Texas vs. Ohio State

Who Wins?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:05 am

Total votes: 0

Orestes
S

Re: Texas vs. Ohio State

Post by Orestes »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:How many more big time games must Ohio State lose before some realize that the current staff is not getting the job done? Is anyone at the point now of thinking changes are needed? Has the light be shined bright enough to show anyone that Tressel ball does not work against top notch teams. Or is everyone happy with being the laughing stock of the nation when it comes to college football.

Bush Lied....

Our Government sucks...

My team has won 88% of their games but they suck....

Basketball team plays a good team and loses.... again...suck...

Idiotic sheeple laugh at OSU even though they are more successful than 98% of the other teams.... Ugh... Sucks.....

Too bad I don't hold myself to the standards that I hold Jim Tressel.... He sucks....

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

A post from another board.....

Just going back to 2005:
Texas - a few errors in execution (dropped TD pass, mised long FG in 4th qr, missed tackle in end zone on KO return by Tex), and a few coaching errors (pooch KO, QB rotation)

PennSt - Troy still coming into his own and still mistake prone. Buzzsaw situation with a good team having a special year playing at home at night.

Fla - Still the one loss that continues to haunt the Bucks reputtionally (think if they had even lost a close game - all this talk would never have existed). The most inexplicable performance in the JT era. I have never even been able to analyze. Just a lack of preparation, accountability which needs to be shared by coaches and players.

Illinois - These things happen once in a while. An athletic QB has a career performance against a team that probably wasn't as good as advertised. Our QB was leveling off as far as performance, and we couldn't get the D off of the field on 3rd down (familiar theme with this year's Fiesta)

LSU - Frankly, we were probably 14 points worse than that team. They were finaly healthy and playing at home with a veteran team. Still, the most disappointing aspect was their converting 3rd downs and our penalties/turnovers.

USC - They were just better, Beanie didn't play and Boeckman, plus our OL was a rotton matchup against that D.

Penn St - a bit too conservative on the coaching side, and OSU Fr QB makes a critical mistake late.

Texas - Evenly matched game. Texas has more veteran QB. Obviously our starting QB was NOT 100% physically. 3rd qr, we just got schooled from a coaching perspective.

Look that's not a detailed explanation of everyting that went wrong in those games, but my recollections of the main issue(s). Despite the outcry, it hasn't always been overly conservative playcalling, bad OL play, or passive defense. Its a host of things, some which needs to be addressed by the coaches going forward, and some unfortunately which is the nature of CFB (new inexperienced guys playing key roles, the otehr team playing out of their minds, etc). From a natrional perception standpoint, at least monday did not provide additonal fodder for the "experts". But its going to take a win against USC next year to get the monkey off of OSU's back. The Fla game unfortunately and unfairly continues to define the program nationally, and needs nullified by another BIG non-conference win.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

This will be a big summer for Pryor. The kid is still struggling throwing the football. I said from the start of the season they should have two QB's in the game. Many of his big passes are after he buys time by scrambling. He still has a lot of trouble throwing whie setting up in the pocket.

I remember when he said a reason he didn't want to go to Michigan was because he wanted to be more of a pro-style QB. The majority of his snaps come out of the gun (or the pistol) formation. When he is under center I would venture to say they run Beanie about 60- 75% of the time.

This will be a huge summer for him, because if you watched OSU against teams with a pulse (PSU, USC, Texas) they sold out to stop Pryor by stacking the box. I see the progression in his reads this season, but I still see him struggling with technique.

I was listening to the ESPN Radio Broadcast of the game and they kept repeating how if you force Pryor to beat you with his arm then OSU is in trouble.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Orestes wrote:
newarkcatholicfan wrote:How many more big time games must Ohio State lose before some realize that the current staff is not getting the job done? Is anyone at the point now of thinking changes are needed? Has the light be shined bright enough to show anyone that Tressel ball does not work against top notch teams. Or is everyone happy with being the laughing stock of the nation when it comes to college football.

Bush Lied....

Our Government sucks...

My team has won 88% of their games but they suck....

Basketball team plays a good team and loses.... again...suck...

Idiotic sheeple laugh at OSU even though they are more successful than 98% of the other teams.... Ugh... Sucks.....

Too bad I don't hold myself to the standards that I hold Jim Tressel.... He sucks....

You forgot..."And gas and oil will one day rise again...I'm sure of it....until then I'll post daily accounts.....ugh....sucks"

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Next season and thereafter I will continue to support the Buckeyes and as long as Jim Tressel continues to have the overall success rate that he has and continues to lead the young men on the team the way that he does I see no reason for that to change. When I speak with the Buckeye boys you hear nothing but the deep respect that they have for the man and most can give specific examples of how he has given then advice and led them to make life choices that matter. Above all that has earned him my respect.

