Are you disappointed in Diebler?

mhs82
Freshman Team

Are you disappointed in Diebler?

Post by mhs82 »

There is a topic on another forum about whether or not people are disappointed in Jon Diebler's performance. Granted I have not gotten to see many OSU games here in SW Ohio, however I think the kid stepped into a difficult situation where he was forced to produce right from the start. I saw him a few times in high school and I think he is a baller. IMO those who are criticizing him are expecting too much to soon. I think eventually he will be a star in the Big 10. Am I wrong or do others see his potential also?

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I think people expect too much from freshmen after the performances of Conley and Oden last year. Those two were pure phenoms.

Let's put it this way, Butler was terrible his freshman season. I think he turned out ok.

Deibler will eventually be a big time outside shooter for OSU.

Evan Turner will be a stud.

Hopefully, Koufas will toughen up.

Lauderdale will be a physical beast.

Wallace will polish his skills and be a nice player at OSU.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I am in his shooting.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

He will get better. The college game is much different compared to the high school game. He will make his adjustments and get better as the year goes on. I for one think he has done a fine job and at times, has shown signs of his old shooting ways from high school. Next year, no one will even remember the struggles he had. He will be a beast.

henrysteele
JV Team

Post by henrysteele »

Diebler scored 14 points the other night. That isn't bad for a frosh coming off the bench.

I am very impressed with Diebler's game. He is a much better defensive player than I expected.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If he can stay with the program he will be fine

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

He is a very good player . I'm kinda glad in a way maybe he will stay all four years now.

beleagle05
JV Team

Post by beleagle05 »

Every good shooter goes through times where shots simply arent falling. I'm pretty sure Diebler is getting his shot back..he's scored 14 each of the last 2 games, and is a total of 6-13 from beyond the arc.

IN TRESSEL WE TRUST
Bobcat Thunder
Freshman Team

Post by Bobcat Thunder »

His play suprises me somewhat, but not really.

The talent that he was facing on a game-to-game basis at OSU is no where near what he faced in high school. And this isn't the usual transition...there's a BIG difference. I went to an NOL school (Bellevue) and it isn't a very good conference. There is usually one to two good teams that make it pretty far in the tournament (Willard and Upper-2000s, Bellevue-1990s, Willard-1970s and 1980s), but that is it. Top to bottom, it isn't good at all. And playing a couple of good out-of-conference games in your senior year (McClain, St. X) isn't going to make up for that. Better defense plays a big role, no matter how good you are.

Also, the up-tempo style of play and full court press that Upper Sandusky played allowed him to get a lot more looks--and, thus, more points. Don't get me wrong, he is a great shooter...he wouldn't be the all-time leading scorer in Ohio High School Basketball if he wasn't. But still, more shots means more points.

Give it time, he'll be ready next year.

Region 15
JV Team

Post by Region 15 »

Not disappointed but after such a great high school career, I expected more up to this point.

brutally honest
Varsity

Post by brutally honest »

not at all. he was playing against average kids in high school and now hes playing very skilled grown men in colllege. give him a little more time and he will have 20 a game but dont look for him to ever score the way he did in high school.

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

Just give him some time, he's a young college player. His game still needs to develop some and once it does, he will be very good.

Diehard Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Diehard Fan »

25 games should be enough time to start feeling comfortable, he should be scorching the nets by now.

beleagle05
JV Team

Post by beleagle05 »

Diehard Fan wrote:25 games should be enough time to start feeling comfortable, he should be scorching the nets by now.

he's still just a freshman playing against a group of guys that are all better than any one player he played against in 80-90% of his games last year.

IN TRESSEL WE TRUST
Atownfan2005
Waterboy

Re: Are you disappointed in Diebler?

Post by Atownfan2005 »

I'm not...he is a freshman, its hard to produce the big numbers as a freshman when really if those guys would have stayed he would most likly had been redshirted this year. but they didnt and he got put in a situation that he has play. but he will get better, this kid is a winner, and he wants to be a great player, he will work hard in the off season to perfect his shot. Oh and i still wish he would had went to a MAC school, mainly Ohio U. I think if he would had went to a MAC school this would be a differnt topic...maybe

brutally honest
Varsity

Post by brutally honest »

I don't know if a MAC school would have been best for him. He is definitely a top tier division one caliber player. If he should go to a different school it should be Cincinnati :-D

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

I'm not disappointed in him at all. He's a freshman adjusting to the speed and to a different view (more open) than what he saw in H.S. He also is playing on a very young team and Butler is doing everything he can, but there is only so much he can do. This team is a season away. I hope they sneak into the NCAA and get some experience for next season and maybe pull a couple of upsets on their way.

Michael Scott
Riding the Bench

Post by Michael Scott »

I would say I am 50-50 in the disappointment of Diebler. He is a freshman, that is why I don't think any smart person would write him off. But, he is so streaky and seems to lack the confidence he should have. He played in a great system in high school. The streakiness is what really bothers me about his game, he will be a good player but I don't ever expect him to be 1st team big ten or anything.

Return to “College Sports”