2023 Cincinnati Reds

BigGuy10
Varsity

Re: 2023 Cincinnati Reds

Post by BigGuy10 »

You can now consider me the Christian Encarnacion-Strand fan club! He is flat out seeing it like a beach ball! Batting 9/14 (.673!) with an OPS of 1.743!! 2 home runs and 9 RBI's. Crazy! I know it's Spring Training but still with having a full rebuild, what's the excuse to not play CES or Elly this season? What could it hurt?

Pitching is definitely the biggest ?? of the season. We have a good young core in Greene, Lodolo and Ashcraft but the key word is young. I would've liked to have seen us go out and get a trusted veteran that can help these guys out but instead we signed Luke Weaver.. it may pay off but doubtful. There's still a solid SP available who loves Cincinnati that can be signed for a league minimum contract but no one will take the risk with Trevor Bauer. I vote sign him but they won't do it

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Reds looked solid again last night as they beat the Rockies 6-1

Will Benson who looks like he's emerging as our starting CF to open the year goes 3/4 last night bringing his average to .538 and gets his 4th Stolen Base of the Spring.
Jose Barrero goes 2/3 bringing his spring average to .333 as he will compete with Kevin Newman for the starting SS position.
Christian Encarnacion-Strand continues to stay red hot going 2/3 with yet another homer. He is batting .647 now with 3 HR and 10 RBI which I believe is leading all of MLB this spring. I don't see how he doesn't make the OD roster especially since Votto will be out at the beginning to man 1st base for us.

The Reds (5-5) play today at 3:05 pm vs the Giants (3-8)
Last edited by BigGuy10 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

BigGuy10 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:16 am You can now consider me the Christian Encarnacion-Strand fan club! He is flat out seeing it like a beach ball! Batting 9/14 (.673!) with an OPS of 1.743!! 2 home runs and 9 RBI's. Crazy! I know it's Spring Training but still with having a full rebuild, what's the excuse to not play CES or Elly this season? What could it hurt?

Pitching is definitely the biggest ?? of the season. We have a good young core in Greene, Lodolo and Ashcraft but the key word is young. I would've liked to have seen us go out and get a trusted veteran that can help these guys out but instead we signed Luke Weaver.. it may pay off but doubtful. There's still a solid SP available who loves Cincinnati that can be signed for a league minimum contract but no one will take the risk with Trevor Bauer. I vote sign him but they won't do it
Bauer is an intriguing thought. His suspension is over. He could be signed for cheap. He has proven ability and could be an inning eater to take pressure off of the core three young pitchers.

Never will happen though. I do not think the Reds FO or fans would go for signing a sexual abuser (alleged) and a player who may have continued legal jeopardy and rumored substance abuse/anger issues.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Omega wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:54 am
BigGuy10 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:16 am You can now consider me the Christian Encarnacion-Strand fan club! He is flat out seeing it like a beach ball! Batting 9/14 (.673!) with an OPS of 1.743!! 2 home runs and 9 RBI's. Crazy! I know it's Spring Training but still with having a full rebuild, what's the excuse to not play CES or Elly this season? What could it hurt?

Bauer is an intriguing thought. His suspension is over. He could be signed for cheap. He has proven ability and could be an inning eater to take pressure off of the core three young pitchers.

Never will happen though. I do not think the Reds FO or fans would go for signing a sexual abuser (alleged) and a player who may have continued legal jeopardy and rumored substance abuse/anger issues.
I understand the skeletons that most teams would refrain from picking him up however, how many times have we seen athletes receive a second chance? Deshaun Watson for one, Marcell Ozuna, Ray Rice, I'm sure the list goes on. I think it's because Bauer has his own branding as well and is outspoken on different subjects and most people don't like when others are outspoken. I agree with what you're saying, my thought is that someone else will pick him up for cheap and I think he will thrive.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

BigGuy10 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:30 am
Omega wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:54 am

I understand the skeletons that most teams would refrain from picking him up however, how many times have we seen athletes receive a second chance? Deshaun Watson for one, Marcell Ozuna, Ray Rice, I'm sure the list goes on. I think it's because Bauer has his own branding as well and is outspoken on different subjects and most people don't like when others are outspoken. I agree with what you're saying, my thought is that someone else will pick him up for cheap and I think he will thrive.
And don't forget the Reds can save a million plus on salary by paying a total retread the MLB minimum.

