Todd McShay would kick Mel Kipers Butt!

Orestes
S

Re: Todd McShay would kick Mel Kipers Butt!

Post by Orestes »

Beanie is 6'1" and 240 LBS. Eddie George was 6'3" and 230 LBS. Eddie was taller and thinner.

NB is attempting to wager McShay about Beanie, assuming Beanie has a healthy season. McShay has not returned the call, but both Rome and Cowherd assured NB that they would make sure he got the word.

NB has basically said that McShay is toying with OSU fans. The more he leaves out and insults OSU players, the more emails and "hits" he gets on his sites and articles. ESPN is not concerned with accountability or solid news. They like attention, much like Entertainment Tonight. I have friends who work there, and they say the same thing constantly. It's all about what can get them attention and ratings. Not solid journalism or accurate predicting.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

What exactly are you refering to with accountability? ESPN is not accurate in reporting? Are you honestly taking yourself serious when you write this stuff? Cause ESPN doesn't report everything in sports before anyone else. Wow. Of all the things you have said I think this one really takes the cake.

Again, this all goes back to all you typical OSU fans who think every player that ever plays at OSU should be drafted in the 1st round.

Talk about a man crush you and NB should get an apartment together and live happily-ever-after.

Since when has NB been in the business of evaluating NFL talent? Why does this guy like to bet money on everything? He is willing to bet that Beanie will what be the next Jim Brown, I will take that bet right now, all that I have.

Beanie may not be as tall as Eddie but he runs like him. Straight up and down much like Eddie. If anyone is the next coming it is Adrian Petterson, and Beanie is not Petterson.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I am saying that ESPN talking heads can make any assinine comments they want, then will not be held accountable when they are wrong. They will just move on and rant about something else. It is about creating drama and hype, and the public that notices is never given the stage to speak. Most of the public just eats the BS that is fed to them and takes it all in without question. This is media 101.

Speaking of hyperbole, I will now address your comments about OSU fans thinking all OSU players should be drafted. Overstate much? I have never made such a comment, so put that stuff away. You don't help your argument much when you put words in my mouth.

NB is not an expert on NFL talent. However, he is in close business with those who are, and with those who have the opinions that actually count. He wants to bet that Beanie absolutely goes in the 1st round if healthy in 2008. He said that Beanie has a legit shot at the top 5 according to NFL GMs. However, right now he has injury questions, and sometimes RBs do not have long shelf lives. He says 1st round lock with good health.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

LOL, your really teaching me something I never knew before media 101. Actually principals of writing are useually in Broadcast journalism 101 courses.

This all stims from someone not showing your Buckeye Nation love like you think they deserve, or should be PRAISED in most eyes.

When is the last time you talked about something other than OSU with an unbiased viewpoint?

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

At some schools there are differences between "media" courses and "journalism" courses. The media courses I speak of are teaching about the influence the media can demonstrate, and the many ways in which that influence can be effectively used. I'm talking lighting, camera shots, gestures, tone, etc. All of these can be used to sway the audiences opinion of a person, place, or thing. ESPN is a master at opinion creation.

ESPN's owner is a USC Alum and booster.

When Pete Carroll is pictured on ESPN, he has a tan and a huge smile. It is a very flattering picture, even for Petey.

When Jim Tressel is pictured on ESPN, his face is pushed up against his neck and he looks ridiculous. He may not be as good-looking as Carroll, but the picture ESPN uses is the worst picture of JT I have ever seen. The only different one I have seen them use was during the MC/Troy Smith issues. In that case, the picture of JT was of him wearing dark sunglasses, and looking straight faced to the side of the camera. Slick looking. All of these are used to help lengthen the anti-OSU sentiment nationwide. They are the bad guy. A team people love to hate. Why not make it even easier to hate them while being subtle?

I do NOT think there is an ESPN conspiracy against OSU. I think ESPN hates the Big Ten Network. I think they also realize that OSU has a huge, passionate fanbase, and a huge, passionate nationwide hategroup. Taking shots at OSU creates ratings and emails. Meanwhile, ESPN's head man just wants to protect his team. I think ESPN manipulates opinions on a large variety of subjects. OSU is not the lone receiver.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

This doesn't do anything for the McShay/Kiper argument, but since you won't address McShay's top 10 with 7 SEC guys and 2 USC guys, I will just post this article. Yes, McShay is a freaking genius.

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/04/todd-mcshay-is-slowly-getting-worse-at.html

Please note the open letter to McShay at the bottom also....

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

You are a real master of conspiracy theories. Paranoid anyone? You can’t really believe this stuff. So the same old picture of JT is used every time he is mentioned or his team? Are you serious?

You are getting as ridiculous as anyone I have seen on this board.