Go Bucks!!!!!!!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

hey, i'm as big of a buckeyes fan as anybody. but i'm sick of this jim tressel has the last word in what goes on. that entire drive they should have been in a 3-3-5 , or a 4-2-5. not showing 8/9 man fronts. the bucks are way better than mediocre. but we should have won that game. no way you blitz a team, that is running out of time, has to score a td to win. on like 3rd and 3. thats insanity. all the qb has to do is throw up a jump ball, anybody gets past the first level he's gone , and thats what happened. we've been outcoached 3 years in a row. and we have the players. tresel should have called a timeout. and said to the defense. it's been a long night on defense, but no blitzing, and nobody, i mean nobody gets behind you, if you have to pull their pants down. the roughing the passer call was bogus. that led to a texas score. but we were not even set the play after. same thing happened in the lsu game. ohio state had a penalty, all out of whack, not ready, or even set. boom td pass. we bring the best athletes to osu in the country. it's not right that officiating , and coaching should cost them national championships. it's took me three days to settle down over this. they were in a position to win that game, had the lead. and very nearly intercepted a pass a couple plays prior. but that blitz, on that play will have reprecussions for 2/3 years in recruiting, wait and see.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I feel these things run in cycles. The Big 12 couldn't get out of their own shadow 10 years ago. Mack Brown couldn't win the Big One. Miami was an unstoppable machine. USC lost on a regular basis to Notre Dame. Relax everybody, the Big Ten is not going to be the next MAC and Ohio State isn't Nebraska (remember them?). A little perspective and some history will serve us all well. I just hope Michigan doesn't find its Mojo anytime soon 'cause you know they eventually will. CHILL

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

wonder why the pay Trss so much money?

looks like anyone can do the simple job he does :roll:

hard to believe when you look at his record, and stil have all the negative comments, its not as easy as it looks to win College football games, let alone make it to bowl games year after year, he is doing what Columbus pays him to do, put buts in seast at home games,Ohio State is making a kiling off footbal games

Yossarian
Freshman Team

Post by Yossarian »

YTB, I agree. Has anyone else thought of how many games are lost due to mental mistakes. No time out in this one, everyone in the box with time running out. Texas losing on a last second pass play when the db should have just pushed the guy out of bounds instead he went for the ball. To me there is not enough what we used to call skull sessions where the mental aspect is taught. The bucks lost because they didn't think. To me there is no excuse for that at this level players or coaches.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

fatalbert wrote:Tressell is the best coach in the NFL,and we have pee wee coaches on here saying they could have done better?

man, i like OSU as much as the next guy but i wouldn't put them in the NFL just yet :shock: :lol:

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

fatalbert wrote:Tressell is the best coach in the NFL....
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

Orestes wrote:
Amen Corner wrote:Tress and Heacock blew it........

Heacock?.... Seriously?..... I mean... Seriously?

You complain about Heacock's defense when the offense has been performing like it has been for a few years now?

What do you want from him? Since his start in 2005, OSU has given up an average of fewer points than any other team in college football. Any.

People moan when he rushes 3 or 4 and plays with zone coverage.

Well, he blitzed like crazy against UT and went man-to-man quite a bit.

Dam ned if you do and dam ned if you don't...

I would love for someone to tell me the defenses he used, how often we used which coverages, and what personnel packages he used most frequently. How did Heacock blow it? Explain.

As for me, I hope Heacock turns down the NFL.... for the 2nd time....

The talent on defense is the only reason that Heacock looks halfway decent.
The last drive, all of the blitzing is why Texas scored, anyone can see that.
As far as the offense goes, Boekman was playing great and he was on the bench in the 3rd quarter and that is Tress fault.

The Bucks should have won it but when your coaches stink that's what happens.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Yossarian wrote:YTB, I agree. Has anyone else thought of how many games are lost due to mental mistakes. No time out in this one, everyone in the box with time running out. Texas losing on a last second pass play when the db should have just pushed the guy out of bounds instead he went for the ball. To me there is not enough what we used to call skull sessions where the mental aspect is taught. The bucks lost because they didn't think. To me there is no excuse for that at this level players or coaches.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- thank you, i knew this comment would be controversial.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

fatalbert wrote:Tressell is the best coach in the NFL,and we have pee wee coaches on here saying they could have done better?

most of you would have peed down your leg when a big decision had to be made :roll: :roll:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- i knew being acoach, somebody woulfd go there. but you have timeoutsa , use them. i'm not even a good pimple on jt's butt. as far as coaching. but you cannot allow total chaos, when a team is driving , you have timeouts left, and don't prepare your team for proper scenarios. i feel we've been outcoached badly last 3 bcs games. nothing will change my mind. we were in a position to win, even without beanie. and giving up a mile passing. we blew it. bottom line.

Yossarian
Freshman Team

Post by Yossarian »

It's water under the bridge, woulda, coulda, shoulda, but did anyone else see a fumble out of bounds short of the spot on the 4th down conversion by Texas. I watched it several times and it appeared that there was a fumble after he had extended for the first down. The fumble was short and went out of bounds where the first official had marked the spot but was then overruled. If I saw it on replay, an official and the Ohio State bench may have seen it live. How did the replay miss it. The replay seemed to come back very fast on the challange. Maybe they weren't looking for anything other than the forward progress and missed it? Did anyone else see it?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

no i did not notice the fumble, but he original spot was short, then the ref completely across the field overruled it.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:no i did not notice the fumble, but he original spot was short, then the ref completely across the field overruled it.

The original spot was wrong and the ref completely across the field made the right call. Have you seen the video?

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

fightingtigers45 wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:no i did not notice the fumble, but he original spot was short, then the ref completely across the field overruled it.

The original spot was wrong and the ref completely across the field made the right call. Have you seen the video?

Watch for the fumble.

Return to “College Sports”