Also I have read the Reds likely will not bring up CES, Marti, or De La Cruz to start the season. The FO will want to not burn their service time and start the players clock on arbitration eligibility. Again managing payroll now and in the future.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Could this be Reds starting to put the right mix together 🤔🤞

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Yesterday the Reds announced the following transactions:

Reassigned to minor league camp:
LHP Andrew Abbott
RHP Alan Busenitz
OF Allan Cerda
RHP Ben Lively
IF Alex McGarry
C Jhonny Pereda
RHP Connor Phillips

Invited to major league camp:
RHP Chase Anderson

No big surprises really on this list, just the first round of "cuts" being made to get closer to the OD roster

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

The Reds are now victorious in 3 straight games after beating the Giants 7-3 yesterday.
Jonathan India collects 2 doubles plus a walk
Chad Pinder goes 2/2 with a ground rule double and a walk
TJ Friedl is the big player of the game yesterday hitting a 3-run HR in the 1st inning to help the Reds jump out early and not look back

Cincinnati (6-5) faces off with the SD Padres (6-6) at 3:10 today

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Lineup vs the Padres today:
2B Jonathan India
C Tyler Stephenson
RF Wil Myers
LF Jake Fraley
DH Curt Casali
3B Spencer Steer
SS Jose Barrero
CF Will Benson
1B Christian Encarnacion-Strand

P Luke Weaver

Outside of the SP, this looks fairly close to who we'll see on OD (or at least I hope) I like this lineup today and hope they can mesh together to produce some runs

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Now 7-5 WOW 🤔

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Hunter Greene named opening day starting pitcher for the Reds:

https://www.mlb.com/news/hunter-greene- ... ene%20said.

Reds team pitching next to last in team era (7.17) through 15 spring training games:

https://www.mlb.com/stats/team/pitching?sortState=asc

Reds batting in terms of team ops (.804) is eight best through 15 spring training games:

https://www.mlb.com/stats/team

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Why don't they cut and move on ? To give players more time to get together ? There's a lot thats got to go. ? The sleeper ? Unless another team drops someone.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Reds latest transactions as of 3/13:

Reassigned to Minor League Camp:
IF Noelvi Marte (AA)
OF Michael Siani (AAA)
There are now 54 players remaining in Major League Camp

This just gives a lot of our youngers guys to face some big league caliber players and help make their name known. I'd guess after this week we will start seeing a handful of more cuts to be made to shrink the roster some. Also don't forget the Reds have a handful of players participating in the WBC this month - roughly 6 of them who are currently/have been on our big league roster and they're all relievers. Which could have an effect on our overall team ERA as stated above ^

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Trevor Bauer has signed a 1 year deal to play in Japan this upcoming season

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/358 ... play-japan

The 1 year deal is worth 4 million on top of what he'll still be making from what the Dodgers still owe him. This could either be his new baseball home for the long run or potentially give him a chance to prove himself and return back to the MLB in a later season.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Looks like the Reds will not start the season with hot young prospects Elly De La Cruz and Christian Encarcacion-Stroud on the major league roster:

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

At least the Reds put them in AAA opposed to AA which means we will see them much sooner than later if they continue to produce (as I'm very sure they will) including Matt McLain - I think we sometimes forget how good of a ball player he is as well!

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

The Reds today announced the following transactions:

Reassigned to minor league camp:
RHP Silvino Bracho
OF Stuart Fairchild (AAA)
IF/OF Alejo Lopez

Released LHP Daniel Norris

There are 40 players remaining in major league camp

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Steer at 3rd batting .333 not bad at all if the front office just leave things alone ?

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Haven't figured the Reds out yet there winning more ❓🤔

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Like I've thought all year, the Reds I don't think will be contenders by any means (and if they surprise us, even better lol) but I highly doubt we get close to losing 100 games again this year. Only reason we did last year was a mixture of bad injuries and a horrendous 3-22 start..

I think we will be competitive and sometime during the season will see some new faces make their debuts ;)

Return to “Pro Sports”