OSU deserved or not has made themselves open to shots taken by the media because everyone proclaimed them two years ago the best team of all time, and than they were destroyed and embarrassed.

I have no problem with McShay picking 2 USC players (who just happened to have the most 1st rounde picks this year) or the SEC players. What else do you want; he has two Buckeyes going in the first round? You would think he had forgotten them altogether.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

"WW: Does the ESPN-zation of sports bother you? For example, does it bother you that ESPN seems to have every columnist on the country on its payroll and that these journalists seem to take a black or white position on every topic?

Bob Costas: Well, it's not like I'm losing sleep over it, but I think any reasonable person rolls their eyes to a certain extent about that. It's just not possible for a reasonable person to be that stoked up about 15 different sports topics every day -- to have a passionate black-and white, thumbs up-thumbs-down opinion on every single sports topic. That just defies common sense. And yet if that's the fuel on which this engine runs, then if you want to be on the air you have to come with a "take" on these topics that doesn't allow for much subtlety or shades of gray. So everything is buy-sell, true-false, fact or fiction. But very, very few people I know view many topics that way.

WW: And does that bother you, in terms of the journalism?

Bob Costas: It's just entertainment. At its best it's just informed conversation. It's not journalism."

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Point?

Yes ESPN is entertainment, don't like it, don't watch.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

peake wrote:Point?

Yes ESPN is entertainment, don't like it, don't watch.

Yep. I watch their game broadcasts, and that is it. I hear on message boards what is being said by these guys.

I will tell you though, that my words about ESPN are not guesses. Simple as that.

My friend who is a head video editor for ESPN has said that he does not edit highlights and clips just for great plays and looks. He is under instruction to try and make certain people look good and others look bad. They like to create villians and heros. They create hype and drama. The agenda is to erase competition (BTN) and to gain emails and viewers. They are not worried about journalistic credibility or accountability.

He told me that Mark May and Lou Holtz are scripted. Some of the opinions they speak are not actually their opinions. He is focused mainly on college football, and says that ESPN wants certain matchups and will sway public opinion to try and get their selected matchup. The video edits and the talking heads do the work.

Since he has been employed at ESPN, he calls it ET for sports. No substance, just hype and drama with an agenda.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

DID MCSHAY MISLEAD WOODSON?
Posted by Mike Florio on May 13, 2008, 9:30 a.m.
In response to the news that Kentucky quarterback Andre Woodson was under the mistaken impression that he’d be drafted in the second round of last month’s draft, one league source is pointing the blame directly at Todd McShay and other wannabe scouts who don’t know as much as they think they know about what teams will do.

We tried to search ESPN.com for McShay’s 2008 mock drafts. His final 2008 mock draft now comes up as “null.” The Scouts Inc. final mock, prepared by McShay and two others, is still alive.

In that mock draft, McShay and company had Woodson going in round three to the Bears. Instead, Woodson was selected in round six by the New York Giants.

The following is an opinion that was passed along to us by the source, based on McShay’s assessment of Woodson.

“The problem with people like McShay is that they have no accountability,” the source said. “They can say what they want and when they are wrong no one cares, [except] the kid’s family. McShay could not get a job with any NFL team, even as an intern. He is a very poor evaluator. He proved it with his evaluation of Woodson.

“Woodson’s problem, and most everyone in the league saw it, was he has a very slow release and he stares down his receivers. In our league, he would get a very high percentage of interceptions because of his flaws. His accuracy is very average at best, so you put a slow release, not good accuracy, and stares down receivers and you get a guy who can’t play quarterback in the NFL.

“The networks should hire real scouts not wannabes like McShay. The other kid at ESPN, Jeremy Green, was fired after a couple of years with a club because he couldn’t evaluate, yet he is an “expert” with ESPN. These guys make more than twice as much money as real scouts and they don’t have a clue. ESPN should grade what these guys say and fire them when they are wrong a lot more often than when they are right.”

Moving forward, we’ll be keeping a close eye on what McShay has to say, especially since he seems to be the “hair” apparent to Mel Kiper. And, apparently, we’ll need to print off all of McShay’s mock drafts, since after the fact they can’t be found in a medium that ordinarily is premised on saving stuff, not deleting it.

In saying this, we full acknowledge the fact that we offer up our own periodic mock drafts in the weeks leading up to the draft. But ours isn’t based on our own scouting assessment of the players; we do it based on the things we hear from folks in the know. Even then, our mock draft often is a complete mess, too.

It would be even more of a mess if we pretended to be scouts.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

They are both don't know what they are talking about

Two words JaMarucas Russel

He will be a complete failure, will never lead the Raiders to anywhere but another top 10 draft pick

Return to “College Sports”