ITs NOW OFFICALLY MICHIGAN VS OHIO STATE WEEK!!

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Article from today's Columbus Dispatch about the OSU and you know who game. Mentions Tyler Whaley.

Ohio State notebook: OSU, Michigan losses won't ruin The Game
Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:22 AM
By Tim May, Ken Gordon and Scott Priestle

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Ohio State and Michigan both lost the week before The Game for the first time since 1959. But OSU defensive end Vernon Gholston said that doesn't spoil what will take place Saturday in Ann Arbor.

The winner will still be the outright Big Ten champion and at least gain an invitation to the Rose Bowl.

"That was one of our goals coming into the season," Gholston said. "The national championship may be out of reach, but the Big Ten is still there. We're just going to keep fighting."

Michigan (8-3, 6-1) was bushwhacked by Wisconsin in Madison, Wis., and the Buckeyes (10-1, 6-1) saw their record 20-game Big Ten win streak stopped.

The last time both teams lost before The Game was Nov. 14, 1959. Indiana beat Michigan 26-7 and Iowa knocked off Ohio State 16-7. Michigan went on to win The Game 23-14.

Despite the despair of getting knocked out of the national title race, the Buckeyes turned the page quickly to Michigan yesterday, senior right tackle Kirk Barton said, because now "that's the one. That's our shot, you know? We're going up there. They're tough, they're ready for us. We've got to get our team right."

Get off the O
When the game ended, jubilant Illinois players rushed to midfield. It did not appear anyone was stomping on the Block O logo or dancing, but just the fact some Illini players were there at all was enough to inflame raw emotions.

Some shoving broke out and harsh words exchanged. It was over in a minute or two.

"I know their emotions probably get the best of them," OSU running back Maurice Wells said. "It was a big-time win, they haven't had a big win like that in a long time. A couple years earlier, they were pretty bad.

"But I just don't think that was right way to do it. They could have been a little more classy about it. They were high on emotions and they had just beaten the No. 1 team in the nation in our stadium, so it's understandable."

Vindication for Zook
Illinois coach Ron Zook was booed out of Florida, only to watch players he recruited win a national championship last season under his replacement, Urban Meyer. It seemed to solidify his reputation as a great recruiter but middling coach.

Now that the Illini are 8-3 and in position to play in a New Year's Day bowl game, that reputation might need to be updated. Certainly, beating the top-ranked team in the nation on the road will help Zook's image.

"I'm not going to say it didn't hurt when people question whether you can coach or not," he said. "But if you believe in something and you know you're doing the right thing, you just have to stay the course. Sometimes it gets hard, but you keep doing it. I think that's what life's all about. Hopefully, our players are learning that, as well."

New Illini targets
For most of the season, Illinois receivers Brian Gamble and Marques Wilkins have been side dishes on the end of the table, easy for offensive coordinator Mike Locksley to overlook. He could fill his plate with running plays and a helping of freshman receiver Arrelious Benn.

That changed yesterday when Ohio State's defense loaded up to stop the run and Benn was knocked from the game because of a concussion. Locksley called a handful of play-action passes that worked to perfection, including touchdown catches by Gamble in the second quarter and Wilkins in the third. Each was wide open.

"I couldn't wait for the ball to get there," Gamble said.

Buckeye bits
Ohio State's school-record streak of 28 straight regular-season wins also ended. . . . Linebacker Marcus Freeman had a career-high 18 tackles. . . . Fullback Tyler Whaley, converted from center before the season, had his first career reception, for 4 yards. . . . Before yesterday, the longest run against Ohio State this season was 28 yards. On the Illini's second play, Daniel Dufrene broke up the middle for 80 yards.

rockhillbasketball
All Conference

Post by rockhillbasketball »

O-H..

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

I - O !!!!!

buckeye21
JV Team

Post by buckeye21 »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:The season ended today as far as I am concerned.

What a poor excuse for a fan! :roll:

Well despite some of the sore loser fans on here I still love the Buckeyes and I'm still excited about the possiblities of this season. Yes the National Championship is out the window but last time I checked there were 119 teams in D-1 so it's sort of tough to win the title. I'm still proud to be a Buckeye and I'm still pumped for THE GAME!!!!!

Lets go BUCKS!!! Beat Michigan!!!

phishing
Waterboy

Post by phishing »

hey they lost as a fan you hate it but that doesnt mean you take down the yard flag and burn your shirts does it? Go Bucks take the team up north down.

May the Birds of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose.
BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

For the bucks to win Todd cant be throwing ints and chris wells has to be good and they have to stop Maningham because i think if it comes down to one play make or break for michigan it will be to Mario

For the Best team of all The Michigan wolverines to win they have to contain the dangerous chris wells but keep a close eye on Boekman becasue he can run and pass. Get the ball to Mario!

Good luck to Both teams

Go BLue

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

LETS GO BUCKEYES PROVE YOU ARE FOR REAL AGAIN THIS YEAR..

