveland Buckeyes just doesn't do it for me either. I never did understand the dispute over trying to claim the word, The last year. I think they even lost that case in court. You can bet that $$ had something to do with it though. They should just have a week-end contest, and let the Fans vote and come up with a nickname.
The Cleveland Erie's.............Might as well......... be a good name as any other........Cleveland is right up against Lake Erie..............

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

9.5 INCHES wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:59 pm
VetteMan wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:37 pm
The Cleveland Erie's.............Might as well......... be a good name as any other........Cleveland is right up against Lake Erie..............
Sounds good to me. I wonder who will pick the name, and when will they pick it ? They should do it before the 60 game season starts, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

This is bull what's next Redman Chewing tobacco? If they still make it ?

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

Geronimo wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:24 am This is bull what's next Redman Chewing tobacco? If they still make it ?
I'm with ya........it is a bunch of bull poop....................

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Cleveland Indians and the Washington Redskins have used their respective nicknames for a combined " 192 yrs ". In a period of 10 hours Friday, both might have entered their final weeks of existence after decades of controversy. Cleveland announced that they have had " ongoing discussions on social justice and equality ", and will " determine the best path going forward with regard to our team name." Seven years ago, the team dropped Chief Wahoo as their primary logo, and removed the logo entirely from the uniforms. Neither Cleveland nor Washington announced a timetable for a decision.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:20 am The Cleveland Indians and the Washington Redskins have used their respective nicknames for a combined " 192 yrs ". In a period of 10 hours Friday, both might have entered their final weeks of existence after decades of controversy. Cleveland announced that they have had " ongoing discussions on social justice and equality ", and will " determine the best path going forward with regard to our team name." Seven years ago, the team dropped Chief Wahoo as their primary logo, and removed the logo entirely from the uniforms. Neither Cleveland nor Washington announced a timetable for a decision.
Well the Cleveland Indians were kind of left at the Alter today, as the Washington Redskins announced that the team intends to retire the teams nickname and it's logo. The decision comes after the franchise said on July 3rd that it would " undergo a thorough review of the teams name. ( Owner ) Dan Snyder and ( Coach ) Ron Rivera are working closely to develop a new name and design approach that will enhance the standing of our proud, tradition rich franchise and inspire our sponsors, fans, and our community for the next 100 years.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

WOW don't understand??? Nothing any more! :roll:

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

9.5 INCHES wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:44 pm
Geronimo wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:24 am This is bull what's next Redman Chewing tobacco? If they still make it ?

I haven’t done any research on this question

But what has been the re-action from Native American Tribes regarding this ? Do they feel as these names are racist or slander to them ?

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Utter nonsense!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

countywide35 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:07 pm
9.5 INCHES wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:44 pm

I haven’t done any research on this question

But what has been the re-action from Native American Tribes regarding this ? Do they feel as these names are racist or slander to them ?
When they can't think of something else to complain about, this topic comes up about every 6 or 7 years. I'm not sure that it's even the Native American Tribes that start the complaining.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

It will not surprise me at all, that one of these days that someone will want Ohio State to change their nickname, and not use the word "Buckeyes". I'm sure that the nickname "Buckeye" would probably be "Offensive" to some tree out there.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

LOL :lol: good one :!:

Return to “Pro Sports”