Big News coming this summer

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Re: Big News coming this summer

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

I could care less about whether they were deserving/undeserving (I seem to recall that NOBODY in the Big East controlled their own destiny for crying out loud!), but the rules were completely looked over.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

They change them rules so much it takes a Harvard professor to keep up! I think the rule that did them in was "any conference with 2 or more teams in the top 14 must be selected" Michigan was 13th,so Boise gets relegated to a pre Christmas bowl even though they finished 7th way ahead of Michigan!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

The BCS isn't designed to do anything but get the #1 and #2 teams in the same game.
The member bowls still get the freedom to pick their non-title matchups.

It's not the BCS's fault that Boise didn't make a BCS member bowl.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Well then if the BCS doesn't think a team ranked 7th in their own rankings deserves a Bowl game over a team ranked 13th they need to be disbanded! I'm not knocking Michigan I'm glad they got it, the big ten needed it for sure! It just reeks with hyprocrisy, let the playoffs begin.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

The BCS can think that, but it doesn't have anything to do with what bowls pick which schools

The Sugar bowl lost its automatic bid in LSU, and it's logical backup in Bama. They had 2 at large births to pick whomever they chose. They went for money, and what teams are proven travelers with fan bases that would fill New Orleans hotels.

Once the top 2 are determined, it's not fully about rankings. It's about, did you meet the requirements of BCS bowl entry (both Sugar Bowl teams did) and will your school help us turn a profit and bring revenue to the host city. Both Michigan and VTech are bigger and better draws than Boise when revenue is on the table. People might have watched on tv in higher numbers to see Boise instead of VTech, but TV ratings don't buy beer on Bourbon St!

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Yea I forgot the other bowls get to make their own choice and once again all about money,they probably thought Michigam would have more viewers than little ole Boise,,system still stinks IMO

buckeyes41
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyes41 »

I dont believe anyone should be ranked before the season starts. Give a couple of weeks before any rankings come out. It makes it hard for teams that gets pre ranked at 12 or more to move up. But if you are pre ranked in the top 5, well, skies the limit. hard to get knocked down.
As far as Boise is concerned, I read where someone said they need to strengthen their schedule. That is true but which big school wants to take that chance???

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

buckeyes41 wrote:I dont believe anyone should be ranked before the season starts. Give a couple of weeks before any rankings come out. It makes it hard for teams that gets pre ranked at 12 or more to move up. But if you are pre ranked in the top 5, well, skies the limit. hard to get knocked down.
As far as Boise is concerned, I read where someone said they need to strengthen their schedule. That is true but which big school wants to take that chance???
I Agree......... Boise St says they will play anyone antime anywhere notice though half of the big games they play UGA, Va tech are at Neutral fields from what I hear they want a lot of money to come play you at your place but dont quote me on that
Last edited by VegasEagle on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

They want to act and talk like a big school, but get paid like a small school on the road!

When top level programs go on the road, they don't get the million dollar paydays that small schools do.

If Boise wants to be a big time program, then they need to act like it, and stop demanding a welfare check from high level schools to play on the road!

The General
All State

Post by The General »

E.DUBS.GEE....The youngest child of E.GORDON :) Railing against "The Sisters of The Poor"... :lol:

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

Dubs- if the BCS bowls select their representatives, why are there so many rules on who gets in and who doesn't? I don't understand the politics part. What happens on the field, yes, but not this stuff.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

The General wrote:E.DUBS.GEE....The youngest child of E.GORDON :) Railing against "The Sisters of The Poor"... :lol:
That's good stuff, I like it!
And when either one of us is wrong about the Sisters, it'll be the first time!

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

VegasEagle wrote:
buckeyes41 wrote:I dont believe anyone should be ranked before the season starts. Give a couple of weeks before any rankings come out. It makes it hard for teams that gets pre ranked at 12 or more to move up. But if you are pre ranked in the top 5, well, skies the limit. hard to get knocked down.
I Agree......... Boise St says they will play anyone antime anywhere notice though half of the big games they play UGA, Va tech are at Neutral fields from what I hear they want a lot of money to come play you at your place but dont quote me on that
I don't believe that for a minute! People seem to forget they went into Toledo,does Toledo have as much money as the big powers?

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:They want to act and talk like a big school, but get paid like a small school on the road!

When top level programs go on the road, they don't get the million dollar paydays that small schools do.

If Boise wants to be a big time program, then they need to act like it, and stop demanding a welfare check from high level schools to play on the road!
When those top level programs go on the road they might not get the million dollar payday the small schools do but they do get a return game.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

C-Bolt wrote:
VegasEagle wrote:
I don't believe that for a minute! People seem to forget they went into Toledo,does Toledo have as much money as the big powers?
No Toledo doesnt but from what a friend has told me who is a big Nebraska fan and his family are alum.... He said when Neb. talked to BSU about a 3 game series 2 at Neb and one in Boise BSU wanted 3.5 million to do so but like I said DONT QUOTE ME ON THAT im not for sure

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

^^^I could see asking for $1Mill for a 2 for 1 but asking $3.5 Mill..... that's crazy. Don't blame anyone for turning them down on that request.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

Raiderball wrote:^^^I could see asking for $1Mill for a 2 for 1 but asking $3.5 Mill..... that's crazy. Don't blame anyone for turning them down on that request.
Thats what im saying bu doing that I can see why nobody would play them... Then they turn around and can play the nobody will play us because they are afraid card...

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

Looks like my buddy was wrong i did some resarch and this is what I got http://omaha.com/article/20100908/SPORTS/709089803/0#
Take it for what its worth

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Raiderball wrote:
seofan_via_dublin wrote:They want to act and talk like a big school, but get paid like a small school on the road!

When those top level programs go on the road they might not get the million dollar payday the small schools do but they do get a return game.
BOISE has a stadium about the size of Marshall's. They won't get a return game from big schools.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

That's a good point about their stadium size Dub! But hasn't Ohio State paid a million or close to it for teams to come play them? Don't see what the big deal is about a team wanting a million to go play in someone else house.Nebraska must be cheasy!

Return to “College Sports”