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
DAC10
Waterboy

Post by DAC10 »

I think the Bucks will win. I am not sure what happened Saturday, other than they crumbled under pressure. I mean the wide opened receivers for Illinoise was unbeleavable. I stated to my family at the beginning of the season that Illinoise was going to be the ones to give Ohio State the most trouble.....but that doesn't mean that I expected a loss. It's a heartbreaker for us fans, but, we know what this team is capable of. This week is always the best week for Ohio State fans, no matter what. Go Bucks!!!!!!!

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

O-H

crafty left-hander
Freshman Team

Post by crafty left-hander »

Let me just say one thing. I am the biggest Buckeye fan in the world, but you have to realize, you lost a heisman winner, two recievers to the first round, and your starting running back, and if somebody told you we were going to go 11-1 in the regular season, win the big ten out right and play in the Rose Bowl you wouldn't be happy? Sure I want to play in the National Championship every year and so does everyone else, but wake up that is almost impossible. Now you have to go beat Michigan and play in the Rose Bowl. Let's go get em!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=UM%2FOSU

Great Video

tabibeeto
Waterboy

Post by tabibeeto »

rockhillbasketball wrote:
Sad to see T.B. play so poorly today.

same here

:evil: :evil: You two make me sick.You are bandwagon fans and dont let anyone tell you different!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

tabibeeto
Waterboy

Post by tabibeeto »

BigMcCauley55 wrote:For the bucks to win Todd cant be throwing ints and chris wells has to be good and they have to stop Maningham because i think if it comes down to one play make or break for michigan it will be to Mario

you have to be able to get him the ball first which you had alittle bit of a problem with that saturday. :shock:
Last edited by tabibeeto on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Oho State was made out to be a sham today on
a national stage. Mark May will be unbearable
to listen to on ESPN (he picked Illinois).

MARK MAYS AN IDIOT!! HIS JUST ANOTHER BIG TEN HATER.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

CHEER UP PEOPLE, YOU CAN'T WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP EVERY YEAR.

its great that we hold ohio state in such high esteem, and they were there. i personally think they lost heart , since they knew michigan went down. the defense was terrible. could not stop the run all day. juice williams never really got busted good in the mouth 1 play running that option, he should have been hit all day long. and the line did not give todd boeckman time to throw, he's a great find, and only a junior, but it just was not the bucks day.

now we must go take the big ten title outright this saturday from michigan, end up in a fantastic bowl game, and hope for some help. ALL IN ALL, A SUPER BUCKEYE SEASON, I'LL TAKE THIS EVERY YEAR. 8) 8) 8) 8)

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

tabibeeto wrote:
BigMcCauley55 wrote:For the bucks to win Todd cant be throwing ints and chris wells has to be good and they have to stop Maningham because i think if it comes down to one play make or break for michigan it will be to Mario

you have to be able to get him the ball first which you had alittle bit of a problem with that saturday. :shock:
i know but he did get it he made plays i dont think he was covered good enough for them not to give him the ball

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

Come on guys!! Stop with this "the season ended this weekend" crap!! YES, OSU lost.....YES, we are disappointed......BUT, one of my friends and fellow Buckeye, put it in calming terms for me.........THIS IS A TEAM THAT EVERYONE SAID WAS STILL A YEAR AWAY!! NO ONE, and I mean no one could have dreamed at the start of the year that OSU would have the chance to be 11-1 with a trip to the Rose Bowl on the line! Yes, it REALLY sucks that we are most likely out of the BCS NC picture......but again......THIS TEAM WAS VIEWED BY MOST AS STILL A YEAR AWAY!! Big-10 Champs and a trip to the Rose Bowl....NOT TO SHABBY!!

GO BUCKS!!

tabibeeto
Waterboy

Post by tabibeeto »

BigMcCauley55 wrote:
tabibeeto wrote:

i know but he did get it he made plays i dont think he was covered good enough for them not to give him the ball

One thing I didnt like was him and the young quarter back on the side lines I think one of the coaches should have reminded him he is a reciever and not a coach.also he might have been the problem in the game by playing bully to the freshman QB.I felt like after all that happened the Qb started forcing the ball into him and number 16.I felt sorry for the youngster they need to keep the players of his back and he will do better.IMO of course.

oak hill71
All State

Post by oak hill71 »

tabibeeto wrote:

same here

:evil: :evil: You two make me sick.You are bandwagon fans and dont let anyone tell you different!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I believe rockhillbasketball was saying he agreed with the part about Boeckman.

tabibeeto
Waterboy

Post by tabibeeto »

oak hill71 wrote:
tabibeeto wrote:

same here

I believe rockhillbasketball was saying he agreed with the part about Boeckman.

Well if that is the case then I apologize.

All-AmericanBalla
Riding the Bench

Post by All-AmericanBalla »

this is a rival game so as it always gos wit these games anything can happen im gona give the edge to the blue tho bc now they wanna prove themselves all ova again but then i think osu will feel the same way. its a toss up. boeckmans name should never have been spoken fo fo the hiesman. he has nothin. absolutely nothin. he wouldnt have had to "run" the ball if he was halfway decent in the pocket haha which he aint. but thats a whole new ballgame. once again osu is put up on some kinda pedistal just to be a huge disapointment to all "their fans". GO BLUE

Return to “College Sports”